What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sober February (5 Viewers)

I'm on Day Three, and as in past times when I've given it up, the first day was easy and the second was much more challenging. Then today I hit the typical stresser that would cause me to "need" a drink - work. Major personnel issues that are taking up all my time, causing angst and worse throughout the team. In fact, I've closed my computer for the rest of the day and am taking off until tomorrow. These are the circumstances where I most strongly want a drink, but just saying no this time. It'll pass.

If you drink beer try Stella NA. When I crave a beer I have 2 of these. Best NA I have found.

I don't drink beer but will let Mr. krista know as he's been in the market for good NA beer. I tried a non-alcoholic wine a while back and it was gross. They're pretty expensive considering they're crap, so I'm not sure I want to try another, but there are a dozen or so at the grocery down the hill so might grab one sometime.

Doing OK here on Day Five, but my sleep continues to be completely whacked. Every night, it takes me 3-4 hours to fall asleep. Really looking forward to turning the corner into that "you get better quality sleep when you don't drink" thing. I'm starting to think that's just a myth propagated by Big Mocktail.

I agree, Stella is the only one I had that is decent but is 10 bucks a 6 pack.

When I went 2 months without a drink I really did not sleep any better. I wake up every couple hours if I drink or don`t drink. I took melatonin 2 hours before bed and that helped.

I'm on Day Three, and as in past times when I've given it up, the first day was easy and the second was much more challenging. Then today I hit the typical stresser that would cause me to "need" a drink - work. Major personnel issues that are taking up all my time, causing angst and worse throughout the team. In fact, I've closed my computer for the rest of the day and am taking off until tomorrow. These are the circumstances where I most strongly want a drink, but just saying no this time. It'll pass.

If you drink beer try Stella NA. When I crave a beer I have 2 of these. Best NA I have found.

I don't drink beer but will let Mr. krista know as he's been in the market for good NA beer. I tried a non-alcoholic wine a while back and it was gross. They're pretty expensive considering they're crap, so I'm not sure I want to try another, but there are a dozen or so at the grocery down the hill so might grab one sometime.

Doing OK here on Day Five, but my sleep continues to be completely whacked. Every night, it takes me 3-4 hours to fall asleep. Really looking forward to turning the corner into that "you get better quality sleep when you don't drink" thing. I'm starting to think that's just a myth propagated by Big Mocktail.

I agree, Stella is the only one I had that is decent but is 10 bucks a 6 pack.

When I went 2 months without a drink I really did not sleep any better. I wake up every couple hours if I drink or don`t drink. I took melatonin 2 hours before bed and that helped.
Same. But I do notice a big difference with two things.
First, wine is the absolute worst for me. Can’t sleep, restless, and feel like crap Even if I only have one (albeit, probably equal to two).
Second, timing matters. If I drink within an hour of going to bed I’m in for worse sleep. If I stop at dinner I’m usually good to go.

I was listening to music yesterday and sometimes listening to music can make me hyper. I really wanted a drink, but instead I chewed some gum. I went sorta wild with that, and chewed almost a whole pack, and this morning my jaw hurt a little. I hope I didn't loosen any teeth from all the chewing. I didn't wiggle any to test it out.

Other than yesterday, I haven't really wanted a drink over the last week. My stomach has had waves of queasiness for several days now, so I haven't really felt like it. It comes and goes. I ate a very spicy dish on New Years Eve, plus drank some bourbon, prosecco and red wine, and I think that woke up my hiatal hernia. I also started a new medication for a mystery ailment on the 2nd, and that too could be bothering my belly a bit. Even if I wasn't having some queasiness, I think it is in my best interest for my system to be clean starting that anyway. I'm staying dry in January.

Sincerely, Queasy in Carolina

Last edited:
Athletic Brewing makes the best NA beers that I've tried. Clausthaler would be 2nd. Followed by St Pauli.....I have not tried the Guinness one. Might have to give it a go.

If you like Guinness, it's good. Almost indistinguishable from the normal one. Even has the little plastic widget.

I was listening to music yesterday and sometimes listening to music can make me hyper. I really wanted a drink, but instead I chewed some gum. I went sorta wild with that, and chewed almost a whole pack, and this morning my jaw hurt a little. I hope I didn't loosen any teeth from all the chewing. I didn't wiggle any to test it out.

Other than yesterday, I haven't really wanted a drink over the last week. My stomach has had waves of queasiness for several days now, so I haven't really felt like it. It comes and goes. I ate a very spicy dish on New Years Eve, plus drank some bourbon, prosecco and red wine, and I think that woke up my hiatal hernia. I also started a new medication for a mystery ailment on the 2nd, and that too could be bothering my belly a bit. Even if I wasn't having some queasiness, I think it is in my best interest for my system to be clean starting that anyway. I'm staying dry in January.

Sincerely, Queasy in Carolina

Hope you feel better Simey.

I stopped drinking bourbon altogether. Even though I enjoy it I gave up bourbon, started getting wicked hangovers. No matter how many beers I drink I never feel that bad the next day, if I drink too much bourbon I am destroyed the next day..just a crappy feeling all day.

Man, I’m the opposite - beer makes me not sleep well and feel bloated for a day. Granted, maybe you are drinking piss water ;)

I stopped drinking bourbon altogether. Even though I enjoy it I gave up bourbon, started getting wicked hangovers. No matter how many beers I drink I never feel that bad the next day, if I drink too much bourbon I am destroyed the next day..just a crappy feeling all day.

Man, I’m the opposite - beer makes me not sleep well and feel bloated for a day. Granted, maybe you are drinking piss water ;)

I am, Lite beer only.

Man, I tried my first NA beer Friday as I tortured myself working from the local coffee/beer place. It was fine but not really worth it and on top of that I notice after I drank it it said it had 0.5% ABV.

Man, I tried my first NA beer Friday as I tortured myself working from the local coffee/beer place. It was fine but not really worth it and on top of that I notice after I drank it it said it had 0.5% ABV.
0.5 is basically nothing. If you drank 10 NAs it might be equal to one beer.

One thing that i found that helped me. Whenever I wanted a drink I had a 16oz glass of ice water. The craving went away.

Big obstacle up on the road ahead. Our boys have a camping trip Friday night through Sunday morning. These opportunities are rare. Wife suggested Atlantic City trip. I reminded her that we’re not drinking this month and that neither of us are big gamblers. She agreed and we both kind of sighed. If it was nice weather, sure, we’d go, but in January, and not drinking? I’m learning a lot about myself.

I second Athletic Brewing's NA offerings. They're local to me, so not sure how prevalent they are around the US.

It's amazing how much NA crap there is out there. We tried a NA gin and a rum, and ended up dumping the bottle(s) after one sip.

I had a couple Athletic Brewing NA IPA's last night at a FF playoff draft. They got the job done I guess. That's the most difficult thing for me. The social gatherings where other people are drinking. This was at my bro in laws house, and half the guys don't drink at it anyway.....real wild party

Friday will be more difficult. I have a playoff draft at a bar....and they have lots of good beer on tap. Luckily, the playoff drafts are relatively quick.

I second Athletic Brewing's NA offerings. They're local to me, so not sure how prevalent they are around the US.

It's amazing how much NA crap there is out there. We tried a NA gin and a rum, and ended up dumping the bottle(s) after one sip.

NA liquor is almost impossible I think. Plenty of people that try, but unlike beer, they generally taste NOTHING like the actual product.

I've tried a few NA whiskeys and not a single one of them was even on the same planet of flavor profiles as actual whiskey. Like not even resembling it.

Good luck……I always slept great with 3-4 glasses of wine. Took me about 6-7 years before I got used to sound sleep without alcohol. Flip side, in my experience people who get really blitzed never get quality sleep. A few hours into the night, the tossing and turning begins.

Anyway, just my experience! Good luck!!!

I'm not going cold turkey at any point, but I'm making a very conscious decision to just drink less in general. I'm trying very hard to not be hungover, because that destroys me. I don't sleep, it makes me anxious and I just can't function.
I totally quit during Hard 75 last year. It amazed me how much just one or two impacts you and you don't know it. Not going to preach to anyone, but give it a try for a couple of weeks and see if you feel like Superman.

I read a little about this but I'm not sure I can commit to the self help books part of this.

I'll be in here Mar-Apr. But I like my playoff football to come with beer.
The self help books could be about mining metals or the like.

So just....non-fiction?
Yeah. I read business books and FBG FF articles. Anything that "could" improve your life. I figured doing better in daily FF qualified. Cooking, grilling, whatever floats your boat. As a non-reader it was tough. I looked for books with big text and pictures. Knocking it out in the morning while enjoying a cup of coffee before the awful water torture made the most sense.
Yeah, the reading wasn’t bad at all. I read books on longevity, which reinforced the framework for healthy living.

Nowhere, anywhere was there an iota of evidence for the gallon-a-day drowning ritual.

NA liquor is almost impossible I think. Plenty of people that try, but unlike beer, they generally taste NOTHING like the actual product.

I've tried a few NA whiskeys and not a single one of them was even on the same planet of flavor profiles as actual whiskey. Like not even resembling it.
Thanks, I'll definitely stop testing liquor. We had moderate success with a variety of NA beers, thought a NA rum and coke would add some variety.

I figured whatever alcohol denaturing process they use for beer could be converted directly to any alcohol, but it was no bueno.

Day 8 in the books and honestly I both haven’t had any cravings but I also miss it.

I’m a nerdy beer, whiskey and cocktail drinker. I watch videos, read books and savor my imbibing. I like to hangout at our local beer house that has 50 beers on tap and sample.

Two weeks in - almost halfway there. Had a dinner last night with a bunch of friends so that was a little tough but other than that it’s been fairly smooth sailing.

Yeah, my ability to do this has been enhanced by just not having a lot of social activity. January helps in that regard.

I did have a big near-miss on Friday when I was in the midst of a very stressful work week and our heat went out. Some warming red wine would have been nice.

Big test for me was the Dolphins game on Saturday. First because I wanted a beer while watching the game. Then because I wanted a bourbon after that debacle 😢😢

Passed both tests, thankfully.

I will say I haven't felt as different as I expected. Feel good I guess but not superhuman or anything. I was excited to play pick-up basketball the other day as I thought it might help my endurance. I have a few runner friends that say if they have even one drink during the week it drastically impacts their runs and they have significantly more endurance when completely sober.

Sadly though, I was just as fat, old, and slow as ever.

Haven’t drank in 10 days. Last drink was skiing in mammoth. haven't missed it. I’ll probably have a drink in Utah when we go skiing in 10 days. I’m not adhering to any goal, it’s just sort of happened.

I will say I haven't felt as different as I expected. Feel good I guess but not superhuman or anything.

Same here. Maybe my expectations were too high.

I’ve definitely noticed my sleep has been better. But I also got so I so I’m fighting something and a hot toddy would be super nice at the moment.

So turns out the fighting something was Covid. Almost fully recovered but damn did I want to self-medicate with some bourbon this week.

Probably going to keep this going in February. No drinking for a month feels good, but I still want to layer on more improvements (diet, sleep, exercise, that kind of stuff).

So turns out the fighting something was Covid. Almost fully recovered but damn did I want to self-medicate with some bourbon this week.
I'm glad you're feeling better. I haven't drank any alcohol all month, but I did purchase a bottle of Eagle Rare on Saturday. I'm a fan of that bourbon, and it used to be easily found here in NC, but over the last 4 years it has been hard to find. Anyway, a friend that knows I like it called and told me he just left the ABC store, and that they had in some Eagle Rare with only 6 bottles left. I drove over and bought one, and I will save it for something special. 🥃

Probably going to keep this going in February. No drinking for a month feels good, but I still want to layer on more improvements (diet, sleep, exercise, that kind of stuff).
I'm not sure when in February I'll take that first sip. I know I will on Feb. 10th, cause I'm going to see a 70s cover band, and I'll have some drinks while shaking my booty. I've missed it much more on the weekends vs the week days. I'd like to better establish an exercise routine. I'll do it for a week then completely blow it off the next week. Sometimes I just feel fatigued, but I want to challenge myself to work through that.

Still sober for January. Not even really thinking about it. Which brings to mind this gem from the weekend. Made a batch of chili. Added some beer (maybe half a bottle), then decided to take a nice long swig. Then realized what I did. Poured the rest out. I think my sobriety remained intact but can't believe I did that without even thinking. Oh well.

Finished the 30 days. I do think it helped my sleep some and it’s good to reset and make sure there’s no issues but I did miss having a drink after a long work day or a beer on a Friday or watching a game. Going to try and move to no drinking Monday thru Thursday and limit it to Friday thru Sunday.

Finished the 30 days. I do think it helped my sleep some and it’s good to reset and make sure there’s no issues but I did miss having a drink after a long work day or a beer on a Friday or watching a game. Going to try and move to no drinking Monday thru Thursday and limit it to Friday thru Sunday.

This is what I'm going to do, too. As for us, didn't quite make it. Dipped in once a couple of weeks ago and then again last Thursday, or something like that. I just know we sucked, as it turned out.

Whew made it. Work's been an absolute ***** with our annual audit an normal year end filings and accountant deals with employees/clients in over 40 states. Been tempted many times to pour a stiff drink to unwind but been so damn exhausted once I sit down I'm too lazy to get up and pour one. Going to try to keep it going a bit, birthday's at the end of the month so not planning on going the whole month but at 34 days now and will try to hit 50.

I haven't had a drink since November and was planning on going all the way till super bowl... but tomorrow is going to be high 60s and Im taking the day off and playing golf. I'm sure that will include a couple beers. On a positive note, had my annual blood work done and my numbers were the best they've ever been. I'm down 14 pounds and feeling great. congrats to all that made it!

This is what I'm going to do, too. As for us, didn't quite make it. Dipped in once a couple of weeks ago and then again last Thursday, or something like that. I just know we sucked, as it turned out.

Did you guys have any of that nasty ice storm weather that paralyzed Portland proper? 5 days without power would have really tried my resolve for sober January. Our house was 40 degrees the entire time. Whole lotta family bonding and I'd like the thank the manufacturers of Boneyard beer and the gods of Rose wine for pulling me through.

Users who are viewing this thread