What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solar Panels buyers remorse (1 Viewer)

One more question for you guys. Do you think an e-mail with Subject line cancel contract . The body of the e-mail explaining why and again stating cancel contract will serve as proof that I was within the 72 hour time frame of cancelation for FL. I will also call them tomorrow and state the same. I'm just afraid  if I don't have something in writing they may try to get over on me.

One more question for you guys. Do you think an e-mail with Subject line cancel contract . The body of the e-mail explaining why and again stating cancel contract will serve as proof that I was within the 72 hour time frame of cancelation for FL. I will also call them tomorrow and state the same. I'm just afraid  if I don't have something in writing they may try to get over on me.
If they haven't placed any orders or started work, you should be able to cancel unless this is some kind of predatory contract and company. 

Any kind of reputable company would allow you to get out before anything is started.

rustycolts said:
Did you already pay anything?  Just sign a contract with intent to purchase?

I think I'd either call or email and not worry about it if I didn't pay for them yet.

Good thread.

Every time I pass through Florida I see more solar farms. Perhaps if they keep building on that trend the sunshine state's electric rates won't rise as fast as other places.

for S&Gs, looked at my current cost/kWh here in NYC- 10.6c

How does that compare with the rest of you?

My bill is $150-400 ($200 last month). for a tiny (1,100sf) 2BR apt in NYC. 

I considered doing panels and a battery backup, but Texas is predictably horrible for the incentive to do so.  

My system just got installed 2 weeks ago and got PTO (permission to operate) on Monday.  24 panels for 35k.  Designed to cover 105% of the yearly kWh’s averaged over the last couple years.  Live in So-Cal and had solar on my previous home for 10yrs, absolutely loved it and makes a ton of sense here financially.   

pollardsvision said:
Looking into getting them myself. A long time dear friend has a company that does the project management and my neighbor works for a local company that installs them (would likely do the work if I do it).

If I did it, as of now, the design would be an 8 kW system (22 panels) for $20K before the tax credit (about $15K after the credit). No batteries, of course, at that price.  Would cover about 75% of our energy needs. 

I'm fortunate to be dealing with people I trust, but I'm still pretty neurotic about the whole thing. I've been shown the fasteners used and trust the installers, but man, I still just hate the idea of people drilling into my roof. The roof is new, which is good, because I'd never consider it with anything other than a newish roof. The panels may protect the roof some, but surely they add a major cost when it comes to replacing it. 

Throw in freaking out about the weight of the panels and knowing I'm' losing money if I get behind on keeping the trees trimmed, and I'm a huge pain in the butt for my buddy.

Anyway, I hear ya Rusty. This is a stressful call. 
that’s a good price.  75% of your energy usage is a good target too.  I only had room for 18 panels which covers about 68% of mine.  I’m 5 years into a 12-year payoff and not planning on moving. That should def be a factor in any decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
We went through a solar panel installation a couple years ago @rustycolts.  Sorry I missed this.  There's a lot of good info in here, but some of it doesn't apply.  In the state of Florida, you get back in credits the same rate you'd be paying.  So if it's $1 per Kw, then you'd get a $1 back per Kw.  There is no negotiation (unless that's changed in the last 2 years).  You're also not allowed to produce back to the grid if there's an outage.  

To your specific question rusty, I think that's probably a bit much.  I paid a bit more than that for 4000 square foot house and it covers my monthly bill almost completely with the exception of July and August and Sept.  It wasn't uncommon (in a two story house with old AC unit) for our bill to be $700 some months.  Of course we added new windows, insulation etc as well as replaced the old AC unit, so it's not JUST the panels contributing to that reduction, but our bill is now basically break even each month.

My sincere advice to you is that if any comes to your door unsolicited and tries to sell you anything, don't do it.  Doesn't matter if it's solar panels or chimney cleaning.

We went through a solar panel installation a couple years ago @rustycolts.  Sorry I missed this.  There's a lot of good info in here, but some of it doesn't apply.  In the state of Florida, you get back in credits the same rate you'd be paying.  So if it's $1 per Kw, then you'd get a $1 back per Kw.  There is no negotiation (unless that's changed in the last 2 years).  You're also not allowed to produce back to the grid if there's an outage.  

To your specific question rusty, I think that's probably a bit much.  I paid a bit more than that for 4000 square foot house and it covers my monthly bill almost completely with the exception of July and August and Sept.  It wasn't uncommon (in a two story house with old AC unit) for our bill to be $700 some months.  Of course we added new windows, insulation etc as well as replaced the old AC unit, so it's not JUST the panels contributing to that reduction, but our bill is now basically break even each month.
Our home is just under 1700 Sq feet. Have a fairly new AC unit purchased 3 years ago Avg bill $260. Our bill for this month $206. Payment for solar $188. So savings not all that great in my opinion. 49 grand pretty intimidating.  I mean my last car cost me that but the financing for that was 3 years so big difference between that and 25 years. If I was wealthy then I would  seriously consider buying them outright then the savings would be worth it.

25 years to someone in there 20s or 30s is a lot different than to someone 65. I think that even if you paid cash it would take almost 16 years to pay off. 

I don't know what I was thinking when I went for this. It's just not the right time in life for us.

I want to thank everyone again for all the suggestions that's why these forums are great.

@The CommishI know what you mean about those 2 story homes. My daughter and son in law bought one in the historic district of Eustis. Great looking home but way too much home for first time home buyers in my opinion. I took one look at the homes 2 units and knew they were almost 20 years old. Tried to convince them that it might be smarter to buy something new for about 20 grand less. But my daughter wants what she wants so they purchased it. Electric bill runs them over $700 a month. If I opened a $700 dollar electric bill I would die of a heart attack on the spot.

Our home is just under 1700 Sq feet. Have a fairly new AC unit purchased 3 years ago Avg bill $260. Our bill for this month $206. Payment for solar $188. So savings not all that great in my opinion. 49 grand pretty intimidating.  I mean my last car cost me that but the financing for that was 3 years so big difference between that and 25 years. If I was wealthy then I would  seriously consider buying them outright then the savings would be worth it.

25 years to someone in there 20s or 30s is a lot different than to someone 65. I think that even if you paid cash it would take almost 16 years to pay off. 

I don't know what I was thinking when I went for this. It's just not the right time in life for us.

I want to thank everyone again for all the suggestions that's why these forums are great.
It only went down $54?  Or are you talking  about your average bill here?  Either way, that $90 a month in "savings" isn't likely worth it.  Our payment now for the panels if I don't pay extra on it is $350 a month.  Our average bill was close to $500 a month in spring...oddly enough with the heating in the heat pump during "winter" it was like $400.  It made sense for us to do it.  Doesn't sound like it makes much sense for you to do it.

It only went down $54?  Or are you talking  about your average bill here?  Either way, that $90 a month in "savings" isn't likely worth it.  Our payment now for the panels if I don't pay extra on it is $350 a month.  Our average bill was close to $500 a month in spring...oddly enough with the heating in the heat pump during "winter" it was like $400.  It made sense for us to do it.  Doesn't sound like it makes much sense for you to do it.
Avg. But your right just not enough savings. Usually I just say not interested to these guys. Hope I'm not losing my edge. Or worse yet turning old and getting easier for someone to get over on me.

Avg. But your right just not enough savings. Usually I just say not interested to these guys. Hope I'm not losing my edge. Or worse yet turning old and getting easier for someone to get over on me.
If that last part is a concern, it might be possible to have someone who monitors spending and that sort of thing to prevent scammers from targeting you.  Either a trusted relative or a fiduciary should do.  An elder law attorney should be able to help and provide some peace of mind.

I wouldn't feel too bad about it. I'm sure a lot of us in here have had buyers remorse at one time or another. I know I have.  Pretty much every large purchase I've made in my life makes me really question myself. 

Have they responded yet to you cancelling? 

Question for the group......is there any metrics out there that shows how much value these things add to home value?  Any real estate agents have any thoughts on that?

I wouldn't feel too bad about it. I'm sure a lot of us in here have had buyers remorse at one time or another. I know I have.  Pretty much every large purchase I've made in my life makes me really question myself. 

Have they responded yet to you cancelling? 
Yes I called AKE told them I wanted to cancel . They were very nice. Gentleman told me he would send me acancelation page along with finance company contact number. Of course when I received the e-mail there were no attachments. I did contact the finance company. I still had their number handy. Canceled loan with them with no problem. So there is no cash for the panels. Seems I may have worried myself into a tizzy over nothing. I'm still going to contact AKE but I think I can rest easy.

Question for the group......is there any metrics out there that shows how much value these things add to home value?  Any real estate agents have any thoughts on that?
We put ours in so we would have power after hurricanes and other emergencies.  I figure that's got to resonate with some people.  It does help that any added value can't be added to the house's taxable value (in the state of Texas).  

By the way, I got my electric bill today, so I did a comparison.  Last year's November bill- $146.  This year- $16.  Not that I would use this to finance solar panels.  

We put ours in so we would have power after hurricanes and other emergencies.  I figure that's got to resonate with some people.  It does help that any added value can't be added to the house's taxable value (in the state of Texas).  

By the way, I got my electric bill today, so I did a comparison.  Last year's November bill- $146.  This year- $16.  Not that I would use this to finance solar panels.  
Yeah, I think it's a nice "feature" kind of thing.  Was just wondering if anyone had a monetary translation for that.  Like 25% ROI?  50%?  90%?  In Florida when it comes to taxes, that's all determined by sale price.  At that point taxes are adjusted.  We do have times where they come through and do tax appraisals one off, but that hasn't happened since we've lived here (almost 5 years now).

A few years ago—I was looking to buy another investment property in Vegas. Saw a house that I really liked—and it had solar panels—but my realtor told me to stay away from buying it because apparently the person that was selling the house got into a terrible contract with the solar panel company that could bleed over to the new owner.  I’m guessing that may have been more of a lease type of situation—and not similar to what’s going on in this thread. Ended up purchasing a different property that I really liked that didn’t have any potential headaches to deal with in regards to the involvement of a solar panel company. 

A few years ago—I was looking to buy another investment property in Vegas. Saw a house that I really liked—and it had solar panels—but my realtor told me to stay away from buying it because apparently the person that was selling the house got into a terrible contract with the solar panel company that could bleed over to the new owner.  I’m guessing that may have been more of a lease type of situation—and not similar to what’s going on in this thread. Ended up purchasing a different property that I really liked that didn’t have any potential headaches to deal with in regards to the involvement of a solar panel company. 
I think the contract that I had signed stated that the new owners could take over the contract or decline  to. Which is another thing that worried me. Sale the home move and still be stuck with payments on something that I no longer have.

It’s like a pool in that it’s hard to quantify the increase and often it is a subjective number.  Honesty it’s nearly impossible to know what someone would have paid for the house without the item (pool/solar).  

I think the contract that I had signed stated that the new owners could take over the contract or decline  to. Which is another thing that worried me. Sale the home move and still be stuck with payments on something that I no longer have.
Damn, there’s the big money maker. If you have to sell, you are stuck. I wonder if they take the panels down and will put them on your new house (certainly at a cost) or if they just use them again. I can’t imagine if the new homeowner declines that they’d leave the panels there. Would be interesting to see what it says in the contract about moving and new homeowner declining. 

rustycolts said:
GET CONFIRMATION OF CANCELLATION BACK FROM THEM IN WRITING BEFORE THE 72 HOURS ARE UP.

Damn, there’s the big money maker. If you have to sell, you are stuck. I wonder if they take the panels down and will put them on your new house (certainly at a cost) or if they just use them again. I can’t imagine if the new homeowner declines that they’d leave the panels there. Would be interesting to see what it says in the contract about moving and new homeowner declining. 
In Cali (maybe elsewhere too I don’t know) the solar loan is tied to the house via a lien. The new owner can’t opt not to have them. The loan is either paid off by the seller or the payment is assumed my the new owner.  

It’s like a pool in that it’s hard to quantify the increase and often it is a subjective number.  Honesty it’s nearly impossible to know what someone would have paid for the house without the item (pool/solar).  
Yeah...I guess I was hoping there might be something out there.  I haven't seen anything concrete.  It does feel like an advertising/sales pitch sort of thing.  We've had a TON of these systems going up around us.

In Cali (maybe elsewhere too I don’t know) the solar loan is tied to the house via a lien. The new owner can’t opt not to have them. The loan is either paid off by the seller or the payment is assumed my the new owner.  
That's probably the way it is here. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. That certainly sounds right.

That sounds eerily similar to the situation that scared me away from purchasing the house in vegas that I was interested in a few years back. The person selling the house was an older lady that got suckered into getting solar panels on a bad contract.  Everything was easy and cheap/free for her up front—but much like an mortgage with an adjustable rate—the terms got worse and worse as the contract aged.  My broker and I were wondering why the property was on the market for longer than others being that it seemed that it was priced in line with comps—and the moment my realtor saw the terms of the solar contract—he motivated me to back away.   He said something to the effect that the contracts that solar companies use are designed by lawyers and experts to be really easy to get into—but are brutal to get out of.  Effectively—if I were to buy that home—I most likely would have had to pay off the solar contract to remove them as a third party element—and once that was factored in—the house wouldn’t have been a great value at the time.   

To somebody signing a long term solar contract now—I’d be weary unless you are sure you want to be in that house for a really long time.   If you try to sell a home ten years into a solar contract—it will turn off potential buyers—especially if you factor in the fact that 10 years from now—paying for 10 year old solar panels that will be antiquated and far less efficient than what will be available then is hugely detrimental. 

This quote was for just the panels no batteries. I also have a new roof 3 months old. One interesting thing he showed me was aerial photos of Mexico Beach after the hurricane parts of roofs missing shingles gone but solar panels still intact on a lot of the houses.
If you have a new roof and saving $70/month I think its a no-brainer. That being said, $49k for the whole system sounds like a lot. I was quoted $35k last year. We were about to move forward with the project until COVID hit. Although in hindsight I dont have a new roof so Im second guessing if we should do it now.

The sheer volume of salesman pushing these things lately is a big red flag for me. Not sure if it was a mistake, but the slimy sales pitches have me holding off personally. 
Oh yes. I am I interested in the concept but a bunch of 25 year old JAGs knocking on my door nightly ain’t gonna convince me. 

That sounds eerily similar to the situation that scared me away from purchasing the house in vegas that I was interested in a few years back. The person selling the house was an older lady that got suckered into getting solar panels on a bad contract.  Everything was easy and cheap/free for her up front—but much like an mortgage with an adjustable rate—the terms got worse and worse as the contract aged.  My broker and I were wondering why the property was on the market for longer than others being that it seemed that it was priced in line with comps—and the moment my realtor saw the terms of the solar contract—he motivated me to back away.   He said something to the effect that the contracts that solar companies use are designed by lawyers and experts to be really easy to get into—but are brutal to get out of.  Effectively—if I were to buy that home—I most likely would have had to pay off the solar contract to remove them as a third party element—and once that was factored in—the house wouldn’t have been a great value at the time.   

To somebody signing a long term solar contract now—I’d be weary unless you are sure you want to be in that house for a really long time.   If you try to sell a home ten years into a solar contract—it will turn off potential buyers—especially if you factor in the fact that 10 years from now—paying for 10 year old solar panels that will be antiquated and far less efficient than what will be available then is hugely detrimental. 
Sounds to me like she had a lease not a purchase. With the leases they stairstep every couple years and the costs increase.  With the purchases it’s like an new car purchase in that your price is locked in through the term of your contract. The lease honestly makes no sense to me as it’s not that much cheaper than the purchase option.  

From the ROI angle. It certainly makes the most sense if you’re planning on being in the home for a while. But where I live in the country, or Vegas where you’re talking about, there is a added value element to having them.  So that needs to be factored into the payoff question when selling the home too. If it cost you 20 grand to pay off the remainder of your loan but the solar panels are gaining you 15 in purchase price it’s not that big of a deal.  

@rustycolts I know this is a done deal for you already, but the part of the thing that doesn’t make sense to me is to 49K cost. I literally just got a 9 kWh 24 panel system that will cover electricity bill for my 3000 square-foot home with a pool and Jacuzzi. I paid 35K. In that 49 did you do the battery back up option? If so I could see that raising the cost at those tend to add 10 or 12 K. But 49K to cover your 1700 square-foot home just doesn’t make sense. 

@rustycolts I know this is a done deal for you already, but the part of the thing that doesn’t make sense to me is to 49K cost. I literally just got a 9 kWh 24 panel system that will cover electricity bill for my 3000 square-foot home with a pool and Jacuzzi. I paid 35K. In that 49 did you do the battery back up option? If so I could see that raising the cost at those tend to add 10 or 12 K. But 49K to cover your 1700 square-foot home just doesn’t make sense. 
No no batteries. I was able to finalize cancelation today thanks to a very nice young girl at Office Depot. I told her I was very tech impaired and really didn't know how to do what they wanted on this dogon smart phone. She did everything for me.. I think I got really lucky this time that I didn't screw myself. I guess the sun even shines on a dog's butt sometimes. 

My opinion on solar and home value. 

if the Solar cost $25k (and I would use pre tax credit number), I’d assume it adds $25k to the home value on Day 1. If depreciate it 20 years, so 20 years later worth $0. Linear depreciation in the middle. 

that’s objectively. Subjectively it may turn off buyers if you can’t see another solar install from your street (step into your street and look around, can you see another?). If you can see another that’s good in my opinion, and now you may add up to 2X value from a buyer who is motivated to buy a home w solar installed. 

I don't get thie, either.  We paid 49K for the panels and three power walls.  (We have a 1900 sq ft house.)  How was your offer so expensive?  I don't think panels are that much pricier in Florida.

Oh yes. I am I interested in the concept but a bunch of 25 year old JAGs knocking on my door nightly ain’t gonna convince me. 
:goodposting:  Surely your best large purchases come from folks going door to door. Salt of the earth folks imo. 

I don't get thie, either.  We paid 49K for the panels and three power walls.  (We have a 1900 sq ft house.)  How was your offer so expensive?  I don't think panels are that much pricier in Florida.
I'm thinking maybe the salesman sold me on there most expensive panels possibly. The only add on was some kind of special meter. He did ask if I wanted the  generator I said no because  it added about 10 grand to an already expensive price tag.

Here is their website. https://atlantickeyenergy.com/

I'm thinking maybe the salesman sold me on there most expensive panels possibly. The only add on was some kind of special meter. He did ask if I wanted the  generator I said no because  it added about 10 grand to an already expensive price tag.

Here is their website. https://atlantickeyenergy.com/
Dude, we bought Tesla.  How much more expensive could they be?  And the point of having solar is so you don't need a generator.

I think you are well out of it.

Dude, we bought Tesla.  How much more expensive could they be?  And the point of having solar is so you don't need a generator.

In fairness Tesla is by far the cheapest option on the market.  My Tesla quote was almost the same but it included a Tesla wall where the one I have didn’t.  I ended up not using them as their timeline for completion was way longer and I have a buddy who just used them and has had a nightmare customer service experience (which mirrors what I’ve heard elsewhere).  

These were Hyundai panels. According to their site they should cost between $15000 and $21000 so I am not sure what he was selling me. Maybe finance Co has something to do with it. They are called Goodleap a green financing company. Maybe just saw a fish and went for the biggest commission he could get.

My opinion on solar and home value. 

I’d assume it adds $25k to the home value on Day 1.
But it doesn't add anything at all.   

Most things people add to homes for personal reasons don't add any or very little value to a home.

I bought a home in May with a pool. It's easily a $100k pool.  Appraiser gave $20k value to it.

Not everyone has your personal tastes.

Mrs. Rannous said:

If you have batteries too.  The cost of those when we were buying didn't make any sense.  What we'd need for storage basically doubled our cost at the time and I'm not sure we'd have a place to put the battery cells.

If you have batteries too.  The cost of those when we were buying didn't make any sense.  What we'd need for storage basically doubled our cost at the time and I'm not sure we'd have a place to put the battery cells.
Agreed.  We didn’t go with the battery backup right now for 2 reason.  1- the price is high but as demand increases and new homes (in Cali all new home tracks must have solar and soon must have battery backups) come on line the price will drop significantly.  2 the whole home generator pricing is far cheaper at the moment.  

They aren't that large.  They are all linked inside of our garage.  They are about two feet deep and two-and-a-half feet wide.  They take up about the same space our lawn mower did.

Really the value they add to our house has more to do with hurricanes (and now freezes).  We won't lose power during those times.  I guess we bought the most expensive UPS that we could find.

Users who are viewing this thread