What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SSL 4 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

I'll post comments on my teams later, but for now I'll confess that I forgot this was only an 18 round draft.

:scared: :whoosh:

Final Roster

QB: Flacco, Bradford, Fitzpatrick

RB: McCoy, Sankey, Hyde, Ballard

WR; Allen, Johnson, Watkins, Beckhum, Brown

TE: Olsen, Jenkins, Finley

PK; Tucker

D: SF, Balt

IF we could go 20 rounds and I could add another RB and WR, I would love this draft but as it is now, This team has 1 too many TE's and the QB run hurt as well as I went 3 do to this and the value I thought Fitzpatrick brought at the end of the draft. Week 10 will be the end as I drafted Vincent Brown with Allen and Andre on bye also. I guess I should have gone Sidney Rice maybe

Anyways breakdown of each pick

1.2 Lesean McCoy. This was an easy pick to make. If not him than it would have been Calvin instead.

2.15 Keenan Allen. I knew I wanted back to back WR at this point as could get RB's later. Most of the RB's taken around here scare me. I really wanted Jordy Nelson with this pick instead but will settle for the top guy in SD.

3.2 Andre Johnson. Just a steady vet who will get his numbers. I liked Vincent Jackson in this spot also which is sometimes why pick 2 sucks as Ryheaps points out at the top. Nelson/Jackson works slightly better than Allen/Johnson for me

4.15 Greg Olsen. Easy pick to make and one that I really like overall that he dropped to me. I would have taken him anywhere I picked in round 4

5.2 Bishop Sankey. NOt a huge fan of this pick but it was necessary I thought about Chris Johnson also but like the Tenn OL and the lesser competition better. If we only needed 1 RB, this pick would have gone WR instead. I do see not much difference between him and Ellington or Spiller who I could have taken at the 2/3 turn. I like him better than Moreno, Matthews. I would have liked Ray Rice but than I would have had to go Pierce early

6.15. I wanted Flacco all along but as my #2 QB. Was hoping for many of the others to drop but they did not. Not overally disappointed but not the way I planned things from the get go. Colston was dropping and I thought about him here if he had. I think great value for the guy who picked him

7.2 Sammy Watkins. I take another rookie and this could be my undoing overall in this league. I saw him above the rest as a target monster in Buffalo I hope. Would have much rathered got Colston at 6.15 and Flacco here but that plan got shot down. DeAndre Hopkins was the other thought and lucky now since I did not think about having Andre already

8.15. Glad I did not go QB in the 7th and went WR instead. Bradford made nice value IMO like Rivers a few years ago when he was written off. Gives me a okay QB combo. Not even near the best but it could get me by

9.2 SF D. Seattle had gone and I wanted instant impact points which is what this team could provide and started teams thinking about D which hopefully drops players you want later. Did not quite work like that but overall not disappointed with pick. Did anyone go that I could not live without till my next pick. Not really

10.15 Odell Beckhum. Another rookie will kill my team but they just seemed to provide best value. I was hoping for James Jones or Aaron Dobson based on other drafts but that would not happen. If Jones had gone from 9.2 to this pick, I would be second guessing myself right now and saying I rather Jones/SL over Beckhum/SF but luckily this wont leave me with sleepless nights ;)

11.2 Austin Sefrani-Jenkins. I was looking at him or Fleener. This is probably my worst pick and wish I could retry on and take Lamar Miller because of the Finley pick coming up. I thnk my team looks much better with the RB instead. Big mistake and with all the rookies, the one that does not make this a team that probably wins. But go big or go home. I could see him having nice impact

12.15 Justin Tucker. If I go 1 PK which is in the thought process, I am glad to get this guy. The other one I had put in was Greg the Leg with his early bye week. I got a consistent guy and love the pick. But I would have been happy with others also.

13.2 Carlos Hyde. NO. Another rookie but take the chance as to win, it is about the huge risk reward guy. Gore is old and if he gets to play he could put up some nice numbers. Of course, I might get squat but Hunter is the change of pace guy

14.15 Jermicheal Finley. I love the value here. I think he will play and will put up great numbers. Dont even mind going 3 TE as that is probably the 2nd most important position in this league with the extra points next to QB. But this was a stupid pick or the 11.2 was the real stupid pick for this team. Just a waste but I saw one guy who could be a huge difference maker at this point and said what the hell. This is free anyways and the fun is drafting

15.2 Baltimore D. I had 3 D's I like. TB, Baltimore and Detroit in a row. I ended up with Baltimore. D can score nice points in any week and I decided if I had to go 1 D or 1 PK, it was going to be PK in the end. They avg 182 to PK at 136 per franchise last year. Top team was 262 to 177 and with the Harbaugh boys in tow, I feel I got one of the best duos in our draft

16.15. Vincent Brown. YOu see how much time I really put into these. It is just for fun as why take a 2nd SD WR when you only have 5. I like the value even if Marlon was the Brown I was hoping to get coming into this but it shows lack of preparation on my part. But overall this was the wrong pick and I should have gone Sidney Rice, Lance Moore or Miles Austin who where all pegged to go.

17.2 Vick Ballard. I hope he takes the Donald Brown role of a year ago. What else will you get at this point and you got to roll with the punches. I still rather have Lamar Millar and come back with I am not sure here

18.15. Ryan Fitzpatrick. Just too much value especially with my QB's just being okay. The 70 pts the guys around him will get max was just not enough for me to worry for a guy who could get my 30 pts a week a few times to help me along. He beat 27, 5 times last year. I looked at Kendal Hunter as my last pick but he broke 10 once last year. But I guess most think better to get 10 in a week than take a 0 which I will do in week 10 at WR but hopefully this extra QB will give me the immunity the week before. Ted Ginn picked 2 before had 5 games over 10 points last year.
I think you will be surprised how little Fitzpatrick adds to your scores this year assuming Flacco/Bradford stay healthy. A decent 6th WR gives you more incremental gain IMO. Outside of WR I don't see any weakness in your team.

QB - Rivers 10, Bortles 11

RB - Sproles 7, Pierce 11, Stewart 12, Anderson 4, Davis 6

WR - Marshall 9, Harvin 4, Crabtree 8, Tate 9, Cooks 6, Rice 4

TE - Thomas 4, Lewis 11

D - KC 6, GB 9

PK - Bailey 11

Interested in hearing some thoughts on this mess.
For the life of me I can't figure out how, with a very similar drafting strategy, the same starting QB and TE taken in the same rounds, and two of the same top-4 WRs on our rosters, I wound up with an RB combo of Rice / Sankey / Robinson / D. Brown / Michael and you wound up with Sproles / Pierce / J-Stew / Anderson / Davis. If it weren't for that, I'd say this squad was in pretty good shape ... but that's a pretty big "if".

TE - Thomas 4, Lewis 11

D - KC 6, GB 9

PK - Bailey 11

For the life of me I can't figure out how, with a very similar drafting strategy, the same starting QB and TE taken in the same rounds, and two of the same top-4 WRs on our rosters, I wound up with an RB combo of Rice / Sankey / Robinson / D. Brown / Michael and you wound up with Sproles / Pierce / J-Stew / Anderson / Davis. If it weren't for that, I'd say this squad was in pretty good shape ... but that's a pretty big "if".
When I was reviewing your draft, I noticed that. Was going to comment on your draft earlier but didn't want to tip my finishing hand here. QBs and RBs went a little bit quicker in this draft and I kept just missing out while you were scooping them up.

So here are my thoughts on my team in progress. Received the #1 pick, which is great....for one pick...then I hate it. Never been a big fan of picking at the turn, particularly in larger leagues. Find that I overthink and either reach on players or get killed by runs. Got a little of both here I think. Being a newbie, I was tracking the other SSD drafts and looking for trends and got killed by this last league going completely on a different track from the other leagues. Oh well...what can you do but hope for the best at this point and some luck (which I will definitely need!).

1.1 J Charles - Fairly easy pick in my mind in a PPR league. Some consideration of Graham with the TE bonus or McCoy, but felt good about Jamal.

2.16 V Davis - Wanted to ensure a solid #1 option TE which I believe Davis is (despite more mouths to feed in SF). In retrospect, might have gone Cameron, but generally pleased with the pick.

3.1 R Bush - Wanted another solid pass catching RB and Bush should fit the bill. Would have likely gone QB/WR here in retrospect after seeing how the draft has gone. Know that Bell will steal some production but Bush can have some big weeks in best ball

4.16 - TY Hilton - Decent young WR who did well last year even with all the focus on him after Wayne went down. Even with Wayne and Nicks in the mix, think he will have a number of big games this year.

5.1 - Michael Floyd - Continuously improving player who might be ready for the step up to WR1 this year...with some luck. First big mistake here...calculated risk that a decent QB would wrap around to me at 6.16. Based on other 3 leagues, 14-17 QBs went in first 6 rounds. We had 19 go which left me in the lurch for QBs

6.16 - Pierre Thomas - Slight reach here but knew that he would not make it back around to me in the 8th. Could have great PPR production in NO with Sproles and Moore out of the mix.

7.1 - Carson Palmer - Ugh...my QB1...sad...here is hoping for many Palmer to Floyd connections!

8.16 - Alex Smith - Another unsexy QB pick, but hopefully he'll have one of those amazing contract years looking for a big payday.

9.1 - Woodhead - Planned to go WR here and probably should have, but Woodhead offers up plenty of PPR opportunity with the "ever durable" Matthews as primary competition. Donald Brown could steal some time which makes me nervous, but not bad for a 9th round RB

10.16 - Fleener - Not a bad TE2 option...3rd year breakout? Not holding my breath but hopeful

11.1 - Rams - Should be a solid #1 D with a great pass rush. Little bit of reach, but feared a D run in rounds 11 and 12 with 6 Ds off the board already (vs 1-2 in the other SSLs)

12.16 - Marqise Lee - Need to fill the gap at WR desperately. Not a huge fan but has a lot of potential and a complimentary bye week to the rest of my team

13.1 - Harry Douglas - Proved he can be solid last year and word is they will use more 3WR with Gonzo gone. Was a PPR demon at times last year.

14.16 - B LaFell - The hopes and prayers continue at WR with this former highly touted WR. Perhaps he can hit it off with Brady and fulfull the potential that has yet to be fulfilled with Newton.

15.1 - B Walsh - Once again..SSL4 proves to be the anomoly with 15 kickers off the board in the first 14 rounds (vs 5, 9 and 11 in the other leagues). Walsh should have the job assured in Min, but not loving the outdoor conditions. Really wanted Tucker at the prior turn, but Crippler snagged him first one pick before me.

16.16 - ?

17.1 - ?

18.16 - ?

Team so far through 15 of 18 rounds:

QB- Palmer (4), A Smith (6) - Not exciting but hopefully solid, steady production between the two of them.

RB- Charles (6), Bush (9), Thomas (6), Woodhead (10) - Great PPR group. Need big weeks from my WR to make up for the rest of my across the board mediocrity. Week 6 could be an issue with byes.

WR- Floyd (4), Hilton (10), Douglas (9), LaFell (10), Lee (11) - Not sexy at all, but some solid production likely with some upside. Really not happy with this crew though.

TE- V Davis (8), Fleener (10) - Should be a decent duo

K- Walsh (10) - Solid leg and hopefully better offense. Bad weather might not be an issue as I'll probably be out prior to the Minneapolis snows coming

D- Rams (4) - Solid D

Overall had fun and good learning experience for this type of draft, but will likely be continuing my learning experience in SSL4 next year...maybe 3 if I'm lucky. Hopefully, just being too hard on myself :)
Final Roster

QB- Palmer (4), A Smith (6) - Not exciting but hopefully solid, steady production between the two of them.

RB- Charles (6), Bush (9), Thomas (6), Woodhead (10), A Brown (10) - Great PPR group. Need big weeks from my RB to make up for the rest of my across the board mediocrity.

WR- Floyd (4), Hilton (10), Douglas (9), LaFell (10), Lee (11), L Moore (12) - Not sexy at all, but some solid production likely with some upside. Really not happy with this crew though.

K- Walsh (10) - Solid leg and hopefully better offense. Bad weather might not be an issue as I'll probably be out prior to the Minneapolis snows coming

D- Rams (4), Redskins (10) - Solid D with backup with complementary schedule

Commentary on last few picks:

16.16 - Lance Moore - Not a bad PPR option this late. As Cotchery showed last year, definite value to be had with Pitt's #3 WR. Of course health is a concern.

17.1 - Andre Brown - Did very well last year after returning from IR and Foster will have to share the load. Was going to go K, but figured I'd take my chances on RB to help with the minor week 6 bye issue that I have

18.16 - Redskins D - Not a great D, but complementary schedule to the Rams and DJax should help with return game

Overall:

Not expecting much from this team, but might be able to stick around for a few weeks with a steady core of decent perfomers. Doubt there will be enough firepower to last very long though unless something surprising happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
ryheaps said:
So here are my thoughts on my team in progress. Received the #1 pick, which is great....for one pick...then I hate it. Never been a big fan of picking at the turn, particularly in larger leagues. Find that I overthink and either reach on players or get killed by runs. Got a little of both here I think. Being a newbie, I was tracking the other SSD drafts and looking for trends and got killed by this last league going completely on a different track from the other leagues. Oh well...what can you do but hope for the best at this point and some luck (which I will definitely need!).

1.1 J Charles - Fairly easy pick in my mind in a PPR league. Some consideration of Graham with the TE bonus or McCoy, but felt good about Jamal.

2.16 V Davis - Wanted to ensure a solid #1 option TE which I believe Davis is (despite more mouths to feed in SF). In retrospect, might have gone Cameron, but generally pleased with the pick.

3.1 R Bush - Wanted another solid pass catching RB and Bush should fit the bill. Would have likely gone QB/WR here in retrospect after seeing how the draft has gone. Know that Bell will steal some production but Bush can have some big weeks in best ball

4.16 - TY Hilton - Decent young WR who did well last year even with all the focus on him after Wayne went down. Even with Wayne and Nicks in the mix, think he will have a number of big games this year.

5.1 - Michael Floyd - Continuously improving player who might be ready for the step up to WR1 this year...with some luck. First big mistake here...calculated risk that a decent QB would wrap around to me at 6.16. Based on other 3 leagues, 14-17 QBs went in first 6 rounds. We had 19 go which left me in the lurch for QBs

6.16 - Pierre Thomas - Slight reach here but knew that he would not make it back around to me in the 8th. Could have great PPR production in NO with Sproles and Moore out of the mix.

7.1 - Carson Palmer - Ugh...my QB1...sad...here is hoping for many Palmer to Floyd connections!

8.16 - Alex Smith - Another unsexy QB pick, but hopefully he'll have one of those amazing contract years looking for a big payday.

9.1 - Woodhead - Planned to go WR here and probably should have, but Woodhead offers up plenty of PPR opportunity with the "ever durable" Matthews as primary competition. Donald Brown could steal some time which makes me nervous, but not bad for a 9th round RB

10.16 - Fleener - Not a bad TE2 option...3rd year breakout? Not holding my breath but hopeful

11.1 - Rams - Should be a solid #1 D with a great pass rush. Little bit of reach, but feared a D run in rounds 11 and 12 with 6 Ds off the board already (vs 1-2 in the other SSLs)

12.16 - Marqise Lee - Need to fill the gap at WR desperately. Not a huge fan but has a lot of potential and a complimentary bye week to the rest of my team

13.1 - Harry Douglas - Proved he can be solid last year and word is they will use more 3WR with Gonzo gone. Was a PPR demon at times last year.

14.16 - B LaFell - The hopes and prayers continue at WR with this former highly touted WR. Perhaps he can hit it off with Brady and fulfull the potential that has yet to be fulfilled with Newton.

15.1 - B Walsh - Once again..SSL4 proves to be the anomoly with 15 kickers off the board in the first 14 rounds (vs 5, 9 and 11 in the other leagues). Walsh should have the job assured in Min, but not loving the outdoor conditions. Really wanted Tucker at the prior turn, but Crippler snagged him first one pick before me.

16.16 - ?

17.1 - ?

18.16 - ?

Team so far through 15 of 18 rounds:

RB- Charles (6), Bush (9), Thomas (6), Woodhead (10) - Great PPR group. Need big weeks from my WR to make up for the rest of my across the board mediocrity. Week 6 could be an issue with byes.

WR- Floyd (4), Hilton (10), Douglas (9), LaFell (10), Lee (11) - Not sexy at all, but some solid production likely with some upside. Really not happy with this crew though.

D- Rams (4) - Solid D

Overall had fun and good learning experience for this type of draft, but will likely be continuing my learning experience in SSL4 next year...maybe 3 if I'm lucky. Hopefully, just being too hard on myself :)
Final Roster

RB- Charles (6), Bush (9), Thomas (6), Woodhead (10), A Brown (10) - Great PPR group. Need big weeks from my RB to make up for the rest of my across the board mediocrity.

WR- Floyd (4), Hilton (10), Douglas (9), LaFell (10), Lee (11), L Moore (12) - Not sexy at all, but some solid production likely with some upside. Really not happy with this crew though.

D- Rams (4), Redskins (10) - Solid D with backup with complementary schedule

Commentary on last few picks:

16.16 - Lance Moore - Not a bad PPR option this late. As Cotchery showed last year, definite value to be had with Pitt's #3 WR. Of course health is a concern.

17.1 - Andre Brown - Did very well last year after returning from IR and Foster will have to share the load. Was going to go K, but figured I'd take my chances on RB to help with the minor week 6 bye issue that I have

18.16 - Redskins D - Not a great D, but complementary schedule to the Rams and DJax should help with return game

Overall:

Not expecting much from this team, but might be able to stick around for a few weeks with a steady core of decent perfomers. Doubt there will be enough firepower to last very long though unless something surprising happens.
I really like your team outside of the WRs. Brown was a nice pick, but you need a WR more. Charles is a lock to post a score 14 of 17 weeks. Bush/Thomas will cover almost every remaining week. If you throw in either Brown or Woodhead into the mix, I don't see the remaining RB adding much incremental value.

I now know why I didn't have any good RBs to chose from….you drafted them all.

BassNBrew said:
Final Roster

QB: Flacco, Bradford, Fitzpatrick

RB: McCoy, Sankey, Hyde, Ballard

WR; Allen, Johnson, Watkins, Beckhum, Brown

TE: Olsen, Jenkins, Finley

PK; Tucker

D: SF, Balt

IF we could go 20 rounds and I could add another RB and WR, I would love this draft but as it is now, This team has 1 too many TE's and the QB run hurt as well as I went 3 do to this and the value I thought Fitzpatrick brought at the end of the draft. Week 10 will be the end as I drafted Vincent Brown with Allen and Andre on bye also. I guess I should have gone Sidney Rice maybe

Anyways breakdown of each pick

1.2 Lesean McCoy. This was an easy pick to make. If not him than it would have been Calvin instead.

2.15 Keenan Allen. I knew I wanted back to back WR at this point as could get RB's later. Most of the RB's taken around here scare me. I really wanted Jordy Nelson with this pick instead but will settle for the top guy in SD.

3.2 Andre Johnson. Just a steady vet who will get his numbers. I liked Vincent Jackson in this spot also which is sometimes why pick 2 sucks as Ryheaps points out at the top. Nelson/Jackson works slightly better than Allen/Johnson for me

4.15 Greg Olsen. Easy pick to make and one that I really like overall that he dropped to me. I would have taken him anywhere I picked in round 4

5.2 Bishop Sankey. NOt a huge fan of this pick but it was necessary I thought about Chris Johnson also but like the Tenn OL and the lesser competition better. If we only needed 1 RB, this pick would have gone WR instead. I do see not much difference between him and Ellington or Spiller who I could have taken at the 2/3 turn. I like him better than Moreno, Matthews. I would have liked Ray Rice but than I would have had to go Pierce early

6.15. I wanted Flacco all along but as my #2 QB. Was hoping for many of the others to drop but they did not. Not overally disappointed but not the way I planned things from the get go. Colston was dropping and I thought about him here if he had. I think great value for the guy who picked him

7.2 Sammy Watkins. I take another rookie and this could be my undoing overall in this league. I saw him above the rest as a target monster in Buffalo I hope. Would have much rathered got Colston at 6.15 and Flacco here but that plan got shot down. DeAndre Hopkins was the other thought and lucky now since I did not think about having Andre already

8.15. Glad I did not go QB in the 7th and went WR instead. Bradford made nice value IMO like Rivers a few years ago when he was written off. Gives me a okay QB combo. Not even near the best but it could get me by

9.2 SF D. Seattle had gone and I wanted instant impact points which is what this team could provide and started teams thinking about D which hopefully drops players you want later. Did not quite work like that but overall not disappointed with pick. Did anyone go that I could not live without till my next pick. Not really

10.15 Odell Beckhum. Another rookie will kill my team but they just seemed to provide best value. I was hoping for James Jones or Aaron Dobson based on other drafts but that would not happen. If Jones had gone from 9.2 to this pick, I would be second guessing myself right now and saying I rather Jones/SL over Beckhum/SF but luckily this wont leave me with sleepless nights ;)

11.2 Austin Sefrani-Jenkins. I was looking at him or Fleener. This is probably my worst pick and wish I could retry on and take Lamar Miller because of the Finley pick coming up. I thnk my team looks much better with the RB instead. Big mistake and with all the rookies, the one that does not make this a team that probably wins. But go big or go home. I could see him having nice impact

12.15 Justin Tucker. If I go 1 PK which is in the thought process, I am glad to get this guy. The other one I had put in was Greg the Leg with his early bye week. I got a consistent guy and love the pick. But I would have been happy with others also.

13.2 Carlos Hyde. NO. Another rookie but take the chance as to win, it is about the huge risk reward guy. Gore is old and if he gets to play he could put up some nice numbers. Of course, I might get squat but Hunter is the change of pace guy

14.15 Jermicheal Finley. I love the value here. I think he will play and will put up great numbers. Dont even mind going 3 TE as that is probably the 2nd most important position in this league with the extra points next to QB. But this was a stupid pick or the 11.2 was the real stupid pick for this team. Just a waste but I saw one guy who could be a huge difference maker at this point and said what the hell. This is free anyways and the fun is drafting

15.2 Baltimore D. I had 3 D's I like. TB, Baltimore and Detroit in a row. I ended up with Baltimore. D can score nice points in any week and I decided if I had to go 1 D or 1 PK, it was going to be PK in the end. They avg 182 to PK at 136 per franchise last year. Top team was 262 to 177 and with the Harbaugh boys in tow, I feel I got one of the best duos in our draft

16.15. Vincent Brown. YOu see how much time I really put into these. It is just for fun as why take a 2nd SD WR when you only have 5. I like the value even if Marlon was the Brown I was hoping to get coming into this but it shows lack of preparation on my part. But overall this was the wrong pick and I should have gone Sidney Rice, Lance Moore or Miles Austin who where all pegged to go.

17.2 Vick Ballard. I hope he takes the Donald Brown role of a year ago. What else will you get at this point and you got to roll with the punches. I still rather have Lamar Millar and come back with I am not sure here

18.15. Ryan Fitzpatrick. Just too much value especially with my QB's just being okay. The 70 pts the guys around him will get max was just not enough for me to worry for a guy who could get my 30 pts a week a few times to help me along. He beat 27, 5 times last year. I looked at Kendal Hunter as my last pick but he broke 10 once last year. But I guess most think better to get 10 in a week than take a 0 which I will do in week 10 at WR but hopefully this extra QB will give me the immunity the week before. Ted Ginn picked 2 before had 5 games over 10 points last year.
I think you will be surprised how little Fitzpatrick adds to your scores this year assuming Flacco/Bradford stay healthy. A decent 6th WR gives you more incremental gain IMO. Outside of WR I don't see any weakness in your team.
Issue was I did not see any decent WR's left. Fitzpatrick IMO should never have been here and should have been drafted over Bridgewater and Bortles for fun. I like him over Geno/Vick, Henne, Smith, Hoyer/Manziel, Manue, Schuabb and Locker also. Just seemed like great value but not a wise selection but after last year where I was left with 1 QB most of the year, having 3 this year should not lead to the same issue. But than I also lost Crabtree last year and that left me weak at WR I like my top 3 WR for sure but after that is gets ugly fast. Any injury ala a year ago and I will be in big trouble again. Before the season began last year I was down to 1 QB, 3 RB, 4 WR, 1 TE. NO wonder I went out quickly.

TE - Thomas 4, Lewis 11

D - KC 6, GB 9

PK - Bailey 11

QB - After Rivers I kept getting caught on the wrong side of the runs. Jeaton taking 3 starters sent others scrambling. Lots of guys spent some ammo on QBs. Fitz wouldn't do me any good sharing a week 10 bye so I went Bortles. Surely with that type of investment he sees the field by week 10. Grade D
Jeaton's 3rd QB didn't really have any affect, except taking another starter from someone. Only Bridgewater was taken in the next 3+ rounds. It may have started in the 6th round with tex1 taking Colin and then went full bore with raylove doubling up both his teams. Romo was the only QB rostered on the 5 teams after me...I thought QBs would continue to fly off the board so I double dipped early with Big Ben.

I kept waiting for you and jeaton2 to draft your QB2 and it just never came. I thought about only going with Peyton but decided to help me (and hurt you and jeaton) drafting Henne, knowing that Fitzpatrick shared a bye with Rivers and Luck. IMO, Cooks was a horrible pick and an unnecessary gamble. With 4 high picks spent on WR, no need for Cooks and we don't even know how he'll be used. You needed to jump on a QB2 in the 8th -- Bradford of Smith...or even Schaub in the 9th.

BTW...any thought of going Carr over Bortles?
took a quick glance here and I kind of have to agree with Shadowfax here.......it kind of amuses me to see people act surprised about QB2 and "nothing left...or no value....or I got caught by the run ".....IMO it is pretty much guaranteed that if you pass on a stud QB in the early rounds and decide to go QBBC in some way shape or form....you pretty much have to get your second decent QB by round 7....or earlier.....or else you could get left on the outside looking in....not sure why it is a real surprise to anyone and especially to those who have done these before....this is another advantage of taking a stud QB early....you don't have to use 2 of your first 7 picks to try and get the production that a guy who took a stud gets in one early one....and meantime, what ground you gained at another position early in the draft, the "stud QB guy" is closing the gap by sweeping up value and depth at those positions while all the QBBC guys fight over the scaps at QB2.....lot of guys won't feel great about their QB1 so they snag that QB2 and or QB3 pretty quickly.....this ain't no surprise

Ok, I'll post tex1 first. I really didn't have that much of a strategy to start out. Since I have 2 teams and having the luxury of drafting both teams back to back, it was kind of different. I started out both teams using mostly ADP and looking at the other SSL drafts. After a few rounds I was just trying to avoid bye week conflicts and trying to draft a balanced team and get BPA.

tex1

QB

Tom Brady/10

Colin Kaepernick/8

RB

Marshawn Lynch/4

Leveon Bell/12

Donald Brown/10

Fred Jackson/9

WR

Miles Austin/4

Doug Baldwin/4

Julian Edelman/10

Mike Evans/7

Andre Holmes/5

Greg Jennings/10

TE

Jermaine Gresham/4

Jason Witten/11

PK

Steven Hauschka/4

Caleb Sturgis/5

D/ST

Chicago Bears/9

Cincinnati Bengals/4

While I avoided any serious bye week conflicts, I did possibly short myself at RB. I am hoping Jackson and Brown will be serviceable on Lynch/Bell byes or injury issues. Even though I eended up with no real #1 WR I fell like I got some guys who will provide decent point production. And at QB, TE, PK, and D/ST I fell like I got at least a top 5 at every one of them.

tex2

QB

Drew Brees/6

Matt Schaub/5

RB

Ka'Deeem Carey/9

Isaiah Crowell/4

Devonta Freeman/9

Ryan Matthews/10

Knowshon Moreno/5

WR

Davonta Adams/9

Anquan Boldin/8

Marlon Brown/11

Eric Decker/11

Alshon Jeffery/9

TE

Martellus Bennett/9

Garrett Graham/10

PK

Stephen Gostkowski/10

Alex Henery/7

D/ST

Seattle Seahawks/4

Pittsburgh Steelers/12

I think I may actually like this team slightly better than team 1.

TE - Thomas 4, Lewis 11

D - KC 6, GB 9

PK - Bailey 11

QB - After Rivers I kept getting caught on the wrong side of the runs. Jeaton taking 3 starters sent others scrambling. Lots of guys spent some ammo on QBs. Fitz wouldn't do me any good sharing a week 10 bye so I went Bortles. Surely with that type of investment he sees the field by week 10. Grade D
Jeaton's 3rd QB didn't really have any affect, except taking another starter from someone. Only Bridgewater was taken in the next 3+ rounds. It may have started in the 6th round with tex1 taking Colin and then went full bore with raylove doubling up both his teams. Romo was the only QB rostered on the 5 teams after me...I thought QBs would continue to fly off the board so I double dipped early with Big Ben.

I kept waiting for you and jeaton2 to draft your QB2 and it just never came. I thought about only going with Peyton but decided to help me (and hurt you and jeaton) drafting Henne, knowing that Fitzpatrick shared a bye with Rivers and Luck. IMO, Cooks was a horrible pick and an unnecessary gamble. With 4 high picks spent on WR, no need for Cooks and we don't even know how he'll be used. You needed to jump on a QB2 in the 8th -- Bradford of Smith...or even Schaub in the 9th.

took a quick glance here and I kind of have to agree with Shadowfax here.......it kind of amuses me to see people act surprised about QB2 and "nothing left...or no value....or I got caught by the run ".....IMO it is pretty much guaranteed that if you pass on a stud QB in the early rounds and decide to go QBBC in some way shape or form....you pretty much have to get your second decent QB by round 7....or earlier.....or else you could get left on the outside looking in....not sure why it is a real surprise to anyone and especially to those who have done these before....this is another advantage of taking a stud QB early....you don't have to use 2 of your first 7 picks to try and get the production that a guy who took a stud gets in one early one....and meantime, what ground you gained at another position early in the draft, the "stud QB guy" is closing the gap by sweeping up value and depth at those positions while all the QBBC guys fight over the scaps at QB2.....lot of guys won't feel great about their QB1 so they snag that QB2 and or QB3 pretty quickly.....this ain't no surprise
1. When you have numerous drafts that have set adp and your draft varies substantially from that you can get caught.

2. See the post above where one guy drafted three by mistake.

3. Rivers is closer to a stud than a qbbc guy.

Stinkin Ref said:

TE - Thomas 4, Lewis 11

D - KC 6, GB 9

PK - Bailey 11

Exactly...

Like all of these I went in thinking Peyton early or 2 QB's by round 7..... With an early pick of Peterson I wound up with :

Dalton (6)

Eli Manning (7)

I like both routes - 2 QB's offers you better protection and possibility of keeping up with a top QB score...

Turns out I could have waited and got Manuel a round later - but, that's the Gamble of playing the QBBC game.....

Went RB heavy early do to IMO RB value falling to me.... I really didn't go by ADP too much since I'm doing a few different style drafts

PSA - Big fan of the FFPC $77 Drafts - I'm pretty much always drafting and I've built up a little war chest doing these all offseason- love NOT managing leagues but, drafting all the time... I'll probably be in Monday nights Live draft - Come get some!!!

Peterson (1)

Ellington (3.04)

Tate (5.04)

Hillman (18.03)

Really wanted to start with Jimmy Graham - seems like no matter what pick I get he goes right before me... But, Peterson is a good consolation... Fan of Ellington and I was getting him cheaper early on but, still value in the 3rd IMO for an offense I think is getting even better... Ditto with Tate - I'm very high on CLE and know Pettine is going to want to Ground and Pound...

Took a flyer on Hillman in a great offense. I've owned Hillman a lot since he's been in the league based on percieved talent - I might go down with that ship

R Cobb (2.13)

H Nicks (9.04)

S Smith (10.13)

R Woods (11.04)

C Latimer (13.04)

A Hawkins (17.04)

Unlike most of my FFPC drafts recently I wound up waiting on WR and tried to make up for it in numbers - wasn't my plan but it's how my tiers jived with the flow of the draft....

Cobb should lock down WR1 Stud... I think S Smith and R Woods will produce something to hold down WR2 and WR3... Nicks is a wild card - Crowded field in IND and he needs to stay on the field - lots of potential given Talent/ Offense...

Love flyers on Latimer and Hawkins... CLE paid up for Hawkins, early word from camp sounds good. I expect him to rise a bunch in these later on... Latimer is in that DEN pinball machine, 1 guy gets hurt or he gets a role at all, another good Best Ball Play IMO.

Dennis Pitta (4.13)

Heath Miller (8.13)

Looking back, I might have pressed a little at TE... I look at where TE's were drafted - Seems to me like Dwayne Allen is real cheap right now... Would have liked Allen in round 10 for sure even over Pitta round 4.. Pretty sure I'd take Allen/Miller and maybe a better WR in round 4 like M Floyd, Wallace or TY Hilton over Pitta/Miller with Steve Smith...

BUT - I do like the talent I have at TE and really feel I'm not that weak at any position.

Overall.. I'm happy with this team.. There's usually a tweak or so that would make things different....For me that comes at TE which is always a tough decision in these where to pull the trigger - again unlike QB where you absolutley know it's slim pickings after 7/8...

I'll post comments on my teams later, but for now I'll confess that I forgot this was only an 18 round draft.

Haha, I did the same damn thing.

I had a new Dynasty draft (my 1st) going on and got seriously sidetracked....

FF_WMD said:

Haha, I did the same damn thing.I had a new Dynasty draft (my 1st) going on and got seriously sidetracked....
Yep I'm doing 2 startups and a startup rookie draft right now so it's been difficult to keep up!

Next FFPC Slow draft is filling up.... Live draft Monday Night....

Much more fun for $$$$$ ; )

Users who are viewing this thread