What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SSL3 Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

QB Nick Foles - 7

Teddy Bridgewater -10

RB Marshawn Lynch - 4

Darren Sproles - 7

MJD - 5

Ka'Deem Carey - 9

WR Julio Jones - 9

Cordarrelle Patterson - 10

Tavon Austin - 4

Jericho Cotchery - 12

Allen Robinson - 11

Andre Holmes - 5

TE Charles Clay - 5

Jared Cook - 4

DST Arizona - 4

San Diego - 10

K Shayne Graham - 6

Graham Gano - 12

Final Rooster:

QB:

Matty Ice -(9) 3rd rd

Geno Smith (11) - 14th rd

Mike Vick (11) - 17th rd

Definitely looking for a resurgence from Matt Ryan this year with Julio back, although no Gonzo. Waiting so long to take my qb2 meant I had to double up, which sucks. With my luck the rookie will be starting week 9.

RB:

Eddie Lacy (9) 1st rd

Doug Martin (7) 2nd rd

Carlos Hyde (8) 9th rd

Andre Williams (8) 16th rd

Went RB early, hzppy with my top 2 guys, and hope to get something from the two rooks.

WR:

Vincent Jackson (7) 3d rd

Cecil Shorts (11) 7th rd

Greg Jennings (10) 8th rd

Marquise Lee (11) 10th rd

Robert Woods (9) 11th rd

Happy with my WRs for a 16 teamer. Hit em hard and heavy in the mid rounds, and I have 3-4 WR1s from their respective teams (woods depends on how watkims steps in). I like my potential production here.

TE:

Kyle Rudolph (10) 5th rd

Zach Ertz (7) 6th rd

I see both as breakout players this year. You saw what Norv Turner did for Cameron last year...I expect similar results from Rudolph. Ertz came on towards the end of last season, and I think he can take a major atep in year 2.

PK:

Adam Viniatieri (10) 15th rd

Dan Carpenter (9) 18th rd

Gotta love dome kickers, and I see Buffalo's offense on the rise.

DEF:

Denver (4) 12th rd

Buffalo (9) 13th rd

I like Denver's additions this offseason...get a big lead and let those pass rushers fly! Buffalo is usually good for some low scoring games at home late in the year.

All in all, just wish I had not waited so long on my QB2, and worried after my top 2 RBs. But I like my chances to hang around later than last year's week 3 exit at least.
only 5 WRs (4 if Lee doesn't produce year 1) is going to hurt. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think a 5 WR team has ever won one of these especially one without a 1st or second round talent type of player. As of right now it doesn't look like either of your rookie RBs are going to get much playing time this season so you have to hope both of your top guys hit again this year and stay healthy.

I like the tight ends. Nice combination of what should be solid production in Rudolph and upside in Ertz.

I think if you had taken a backup QB a little earlier so you only had to get one and got at least one more WR you'd be in better shape. Knowing that I took 3 QBs, I probably only would have taken one kicker and picked up a 6th WR instead.

No real holes, but depth could be a big issue at RB and WR

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB

Johnny Manziel CLE QB

Ivory, Chris NYJ RB

Mathews, Ryan SDC RB

Ridley, Stevan NEP RB

Bryce Brown BUF RB

Allen, Keenan SDC WR

Amendola, Danny NEP WR

Floyd, Michael ARI WR

Gordon, Josh CLE WR

Hunter, Justin TEN WR

Brandon LaFell NE WR

Gronkowski, Rob NEP TE

Marcedes Lewis JAC TE

Matt Bryant PK ATL

Jay Feely PK ARI

Saints DST

Jets DST

Testing my theory that it's really easy to get through the first few weeks of a survivor.

Update: between Gronk and Gordon, plus Rodgers at Seattle, I have to be the favorite for a week 1 exit.

6.08 Philip Rivers, QB SD - QB15 [10]

9.09 Jake Locker, QB TEN - QB25 [9]

4.08 Ray Rice, RB BAL - RB21 [11]

5.09 Bishop Sankey, RB TEN - RB27 [9]

10.08 Khiry Robinson, RB NO - RB43 [6]

13.09 Donald Brown, RB SD - RB55 [10]

15.09 Christine Michael, RB SEA - RB61 [4]

1.09 Dez Bryant, WR DAL - WR3 [11]

3.09 Percy Harvin, WR SEA - WR14 [4]

7.09 Golden Tate, WR DET - WR40 [9]

11.09 Aaron Dobson, WR NE - WR63 [10]

12.08 Denarius Moore, WR OAK - WR69 [5]

17.09 Chris Givens, WR STL - WR89 [4]

2.08 Julius Thomas, TE DEN - TE3 [4]

8.08 Antonio Gates, TE SD - TE18 [10]

14.08 Steven Hauschka, K SEA - K3 [4]

16.08 Giants, D/ST NYG - D19 [8]

18.08 Colts, D/ST IND - D29 [10]

:drive:
Going to try a round-by-round commentary here instead of my usual position-by-position:

1.09 - Was planning to take Peyton if he made it here, but once he went at 1.07 I decided to punt QB and was set on Dez as a fallback plan. Think he has a better chance of finishing the season WR1 than anyone else not named Calvin.

2.08 - Didn’t see anything resembling good value left among RBs (apologies to Valence and Comet, but Stacy and Ball are not 2nd-round values IMO. They’re just not), and with the top 3 QB gone it was down to a choice between Alshon and Orange Julius. I didn’t want to have to wait at both the start-1 positions, so I pulled the trigger on Thomas here, figuring Decker’s red-zone targets have to go somewhere and OJT is likely to be the primary beneficiary.

3.09 - Really agonized between Ellington and Harvin at this spot, and would have been happy with either - but ultimately I think, unlike Ellington, a healthy Harvin is a near-lock for 1st-round production, and didn’t want to be kicking myself all season for missing out on that upside. A little of the pressure is off this year in Seattle on the heels of their title, and I really think that as a result we might see Carroll open up that offense a bit, with Harvin placed in all sorts of formations and capacities. Also, I’ve never punted RB for my first 3 picks in these survivor leagues, and honestly I kind of wanted to see how it would play out.

4.08 - Figured I had to get myself something resembling an RB1 eventually. 4th round seems like fair value for Rice even if he misses a couple of games; he'll still get the lion's share of the backfield work in Baltimore and should be consistent if unspectacular. My concern here was virtually locking myself into taking another RB coming back in round 5 given the high likelihood of a Rice suspension, but I saw quite a bit of value still on the board behind Rice and figured it was a risk worth taking.

5.09 - File under “NFL management isn’t stupid, Part 1” - while I didn’t watch much of Sankey in college, you don’t take a guy like him in the hgh 2nd as the first RB off the board if you don’t see talent you can put to good use. Higher ceiling than Bell or Gerhart with a higher week-to-week floor than the WRs available at this spot (Floyd, Wright, Wallace). Would have grabbed Brady or RG3 if they’d been here, but after they went ahead of me in the 5th there were only two guys without QBs left behind me, so I knew I’d get one of Kaep / Big Ben / Rivers on the way back.

6.08 - Love the way this draft broke for me in a few spots, including here. The gap between Rivers and anyone else outside the top 6 QBs is slim-to-none in my mind, so I was happy to stock up on talent elsewhere and let a true mid-tier QB1 fall to me at QB15. Rivers’ primary advantage over Cutler (the other guy left there I’d put in that tier) comes from his not missing a game since 2005, which carries significant value here, with just 18 roster spots to go around.

7.09 - Rivers is a solid enough QB that I didn’t feel the need to back him up immediately - plus drafting from the middle doesn’t make you as fearful of missing a crippling run at something like QB2. Going WR here rounded out my starting lineup, which in turn would allow me to go straight BPA from this point on. Tate ought to feast in the shadow of Megatron, who obviously limits his ceiling but Tate can still score points in bunches. He’s put up WR2 numbers in the pedestrian Seattle pass offense ... he should be able to do the same in the prolific Detroit one.

8.08 - Gates was far and away my BPA left here, so despite having a top-end TE1 I gritted my teeth and grabbed him … as I said upthread, there’s a fine line between principled and stupid, and we’ll see which this winds up being. We've seen the FBG community shovel dirt on old vets' graves many times before when there's a shiny new toy out there, only to have the old guy keep truckin' and prove us all wrong; I expect this to be demonstrated yet again in this case. My TE combo should stand toe-to-toe with Graham and put a lot of distance between me and the pack.

9.09 - Rivers' durability gave me latitude to gamble on a "high-upside QB2 who can't stay healthy" type ... Jake Locker, come on down! He's in a contract year with young up-and-coming WRs, and faces a schedule full of porous pass defenses. Yes, he's inconsistent, but that may work to my advantage in this format. Rivers' late bye week is a concern given Locker's injury history, but sometimes you just gotta roll the dice.

10.08 - Now that I was set at QB and TE, I planned to spend the next few rounds bolstering my RB and WR depth. Robinson in the 10th added high upside to my RBs, which I felt I needed more than safety at this point. Robinson could be #1 on the Saints' depth chart by the time camp breaks (though I don't think it's likely), and in any case he'll be in line for heavier use out of the backfield with Sproles gone.

11.09 - A straight BPA play in this round. I’m not sold on Dobson's talent, to be honest, but if they're going to improve their passing attack the Patriots almost have to get him more involved this season. I've seen (and owned) enough of LaFell to not be worried about him as any real barrier to a possible Dobson breakout. Woods was another option here, but in the end I'd rather wager on a Brady return to form than on a Manuel breakout.

12.08 - My choice here was between T. West and D. Moore as I don’t like going D/ST early, and went with Moore as I thought there was a chance West might make it back to me in the 13th. Moore has plenty of talent and may get traded before the season starts, which would be a shot in the arm for his fantasy value. I still think Streater emerges as at least the co-#1 guy in this offense, but Moore may be more valuable at this stage and in this particular format due to his big-game capabilities.

13.09 - Considered a D/ST here, but the top 11 were already off the board, and is there really much of a difference between the #12 and #20 units? So this pick of Donald Brown became “NFL management isn’t stupid, Part 2” - the backfield may be crowded in San Diego, but no GM gives a RB a 3-year, $10M+ contract in the first week of FA if he doesn’t intend to make use of him as best he can.

14.08 - With only 18 roster slots some compromises have to be made, and I decided I'd rather build RB/WR depth than worry about a backup kicker ... kicker scoring is more consistent than any other position, and they rarely get hurt (the top 16 guys missed a combined 13 games last year). That meant getting a good one early. Hauschka is relatively young, will get lots of FG opportunities in a hard-nosed defensive division, plus his Week 4 bye was key to me flying solo and gave him the nod over Tucker.

15.09 - Given that Michael is such a Shark Pool darling, I was shocked he was still around for me in the 15th, so even though I had planned on making my 5th RB a deep flier in the last round I had to grab him here. In this format I really don't care about consistency from my #5/#6 guys and would rather have home-run hitters like Michael who can score for me multiple weeks. My 5 RBs were all in the top 50 RBs by ADP in the PDSLs, so either they were way overdrafted there or I picked up some good value here.

16.08 - My three remaining picks clearly needed to be a 6th WR and two D/STs (whose week-to-week scoring is much less consistent than kickers, making a backup important). Didn’t see any compelling receiver values, so jumped on the best D/ST available. The Giants should be an improved squad overall in 2014, leading to more opportunities to play from ahead, plus they get a weaker schedule including some bottom-dwelling AFC South offenses.

17.09 - As I noted above, I'm looking for upside out of my end-of-draft guys, not someone who’s just going to put up a 3/40/0 stat line every week. And I’m not a big believer in the “third-year WR breakout”, but if it’s going to happen to anyone this season, Givens is a good candidate. He’s put up decent reception and yardage stats his first 2 years in a crowded WR field - with anything like a full year of Bradford, someone in that field is going to put up a career year, and Givens is just as likely as any of them.

18.08 - Thrilled that the Colts’ D/ST made it back to my final pick, as I had them head and shoulders above the other three units left on the board (as well as a handful that went ahead of them). They play an aggressive style that should produce sacks and turnovers even if they’ll never be among the league leaders in yards or points allowed. Playing on the fast turf of the dome should increase opportunities for special teams TDs as well.

Overall: Feel like I set myself up with a solid core early on, then got some luck on my side the rest of the way as value kept falling to me at positions where I needed to go anyway. Loved being in the 9-spot (in each of my four previous survivors I was at or near the ends) and thought it added a lot of flexibility to my draft strategy. Looking through all the SSLs, of all the teams mine seems to bear the strongest similarity to Ref's ... which makes me feel pretty good about the upcoming season.

:drive: :drive:

OK, without unduly taxing my brain or time, I took a comparative look at the teams, and these our my subjective thoughts. Note, I realize this is my opinion only, so feel free to comment.

I am going to post some great value picks, solid teams with a chance of not being low scorer prior to week 12 (blow out teams dependent on one or two "hot" players may be victorious or fail based upon one player's health and availability - imagine if Peyton had not played a full season, all of Denver would have suffered).

Value picks - Pierre Thomas 7.12, will be the main carrier in NO for much of the season, good PPR back especially with Sproles gone now.

Lance Dunbar - 17.16 He is fit, does well in his role and with opportunity, and Dallas has voiced a commitment to the run this year. Demarco Murray has a history of being out due to injury for a game or two at a time, so I thought this was an overlooked handcuff. I had considered him over a 6 WR lineup, but just did not have the WR strength to do so.

James Jones - 11.05. Should get opportunity and be a key part of that offense. I realize he is not super dependable and now it is Schaub instead of Rodgers throwing to him, but at 11.05, that is value.

I don't like touting my own team, but I thought that McCluster in a PPR as a RB was value at 10.15, and if he does not get suspended or just stop trying, Britt at 12.15 seemed like a possible WR1 (for the Rams) in a late round. Rice at round 15 seemed like a good value as well, especially with Tate moved to the Lions.

Carolina Hustler actually drafted well, other than my bias against one D and one K rosters. F Jackson in the eighth, and David Wilson are value and he doesn't have a glaring weakness. Hard to get excited for him though after his comments during the draft. Some of his WR picks are good too.

Ray Rice in the fourth, value, plain and simple value.

I like Stevie Johnson in round 11 for value as well. San Fran got a nice receiver there to complement a strong passing game.

Criticisms - Rzrbk77 picking two week 4 defenses. Realize that is an underappreciated position, but that is a 5 - 10 point handicap that week which is easily the margin between lower scoring teams.

For the record, I think one D or one K teams have the same flaw. I never understood going into a week with less than a full roster by design.

I have to say it, I don't like Doug Martin at 2.07. Even before his injury, he was underwhelming and his ADP seems to be based on opportunity, not performance (barring his rookie season). Coming off a serious injury, I am not sure I would depend upon him. Two of other four backs have shared week 8 bye, so if he does miss games, would be significant.

BAMAC has already noted he is likely out on week 10, barring a week 9 immunity. Some of the picks came prior to the schedule being released, others following.

Hard to say who excelled. Many strong teams, but I would say it easier to pick a few that are weaker than most than a few that are stronger than most. It was a good (though slow at points) draft.

I am going to not make a prediction of top teams, time is too short right now.

2.08 - Didn’t see anything resembling good value left among RBs (apologies to Valence and Comet, but Stacy and Ball are not 2nd-round values IMO. They’re just not), and with the top 3 QB gone it was down to a choice between Alshon and Orange Julius. I didn’t want to have to wait at both the start-1 positions, so I pulled the trigger on Thomas here, figuring Decker’s red-zone targets have to go somewhere and OJT is likely to be the primary beneficiary.
What am I missing on Stacy? Barring injury, he seems like a lock for 1000 yards and 8+ touchdowns behind perhaps the best run blocking line in the league. The Robinson pick really sent Stacy's value over the top in my opinion. Mason is a nice player and the only real threat to Stacy's production which is why I grabbed him in the 10th, but I see this as a 60/40 split in favor of Stacy, including nearly all the goal line touches. Yea I get that he plays in the toughest division in football and has 6 games against great defenses but he went for 134 yards last year @ home vs Seattle and scored a TD against Arizona. He did put up a stinker @ Seattle in their last game of the year but not many players do well for fantasy against the Hawks in Seattle. The line is fantastic, he's a year more experienced, and the team clearly wants to run the ball. I don't think projecting the team for 450 carries in 2014 is outlandish. Stacy should see at least 250 of those.

Unless you think Mason is going to run away with the job Stacy is a lock for top 15 production at his position which would make him an RB1 in this league.

Regarding having both my defenses on week 4, it is definitely not desireable to go defenseless as it were any week. However, week 4 is early and I was willing to risk it getting the best defensive backs in the league.

There are six NFL teams on bye that week and aside from not having a DST, I will only be missing my last selected WR and my last selected RB, so hopefully I can advance without a DST.

It's a gamble, just like a few teams toon with only one DST and several with only one PK, but with only an 18 man roster and with 16 teams a choice I can live with.

What am I missing on Stacy? Barring injury, he seems like a lock for 1000 yards and 8+ touchdowns behind perhaps the best run blocking line in the league. The Robinson pick really sent Stacy's value over the top in my opinion. Mason is a nice player and the only real threat to Stacy's production which is why I grabbed him in the 10th, but I see this as a 60/40 split in favor of Stacy, including nearly all the goal line touches. Yea I get that he plays in the toughest division in football and has 6 games against great defenses but he went for 134 yards last year @ home vs Seattle and scored a TD against Arizona. He did put up a stinker @ Seattle in their last game of the year but not many players do well for fantasy against the Hawks in Seattle. The line is fantastic, he's a year more experienced, and the team clearly wants to run the ball. I don't think projecting the team for 450 carries in 2014 is outlandish. Stacy should see at least 250 of those.

Unless you think Mason is going to run away with the job Stacy is a lock for top 15 production at his position which would make him an RB1 in this league.
I was probably a bit harsh in my assessment of both these guys - what I should have said was something more along the lines of "I don't see much value there for them in the 2nd round relative to the risk." To me they're a big step down from the Foster / Lynch / Martin tier and the value prop on them isn't any more compelling than for backs like Spiller, Vereen, Ellington, maybe even Morris, all of whom went a round or more later.

I give a lot of credit to Stacy for taking full advantage of a really favorable situation in St. Louis last year, but there are a lot of things weighing against a repeat of that in '14. Obviously the Rams didn't draft Mason as high as they did without intending to use him. Obviously the Rams play some brutal defenses and just a tough schedule in general, plus they (at least should) get a healthy Bradford back, meaning I expect them to throw the ball quite a bit more this year. And I won't get into how innately talented I think he is or isn't - there's a whole SP thread with those arguments raging already - but suffice it to say I'm still very much in "prove it" mode in my assessment of him.

I do really like that you grabbed Mason to put alongside him in the 10th, though - he was my next choice at that spot if I hadn't taken Robinson. Between the two of them you ought to get a decent score each week to pair with Spiller.

Loaded the draft into the DD and used Dodds' projections as is with the following results:

Looking only at total team strength

1) Comet 2641

2) Pictus Cat 2575

3) Holloway 2575

4) Rudnicki 2548

5) HitNRun 2546

6) Mr. I 2507

7) Norseman 2461

8) Valence 2426

9) Gamma 2412

10) Fiddles 2409

11) Gandalas 2408

12) CHustler 2393

13) Red Zone 2686

14) Dpeease 2350

15) BAMAC 2348

16) Bloom 2316

Quarterbacks

1) Dpeease 606

2) Holloway 589

3) Comet 586

4) Gamma 570

Running Backs

1) Comet 709

2) Gamma 632

3) Bloom 611

4) Rudnicki 586

Wide Receivers

1) C Hustler 881

2) Pictus 867

3) Mr. I 850

4) Valence 846

Tight Ends

1) Pictus 378

2) Mr. I 361

3) BAMAC 317

4) Rudnicki 307

PK

1) Comet 197

2) Dpeease 196

3) Fiddles 189

4) Gamma 186

DST

1) Holloway 215 - except both on week 4 bye

2) Gandalas 214

3) Gamma 214

4) Norseman 205

Loaded the draft into the DD and used Dodds' projections as is with the following results:

1) Comet 2641

2) Pictus Cat 2575

3) Holloway 2575

4) Rudnicki 2548

5) HitNRun 2546

6) Mr. I 2507

7) Norseman 2461

8) Valence 2426

9) Gamma 2412

10) Fiddles 2409

11) Gandalas 2408

12) CHustler 2393

13) Red Zone 2686

14) Dpeease 2350

15) BAMAC 2348

16) Bloom 2316
Bloom must think Dodds' projections suck. :lol:

Thank you for doing this. I invested quite a bit in the Giants this year as backups at QB2, WR4, and TE2. Didn't pick early at WR but turn out ok.

between Gronk and Gordon, plus Rodgers at Seattle, I have to be the favorite for a week 1 exit.
Only thing I got right regarding this draft.
Oh ####! Mike Floyd carries me to week 2. C'mon, get Gordon on the field, get Feely on a team, get Johnny under center, and I'm back in this thing!
Hey, at least your 4th-round pick is actually going to see the field this season. :wall:

8.08 - Gates was far and away my BPA left here, so despite having a top-end TE1 I gritted my teeth and grabbed him … as I said upthread, there’s a fine line between principled and stupid, and we’ll see which this winds up being. We've seen the FBG community shovel dirt on old vets' graves many times before when there's a shiny new toy out there, only to have the old guy keep truckin' and prove us all wrong; I expect this to be demonstrated yet again in this case. My TE combo should stand toe-to-toe with Graham and put a lot of distance between me and the pack.
So, yeah, it turns out this Gates guy can still play a little.

Of course, I pay such careful attention to my own words that I drafted him in exactly zero of my money leagues (and Green in three).

1) Comet 2641

2) Pictus Cat 2575

3) Holloway 2575

4) Rudnicki 2548

5) HitNRun 2546

6) Mr. I 2507

7) Norseman 2461

8) Valence 2426

9) Gamma 2412

10) Fiddles 2409

11) Gandalas 2408

12) CHustler 2393

13) Red Zone 2686

14) Dpeease 2350

15) BAMAC 2348

16) Bloom 2316

Quarterbacks

1) Dpeease 606

2) Holloway 589

3) Comet 586

4) Gamma 570

Running Backs

1) Comet 709

2) Gamma 632

3) Bloom 611

4) Rudnicki 586

Wide Receivers

1) C Hustler 881

2) Pictus 867

3) Mr. I 850

4) Valence 846

Tight Ends

1) Pictus 378

2) Mr. I 361

3) BAMAC 317

4) Rudnicki 307

PK

1) Comet 197

2) Dpeease 196

3) Fiddles 189

4) Gamma 186

DST

1) Holloway 215 - except both on week 4 bye

2) Gandalas 214

3) Gamma 214

4) Norseman 205
LOL

Week 1 and done.

1) Comet 2641

2) Pictus Cat 2575

3) Holloway 2575

4) Rudnicki 2548

5) HitNRun 2546

6) Mr. I 2507

7) Norseman 2461

8) Valence 2426

9) Gamma 2412

10) Fiddles 2409

11) Gandalas 2408

12) CHustler 2393

13) Red Zone 2686

14) Dpeease 2350

15) BAMAC 2348

16) Bloom 2316
LOLWeek 1 and done.
Pretty good on me. Worst team in the league (though somehow still alive).

1) Comet 2641

2) Pictus Cat 2575

3) Holloway 2575

4) Rudnicki 2548

5) HitNRun 2546

6) Mr. I 2507

7) Norseman 2461

8) Valence 2426

9) Gamma 2412

10) Fiddles 2409

11) Gandalas 2408

12) CHustler 2393

13) Red Zone 2686

14) Dpeease 2350

15) BAMAC 2348

16) Bloom 2316
LOLWeek 1 and done.
Pretty good on me. Worst team in the league (though somehow still alive).
Update: D-U-N.

So, yeah, it turns out this Gates guy can still play a little.
Did I say "a little"? I meant "like a complete freakin' beast". :bowtie:

Users who are viewing this thread