What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sirius NFL Radio going downhill (1 Viewer)

30 Rock

Footballguy
I love Sirius/XM NFL radio, or whatever it's called now, but it's getting harder and harder to listen to thanks to people selling their products. First I noticed Adam Schein selling his product (I can't even remember what it is, that's how effective it is). Then it was Tim Ryan's ridiculous pre-scripted conversation with Rosanne Barr that they try to make sound unscripted (like that ever works). Now today I'm listening and as I tune in Michael Strahan is giving some fairly interesting football analysis regarding the NFC East. Then out of nowhere he, with the eager help of Schein, start hyping some skin care product. WTF? How many millions has Strahan made and now he has to pollute NFL Radio with his product so he can make more money. This is sad. The NFL makes so much money and all they can think about is how they can make even more. Once again, no one cares about the fans. Am I the only one who feels this way?

That doesn't bother me near as much as "Solly" and Schein did. What an annoying pair. Glad they got that fixed. Now 2 shows are half annoying. :lmao:

The funny thing about the Rosanne Barr interview is that it's the same interview she does with Schein. Her dialogue is exactly the same, they just dubbed in different guys to use the ad on different shows. I turn the channel as soon as that commercial comes on.

I find myself listening less and less to NFL radio, though I still listen a good deal (just not as much as before). I like when the two hosts discuss topics between themselves, or when they have an interesting, insightful guest on the air. I can do without most of the callers. Most of the player interviews are uninteresting to me (cliches). Some coaches give good interviews, Madden is interesting (I actually like Madden more on the radio than on television).

Overall, Tim and Pat are my favorites. I was pissed when they moved them to 3 PM this season - just doesn't fit my typical driving schedule like their old time-slot did.

Tim Ryan and his "big dogs" , " hit the A gaps" , and his talk about everything BUT football drive me up the wall.

Plus, if I ever have to hear that drunk KC fan sing "Born to be wild" again , I will pull out my hair!

thank you

That doesn't bother me near as much as "Solly" and Schein did. What an annoying pair. Glad they got that fixed. Now 2 shows are half annoying. :goodposting:
I agree the Vegas schtick is very annoying. Schein has been/was doing that for a while, one of the worst adds on radio. Getting Schein back together with Riggins was a must for me to listen to that segment. There is something about Riggins that takes the edge off of Schein's annoying side of his personality. Before you could listen to the broadcasts over the internet I used to listen to Schein/Riggins on my way home from work (before the time switch with Tim and Pat), it was great entertainment. I got Sirius for the game broadcasts and living in a rural area ( Colorado Mtns.) satellite radio is a must. I am willing to put up with the BS. I do listen to other broadcasts as well.There is so much to listen too at work on the internet that I don't listen to Sirius as much as I used to anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
That stupid Barr commercial is also on FoxRadio. Andrew Siciliano and JT the Brick do the same interview as well.

The funny thing about the Rosanne Barr interview is that it's the same interview she does with Schein. Her dialogue is exactly the same, they just dubbed in different guys to use the ad on different shows. I turn the channel as soon as that commercial comes on.
Yeah, I've heard it on other channels like Raw Dog too. Same thing, different interviewer.
I find myself listening less and less to NFL radio, though I still listen a good deal (just not as much as before). I like when the two hosts discuss topics between themselves, or when they have an interesting, insightful guest on the air. I can do without most of the callers. Most of the player interviews are uninteresting to me (cliches). Some coaches give good interviews, Madden is interesting (I actually like Madden more on the radio than on television).
Completely agree. The callers waste time more than anything. The best parts for me are when the hosts just discuss football with each other. My favorite show was actually Steve Cohen and Cris Carter a few seasons ago but that pair isn't coming back. For now I like Papa and Sharpe, and anytime Tim Hasselbeck is on.

I love Sirius/XM NFL radio, or whatever it's called now, but it's getting harder and harder to listen to thanks to people selling their products. First I noticed Adam Schein selling his product (I can't even remember what it is, that's how effective it is). Then it was Tim Ryan's ridiculous pre-scripted conversation with Rosanne Barr that they try to make sound unscripted (like that ever works). Now today I'm listening and as I tune in Michael Strahan is giving some fairly interesting football analysis regarding the NFC East. Then out of nowhere he, with the eager help of Schein, start hyping some skin care product. WTF? How many millions has Strahan made and now he has to pollute NFL Radio with his product so he can make more money. This is sad. The NFL makes so much money and all they can think about is how they can make even more. Once again, no one cares about the fans. Am I the only one who feels this way?
It's radio and they need the ad revenue. Subscribers alone won't sustain their business model, so they build times into the broadcast for the personalities to shill for sponsors. I promise you, that's not an endorsement from Strahan. That time was bought and paid for by whatever product he's talking about.

That doesn't bother me near as much as "Solly" and Schein did. What an annoying pair. Glad they got that fixed. Now 2 shows are half annoying. :goodposting:
I love Solly. :goodposting: I mean, not THAT way.As I've said before, if you could get Kirwan and Solly on the drive home, eliminate most of the calls, I'd drive around 285 twice. Ryan is ok, but his attempts to "talk street" grate on me. Still, he's in the top 5 on that network."Talk about it..."

Now today I'm listening and as I tune in Michael Strahan is giving some fairly interesting football analysis regarding the NFC East. Then out of nowhere he, with the eager help of Schein, start hyping some skin care product. WTF? How many millions has Strahan made and now he has to pollute NFL Radio with his product so he can make more money. This is sad.
Strahan was on Boomer & Carton on WFAN in NYC this morning, and they did the same kind of "unscripted" plug for his skin care product. They couched it by having the hosts make fun of him for endorsing such a "feminine" product, but his rebuttal was a pure commercial. So it's not just Sirius that does this.

It's radio and they need the ad revenue. Subscribers alone won't sustain their business model, so they build times into the broadcast for the personalities to shill for sponsors. I promise you, that's not an endorsement from Strahan. That time was bought and paid for by whatever product he's talking about.
Radio has come up with a way for us to pay for commercial radio just like we are now paying for commercial TV.

In my new Chevy you can only get XM and they haven't moved/combined channels yet. :wall:

Iwould listen to that commercial 100 times to get my NFL back.

Radio has come up with a way for us to pay for commercial radio just like we are now paying for commercial TV.
Too true. I was shocked when I heard my first commercial on sirius. I suppose I can understand it on a live broadcast, the hosts need breaks, etc., but even between the comedy clips, which are no different than the songs. I mean, at least the music is commercial free, but dang. And the same stupid commercials over and over and over.

munchkin said:
yellowdog said:
GoBirds said:
In my new Chevy you can only get XM and they haven't moved/combined channels yet. :lmao: Iwould listen to that commercial 100 times to get my NFL back.
Try channel 105.
There is an additional fee to get the "Best of Sirius" if you are an XM subscriber.
Whats the fee? WTF, so they aren't going to include it without paying more?

munchkin said:
yellowdog said:
GoBirds said:
In my new Chevy you can only get XM and they haven't moved/combined channels yet. :excited: Iwould listen to that commercial 100 times to get my NFL back.
Try channel 105.
There is an additional fee to get the "Best of Sirius" if you are an XM subscriber.
When did they include it without paying? It just happened, and they're charging a bit more for the added content and, of course, hoping people will sign on for another year. I'm going the other way, have sirius and can pay extra for the "best of XM", but the only thing they have I'm interested in is the PGA Tour, so I elected not to sign up and am paying nothing extra. I'm sure I'll get hit on my next annual sign up.Am I missing something here?

Theres no way to completely avoid commercials whether it be on radio or television. You know this already...Plus, Sirius radio has less sponsors and commercials than regular radio. Its tolerable...

Theres no way to completely avoid commercials whether it be on radio or television. You know this already...Plus, Sirius radio has less sponsors and commercials than regular radio. Its tolerable...
I'm fine with commercials in between segments, but it is irritating when they sell products during segments. If I like a particular host the last thing I need to hear is his voice selling a product. That's one big reason why I don't listen to ESPN Radio.

T Rock and PK are great IMO

Shannon Sharpe constantly saing "Papa" when he's on in the morning makes me insane!

I love when they play the voice over guy saying "RANDY CROSS" after Randy Cross says one of his off the wall statements!

T Rock and PK are great IMO

Shannon Sharpe constantly saing "Papa" when he's on in the morning makes me insane!

I love when they play the voice over guy saying "RANDY CROSS" after Randy Cross says one of his off the wall statements!
Thats a great call. Randy Cross is a favorite.

haha...that phoney roseanne barr ad cracks me up it's so stupid.

it's on every station using whoever hosts the show, they put it on every 5 min, then figure people are getting tricked into thinking it's some kind of interview.

they've done that ad for a long time using other washed up celebs, like tonya roberts, I think.

and at the end they always have to remind you to call right away since space is limited - lol.

there's this ad that's probably been on chicago radio for 5 years ---- a guy's selling copiers and every month he's pimping the same exact 'special' as the previous month, telling everyone to hurry up and call because product is limited.

you have to listen to this over and over, month after month, year after year.

I always wonder what they were thinking when they came up w/these stupid ads, but I guess we're talking about them and completely forgetting a dozen others.

munchkin said:
yellowdog said:
GoBirds said:
In my new Chevy you can only get XM and they haven't moved/combined channels yet. :wall: Iwould listen to that commercial 100 times to get my NFL back.
Try channel 105.
When did they include it without paying? It just happened, and they're charging a bit more for the added content and, of course, hoping people will sign on for another year. I'm going the other way, have sirius and can pay extra for the "best of XM", but the only thing they have I'm interested in is the PGA Tour, so I elected not to sign up and am paying nothing extra. I'm sure I'll get hit on my next annual sign up.Am I missing something here?
As a note, the fee is $4 extra

Anyone bashing Wilcots is nuts. Period. Solly is almost always spot-on and he knows his [crap]. Schein's gotten awfully full of himself in this role and yeah, his voice and a few of his mannerisms can be annoying, but Adam knows his stuff too. Those guys were great together and at least Solomon did his homework before each and every show because he's a pro's pro.

I started listening to the Blitz with the original broadcast team (Schein and Riggo) and let me tell you that while I was very pumped when it was announced Riggins was coming back - and I was only happy Solly was rolling off that show because he is being groomed to run his own show - Riggins has been almost atrocious since returning. He's ill-prepared for most segments and he seems very detached from the league as a whole for whatever reason. While I'm willing to give him some time to knock the rust off, I hate to disagree with the Schein bashers (OK, I kinda like it actually) but the guy is at least unique in his style and delivery and comes ready to entertain and enlighten daily. Per the show's ramp up, there's not a day that goes by that at least one nugget of useful knowledge or info isn't gleaned from listening to that show.

As for the other shows, there does actually come a time when enough is enough with too much NFL chit chat, but Movin' The Chains with Pat and Tim as mentioned, is a darn solid show. T-Rock's got his lingo and all but he's a cool dude and Kirwan is hands-down, the channel's ace in the hole whether people realize it or not. No one is more respected on that channel by his peers and the various members of the League than Pat Kirwan, IMO.

I can live without the rest of the shows and hosts. Papa and Sharpe are OK, but on radio, Shannon's not fit to carry Dan Reeves dirty old jock. Reeves and Papa were awesome as the former Morning Drive duo and Cross is a freaking tool.

Last edited by a moderator:
SpecOpLoad said:
T Rock and PK are great IMOShannon Sharpe constantly saing "Papa" when he's on in the morning makes me insane!I love when they play the voice over guy saying "RANDY CROSS" after Randy Cross says one of his off the wall statements!
RANDY CROSSSSSSSS!openly ripping on a poor statement he made, hilarious.

Users who are viewing this thread