What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Southwest Airlines fiasco (1 Viewer)

i just read it’s the software that schedules the crews and that they can’t track their people to figure out who is working what flight
Neighbors have friends that work for Southwest. Flight crews were at the gates ready to fly but software couldn't find the crews to assign them to the flights so they couldn't fly.
Neighbor works for them and employees have been begging for IT upgrades for years but money was never allocated. Guess execs needed those bonuses instead.

I'll repeat myself from upthread - this was never a weather issue, a software issue or a logistics issue. It's always been a greed issue plain and simple. They have squeezed every single nickel out of this industry that can be squeezed to fund massive executive compensation at the expense of customers and labor. Its a horrible experience to fly or to work for an airline. I've just paid $1,200 to rent a nice big minivan to take my family and some friends on a Spring Break trip in April. I'm sure we could fly for the same or less after gas and other expenses, and it will add several hours to our travel time, but there's no way I'm risking these greedy ####s ruining our trip with some incompetent bull#### like we've experienced the past couple years.

i just read it’s the software that schedules the crews and that they can’t track their people to figure out who is working what flight
Neighbors have friends that work for Southwest. Flight crews were at the gates ready to fly but software couldn't find the crews to assign them to the flights so they couldn't fly.
Neighbor works for them and employees have been begging for IT upgrades for years but money was never allocated. Guess execs needed those bonuses instead.

I'll repeat myself from upthread - this was never a weather issue, a software issue or a logistics issue. It's always been a greed issue plain and simple. They have squeezed every single nickel out of this industry that can be squeezed to fund massive executive compensation at the expense of customers and labor. It's a horrible experience to fly or to work for an airline. I've just paid $1,200 to rent a nice big minivan to take my family and some friends on a Spring Break trip in April. I'm sure we could fly for the same or less after gas and other expenses, and it will add several hours to our travel time, but there's no way I'm risking these greedy ####s ruining our trip with some incompetent bull#### like we've experienced the past couple years.
Usually it takes about 3-4 days before guests start getting on each other's nerves. It might be after 3-4 hours on a road trip. I always say "I love seeing family. Love to see them arrive and love to see them leave."

I'll repeat myself from upthread - this was never a weather issue, a software issue or a logistics issue. It's always been a greed issue plain and simple. They have squeezed every single nickel out of this industry that can be squeezed to fund massive executive compensation at the expense of customers and labor. It's a horrible experience to fly or to work for an airline. I've just paid $1,200 to rent a nice big minivan to take my family and some friends on a Spring Break trip in April. I'm sure we could fly for the same or less after gas and other expenses, and it will add several hours to our travel time, but there's no way I'm risking these greedy ####s ruining our trip with some incompetent bull#### like we've experienced the past couple years.
Usually it takes about 3-4 days before guests start getting on each other's nerves. It might be after 3-4 hours on a road trip. I always say "I love seeing family. Love to see them arrive and love to see them leave."

Our family took a 12 day RV trip into S. Dakota and Colorado during the dark days of Covid and learned that our limit with each other in a vehicle is ... 12 days.

From WaPo:

"In a new filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Dallas-based carrier estimated pretax losses from the disruption of $725 million to $825 million for the quarter. Of that, it expects to lose $400 million to $425 million in revenue directly from the flight cancellations. "

The article goes on to mention how any politician with access to a mic is calling for hearings, and investigations.

From WaPo:

"In a new filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Dallas-based carrier estimated pretax losses from the disruption of $725 million to $825 million for the quarter. Of that, it expects to lose $400 million to $425 million in revenue directly from the flight cancellations. "

The article goes on to mention how any politician with access to a mic is calling for hearings, and investigations.

Kinda ridiculous. This is a 1 hour meeting - what were root causes? Are you going to fix them? What is the timeline for fixing them?

Flew SWA from Orange County to Sacramento today. Plane was like half-full. Not the SWA I'm used to that's for sure.

Easy for me to say since my wife is the one who ended up on a 7-hour train ride after her flight was canceled, but I'm impressed with how Southwest has responded to this situation

They fully refunded her airfare (of course) then paid the full price of her train ticket (not just the difference between that and the airfare) and gave the 25,000 free miles. To me, they've handled the aftermath of the debacle as well as they could

Still have a good chunk of SWA miles and growing with my Southwest Rewards credit card.

Hoping they right the ship before my next flight. Never had a problem with them, but I only fly like once a year.

Still have a good chunk of SWA miles and growing with my Southwest Rewards credit card.

Hoping they right the ship before my next flight. Never had a problem with them, but I only fly like once a year.
I've already flown them twice since the fiasco (OAK-Vegas and OAK-LGB) and haven't had a single issue :shrug:

I wonder if there will be some bargains to be had as they recover PR-wise

things change I realized, but damn, I sure wish we could roll back the clock on the way this company operated to the late 90's early '00's

with the exception of assigned seats, they ran one helluva an airline

* best frequent flyer program by 1,000%

* pretty cheap, certainly almost always best rates

* decent sized seats

* very reliable, giant focus with being on-time

* drink tickets up the wazoo baby!!! they gave them away for damn near anything and you got a 12 drink ticket booklet with every FF ticket you got too

once Herb left - things started to change ...slowly at first, but then they started getting a lot more like the other airlines with their FF program, higher rates, ****tier service, more attitude ...at least they let you check 2 bags for free still

once Herb left - things started to change ...slowly at first, but then they started getting a lot more like the other airlines with their FF program, higher rates, ****tier service, more attitude ...at least they let you check 2 bags for free still

I think this nails it on the head.

Flew them a few weeks ago to-from Sacramento (from Orange County) with no issues. The flight up was like 50% full though, which was odd to see for sure. This was right after the debacle so not all too shocking, I guess.

That said, I just prefer other airlines... especially since my company foots the bill. I prefer to pick my own seat and prefer to not HAVE to check-in 24 hours prior in order to get a good seat.

If/when I have to go back up to Sac, I will see how much Alaska or the like happen to be and plan accordingly.

I don't see why there would be. Recovery is already 100% complete. Everyone has forgotten. Stock has basically fully recovered to where it was before. All the routes I fly regularly are booked out for months and all that's left are a few seats at super high rates or they're just sold out.

Southwest Airlines planes were grounded nationwide for what the airline called an intermittent technology issue, causing more than 1,700 flight delays Tuesday just four months after the carrier suffered a meltdown over the Christmas travel rush.

Oh no, I fly southwest on Thursday.

Edit:

This issue is already fixed.

LA Times:

The Federal Aviation Administration paused Southwest departures at the airline’s request while the company worked to resolve the unspecified issues. By 8:10 a.m. Pacific time, the FAA said, service had resumed.

Southwest Airlines planes were grounded nationwide for what the airline called an intermittent technology issue, causing more than 1,700 flight delays Tuesday just four months after the carrier suffered a meltdown over the Christmas travel rush.
It’s weird that an airline so beloved by its customers for so long…..has operated so chaotically of late. Wonder what the true root cause is.

It’s weird that an airline so beloved by its customers for so long…..has operated so chaotically of late. Wonder what the true root cause is.
Outdated systems that should have been replaced more than a decade ago but weren't, in favor of more bonuses to the C-suite.

IIRC, SWA bet big on jet fuel futures about 10 years ago, locking in low prices. They were also better placed with their labor contracts as they weren't beholden to legacy carriers large pension issues with pilots and flight attendants. I wonder if both have reverted to industry means.

I can't remember his name (super frustrating) but the guy that ran it so successfully for so long was basically looked at as a visionary in the industry on how he built it, his business model, how he treated employees, etc. He was a great guy who looked at the airline industry differently (like the dinosaur it was/is) than the rest / status quo and it paid off for them.

I remember the going joke in stock market circles was that if you had to buy an airline, LUV was THE one. ValuJet made a short-lived run at that distinction in the mid 90-s but that was somewhat based off (copied) from Southwest, if I'm not mistaken. And I'll save the bad jokes regarding their demise.

Anyway, he retired, then passed away, and man, did that make a difference for SW. Often predecessors do fine after big name CEO's move on -- they've been groomed well and have a prepped army of capable minds to keep the train a rollin -- but damn, not Southwest. What happened? I mean, look at MSFT performance the last 10-15 years or since Gates "left". They've been incredible, while some that would be the end of their run.

Whoever got the keys to LUV when that CEO departed, royally F'd up. This spiral started long ago.

Last edited:

I can't remember his name (super frustrating) but the guy that ran it so successfully for so long was basically looked at as a visionary in the industry on how he built it, his business model, how he treated employees, etc. He was a great guy who looked at the airline industry differently (like the dinosaur it was/is) than the rest / status quo and it paid off for them.

I remember the going joke in stock market circles was that if you had to buy an airline, LUV was the only.

Anyway, he retired and passed away long ago I believe and man, did that make a difference. Often predecessors do fine after big name CEO's move on -- they've been groomed well and have a well prepped army of minds to keep the train a rollin -- but god, not Southwest. I mean, look at MSFT performance the last 10-15 years or since Gates "left"? They've done incredible.

Whoever got the keys to Southwest when that CEO departed, royally F'd up. This started long ago.
Herb Kelleher

Finally got my 25,000 miles from the fiasco. So far they haven't been devalued as I was able to book a one way flight from Vegas to San Diego for 5,000 miles. I may or may not need this flight but it's nice to know that it won't cost me a dime.

Is gearing up for holiday travel giving you unpleasant flashbacks to last year when Southwest canceled almost 17,000 flights, leaving more than 2 million people stuck (some at their in-laws’ house!)? You haven’t been forgotten—the Department of Transportation just slapped Southwest with its largest consumer protection fine ever over the meltdown. The fine is $140 million, with $35 million going to the government and the rest covering perks that went to passengers affected by the 2022 snafu or for travelers facing future delays and cancellations. And the DOT means business: The Southwest penalty is ~30x the next largest fine an airline has paid for such violations

I just flew SWA down to MIA and then back on Spirit. The Spirit experience was terrible, just bas across the board. Depsite the meltdown last year, I still prefer to fly SWA over any other domestic airline.

I just flew SWA down to MIA and then back on Spirit. The Spirit experience was terrible, just bas across the board. Depsite the meltdown last year, I still prefer to fly SWA over any other domestic airline.
From prior experience, I try to avoid Spirit at all costs.

I fly Spirit a lot if I'm flying to Florida from NJ - anything further there is no chance.

But for us - there is an airport that is only Spirit and is smaller - so while the flights are meh - the benefits of rolling in 1 hour before your flight and not dealing with larger crowds kind of offsets the rest

But for us - there is an airport that is only Spirit and is smaller - so while the flights are meh - the benefits of rolling in 1 hour before your flight and not dealing with larger crowds kind of offsets the rest

I have to move close to AC soon-ish, and really not thrilled with the lack of flights to anywhere. Didn't they used to fly to Puerto Rico out of AC?

I have to move close to AC soon-ish, and really not thrilled with the lack of flights to anywhere. Didn't they used to fly to Puerto Rico out of AC?
I think they still do. Only to San Juan and a Florida layover

If we go to Aguadilla we go from Newark

I fly spirit and southwest all the time but I get free bags being Active Duty and I don't book with them if the flight is over an hour and a half. Spirit also has a webpage where you can bid on the front 2 rows (bigger seats) and usually get them at half the cost if you were to outright select that seat.

Is gearing up for holiday travel giving you unpleasant flashbacks to last year when Southwest canceled almost 17,000 flights, leaving more than 2 million people stuck (some at their in-laws’ house!)? You haven’t been forgotten—the Department of Transportation just slapped Southwest with its largest consumer protection fine ever over the meltdown. The fine is $140 million, with $35 million going to the government and the rest covering perks that went to passengers affected by the 2022 snafu or for travelers facing future delays and cancellations. And the DOT means business: The Southwest penalty is ~30x the next largest fine an airline has paid for such violations
Deserved. The fiasco happened because they didn’t want to spend the money to upgrade their systems.

Users who are viewing this thread