What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sneak Peek at the Draft GM App (1 Viewer)

tombonneau said:
Great news, can't wait to download the app. I've been a loyal subscriber to this site for 10+ years, the forums are invaluable, as well as the daily email updates, DD, rankings, articles, everything. I have ZERO problem shelling out $5-10 bucks for an iOS app in addition to my subscription fee. People need to understand FBG is a business. Your $30/mo was pretty much the same number it was 10 years ago, which means it does not reflect the investment of FBG in development cost for mobile apps. They obviously have to turn a profit on this investment and are going to charge for it. If you don't want to pay, don't download it. It's not like you have a God-given right to get a free mobile app just because you shell out a whopping $30 a year for site access. And I applaud Joe & Co. for shifting focus from the DD to these mobile apps for live drafting. Mobile it's the future, it's the now.
I agree with most of your point but let's not pretend that the DD has been a point of focus in recent years.

tombonneau said:
Great news, can't wait to download the app. I've been a loyal subscriber to this site for 10+ years, the forums are invaluable, as well as the daily email updates, DD, rankings, articles, everything. I have ZERO problem shelling out $5-10 bucks for an iOS app in addition to my subscription fee. People need to understand FBG is a business. Your $30/mo was pretty much the same number it was 10 years ago, which means it does not reflect the investment of FBG in development cost for mobile apps. They obviously have to turn a profit on this investment and are going to charge for it. If you don't want to pay, don't download it. It's not like you have a God-given right to get a free mobile app just because you shell out a whopping $30 a year for site access. And I applaud Joe & Co. for shifting focus from the DD to these mobile apps for live drafting. Mobile it's the future, it's the now.
I agree with most of your point but let's not pretend that the DD has been a point of focus in recent years.
True. I've actually found it pretty buggy the last few years, ironically IMO due to being overdeveloped. Just too many bells & whistles led to feature creep and rankings just seemed off when compared to VBD spreadsheet. I really was just using it to keep track of my draft more than anything.

Still a revolutionary product that really helped me out in the early years.

I will reiterate these questions:How does it differ from DD?

If you purchase the app, are updates free going forward, or included in your FBG Subscription, or are you required to buy the app new every year?

Also, do you need a subscription to use the FBG updated data to use the app?

As a beta tester of the Draft GM, trust me when I say that this app will be well worth whatever nominal fee fbg charges for it.

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback so far. Really useful to hear what people think of it so far!

The app won't have auction support at first. We've worked really hard on getting this thing stable, and developed from a really solid base for when it first launches.

Unlike the Footballguys mobile app, there's no way of doing a "free for the first 2 weeks of the season" kind of deal. Without this, it's not possible to release to subscribers only without falling into Apple's "limited audience" rule.

I absolutely hear the Android comments. We will have this on Android this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
People need to understand FBG is a business. Your $30/mo was pretty much the same number it was 10 years ago, which means it does not reflect the investment of FBG in development cost for mobile apps. They obviously have to turn a profit on this investment and are going to charge for it.
This is off base.

First off, 10 years ago, an annual subscription was $19.95. I'm not saying it's a problem to increase the rate over a decade, just saying that your statement here is wrong.

Also, suggesting that no increase in rate means new apps were not covered is also misleading. I expect that the number of subscribers today is significantly more than it was 10 years ago, meaning that, even if the rate did not increase, there would be more revenue to cover new apps.

Hey Guys. Sorry for the delay, we've been working out getting things going with Apple. Two things real quick.

The price for the Draft GM App is going to be $2.99.

And to make sure we're totally clear with everyone, the next app that we'll be offering will be the Footballguys Draft Kit. It's going to be $4.99. It's going to include the Draft GM and integrate it into a magazine style content and analysis and information package.

The Draft Kit will be available a couple of weeks after the Draft GM is available. We just wanted to make sure people were aware the Draft GM would be included in the Draft Kit a little later. There will only be one price of $4.99 for the Draft Kit. (there will not be a Draft Kit that does not include the Draft GM) So if you want the Draft GM when it comes out, go for it at $2.99. If you want to wait a couple of weeks and get the Footballguys Draft Kit which will include the Draft GM plus the magazine style content, it's $4.99.

Thanks.

J

Just Win Baby said:
People need to understand FBG is a business. Your $30/mo was pretty much the same number it was 10 years ago, which means it does not reflect the investment of FBG in development cost for mobile apps. They obviously have to turn a profit on this investment and are going to charge for it.
This is off base.

First off, 10 years ago, an annual subscription was $19.95. I'm not saying it's a problem to increase the rate over a decade, just saying that your statement here is wrong.

Also, suggesting that no increase in rate means new apps were not covered is also misleading. I expect that the number of subscribers today is significantly more than it was 10 years ago, meaning that, even if the rate did not increase, there would be more revenue to cover new apps.
Ha I didn't realize those thieves had increased the sub that much! ;) I guess I thought it was $24.95 back in the day. Either way worth every penny.

I guess I just get ruffled when the masses complain about paying $2 or $3 for an app on their $500 iPhone. It's part of the Internet Era mentality of I want everything I want it whenever I want it and I shouldn't have to pay anything for it and GOD HELP YOU IF I HAVE TO SEE AN AD.

I will reiterate these questions:

How does it differ from DD?

If you purchase the app, are updates free going forward, or included in your FBG Subscription, or are you required to buy the app new every year?

Also, do you need a subscription to use the FBG updated data to use the app?
Hi Leeroy.

It's quite a bit different than the DD. For one, the processing power of the laptop or desktop allows for more power in crunching / computing so the DD is more powerful. If you love the DD, you may very well want to stick with it. This is not a "DD for the iPad" type product. It's a ground up new design. I think it's more intuitive and easier to use than the DD. It feels and looks more like an app in 2013 looks.

If you purchase the Draft GM app for $2.99, that includes updates for all of 2013 preseason. The app does not carry over to the 2014 season.

The Footballguys Insider subscription is totally unrelated to the Draft GM app. You do not need a Footballguys Insider subscription whatsoever to use the Draft GM app.

J

What's the difference between the draft gm app, draft kit app, and draft dominator?
The Draft Dominator is our software program we've had for a long while. You download it and it resides on your desktop or laptop. You can get it for free here http://footballguys.com/13download2.php To get updated projections loaded into the Draft Dominator automatically, that requires a Footballguys Insider Subscription.

The Draft GM is a totally separate stand alone app for tablets and phones. More info here.

The Footballguys Draft Kit will include the Draft GM app, plus magazine style content with articles and features and analysis.

J

Regarding Android timelines, we're on this. We'll be testing in June.
Google’s Android Apps Are Overtaking Apple By 500 Million Monthly Downloadshttp://www.businessinsider.com/googles-android-apps-overtake-apple-2013-6

Just sayin...
Hi Buddy,

I'm really interested in this. I love my Android Galaxy S4 and the plan is definitely to have this in Android.

But virtually everyone I talk to says "Android guys make a lot of noise about wanting the app and say they're as popular as Apple. And in the end, you won't sell hardly any Android apps because Android users whine and never buy the app. You'll sell TONS more in the Apple store than you will to Android users."

You think this will play out this way for us? I'm interested to see.

J

Google’s Android Apps Are Overtaking Apple By 500 Million Monthly Downloads

http://www.businessinsider.com/googles-android-apps-overtake-apple-2013-6

Just sayin...
Hi Buddy,

I'm really interested in this. I love my Android Galaxy S4 and the plan is definitely to have this in Android.

But virtually everyone I talk to says "Android guys make a lot of noise about wanting the app and say they're as popular as Apple. And in the end, you won't sell hardly any Android apps because Android users whine and never buy the app. You'll sell TONS more in the Apple store than you will to Android users."

J
I have had a bunch of friends switch from Apple to Android in the past year and none switch from android to apple. I have all of my employees on android/Google products and I am seeing more and more companies showing interest in Google apps. From what I understand android is much easier to deal with and Google Play is much easier to get into.

Just sayin...
Hi Buddy,

J
I have had a bunch of friends switch from Apple to Android in the past year and none switch from android to apple. I have all of my employees on android/Google products and I am seeing more and more companies showing interest in Google apps.From what I understand android is much easier to deal with and Google Play is much easier to get into.
Yes, not doubting how many Android users there are. What I'm saying is that many people I talk to about apps say that without question, Android people will talk real loud and will talk about how many users are switching to android and then the bottom line is we'll sell TONS more apple apps than android apps. They say to avoid even offering Android versions as compared to Apple app buyers, the Android users are all talk and no action.

Wondering how that will play out for us. You think it'll be that way for us where we have way more apple buyers than android buyers?

J

Just sayin...
Hi Buddy,

J
I have had a bunch of friends switch from Apple to Android in the past year and none switch from android to apple. I have all of my employees on android/Google products and I am seeing more and more companies showing interest in Google apps.From what I understand android is much easier to deal with and Google Play is much easier to get into.
Yes, not doubting how many Android users there are. What I'm saying is that many people I talk to about apps say that without question, Android people will talk real loud and will talk about how many users are switching to android and then the bottom line is we'll sell TONS more apple apps than android apps. They say to avoid even offering Android versions as compared to Apple app buyers, the Android users are all talk and no action.

Wondering how that will play out for us. You think it'll be that way for us where we have way more apple buyers than android buyers?

J
I think you missed my point. More apple users are becoming android users thus the buyers of apps should be increasing on the android side. I purchase numerous apps but I do try the "lite" version first. Android had a 51% share of app downloads to apples 40% however iOS out sells android by over 3:1 as far as $ goes. I think this number could be skewed by app prices and not the actual number of paid apps sold (can't find that data).

Just sayin...
Hi Buddy,

J

J
No wonder when people openly display such attitude towards their largest pool of potential customers. (And btw not referring to you Joe)

Just sayin...
Hi Buddy,

J

J
No wonder when people openly display such attitude towards their largest pool of potential customers. (And btw not referring to you Joe)
Hi elshagon,

My hope is we get to prove all these people wrong that are telling me people won't buy Android apps. I love my Android phone and I buy apps. I tend to think others will too. But we'll see. We'll know pretty soon and I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

J

What's the difference between the draft gm app, draft kit app, and draft dominator?
The Draft Dominator is our software program we've had for a long while. You download it and it resides on your desktop or laptop. You can get it for free here http://footballguys.com/13download2.php To get updated projections loaded into the Draft Dominator automatically, that requires a Footballguys Insider Subscription.

The Draft GM is a totally separate stand alone app for tablets and phones. More info here.

The Footballguys Draft Kit will include the Draft GM app, plus magazine style content with articles and features and analysis.

J
I guess I'm confused about what the "extra power" of DD really is in general. Both DD and the Draft GM utilize the same data, right? You put in your scoring system the same in both? The lists update when a player is picked to show you the best next player for your team, right?

What are the actual tangible differences to using one or the other on draft day?

Just sayin...
Hi Buddy,

J

J
Hi elshagon,

My hope is we get to prove all these people wrong that are telling me people won't buy Android apps. I love my Android phone and I buy apps. I tend to think others will too. But we'll see. We'll know pretty soon and I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

J
Joe, your concern is mostly true, I wish I could find the article I was reading the a few weeks ago. But as of Q1 2013 Apple and Google are roughly neck and neck in terms of overall App downloads (I think it's something like 51% for Google and 41% for Apple in worldwide download market share). However of worldwide downloads Apple after Q1 2013 is responsible for 74% of all paid app sale revenue worldwide. Essentially, Android users really do not buy apps. You'd probably make significantly more on the Android market with a ad driven free version of the Draft GM app vs a paid $2.99 version because it's just how the Android 'open source' mentality works. These numbers might be off a tiny bit but it gives you the general idea, if I find the article I'll edit this post.

Just sayin...
Hi Buddy,

J

J
Hi elshagon,

J
Joe, your concern is mostly true, I wish I could find the article I was reading the a few weeks ago. But as of Q1 2013 Apple and Google are roughly neck and neck in terms of overall App downloads (I think it's something like 51% for Google and 41% for Apple in worldwide download market share). However of worldwide downloads Apple after Q1 2013 is responsible for 74% of all paid app sale revenue worldwide. Essentially, Android users really do not buy apps. You'd probably make significantly more on the Android market with a ad driven free version of the Draft GM app vs a paid $2.99 version because it's just how the Android 'open source' mentality works. These numbers might be off a tiny bit but it gives you the general idea, if I find the article I'll edit this post.
First of all 51-41 is not neck and neck and that margin will continue to grow as Androids over all market share becomes larger and larger.

As for FBG's and their new app I think it will be a major mistake if they do not offer an ad supported version and a paid version. They wont miss out on revenue and they make the customer happy by giving them a choice.

Edit: here is a pretty good break down http://techland.time.com/2013/04/16/ios-vs-android/

Just sayin...
Hi Buddy,

J

J
Hi elshagon,

J
First of all 51-41 is not neck and neck and that margin will continue to grow as Androids over all market share becomes larger and larger.

As for FBG's and their new app I think it will be a major mistake if they do not offer an ad supported version and a paid version. They wont miss out on revenue and they make the customer happy by giving them a choice.

Edit: here is a pretty good break down http://techland.time.com/2013/04/16/ios-vs-android/
Okay sure, bad choice in words on 'neck and neck'. It's also not Android blowing Apple out of the water either. That said, the article still proves my point which was even though Android users amount for 51% of total downloaded App's in the world. Apple amounts for 74% of all app sales and revenue compared to Android's 20%. Which means even with an extra 11% in total downloads they are experiencing 54% less revenue from paid apps via Android. There's a reason a lot of the bigger app developers that sell some of the more expensive apps (say $5+) won't develop on Android. It's because of the profit availability.

We will not be offering any ad supported versions. We pretty much hate ads and have significantly de-emphasized them on our site as well. On mobile screens, the real estate is far too valuable (and the revenue too small) to use ads. Our strategy is to price the apps competitively. We are at $2.99 for the Draft GM and will be at $4.99 for the Magazine Plus Draft GM.

We will not be offering any ad supported versions. We pretty much hate ads and have significantly de-emphasized them on our site as well. On mobile screens, the real estate is far too valuable (and the revenue too small) to use ads. Our strategy is to price the apps competitively. We are at $2.99 for the Draft GM and will be at $4.99 for the Magazine Plus Draft GM.
Oh I don't blame you. I personally despise ads as well and even for the few iOS apps that have an ad supported free version I always buy the paid version. I'm just saying on Android this mentality is less agreed upon.

David - the sneak peak mentions its compatible with keeper leagues. Does that mean there's a way to import our existing leagues similar to how DD imports our MFL leagues?

Regardless, it seems even the $4.99 price will be well worth it just to try it out.

Just sayin...
Hi Buddy,

J

J
Hi elshagon,

J
Well a lot of the article's quoted are old, and data has changed. This article is newer (August 2012) and shows data indicating Android is catching the iphone as far as paid apps being downloaded per user as well. http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/116866-android-users-finally-buying-paid-apps

"The theory that Android smartphone users don't buy apps is wrong, according to new data that shows 93 per cent of Android phone owners are buying apps rather than just downloading free ones.

In a recent survey by Android keyboard developer Swiftkey, the data reveals that twice the number of Android owners own more than 20 apps compared to users last year...Now in 2012 the difference is minimal: 7 per cent of Android users have not bought a single app compared to only 6 per cent of Apple users."

Amused to Death said:
David - the sneak peak mentions its compatible with keeper leagues. Does that mean there's a way to import our existing leagues similar to how DD imports our MFL leagues?

Regardless, it seems even the $4.99 price will be well worth it just to try it out.
There is no import, but you can define keepers to teams within a league. You can then keep copying over that format and practice a bunch of mocks. The Draft GM costs just $2.99

Will the extra things you get with the draft kit be anything different from the content on the site?

I also still do not fully understand where the DD is superior, what does it do that the mobile app does not?

Will the extra things you get with the draft kit be anything different from the content on the site?

I also still do not fully understand where the DD is superior, what does it do that the mobile app does not?
Everything in the Draft Kit/Magazine will be content that eventually appears on the website. Some things are released in the magazine first.

Everything in the Draft Kit/Magazine will be content that eventually appears on the website. Some things are released in the magazine first.
Is there any current ETA for the full draft kit launch?

Is there any current ETA for the full draft kit launch?
We will start testing around June 15th. We anticipate sending it to Apple a week later and then are at the mercy of their review times.

I think you guys (FBG) are missing the point when it comes to questions regarding the differences between the two products. I would suggest a side-by-side comparison of the features that each of the products provides. These are what I believe those who are asking want to know.

You (Joe and David) seem to be trying to answer specific questions, when you really could accomplish it all with a comprehensive table listing all available features between the two and a check box indicating whether each individual product is capable of said features.

I won't be purchasing the DraftGM app, as I don't own a single device I could use it on, but I am curious to know which features are provided in which product and which are not.

That, and some more info on which improvements/upgrades will be made to the Draft Dominator this year. The free version is out, but nothing is different from last year. I am sincerely hoping the first subscriber version of 2013 will have some improvements/upgrades, but I'm not holding my breath.

The biggest feature to me is to have everything I need on draft day on my ipad. No clumsy laptop to deal with or shuffling papers around. This is all assuming the app works as advertised.

I think you guys (FBG) are missing the point when it comes to questions regarding the differences between the two products. I would suggest a side-by-side comparison of the features that each of the products provides. These are what I believe those who are asking want to know.

You (Joe and David) seem to be trying to answer specific questions, when you really could accomplish it all with a comprehensive table listing all available features between the two and a check box indicating whether each individual product is capable of said features.

I won't be purchasing the DraftGM app, as I don't own a single device I could use it on, but I am curious to know which features are provided in which product and which are not.

That, and some more info on which improvements/upgrades will be made to the Draft Dominator this year. The free version is out, but nothing is different from last year. I am sincerely hoping the first subscriber version of 2013 will have some improvements/upgrades, but I'm not holding my breath.
This is actually a phenomenal idea. Just a small info graphic comparison table between the two. It'd be insanely helpful to people trying to debate if it's worth purchasing the iPad app along with their subscription. Personally as long as it has most of the same features as DD I'll be buying a copy as the idea of having to just carry my iPad to the draft instead of a laptop bag and charger sounds practically orgasmic. I've been wanting to do that since the iPad came out and just never had a way of making DD work through it. Last year I almost setup LogMeIn on my home PC and remotely used it via my iPad but it was too slow for my comfort. Personally, I can't wait for this.

Guys, the app is going to be $2.99. Just bite the bullet and check it out if you end up on the fence.
Oh, I have nothing but the fullest intentions on doing so. I'm already paying for the subscription to FBG so even if I end up not liking the app and revert back to DD it's $3 out of my pocket. That's less than I spend every morning on a coffee and a bottle of water, I think I'll survive if I don't like the app.

Guys, the app is going to be $2.99. Just bite the bullet and check it out if you end up on the fence.
I'm pretty sure that price isn't really the issue anymore, as it seems like a reasonable price (to me) for the app(s). The difference in features being provided by each product (or not) seems to be the question being most asked at this time.

I am sure at some point we could do this feature comparison (or some user will), but it is an extremely low priority. Apps running on little phones have significant limitations that giant desktops do not in terms of display. These two products (the Draft Dominator and Draft GM) are never going to merge into exact products. They are inherently different in their approach. Both are very powerful in their own right. Our goal though is to keep improving both products to satisfy the majority of our customers.

Wanted to pitch in some thoughts...Am a long time user of Draft Dominator on PC, and I helped Beta test the Draft GM...on both iPad3 and iPhone5.

1. Was an Android user for about 3 years, switched to iPhone5 in January after getting hooked on iPad for casual browsing, reading, app usage. Have found iPhone to be much more intuitive, fewer problems, fewer 'bum' applications that are either not as designed or eventually completely lose support (or later are given away for free)!

2. What is Draft GM? It has the 'feel' of some of the better Mock Draft applications online...large Draft Board, with the ability to click over and see team rosters, rank players, create a player queue, and see VBD and ADP rankings of players (as well as click to Player news and Injury Reports). Use it to Mock draft or Manage a face-to-face league draft.

3. Draft GM Customizability (is that a word? anyways...): You can set Roster requirements (IDP included) and Scoring settings (right down to sliding scale PPR) and save those settings for your Leagues. It has the ability to add and save your entire League's teams, as well as keepers, and even switch around the Draft order (without having to re-enter the keepers! That was a pet-peeve of mine with Draft Dominator). You can have the Artificial Intelligence automatically pick for other teams during Mock drafts (and make the AI more or less 'smarter' for each team). You can manually enter picks as you might if you use it as a tool for your actual draft. Would be SWEET if someone hosting your draft has Apple TV, b/c you can transmit the output of iPad wirelessly to a TV with Apple TV. Also, another very nice feature: you can export and email the results of any draft in csv format, readable by Excel.

4. Draft GM Usability The 'draft board' lends itself much more nicely to the iPad. On the small bit of real estate on the iPhone, you can only see about 10 picks at a time (one round at a time). But, if you wanted to do a Mock draft on line at the Grocery on iPhone, go for it. I could see using Draft GM on iPad for ALL my mock draft needs. Easy to switch Draft positions of all teams and maintain keeper data. To me, that alone is worth the $2.99. I might also try to use it for my face-to-face draft draftboard (if can get someone to bring an Apple TV box).

5. What I will use Draft Dominator for even if I own Draft GM? : DDodds mentions it above, but Draft Dominator has more number crunching power behind it on PC, so has alot more data. I am pretty sure you cannot enter your own data / rankings for players on Draft GM, so if you are spending weeks preparing for your draft by customizing projections and want more than VDB and ADP at your fingertips, you need Draft Dominator at your draft

I could see using DraftGM for Mocks and maybe managing the League draft on draft day, but using DDominator to help drive my own personal picks.

A bit off topic, but I am assuming all the content that will be available in the Draft Kit/Magazine will also be available (or be derived from) premium content from the paid FBG site?

A bit off topic, but I am assuming all the content that will be available in the Draft Kit/Magazine will also be available (or be derived from) premium content from the paid FBG site?
Hi Black,

Yes. The content that is on the Draft Kit / Magazine will also be on the FBG Insider.

J

Wanted to pitch in some thoughts...Am a long time user of Draft Dominator on PC, and I helped Beta test the Draft GM...on both iPad3 and iPhone5.

1. Was an Android user for about 3 years, switched to iPhone5 in January after getting hooked on iPad for casual browsing, reading, app usage. Have found iPhone to be much more intuitive, fewer problems, fewer 'bum' applications that are either not as designed or eventually completely lose support (or later are given away for free)!

2. What is Draft GM? It has the 'feel' of some of the better Mock Draft applications online...large Draft Board, with the ability to click over and see team rosters, rank players, create a player queue, and see VBD and ADP rankings of players (as well as click to Player news and Injury Reports). Use it to Mock draft or Manage a face-to-face league draft.

3. Draft GM Customizability (is that a word? anyways...): You can set Roster requirements (IDP included) and Scoring settings (right down to sliding scale PPR) and save those settings for your Leagues. It has the ability to add and save your entire League's teams, as well as keepers, and even switch around the Draft order (without having to re-enter the keepers! That was a pet-peeve of mine with Draft Dominator). You can have the Artificial Intelligence automatically pick for other teams during Mock drafts (and make the AI more or less 'smarter' for each team). You can manually enter picks as you might if you use it as a tool for your actual draft. Would be SWEET if someone hosting your draft has Apple TV, b/c you can transmit the output of iPad wirelessly to a TV with Apple TV. Also, another very nice feature: you can export and email the results of any draft in csv format, readable by Excel.

4. Draft GM Usability The 'draft board' lends itself much more nicely to the iPad. On the small bit of real estate on the iPhone, you can only see about 10 picks at a time (one round at a time). But, if you wanted to do a Mock draft on line at the Grocery on iPhone, go for it. I could see using Draft GM on iPad for ALL my mock draft needs. Easy to switch Draft positions of all teams and maintain keeper data. To me, that alone is worth the $2.99. I might also try to use it for my face-to-face draft draftboard (if can get someone to bring an Apple TV box).

5. What I will use Draft Dominator for even if I own Draft GM? : DDodds mentions it above, but Draft Dominator has more number crunching power behind it on PC, so has alot more data. I am pretty sure you cannot enter your own data / rankings for players on Draft GM, so if you are spending weeks preparing for your draft by customizing projections and want more than VDB and ADP at your fingertips, you need Draft Dominator at your draft

I could see using DraftGM for Mocks and maybe managing the League draft on draft day, but using DDominator to help drive my own personal picks.
:thumbup: Much thanks.

J

Users who are viewing this thread