What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

STAR WARS: Episode 7 (All-Time #1 opening box office.) (1 Viewer)

No interest in: The Truce at Bakura?or The Yuuzhan Vong War?I thought the books were good and provide at least a decent premise.
Not really. I mean "therotically" anything could work but if I am disney I'm not tieing myself to some obscure (to the general public) book that may or may not be well written to use as the basis for my next 200 million dollar movie. The only people who care about the canon are people who are going to come to the new movie anyway. Plain and simple. I would be really surprised if the plot of the next movies involves anything that has been written or mentioned before.
As obscure as the first script? And a lot of the books have made the best seller list. They are no more obscure than any other best seller. Lastly the millions of people that bought those books are your core audience, everyone else is just along for the ride.
Well I bet you could do a poll of everyone that saw Revenge of the Sith and ask them "have you read or heard of The Yuuzhan War as relates to Star Wars?" and I would be surprised if it registered with 5% of said people. The core audience isn't the movie going public and will shell out the $$ virtually no matter what. I mean Episode 7 could be titled Jar's Jar's rollicking adventure and they still would get my $10.50 at least once. Just being honest. And if they are callng it episode seven it implies a continuation of the story. Some alien invasion of the galaxy seems out of left field in the story arc. Something like the Thrawn books seems most likely with at least familar feeling bad guys. My bet would be they start the new movies some time shortly after the events of ROTJ, recast Luke, Leia, and Han with young actors they can grow with and go forward with some new baddies that are trying to prevent or take over the restoration of the Republic and the Jedi Order. That is what virtually all the books post ROTJ are about in one way or the other but I can't see Disney tying their hands creatively or giving away their story for all three movies before the first one is on theater screens. Which is what they would be doing if they said the next three movies are based on X book or X Trilogy of Books.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a visual I keep seeing of "Vader":

It's a dark street. The buildings look surprisingly human. It could be any street in the world but it doesn't matter because you don't see anything except the back of a figure from the chest down to the waist and you can hear him walking. Then you see someone step out and tell the figure to stop. You then see him pull out the saber and turn it on and then you hear the breathing while the person in the distance immediately cowers in fear.

Disney HAS to cash in on Vader and even though all the early rumors point to a 7,8 and 9....I think they need to make the obvious choice while they can.

Protagonist? Bring back Yoda and Obi-wan. No one seems to like the prequels anyway. How hard would it be to bring them out of hiding. I mean is it so hard to believe that they hopped on ships and tried to stop Vader one last time?
Yes. "When I left you, I was but the learner; now *I* am the master." It's pretty much implied that when the Emperor took over Yoda and Obi-wan went into hiding. Of course, Disney can do anything they want. I'd rather see Vader in the years between saying 'NOOOOOOOOOOO' and meeting Leia on the ship that was on a 'diplomatic mission to Alderaan'. He hunts down jedi's, forces breakaway systems into the Imperial dictatorshipl, puts down small uprisings here and there. The hook is that the whole time he's being evil, there are moments when he let's someone innocent get away that reminds him of his mother or Padme, that sometimes he clashes with the Emperor when he feels he's being too cruel, etc., culminating in a decision to leave Tattoine alone versus enslaving/killing everyone on the planet for some resource. We know that ultimately Vader redeems himself, so we don't necessarily need to have movies with good guys besting him at something, but rather explore what makes Vader Vader.

Regarding 7-9...It will without question include Han Solo, Luke and Leia. How could it not? If they are "starting over" with an entire new cast of characters 100 years later, wouldn't they call it "new generation" or something of the sort? The fact that it is Star Wars 7 would logically mean it would have to have some relation to the original 6 movies, right? Or they would call it the "new trilogy" or something of the sort.

And then there is the financial aspect, which is really where it becomes a no-brainer. There is no way Disney is going to start their first foray into Star Wars with entirely new characters. That's like buying the rights to Marvel and then creating new characters! Screw Iron man we made our own Disney character! Yeah right.

The Star Wars characters are institutions and Disney just spent 4 billion bucks for them. They didn't spend 4 billion dollars so that they could simply have light sabers and the force. They spent the money for Luke Skywalker, Leia, Han Solo, Vader, etc. Only nerds know or care anything about Grand Admiral Thrawn, Mara Jade, etc. Will they create new characters? Without question. But they won't base their entire movie around people that the general public know nothing about.

Come see our new movie! It has Mara Jade, Admiral Thrawn and Anakin Solo! There would be a big collective yawn among the general public.

Come see our new movie! It takes place 100 years after all the characters you know and love are dead! I'm sure that is the trilogy the general public is dying for!

Child please

Here is a visual I keep seeing of "Vader":

It's a dark street. The buildings look surprisingly human. It could be any street in the world but it doesn't matter because you don't see anything except the back of a figure from the chest down to the waist and you can hear him walking. Then you see someone step out and tell the figure to stop. You then see him pull out the saber and turn it on and then you hear the breathing while the person in the distance immediately cowers in fear.

Disney HAS to cash in on Vader and even though all the early rumors point to a 7,8 and 9....I think they need to make the obvious choice while they can.

Protagonist? Bring back Yoda and Obi-wan. No one seems to like the prequels anyway. How hard would it be to bring them out of hiding. I mean is it so hard to believe that they hopped on ships and tried to stop Vader one last time?
Yes. "When I left you, I was but the learner; now *I* am the master." It's pretty much implied that when the Emperor took over Yoda and Obi-wan went into hiding. Of course, Disney can do anything they want. I'd rather see Vader in the years between saying 'NOOOOOOOOOOO' and meeting Leia on the ship that was on a 'diplomatic mission to Alderaan'. He hunts down jedi's, forces breakaway systems into the Imperial dictatorshipl, puts down small uprisings here and there. The hook is that the whole time he's being evil, there are moments when he let's someone innocent get away that reminds him of his mother or Padme, that sometimes he clashes with the Emperor when he feels he's being too cruel, etc., culminating in a decision to leave Tattoine alone versus enslaving/killing everyone on the planet for some resource. We know that ultimately Vader redeems himself, so we don't necessarily need to have movies with good guys besting him at something, but rather explore what makes Vader Vader.
I totally agree. The one downside is that it's hard to have the central character be a man in a mask. Vader also isn't known for being eloquent with words. Hard to imagine Vader sitting in a chair, gazing into the sunset and deciding if he's being too cruel or not.However, I think a beast movie exists between 3 and 4 and with enough awesome writers stuck in a room, they could come up with something that works.

No interest in: The Truce at Bakura?or The Yuuzhan Vong War?I thought the books were good and provide at least a decent premise.
Not really. I mean "therotically" anything could work but if I am disney I'm not tieing myself to some obscure (to the general public) book that may or may not be well written to use as the basis for my next 200 million dollar movie. The only people who care about the canon are people who are going to come to the new movie anyway. Plain and simple. I would be really surprised if the plot of the next movies involves anything that has been written or mentioned before.
As obscure as the first script? And a lot of the books have made the best seller list. They are no more obscure than any other best seller. Lastly the millions of people that bought those books are your core audience, everyone else is just along for the ride.
Well I bet you could do a poll of everyone that saw Revenge of the Sith and ask them "have you read or heard of The Yuuzhan War as relates to Star Wars?" and I would be surprised if it registered with 5% of said people. The core audience isn't the movie going public and will shell out the $$ virtually no matter what. I mean Episode 7 could be titled Jar's Jar's rollicking adventure and they still would get my $10.50 at least once. Just being honest. And if they are callng it episode seven it implies a continuation of the story. Some alien invasion of the galaxy seems out of left field in the story arc. Something like the Thrawn books seems most likely with at least familar feeling bad guys. My bet would be they start the new movies some time shortly after the events of ROTJ, recast Luke, Leia, and Han with young actors they can grow with and go forward with some new baddies that are trying to prevent or take over the restoration of the Republic and the Jedi Order. That is what virtually all the books post ROTJ are about in one way or the other but I can't see Disney tying their hands creatively or giving away their story for all three movies before the first one is on theater screens. Which is what they would be doing if they said the next three movies are based on X book or X Trilogy of Books.
:goodposting: Disney isn't going to confine themselves to nerd fan fiction, although they may take aspects of that fiction that work. But the storylines will be nothing like the books and I think that's pretty obvious.

:goodposting: Disney isn't going to confine themselves to nerd fan fiction, although they may take aspects of that fiction that work. But the storylines will be nothing like the books and I think that's pretty obvious.
You guys keep going with fan fiction as a pejorative but we aren't talking fan fiction. We are talking real novels written by real writers who used the same characters that are in the movies and did so with Lucas' blessing.

Regarding 7-9...It will without question include Han Solo, Luke and Leia. How could it not? If they are "starting over" with an entire new cast of characters 100 years later, wouldn't they call it "new generation" or something of the sort? The fact that it is Star Wars 7 would logically mean it would have to have some relation to the original 6 movies, right? Or they would call it the "new trilogy" or something of the sort.And then there is the financial aspect, which is really where it becomes a no-brainer. There is no way Disney is going to start their first foray into Star Wars with entirely new characters. That's like buying the rights to Marvel and then creating new characters! Screw Iron man we made our own Disney character! Yeah right.The Star Wars characters are institutions and Disney just spent 4 billion bucks for them. They didn't spend 4 billion dollars so that they could simply have light sabers and the force. They spent the money for Luke Skywalker, Leia, Han Solo, Vader, etc. Only nerds know or care anything about Grand Admiral Thrawn, Mara Jade, etc. Will they create new characters? Without question. But they won't base their entire movie around people that the general public know nothing about.Come see our new movie! It has Mara Jade, Admiral Thrawn and Anakin Solo! There would be a big collective yawn among the general public.Come see our new movie! It takes place 100 years after all the characters you know and love are dead! I'm sure that is the trilogy the general public is dying for!Child please
The financial part was what I was trying to get at but not quite so elegantly. I think we know who the good guys are going to be. Question is who the bad guys are.

Regarding 7-9...It will without question include Han Solo, Luke and Leia. How could it not?
But with all your other posts in this thread you continually want to make Episode III.VIt's Episode 7. There is no more Vader. :wall:
Well yes, I personally want a Vader movie, and I think a Vader movie is without question going to happen at some point. I personally think it would be wise to do it first, and I understand that it probably won't happen first. I also know episodes 7-9 take place AFTER Vader is dead, so obviously he won't be in them. I'm fine with that.

You guys keep going with fan fiction as a pejorative but we aren't talking fan fiction. We are talking real novels written by real writers who used the same characters that are in the movies and did so with Lucas' blessing.
I'm not saying it as a pejorative. It just isn't mainstream stuff. I really enjoyed the Thrawn series. Zahn is a pretty good writer. BUT it was written when Lucas had no interest in what happened after ROTJ. He wasn't going to make any movies so if he let someone else run with it and cashed in some more while making the core audience happy, win, win, win. Now it's Disneys show and they aren't tying their hands to anything that hasn't been seen on a movie screen.

Regarding 7-9...It will without question include Han Solo, Luke and Leia. How could it not?
But with all your other posts in this thread you continually want to make Episode III.VIt's Episode 7. There is no more Vader. :wall:
Well yes, I personally want a Vader movie, and I think a Vader movie is without question going to happen at some point. I personally think it would be wise to do it first, and I understand that it probably won't happen first. I also know episodes 7-9 take place AFTER Vader is dead, so obviously he won't be in them. I'm fine with that.
Ok, gotcha now. I was taking it as you were expecting/wanting Ep7 to be about/include Vader.

From what I understand though...none of that is canon or gospel.

I get that some of you think the books are obscure to the general movie going audience but why is that important? Unless you want remakes of the original trilogy I don't think they would be any more obscure than starting from scratch on a script.

Point being take the best written script regardless of the source material. Seems to me the books have an edge for providing well formulated source material.

And WTF bentley?

With the concept of cloning existing in the Star Wars universe, no character is ever truly dead.

They could just clone a dark Jedi from Luke's severed hand, for example.

With the concept of cloning existing in the Star Wars universe, no character is ever truly dead.They could just clone a dark Jedi from Luke's severed hand, for example.
True, but it would be incredibly stupid to go down a story line of having "clones" from the earlier movies that don't look like the characters from the earlier movies. It's one thing to clone Anikin if they are going to be in the vader costume, but to clone Luke, and have the character not look exactly like Luke? Stupid. Just reboot and have new actors, whatever.

With the concept of cloning existing in the Star Wars universe, no character is ever truly dead.They could just clone a dark Jedi from Luke's severed hand, for example.
True, but it would be incredibly stupid to go down a story line of having "clones" from the earlier movies that don't look like the characters from the earlier movies. It's one thing to clone Anikin if they are going to be in the vader costume, but to clone Luke, and have the character not look exactly like Luke? Stupid. Just reboot and have new actors, whatever.
Eh, just splice it with frog DNA a-la Jurassic Park and now the possibilities are endless! :excited:

Eh, just splice it with frog DNA a-la Jurassic Park and now the possibilities are endless! :excited:
They already did that. Named him Jar Jar iirc.

Regarding 7-9...It will without question include Han Solo, Luke and Leia. How could it not? If they are "starting over" with an entire new cast of characters 100 years later, wouldn't they call it "new generation" or something of the sort? The fact that it is Star Wars 7 would logically mean it would have to have some relation to the original 6 movies, right? Or they would call it the "new trilogy" or something of the sort.And then there is the financial aspect, which is really where it becomes a no-brainer. There is no way Disney is going to start their first foray into Star Wars with entirely new characters. That's like buying the rights to Marvel and then creating new characters! Screw Iron man we made our own Disney character! Yeah right.The Star Wars characters are institutions and Disney just spent 4 billion bucks for them. They didn't spend 4 billion dollars so that they could simply have light sabers and the force. They spent the money for Luke Skywalker, Leia, Han Solo, Vader, etc. Only nerds know or care anything about Grand Admiral Thrawn, Mara Jade, etc. Will they create new characters? Without question. But they won't base their entire movie around people that the general public know nothing about.Come see our new movie! It has Mara Jade, Admiral Thrawn and Anakin Solo! There would be a big collective yawn among the general public.Come see our new movie! It takes place 100 years after all the characters you know and love are dead! I'm sure that is the trilogy the general public is dying for!Child please
Such a good posting. :goodposting: Somewhere some poor nerd just stopped masturbating.

This will not be the Star Wars you are looking for.Luke, Vader and the gang will probably not even be involved. They won't revamp the name but explain another part of the whole Star Wars universe. Characters won't be recognized as they will be new. Places may be much different. No Tatooine or Hoth or Naboo. I would not mind seeing the rise of the clone army with the building of the Death Star. All those private contractors who died with the second Death Star might be a good story. All I'm saying is we will not recognize this new Star Wars.
Link? Or rank speculation on your part?
Insane ramblings of his own.Being that Lucas has treatments for 7-9 and has had them for quite some time, I am pretty certain that they involve Luke and his journey towards becoming a truly powerful jedi master and being in the world essentially alone, while Leia deals with the rebuilding of the Republic. With some new villains and heroes along the way.

Sith is a great Star Wars film, period. Its dialog and acting is no more hokey than any of the other movies. Unless you think Luke going "Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!" is somehow great acting or dialog.I think Sith is every bit as good as Empire.
I wouldn't go quite that far...but it's not too far off.
Even if you don't think it's as good as Empire, I think you could easily make an argument that it's the 2nd best of the movies.The battle between Obi Wan and Vader is epic. Full of pathos. Best fight in the entire series, IMO.
I'm not sure I agree. Much of Sith was very good. But I can never get past the fact that the movie is the one that established that the baddasest badass in the history of film became just an angsty teenager that was good at swordfighting.
Part of what Lucas was exploring was that villains sometimes believe that their actions are justified because they are acting for the greater good and they don't feel what they are doing is evil. In this respect Vader feels that the universe would be better for everyone if he was in charge and they'd did what he told them to do. It's an interesting theory when looking at historical events like religious wars, genocides, terrorism. Are the people in those acts convinced that what they are doing is for the greater good? That they are on the side of good?

From what I understand though...none of that is canon or gospel.
Canon is fairly thin to start with.

Speaking of canon what little there is suggests you can't clone a Jedi. You can perhaps get a force sensitive clone but not a full on, in control of their powers Jedi.

I know it's going to be treated as heresy, but if I were in charge, I'd simply remake the first movie. Worked for Star Trek. Worked for Spiderman. Just remake the first film with an all new cast, and modern special effects. Maybe cast Josh Holloway from Lost as Han Solo.
There's a difference between Star Trek and Star Wars. Star Trek was a tv show first. Its existential experience for the fans was through the show. The movies by and large were hit and miss for Star Trek. Star Trek the Motion Picture (Star Trek 1) is a god awful mess. You also have the fact that they have had 4 tv series since then with a new cast of characters in the same universe. By the time we got the revisioned original cast, Star Trek fans were well accustomed to new people in the roles. Star Wars was a movie experience and the original films are like sacred documents of a religion that cannot be changed or rewritten. Fans would not be as open to redoing the original movie because they have been ingrained into the hearts and minds of all the fans with no variations. The books of the EU use the original actors likenesses for their covers. When people say Han, Leia and Luke, they see the young Harrison Ford, Carrie Fischer and Mark Hamill. Replacing them with new people would not work because fans have an idea of what these characters are supposed to look like.

I get that some of you think the books are obscure to the general movie going audience but why is that important? Unless you want remakes of the original trilogy I don't think they would be any more obscure than starting from scratch on a script. Point being take the best written script regardless of the source material. Seems to me the books have an edge for providing well formulated source material.And WTF bentley?
Agree completely on the best source material. I imagine that they can come up with something more interesting to goers than the books even though the Zahn ones are decent enough.Also, I've got a few more chapters to post tonight. Hold on to your butts.

Umm the Thrawn trilogy begins 5 years after ROTJ. Luke, Leia and Han are the protagonists. Landos there. C3p0, R2, Chewie. The whole crew that everyone knows and loves is alive and well. Its a continuation of their story. Thrawn and the Remnants of the Empire are the antagonists. MAra JAde is a new quasi villain slash anti-hero. Anakin Solo isn't even born until way later. Jaina and Jacen Solo are still in Leia's womb. This is the story that people want to hear and will goto the theater in droves for because it continues the Star Wars Saga. When bashing something, do just a tad bit of research before you crap all over yourself.

In doing some reading around sources say they are going from scratch. I am sure Lucas has some broad outline but by and large what we see on screen hasn't been written and released anywhere. So no books. Sadly no Bentley.

Umm the Thrawn trilogy begins 5 years after ROTJ. Luke, Leia and Han are the protagonists. Landos there. C3p0, R2, Chewie. The whole crew that everyone knows and loves is alive and well. Its a continuation of their story. Thrawn and the Remnants of the Empire are the antagonists. MAra JAde is a new quasi villain slash anti-hero. Anakin Solo isn't even born until way later. Jaina and Jacen Solo are still in Leia's womb. This is the story that people want to hear and will goto the theater in droves for because it continues the Star Wars Saga. When bashing something, do just a tad bit of research before you crap all over yourself.
Grow up nerd, I read the first book. I am fully aware of the timeline. The problem with the first Zahn book in my opinion? It sucked! I know there are thousands of EU nerds out there that think that the events immediately after ROTJ are sacred and are already accounted for. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but in the world of Hollywood, the period after ROTJ is a blank slate.And while, yes, having Mara Jade would obviously imply that Luke and the main characters would be involved, the basic point of the post was that thy aren't just going to start at a period of time after the characters we know and love are dead.Would it make sense from a financial standpoint to have Grand Master Thrawn? In honesty it makes no difference whatsoever. Why? Because he is a nobody to 99 percent of the public. The guys that know him are going to see the movie anyway. They will choose whatever they feel will make the best story.

Even though he sold it to Disney, for anyone to think they'll make the movies that have "Episode" in the title while following the writings and ideas of someone else not named Lucas is silly.

Grow up nerd, I read the first book. I am fully aware of the timeline. The problem with the first Zahn book in my opinion? It sucked! I know there are thousands of EU nerds out there that think that the events immediately after ROTJ are sacred and are already accounted for. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but in the world of Hollywood, the period after ROTJ is a blank slate.And while, yes, having Mara Jade would obviously imply that Luke and the main characters would be involved, the basic point of the post was that thy aren't just going to start at a period of time after the characters we know and love are dead.Would it make sense from a financial standpoint to have Grand Master Thrawn? In honesty it makes no difference whatsoever. Why? Because he is a nobody to 99 percent of the public. The guys that know him are going to see the movie anyway. They will choose whatever they feel will make the best story.
So in your minds Disney is going to come out with a revamped version of the original with no changes whatsoever? And you think that will sell? People want to have a story move on from what they know but not stray too far. Yes they won't dive into characters that 99% of the public have never heard of to carry a new movie on its own but there is literally a library's worth of material for people to work from. You think that these guys want to reinvent the wheel? Why do you think there are so many book to movie adaptations in the first place? How many people knew who Tom Clancy was before and then after Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and present danger? How many people heard of Davinci Code before and after the movie? The twilight books, the Harry Potter books; all of them have their following and all have flourished in the box office basing the script on the books. Because it was easy to do. You had the source material and a plot. You just have to work it into a 2 hour script. If you're talking purely financial, then Disney doesn't have to risk so much money creating something from scratch or rehashing what's been done in the hopes it doesn't bomb. They can go with what has already worked with the fanbase and add their little additions here and there. It's been a proven system that has worked for the movie industry for years. In order for a product to grow beyond it's current boundaries it needs new principles. Mainly it needs new bad guys since the main ones are dead. IF they want this thing to become a continuous money train that pumps out a movie every 3 or 4 years, they will need to build off of what is there. As for being a nerd and needing to grow up, dude. You're on a message board discussing Star Wars new movies on the internet. Pot meet kettle. Plus if you think that the world is the same as it was in 1999 where a hardcore fanbase can't affect the vast majority, then you have no idea how the internet works.

CHAPTER VIII.

The door opened for Picard, revealing the darkness of Thrawn's

office. He wondered if there'd been a mistake, but then he saw a

single source of light within. Slowly he stepped through the door and

heard the hiss as it closed behind him. As he approached he noticed

the light was coming from a hologram, a rather familiar hologram.

"Pardon my rudeness, captain," Thrawn said eventually, his eyes still

on the hologram. "I was just pondering this strange painting."

Picard walked up to Thrawn's side and looked as well. The

grand admiral was seated only a few meters away from the hologram of-

"The Mona Lisa," Picard said, "perhaps the most famous work of art in

Earth's history."

"Yes," Thrawn said as he leaned forward in his chair, "a

painting so simple and yet so - indefinable in its beauty. I have

been studying this great mystery for the past hour."

Picard smiled. "Scholars have spent their entire careers

studying this painting, trying to glean some insight. What does it

represent? How does it move us? What..."

"Yes, fascinating," Thrawn interrupted, "I was wondering why

she has no eyebrows."

Picard looked at Thrawn quizzically, and then back at the

painting. "Er, eyebrows, admiral?"

"She has no eyebrows," Thrawn said with a gesture of slight

confusion. "Why would the painting of Earth's most famous woman have

no eyebrows?" Picard was stricken rather dumb by the question. Thrawn

swiveled in his chair to face him. "My apologies, I do sometimes get

engrossed in these things." He looked Picard over for a moment.

"Capt. Jean-luc Picard, of the USS Enterprise, representative of the

United Federation of Planets, good to finally meet you face-to-face."

Picard responded in kind. Thrawn paused for a moment. "What does it

mean to 'strike the colors'?"

Picard was starting to wonder if Thrawn was some kind of

eccentric. The Incaciad had contacted them, requesting Picard to come

over in person right away, and it seemed all he wanted to talk about

were colors and eyebrows. "I'm afraid I don't know what you mean,

admiral."

Thrawn smiled slightly, a somewhat chilling effect. "I was

reading about the USS Enterprise actually. No, not your ship, but its

namesake. Apparently in one of the ancient wars on your homeworld, a

ship called the USS Enterprise battled an enemy vessel, the HMS Boxer

during what was called the War of 1812."

Picard nodded as realization set in; he was naturally familiar

with the many namesakes of his ship. "Yes, in 1813 the two ships

engaged in battle off the eastern coast of what was then called the

United States. Two wooden vessels, their weapons limited to primitive

projectile launchers and their power provided by the wind."

"Yes," Thrawn nodded. "And during that battle, the commander

of the vessel, what was his name, oh yes, William Burrows, was killed.

And his last instruction to the crew was 'The colors must never be

struck.'" He looked at Picard. "So, again I ask, what does it mean

to 'strike the colors'?"

"In those days," Picard said, "a ship would fly flags on its

mast to show its allegiance. These flags were called 'colors.' To

strike the colors meant to raise the flag. That, at the time, was the

international sign for surrender."

"I see," Thrawn said. "So his final order was to never

surrender?"

"Yes," Picard answered, "the battle was too important. Burrows

knew that a defeat there would be a stepping stone for a total

invasion of the United States, and his country would be no more. For

him, that would have been the end of the world."

Thrawn nodded. "Yes, or course, sometimes sacrifices must be

made, to keep our worlds from ending." He seemed to ponder this.

"I've just received word from Coruscant," he said, shifting the

topical winds in a way that would no doubt impress William Burrows.

"The negotiations are nearing completion. One of the conditions is an

exchange of technology schematics." He reached over and pulled a

datapad out of a small case by his chair. "These will provide you

with information about the basics of many of our technologies."

Picard reached out and took it, wondering just what was

waiting for them in the electronic archive of the device. The

hyperdrive alone ensured that the galaxy would never be the same

again, how else would it change once these secrets were revealed?

"I'll have a similar collection of information prepared immediately,"

Picard told Thrawn.

Thrawn leaned forward towards Picard. "I'd like something in

particular, if you would be willing," he remarked. He looked at

Picard's face and smiled slightly, "Nothing remarkable. It is my

understanding that you and those who live in your part of the galaxy

use a different communications technology from ours. I'd be very

interested in seeing how it works."

Picard considered. "Subspace communication technology; that

won't be a problem. I'll make sure it's included in the report."

Thrawn nodded his head slightly. "Thank you captain."

With that, Picard turned to leave, just as the door opened, he

heard Thrawn call to him, "Captain." Picard turned back to the

admiral. "I look forward to working with you and the Federation. I

predict great things will come from this."

"As do I, admiral," Picard replied, and turned and left.

Moments later he was transported back to the Enterprise, his

excitement almost palpable. "Commander," he called as he entered the

bridge, "prepare a report for Admiral Thrawn on general Federation

technology. Have Mr. LaForge assist you. Make sure to include

detailed information on subspace communication technology."

"Sir?" Riker asked with some concern.

"There's been a breakthrough in the negotiations. We're

sharing basic information with our new ally. They have already given

us their technological report as a show of good faith."

Riker seemed momentarily hesitant, but he'd made his concerns

known repeatedly; doing so now, on the bridge, wouldn't be

appropriate. He nodded and set to work. "Data, Seven," Picard said,

"I want you two to go over this information. Memorize it, try to

understand as much as you can. I want daily reports on what you've

learned. This is your top priority."

"Understood, captain," Data said taking the datapad. He

nodded to Seven and the two walked off the bridge. Picard turned and

looked at the star destroyer on the viewscreen. "What strange new

world that has such people in it," he quoted.

Taar slowly opened his eyes and saw hyperspace swirling in

front of him. Quickly he leaned forward and hit the controls to bring

him back into real space. He glanced at the display; five hundred

light-years, in the wrong direction no less. It'd take the better

part of a day to make it back to Base One. But he was alive, and for

the moment, safe from the Borg. That's what counted. He punched in

the coordinates and returned to hyperspace, this time going the right

way. He wished he could send out a warning to them, but it was too

dangerous to give away his position. Besides, Base One had to have

heard about what had happened, and even that idiot aide would be smart

enough to call in some reinforcements.

With the ship on autopilot, Taar got up and tried to assess

the damage. Anything that wasn't nailed down had been sucked out

during the decompression, including the pilot. Taar really didn't

feel sorry for him, and it was certainly no great loss to the Empire.

Thankfully the equipment lockers had remained sealed, and he managed

to find some emergency rations. The low quality of field rations is a

universal constant, but Taar gorged himself on them as if it were

roast nerf with drippings. Finally, his physical needs tended to, he

began looking at the condition of the ship itself. Some damage had

been done to the ramp obviously, but it was still holding itself

together. If worse came to worse, he could always use a plasma torch

to cut through the viewplate in order to get out. The engines,

however, had been put under an even heavier strain during his escape.

The stress had caused some damage to the hyperdrive motivator, a

pretty serious problem considering he was flying through Borg space.

If he should be forced back into real space and run into even a single

cube, he'd have no hope. The weapons of this shuttle just aren't

strong enough to do any real damage, he thought. If they show up....

If they showed up, he'd follow Admiral Piett's example. Hopefully it

wouldn't come to that. In the meantime, he had a pretty long journey

ahead, so he settled back for some rest. It would be nice to be

unconscious voluntarily for a change, he thought as he stretched out

on the bunk and closed his eyes. Again, visions of dying Borg filled

his mind, and the twinges of a smile could be seen on his face.

The planet of Cordis hung against the backdrop of space, its

green surface flecked with streaks of brown, tapering to a pale blue

at its poles. Its reflected brightness, in contrast to the dotted

blackness of space, revealed a beauty that was both subtle and simple.

An ancient Caamasi poet once said that worlds are the jewels of space,

that even the most foul planet gained an elegance and sense of peace

that, for better or worse, it was a sanctuary. Unfortunately, peace,

beauty and sanctuary have no meaning to those who now approached the

calm world of Cordis. "Approaching planet in Grid 1092 of Unimatrix

02 prime, settlement of species 11035. Estimated population:

approximately 97,000,000. Scanning..." The four cubes hung over the

world. "Current population: 218,641. Commencing assimilation."

Grand Admiral Thrawn, having observed the effectiveness of the

Borg first hand, had recommended the Cordisi evacuate the world before

Piett had even arrived. Of course, there were always the brave,

foolish, stubborn, or just unlucky. They were there to hear the

message that broadcast on every frequency across the planet. "We are

the Borg. You will be assimilated. Your culture will adapt to

service us. Resistance is futile."

The Cordisi were a short species with a hardened exoskeleton

covered with thick hairs, and a long history of combat. Many of those

that stayed behind were members of combat orders that had passed down

their knowledge for ten thousand generations, and considered it an

unacceptable sin not to fight to defend their world to the bitter end.

They prepared traps and set up choke points, made contingency plans

for breaches. It was unfortunate, then, that the Borg didn't fight

that way, because perhaps then they might have had even a small

chance.

A beam lanced out from the cube in orbit over the city of

Ch'suvic and began ripping it apart. The Cordisi weren't sure how to

react when the pieces were scooped up and pulled into space. Someone

had found the controls to an old planetary ion cannon and blasted at

the cube. After a few shots, a green torpedo descended and struck the

facility, wiping out the complex while causing minimal damage to the

surrounding area. That was the most efficient.

The Cordisi drawn into the cubes were quickly disoriented and

captured. Some still attempted to resist even on board the cube, but

the approaching Borg overwhelmed them by sheer force of numbers. Just

hours after their arrival, the planet of Cordis had been stripped of

all technology and its entire sentient population. They were now one

with the Borg. The cubes departed, moving on towards the next target

for assimilation.

"Captain, the Incaciad is hailing us," said Lt. Travis.

"Onscreen," Picard ordered. Immediately the image of Admiral

Thrawn appeared, a thin smile on his face.

"Captain Picard," Thrawn said in a formal tone, "it is my

great pleasure to inform you that the negotiations have been a

success. As of thirty minutes ago, the Galactic Empire and the

Federation officially became military allies."

"That's good news admiral," Picard replied, trying to contain

his own excitement. The moment was finally here, he thought. Military

alliance, sure, but that was just getting the foot in the door. A

grand future for the Federation was beginning at this very moment, and

he and his crew had been an instrumental part of it. "How will we be

proceeding?"

"Some of the diplomatic party you brought will remain behind

on Imperial Center as the Federation ambassadors," Thrawn explained.

"The rest will be rendezvousing with us in five days. Also, the

ambassadors to the Federation from the Empire will be arriving with

them. Once they've all arrived, my ships will escort you to the

wormhole, and from there you can take them back to Earth."

"Very good," Picard replied, "Then, if there's nothing else,

admiral?"

"We'll contact you, should it be necessary," was Thrawn's only

reply. The screen then went blank.

Riker turned to his captain, "Well, it seems our mission has

been a success." Riker's tone was completely devoid of any irony;

either he'd come around or decided to keep his opinions on the Empire

to himself from now on.

"Indeed, Number One," Picard responded in good humor.

"Commander, I think this particular mission I have in mind will

require your expert talents."

"What do you mean sir?"

"I think that this is a cause for a celebration, don't you?"

Riker grinned, "Of course, sir. I'll use all my Starfleet

training, sir."

"Oh I hope not," Picard replied, "I was hoping for something

interesting for a change."

A small alarm went off on the control panel for the shuttle,

signaling that Taar was finally almost there, and safe. As the

countdown completed the ship slipped from hyperspace into real space

just twenty thousand kilometers from the station...or rather, where

the station was.

Taar's mouth fell open in disbelief. It was the Borg; they

must have learned where Base One was from the assimilated soldiers,

and now the station was next. He pounded the console; I should have

warned them, he chided himself. One man wasn't worth the risk!

Finally, reason overcame guilt. Okay, he hadn't warned Base

One in time, but this was obviously just a Borg stepping stone. He

had to get through the wormhole and warn the Empire before the Borg

swarmed over their galaxy. He pushed the battered engines to the

limit; it didn't matter if his ship died on the other side of the

wormhole, so long as he could get a message through.

Taar's stomach sank as he saw three of the cubes alter course

to intercept him. They were too fast; he'd never make it to the

wormhole... at least, not using the sublight engines. A microjump for

a ship like this, especially after all they'd been put through, was

stupid, but the sight of those Borg cubes enter tractor range made up

his mind. His hands flew over the controls and he yanked back on the

lever; just as the Borg cube's beam reached for his ship it shot

forward and disappeared.

Unfortunately, the damaged motivator wasn't up to the task,

and the ship flew at lightspeed right into the wormhole. The swirling

tunnel of hyperspace turned from a milky white to a smear of purple,

and then a violent red. It was the most unpleasant sensation of

Taar's sad little life, his body feeling forces acting on it evolution

had never had in mind. The "sky" outside churned and heaved like a

living organ trying to expel the tiny shuttle back to where it

belongs. There was the squeal of machinery going beyond design

limits, and the hyperdrive collapsed in on itself, dropping ship and

pilot back into real space. The ordeal made him want to curl up into

a fetal position and throw up for a while, but regardless of how he

felt he still had to give that warning, so he looked at the read-outs.

The sublight engines weren't functioning, the stabilizers weren't

operational and, oh, the remnants of the hyperdrive were actually on

fire, Taar thought in a detached sort of way. As the sound of the

sprays coming on filled the ship, Taar tried to figure out where he

was. No sign of Borg, he thought with some relief, which probably

meant he'd made it through the wormhole. He added this maneuver to

the list of things to never, ever, do again, and started checking over

the rest of the ship.

Most of the panels were off-line, including, he noted with

frustration, the communications array. Fortunately, he still had the

shuttle's emergency homing beacon, assuming he was even in the right

galaxy for the Empire to pick him up. But, like so many other things

on this trip, it was his only option. He didn't have the kind of

training to fix this, and even if he did, he doubted he even had the

right tools, what with everything being sucked out of the shuttle. He

activated the homing beacon, sat back, and waited. Just to be safe,

he gripped the small holdout blaster he'd found in an equipment

locker. "Hopefully it wouldn't come to that," he thought again, but

then thought, "only if my luck changes."

Talon Karrde was shaken awake by Roolith. "What is it?" he

groaned. He'd been up the previous thirty-six hours and was really

hoping to grab some kind of sleep before they hit the main trade

route. You had to be careful even out here on the rim; the Empire was

a lot swifter with their "justice" then they tended to be in the core.

"I think you'll want to hear this, Karrde," Roolith said,

flipping the comm switch. The voice was deafening.

"We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ship.

You will be assimilated; resistance is futile."

"What the hell was that?" Karrde demanded. He activated the

panel nearby, and two cube-shaped ships appeared; the scale made his

jaw drop. "What do you say we get out of here," he said, hopping out

of his cabin.

"I think the crew will back you up on that, Talon," Roolith

said, following him. Karrde paused as he saw the ships through the

viewscreen, and he wondered if his luck had finally run out.

CHAPTER IX.

Two days after the alliance had become official, Picard and

Seven were escorted aboard the Incaciad to meet with Admiral Thrawn in

person. No one had said why, but there was a grim atmosphere that was

impossible to ignore. The armored personnel, whom Picard had learned

were called "stormtroopers" -bringing up some rather nasty images from

his studies of the twentieth century- led him to the conference room

where Thrawn and several other high-ranking officers were waiting.

Thrawn motioned Picard and Seven to take a seat.

"I'm afraid we have some rather unpleasant business to

discuss," Thrawn began. "As you may or may not have known, the Empire

has been at war with the Borg for over a month now."

"Yes," Picard said, his voice even, "we noticed Borg weapon

signatures on one of your ships when we first arrived. We'd been

waiting to hear what exactly was going on."

Thrawn sighed and continued. "We sent a fleet of ships in to

deal with the Borg, to cause them some damage and show them we weren't

to be trifled with. Unfortunately, according to Lt. Taar," he nodded

in the direction of the scruffy looking gentlemen across the table

from Picard, "it seems we underestimated them. The Borg have defeated

our forces and assimilated our people."

Picard leaned forward in his chair, his mouth open in shock.

The Borg with Imperial technology, he thought. That was the worst

possible scenario he could imagine. "How did this happen?" Lt. Taar

went over what he had seen of the climactic battle between the Borg

and the Imperial fleet, of its annihilation, his near capture, and his

witnessing the destruction of Base One.

"Admiral Piett made a fatal error," Thrawn said. "He moved

the entire fleet in to bombard the planet, when the task could have

been completed by a single star destroyer. That led to their being

trapped."

Picard looked to Seven, his confusion evident. "The

hyperdrive can't be activated near a large gravitational field," she

explained. "I would surmise that the fleet was unable to activate the

drive and escape, and was then assimilated."

"Correct," Thrawn said. "And immediately they knew all that

we do, that's why they took over Base One."

"Yes, it seems your little war has backfired," Picard

commented despite himself. However much he wanted this alliance,

mixing things up with the Borg was always the last thing he wanted to

do.

"Our little war," Thrawn replied, "remember, we're allies

now."

"Yes, we will assist in whatever way we can," Picard added

diplomatically.

"Good, that's why I asked you to come to this meeting. We

need to know some things about the Borg."

Picard nodded slowly. "You mean our first hand experience as

Borg."

"Yes," Thrawn said. "We have tactical data. What we need is

someone with your unique experience. You two were both assimilated by

the Collective. You should be able to give me some insight into their

ways of thinking."

Picard let out an exasperated sigh. "I don't really know..."

"What do you wish to know?" Seven asked.

"The Borg have had access to much of our military technology,"

Thrawn said. "I've no doubt they've learned to use our hyperdrive for

certain, which means that their speed and range will be greater than

what it has been in the past. What I want to know is, will they come

through the wormhole, or continue to conquer in their own galaxy?"

Seven considered for a moment. "Did the members of your

personnel who were assimilated know of our involvement with you?"

Thrawn looked over at the man identified as Lt. Taar. "I

didn't know," Taar said. "But I can't speak for the senior officers."

"In either event," Picard said, "the personnel on the space

station, Base One, knew of our arrival. If the Borg assimilated them,

they'd know of our involvement."

Seven considered it all for a short time. "There is a small

possibility the Borg may attempt to assimilate the Federation since

the Borg know they possess similar technology." Seven paused for a

few seconds. "However, the most likely course of action would be to

come through the wormhole. They would perceive the Empire as an

immediate threat and attempt assimilation and/or extermination."

Quite the diplomat, Picard thought. "We'll have to warn

Starfleet," he said.

Thrawn shook his head while he thought. "Unwise captain. If

the Borg were planning on invading our galaxy they'd mass a fleet of

cubes on the other side, you'd never get through to reach them, and

your communications would take years to get to Earth."

"I understand the risks," Picard said. "But it's my duty to

warn the Federation of any threat, especially one from the Borg."

"I can't risk losing your ship, captain," Thrawn said. "You

and your people have been at this longer than we have-"

"Yes, which is why I've no interest in seeing us lose now,"

Picard said sharply. "All thanks to a war you started."

Thrawn leaned forward towards Picard. "We have lost ten star

destroyers, a space station, hundreds of thousands of lives, and our

greatest ship against an enemy that you introduced us to. If not for

the Federation, there would have been no war."

Picard paused. "My apologies, admiral. You're right, of

course. What do you propose?"

Thrawn signaled several of his aides, who got up and began

walking out. "I've had thirty Imperial Dreadnaughts on standby in

case of such an event. They'll be arriving here in twelve hours. I've

already evacuated Napuli, Cordis, Trelam, and issued warnings to all

systems within five hundred light-years. We'll be expecting

reinforcements from throughout the galaxy should a total invasion

begin. I'm also planning on speaking with the Emperor directly on

this."

"Are you planning to blockade the wormhole?"

"No," Thrawn said. "That would be a waste of resources in a

fruitless effort. The Borg will overrun us, assimilate the system

anyway, and then proceed to attack the rest of the galaxy, and that's

assuming they haven't already passed through the wormhole. No

captain, our best course of action is to remain here and await

reinforcements to ensure our victory. Now, if you'll excuse me,

captain, I have to speak with the Emperor."

Picard and Seven were escorted back to the shuttle. The

Incaciad had their shields up all the time now; now it was obvious

that it was in case the Borg returned. Seven took the controls,

Picard lounged back in thought. "What chance does the Federation

have?" he asked quietly.

"None, captain," Seven said. "The Borg's first failure was in

failing to consider that you may infiltrate non-critical systems yet

cause a critical failure. The second was assuming that since that was

the sole cause of their initial failure, that simply sending a cube

and avoiding such infiltration was all that was required. If the Borg

come again, it will be in superior numbers, captain, and even if the

Federation does succeed, the hyperdrive will allow the next wave to

come before you can recover from the first. If the Borg choose to

assimilate the Federation, warning or no, they cannot be stopped."

Picard tried to ignore the tightness in his chest, but it

wasn't easy. "How could they have done this so quickly?" he mused.

"It took Starfleet weeks to determine how to set up the hyperdrive,

and that was with one already integrated into our ships."

"They are Borg," Seven said, as if it said all. Sadly, it

did.

"How would you feel if Earth was assimilated?" Picard asked.

Seven looked over at him with that penetrating gaze of hers.

"I assume that question is intended to determine where my loyalties

lie."

"It would make me feel better to know you have a personal

stake in it," Picard said. Seven opened her mouth to reply, then

turned away. "I assume you don't."

"I- I had spent over two years with Voyager," Seven said

finally, still not looking at him. "Were the Borg to invade, they

would no doubt be part of those forced to defend Earth. It would

be... unpleasant to learn that any of them had been assimilated."

"So you do care, at least about them."

"I would not wish to see harm come to them," Seven said. "If

I may, captain, I find this conversation uncomfortable, and wish to

terminate it."

"Very well," Picard said, putting the information aside for

later consideration. He was wondering if there was more to his

advisor than her appearance suggested.

A large gathering had formed in the recreation area on board

Home One. Occasionally, a whispered comment was made, followed by

several noises for quiet. The rebels looked carefully at both sides,

trying to guess who would make the wrong move, and who would take

advantage of the other's momentary weakness.

Han slowly looked back from his hand to the man across the

table. Lando's face betrayed nothing, and the smuggler slowly removed

a card from his hand and placed it beneath the deck, replacing it with

one from the top. Now it was Lando's turn to consider his options.

Finally, he reached forward and drew a card off the top of the deck.

Leia, slowly slid through the crowd to get a good look at the

two men; gamblers, scoundrels, heroes. She shifted over by Wedge, who

had been forced out of the match by a bomb out. Han looked over at

Lando and gave a slight nod, and they both took two card from their

hands and placed them face up on the table. Curious, Leia whispered

to Wedge "What are they doing?" Very quietly, he replied,

"Mandolarian variant. No shifting, and you have to slowly reveal and

commit your hand." Looking back, she saw things were getting even

more interesting. Lando had laid the mistress of coins and the one of

staves, a rather gutsy move, committing him to a rather low card later

on. Han, however, surprised all with a two of staves and the idiot.

All he needed was the three of any suit for the idiot's array, the

highest possible sabacc hand. Acknowledging each other's hands, they

dropped more credits into the pots.

You could actually hear the sound of the cards sliding off the

deck as the game continued. Han continued to replace cards in his

hand, waiting for that game clinching three, while Lando steadily

continued, soon dropping a four of coins. Both men drew one more

card, and Lando announced that he was finished. Triumphantly, he

placed his final card: the five of sabers. A few gasps of surprise

were heard as they counted them up: a perfect sabacc. Lando had this

hand clinched, unless Han held a three.

Slowly Han reached out and placed his card on the bottom of

the deck. His fingers stopped just as he reached for the top card.

"I'll give you one chance to back out right now," he said to Lando.

Lando remained stone-faced, and Han shrugged to the crowd and

confidently flipped the top card onto the table. The crowd stared in

utter surprise. Han smiled and looked down at the card and then at

Lando, and then quickly back at the cards again. The queen of air and

darkness, giving Han a score of zero, which not only cost him the

match, but meant he had to double the value of the pot. Leia tried

not to laugh as Han looked back between his cards and Lando and his

cards again. As the crowd dispersed Han picked up the deck. "Are

there any threes in here," he mumbled, shuffling through the pile

while Lando laughed.

"Nice try," Lando said, looking through the pot, "That's quite

a sum you owe. Maybe I should just take your ship."

"Sure, no problem," Han said as he continued his quest for a

three, "would you like me to throw in my Wookiee too?" A growl from

nearby answered him. "Take it easy, Chewie, I'm only kidding."

Disgusted, he tossed the deck back on the table. "This isn't over

yet."

"Of course not," Lando said, "I don't have my money."

"Not to interrupt this display of respectability and

selflessness," Leia said, "but you're both needed at an important

meeting." Leia hadn't oversold it; Mon Mothma, Admiral Ackbar,

General Madine, and General Riekken were all on hand, and no one else.

This must have been something pretty big.

"I'm afraid that things in the Napuli System have gotten out

of hand," Mon Mothma said in a rather worried tone. "It seems the

aliens called the Borg have invaded our galaxy."

"We're sure about this?" Han asked.

General Madine spoke up. "One of my agents spoke with a Talon

Karrde; he encountered the Borg on his way back from a smuggling run

to Trelam II. The sensor data he provided confirms that it is the

Borg."

"Oh... great," Han said darkly.

"I want you all to appreciate the significance of this," Mon

Mothma said. "Not only did they overwhelm Lord Vader's hand-picked

fleet of star destroyers and the Executor, they destroyed an Imperial

battlestation that guards the wormhole. They are a grave threat."

"According to our sources," General Madine said, "the Empire

is massing a fleet of starships to attempt to destroy the Borg in one

stroke. They won't be in place for at least a week."

"Have we made our decision?" Lando asked. "Are we joining

forces with the Empire to fight the Borg?"

"Not at this time," Mon Mothma answered. "Though if they seem

to be overwhelming the Imperial fleet we may be forced into that

position. We cannot allow our worlds to be overrun by these

invaders."

Admiral Ackbar spoke up at this point. "There is, however, an

opportunity here that we could take advantage of. With the

battlestation out of the way there are no Imperial forces to stop us

from using the wormhole to go to the other galaxy."

"Well, yeah," Han said, "and with good reason. These Borg are

probably all over the system."

"Yes, but they're not concerned with guarding the wormhole,"

Mon Mothma said. "They more than likely are expecting an attack by

the Imperial fleet, not an attempt to sneak past them and into the

other galaxy. With surprise on our side and a little planning, we

should be able to get through the wormhole safely."

"Why would we want to go there?" Han asked. "What's so

important on the other side?"

General Madine hesitated, but spoke up. "We don't know.

That's why we need people to go there, to find out what the Empire is

involved in. There's got to be more to this galaxy than the

Federation and the Borg. We could find new allies, or at least those

who can tell us more about our new enemies."

General Riekken finally began speaking. "I've been asked to

organize the effort to establish a small base in the other galaxy.

Work's already begun on that, but what we'll also need in large

amounts are courage and," he floundered slightly, "your unique

talents."

Lando and Han looked at one another and back at the general.

"Look," Han said, "I'm willing to put my neck on the line, but I want

to know it's for a good reason."

"You volunteered for the Endor shield mission," Mon Mothma

pointed out. "That was a far greater risk than this."

Leia looked with some surprise at Han, but he pretended not to

notice. "Yeah, a risk, but a risk that could've ended this war in one

fell swoop. I don't mind risking my life for that, but risking it by

running past cyborgs and heading for the unknown just for the sake of

reconnaissance, that seems a little unnecessary."

"General Solo, if you don't want to go..." Mon Mothma began.

"I'm not saying that," Han insisted, "I'm just saying if we're

going to do this, we better do it right and we better be doing it for

a good reason. We'll be splitting up our forces, we'll be risking our

people, our resources..."

"We've considered this, Solo," Ackbar said, "and we've decided

it's worth the effort."

"Fine," Lando said, "so who's all going?"

"You and General Solo will be responsible for information

gathering," Riekken said. "Her highness," he nodded, indicating Leia,

"will be responsible for diplomacy, should it be necessary. Commander

Antilles will be responsible for fighter co-ordination, and Colonel

Derlin will be responsible for base security. I'll be in command of

the overall mission."

"Fine, when do we leave?" Han asked.

"Five days. That should give us plenty of time to get

everything assembled, and still beat the Imperials to the wormhole."

"The Empire's a piece of cake," Lando said. "It's the Borg

we've got to worry about."

The Emperor looked with some distaste at Thrawn as he appeared

in the hologram. He would have been such a great leader if he weren't

so....alien. "What is it, admiral?"

"It seems Piett and his fleet have failed, my lord," Thrawn

said. "He failed to follow instructions, and now he and all our

Imperial forces in the Milky Way have been either destroyed or

assimilated."

The Emperor felt his anger swelling, both at the situation,

and Thrawn's indirect implication that the Emperor's decision was

responsible. "How could this have happened?" Thrawn began to

explain, but the Emperor stopped him. "Nevermind! What have you done

to resolve this?"

"For the moment, I've activated our reserve forces," Thrawn

said. "But I don't believe it will be enough. Without greater

support, we may not succed..." Thrawn looked away for a few seconds.

"Apologies, your highness, it seems the Borg have arrived. They're on

a direct course for-"

Suddenly Thrawn's image vanished, and in its place stood a

large cybernetic being. The Emperor looked at it with disgust at

first, then recognized the face beneath the implants. Captain

Lennox?! The Emperor knew he was part of Vader's fleet; rather

independent thinker but an effective leader. "I speak for the Borg,"

the hologram said. "We have come to bring you perfection. Your

biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own.

Your culture will..."

The captain's neck began to twitch and convulse and he stopped

speaking. His neck began to visibly contract and finally, the man who

once was Captain Lennox fell out of range of the holotransmitter, the

sound of cracking trachea indicating death. The Emperor released his

grip as the image of Admiral Thrawn returned.

"What are your orders, my lord?"

Hatred burned through the Emperor at the gall of these aliens

to invade his domain. "Your orders, admiral," his voice just above a

whisper, "are to wipe the Borg from the face of the galaxy!"

CHAPTER X.

"We've got it sealed. You're clear to depart."

"Thank you," Han said, trying to keep the sarcasm out of his

voice. They'd spent the better part of an hour waiting to depart

while a mechanic tried to disconnect the Falcon from the freighter,

some kind of ruptured sealant hose. Han resisted the urge to punch it

and eased easily out of the main fleet to rendezvous with the "orphan

fleet" as it had been nicknamed. Leia took a seat in one of the nav

computer chairs while they closed in. Han had to admit that he was

rather impressed. The Alliance had committed a full eight squadrons

of fighters, a dozen Corvettes, nineteen transports, eight freighters,

and even two Star Cruisers to this mission. He saw X-wings, A-wings,

B-wings, even a squadron of the older Y-wings, all prepared for the

journey where there be dragons, Borg-shaped dragons, anyway.

"Riekken's not using any half-measures, huh?" Han remarked to Leia.

A Trilon Aggressor slipped over to the Falcon's port. "Here I

thought you were having second thoughts," Lando chided him over the

comm.

Han scowled at the comm. "There was a little mechanical

trouble, not a big deal."

Lando's laugh could be heard over the comm. "Han, did you

crash into a mirror warehouse? Your luck is downright abysmal."

Han ignored him and made some course corrections. He turned

as he felt Leia tap his shoulder. She was holding up a small pair of

dice on a string. "I found these in a maintenance locker," she said

as she handed them to Han. "I guess one of the engineers took them

down when he was repairing something on Yavin and forgot to put them

back."

Han looked at them for a moment and then gave Leia a lopsided

grin. He turned and fastened them to their old place above the

cockpit viewport, then keyed the comm. "I have a feeling my luck is

about to get a whole lot better," he said looking towards Leia, who

smiled at him.

"I hope so," Lando replied, "cause you still owe me three

hundred credits." There was silence for a few moments. "Be careful,

these Borg sound pretty nasty."

"Hey," Han said, trying to raise the mood, "it's me." And on

General Riekken's signal, the fleet slipped off into hyperspace.

Picard finished looking over the communication from the

Imperials as the turbolift pulled to a halt. The words took his

breath away. He realized he was still standing there and stepped out.

"What's the status of our defenses, Number One?" he asked, trying to

keep his mind focused in a productive direction.

Riker broke off his conversation with Lt. Travis. "We've

programmed a random series of modulations into the shields which

should be somewhat resistant to the Borg. All torpedo bays have been

prepped for a full confrontation, we've run a level three diagnostic

on all weapons systems. Mr. LaForge has made some modifications which

will increase warp core output by eleven percent, but we'll have to

double our maintenance checks and need to power down in a few days to

do some stress repairs, but every watt will help." Picard nodded.

"Lt. Travis and I were also discussing the possibility of using the

shuttlecrafts to fly close to the cube and transport explosives onto

key parts of the Borg cube."

"There are no key parts," Picard said, "no weak spots to

exploit." He sighed slightly. "People call the Borg a hive, but they

are more like a hydra, cut off one head, and there's another waiting

for you." He stood in silence for a moment. "Perhaps resistance

really is futile," he said under his breath.

Riker stood quietly for some time. Finally he spoke.

"Captain, I'd like to discuss something in your ready room."

As the door closed Picard spoke to Riker. "So, tell me what

is so important?"

"Permission to speak freely, sir?"

"If this is about the Empire, Will, this is a bad ti-"

"It's not about the Empire, sir, it's about you." Riker

hesitated. "Captain, you've just so much admitted that we can't

defeat the Borg. Right now, on that bridge."

Picard slowly eased into his chair. "Your point?" he asked

coolly.

Riker stood in stunned silence. "All I know is that the

Captain Picard I trained under never shared his doubts with the crew,"

Riker said, leaning forward on the table. "The Captain Picard I know

would never consider that his crew would fail."

"I'm not saying this crew will fail," Picard said much louder

than necessary. He quickly shifted his view away from Riker. "But

what is the point, Will? Even if we do defeat them, what then? They

will come again, and again, and again, and eventually they will wear

us down and we will lose." He sighed. "I'm sorry. The report from

the Empire indicates the Borg have eighty-seven cubes here. I think

of that, and then I reflect on my conversation with Seven, about how

with hyperdrive the Borg are now living on our doorstep... it's opened

my eyes to just how dangerous the situation is. We've been living on

borrowed time, Will, and we went about our business as if we would

always outsmart the Borg, always know just what to do. We've been

lucky, twice, and yet we act as if our victory is assured."

"We have prepared ourselves, Jean-luc, as best as we possibly

can," Riker said.

"Did we?"

"And be true to what we are?" Will asked. "Absolutely, sir.

If we'd let panic influence our judgment, we'd have stopped being the

Federation and started being the Dominion."

Picard nodded. "That's why you have a problem with our

mission... with the Empire."

Riker paused. "It's not just that," he said. "These

transmissions we've received, word of the rebellion, I'm not sure

we're on the right side here, sir."

Picard folded his hands and leaned towards him. "I've heard

some of those transmissions. I'll admit that some are disturbing.

There's this one here," Picard pulled out a PADD, "yes, a report of

warships bombarding a defenseless settlement to try and placate the

entire region. The order came all the way from the top."

"As I said, sir, there's reason for concern."

"Oh, wait," Picard said, "I'm mistaken. This is a broadcast

made by the Maquis three years ago about the Federation." He flicked

his eyes up at Will. "Did we, in fact, bombard defenseless Maquis

settlements?"

"Sir, I just-"

"I understand, Will," Picard said, "and I do take this very

seriously. But I think we have to look at the situation objectively.

So far all our involvements with the Empire have shown that they are

reasonable beings. They've made no gestures of hostility towards us,

and we both know that with their speed and firepower they could

overwhelm the Federation almost as quickly as the Borg can."

"Why bother, when they can acquire the Federation without

firing a shot?" Riker held up his hands in a placating gesture. "I

know I wasn't the biggest fan of the Empire before, but these

transmissions concern me. First it was the Republic, now it's the

Empire. That doesn't strike me as being an improvement."

"Come on, Will," Picard said. "You know that between the

British Empire and the People's Republic of China, it was the empire

that was the more free and tolerant civilization. They're just words,

Will."

"And the rebellion?" Riker asked.

"The rebellion," Picard said sharply, "is by definition not

our problem. The prime directive is crystal clear on that. We cannot

involve ourselves in the internal affairs of the Empire, and that

includes their rebel forces. Now I promise you that when this is

settled we'll look hard at the situation, but right now we have the

deadliest Borg fleet ever assembled within spitting distance of us,

and I'd rather focus our energies on our enemy rather than our ally,

thank you. That will be all."

Riker's frustration was obvious, but he nodded and showed

himself out. Picard turned back to his report, then shook his head

again. Eighty-seven... if every power in the alpha quadrant united,

could they stop even a tenth of that number? Love them or hate them,

Will, he thought, we need the Empire in the frightening place the

galaxy had become.

Delric Taar had spent most of his time since his rescue being

debriefed, but thankfully he'd finally had a chance to clean up and

get some real sleep. It had done wonders for his constitution, and

he'd needed it. The grand admiral wanted Taar to fully update the

squadron commanders on the fighter tactics employed against the Borg,

and where they did and didn't work, and that had required a lot of

thought and energy, but his brush with death, and his thought of all

the dead or assimilated pilots, gave him more than adrenaline ever

could hope to accomplish.

Taar entered Thrawn's office; it was dark, and for a moment he

was worried he was disturbing something. Thrawn turned away from the

glow of a hologram and looked at him. "Yes, lieutenant?"

With proper military steps, Taar marched into the room and

held out the datapad. "The captain ordered me to present the fighter

reports to you personally, sir," he said. Thrawn reached out and took

the datapad; Taar stood at parade rest while he looked through it.

Thrawn's alien features looked even odder in the low light provided by

the hologram, but Taar had heard enough from the other officers to

know not to let that affect his thinking. Thrawn was top of the line,

or he wouldn't be here.

"Are we ready to launch an attack?" Thrawn asked, not looking

up from the datapad.

Taar hesitated. "The commanders have been briefed, but they

haven't had enough time to run battle simulations with their men, and

many of the tactics are still only theoretical."

Thrawn continued reading the datapad, apparently not

listening. "It's the area of space where we'll be launching our

attack in two days," he remarked. How had he known Taar was looking

it over out of the corner of his eye when he wasn't even looking?

"I've been positioning our fleet for an attack on the Borg there."

Thrawn smiled. "How does it look?"

Taar was silent for several moments. "Are you asking me my

opinion, sir?"

"Do you not understand what a question is, lieutenant?" Thrawn

replied.

Delric, you idiot! he thought. You say "it looks very good,

sir," and nod when told to. But he had the horrible habit of thinking

and not keeping his mouth shut when confronted with a bad idea. Well,

you're in this deep, stupid, might as well speak your mind. The worst

Thrawn could do was put you on the front line in the next battle.

"Well sir," he began, "it seems from this model that the attack is

rather two-dimensional in nature, when it would be more effective if

we made a sizeable attack along vectors here and here," he pointed at

various parts of the hologram. "Also, the Dreadnaughts are in a

position to take heavier damage than if they were intermixed with the

star destroyers here. Of course, that's just my opinion sir."

Thrawn chuckled quietly. "Yes, and your opinion is quite

correct, too... except for the part about the fleet coming from here,"

he paused, "clearly this would be the better approach vector

considering the motion of the fleet."

Taar hesitated; well, in for a penny, in for a pound.

"Actually, sir, wouldn't we run a greater risk of hitting our own

ships with friendly fire?"

Thrawn clapped his hands slightly. "Well done. You've

demonstrated a rather keen grasp of ...."

The comm buzzed and a voice sounded. "Admiral, Captain Picard

wishes to speak to you, he claims it's urgent."

Thrawn sighed. "Very well." The image of the space battle

flattened into a two dimensional image of the Enterprise bridge and

Captain Picard.

"Admiral Thrawn," Picard said, "our long range sensors have

detected a group of ships entering the Napuli System. We've

identified some Nebulon Frigates, but the rest are unfamiliar to us."

Taar looked at Thrawn with some surprise. "The rebels..." he

muttered.

Thrawn ignored him. "I'm aware of the ships, captain. You do

realize that we have sensors of our own."

"Of course," Picard replied, "but I was concerned that they

may need some assistance. That is the heart of Borg space in this

galaxy..."

Thrawn shook his head. "It's too soon. Everyone has been

warned to stay away; if the Borg catch them, then that's the price the

pay for underestimating them."

"I understand, admiral," Picard said, but he obviously wasn't

very happy about it. "Enterprise out."

Thrawn sighed again as the image disappeared. "One thing

you'll learn dealing with the Federation," he commented to Taar, "is

that they want to solve every problem in the universe, and they want

to do it right now. They're a society of idealistic children." Taar

said nothing; he'd had pretty much no experience with the Federation

and frankly could care less. The Borg were the only thing on his mind

lately. "I need someone with experience to have the pilots trained

and ready to fight the Borg in two days. Are you up to the task?"

Taar brought himself to full attention. "Absolutely. They'll

be ready, sir."

Thrawn replaced the hologram with an image of some type of

statue. "Very good, major. I suggest you get started immediately."

Taar saluted and walked out. A promotion and a chance for

vengeance on the Borg. This was his lucky day.

This is not my lucky day, thought Han.

The fleet had dropped out of hyperspace right on course, a

short distance from the wormhole. Unfortunately, so was a Borg cube.

"All fighters," came the orders from the Liberty, Riekken's flagship,

"provide cover for the transports." The rest was cut off by Leia and

Threepio as Han put the Falcon into a series of crazy maneuvers while

Borg weapons tried to catch them.

"We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is

futile."

"Confident bunch, aren't they," Han grunted putting the ship

through several evasive maneuvers.

"We're doomed!" Threepio moaned from the other navigator

chair.

"Don't start!" Han warned. He yanked the Falcon into another

tight turn as a nearby X-Wing was caught in a tractor beam, slowly

pulled towards the cube.

"We've just got to keep them distracted for another minute,"

Leia said.

"Yeah, well, a lot can happen to us in a minute," Han said

with a nervous edge in his voice as he turned some knobs above him.

The Falcon's lasers fired, but they stopped short of the cube. "Or

very very little," he said, jerking away as a Borg weapon struck a

nearby B-Wing. The Liberty was also running cover now, firing its

heavy guns at the cube, but it couldn't stay for long. It could beat

one cube without breaking a sweat, but every minute wasted trying to

engage it was another that allowed some of his friends to get closer.

Chewie suddenly growled something at Han. "What? Where?" Han asked

frantically. Chewie pointed and the Falcon came around, and Leia saw

the Trillon Agressor caught in the Borg tractor beam.

Luke, Lando's in trouble. Luke didn't hear it, but he heard

her words in his mind.

I'm on my way. "Hang on, Artoo," he sound out loud as pushed

the X-Wing to full throttle. He closed in, but Han was already there,

and two quick concussion missiles vaporized the tractor emitter. Luke

adjusted his course slightly and fired a few shots on the surface for

all the good it did. But the closer he got, the nagging sensation he

had was growing worse and worse, and he realized that what he'd

thought was worry was actually the sensation of the Borg. They felt

completely wrong. Each was unique, and yet each thought and acted as

one. It was like the optical illusion that could be a young woman or

an old hag depending on how you looked at it, and it was making his

head hurt.

The cube shook under a particularly devastating attack from

the star cruiser, and for a moment the many thoughts pulled together.

With so many thinking the same thing, it would have been impossible

for Luke not to pick up on it. "This is Commander Skywalker," Luke

said. "All available fighters, form up on me, Attack Pattern Delta."

The ships pulled away and formed a line behind Luke like a string of

pearls. Luke led the way around in a wide arc. "Arm your proton

torpedoes," he ordered. Got that, Leia?

Yeah, I got it. "Han, there's a weak spot in their defenses,"

Leia said. "Follow Luke in and fire your missiles."

Han's hands were flying over the controls. "How can you

possibly know that?" he asked. He saw Leia shift uncomfortably in her

seat. "Forget I said anything," he said, altering course. "I hope

you've got a good feeling about this." Luke's X-wing swooped in

first, firing his torpedoes and pulling up so the one behind him could

do the same. One pair wasn't enough to penetrate, but the endless

barrage opened the path for the ones near the back -including the

Falcon's missiles- to get through. They slammed into the opening in

the cube, and instantly explosions ripped through various parts of the

ship. Han looked stunned for a second as pulled up, then grinned.

"See, I told you," he said to Chewie, "no problems." Chewie barked a

reply. "So, who's the lucky one now, hey Lando?"

"Me," Lando replied, "lucky that you showed up. Thanks."

Han brought the Falcon around and headed towards the wormhole

with the rest of the fleet. "Let's hope we don't have to try this

again real soon, okay?" And with that, the orphan fleet left the

galaxy behind.

[End Act 1]

Also, some people need to understand that a book series written by a single author that is later turned into a movie series is something completely different than a movie series later turned into books by dozens of different authors.

Sith is a great Star Wars film, period. Its dialog and acting is no more hokey than any of the other movies. Unless you think Luke going "Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!" is somehow great acting or dialog.I think Sith is every bit as good as Empire.
I wouldn't go quite that far...but it's not too far off.
Even if you don't think it's as good as Empire, I think you could easily make an argument that it's the 2nd best of the movies.The battle between Obi Wan and Vader is epic. Full of pathos. Best fight in the entire series, IMO.
Not even close. Luke fighting the yeti was better. It was just a bunch of uninvolved actors going through motions in completely unbelievable situations. I mean unbelievable in a sense that I didn't believe the actors were doing what they were doing. It was artless, soulless CGI nonsense. Just people going through motions. Sith was the worst of the three. Almost everything out if Anakins mouth sucks.

Also, some people need to understand that a book series written by a single author that is later turned into a movie series is something completely different than a movie series later turned into books by dozens of different authors.
Dude, appreciate the effort, but your killing the thread with these 5 mile long posts. Please put around your text. Thanks.

'Insein said:
I know it's going to be treated as heresy, but if I were in charge, I'd simply remake the first movie. Worked for Star Trek. Worked for Spiderman. Just remake the first film with an all new cast, and modern special effects. Maybe cast Josh Holloway from Lost as Han Solo.
There's a difference between Star Trek and Star Wars. Star Trek was a tv show first. Its existential experience for the fans was through the show. The movies by and large were hit and miss for Star Trek. Star Trek the Motion Picture (Star Trek 1) is a god awful mess. You also have the fact that they have had 4 tv series since then with a new cast of characters in the same universe. By the time we got the revisioned original cast, Star Trek fans were well accustomed to new people in the roles. Star Wars was a movie experience and the original films are like sacred documents of a religion that cannot be changed or rewritten. Fans would not be as open to redoing the original movie because they have been ingrained into the hearts and minds of all the fans with no variations. The books of the EU use the original actors likenesses for their covers. When people say Han, Leia and Luke, they see the young Harrison Ford, Carrie Fischer and Mark Hamill. Replacing them with new people would not work because fans have an idea of what these characters are supposed to look like.
True, there isn't agreement that the Special Edition versions of the first 3 movies are better. And then there is the whole "Han shot first." beef. Chris Pine played a younger version of Kirk. Doing that seems to be more widely accepted by fans. Would Star Trek fans welcome the original series being re-booted like BSG and Dr. Who? I think it would be heavily resisted. Would they ever re-make "Wrath of Kahn"? That movie is great as is, can't see updated effects improving it.Then again, with Star Wars, Han Solo seems to be the only one that people will have a difficult time with someone else in that role other than Harrison Ford. It would be like having someone else take over as Indiana Jones. I'm not as attached to Mark Hamil as Luke. Even if James Earl Jones died, Vader's voice could be done electronically or someone can probably imitate the voice.I think the best thing would be to get the Star Wars audience to develop an attachment to new characters.

Dude, appreciate the effort, but your killing the thread with these 5 mile long posts. Please put
around your text. Thanks.

:yes:
'BigSteelThrill said:
'bentley said:
Also, I've got a few more chapters to post tonight. Hold on to your butts.
use the spoiler tags please. ty

Dude, appreciate the effort, but your killing the thread with these 5 mile long posts. Please put
around your text. Thanks.

:goodposting:Plus try to work in an Ewok & Wookie mating.

"Apologies, your highness, it seems the Borg have arrived. They're on a direct course for-" Suddenly Thrawn's image vanished, and in its place stood a large cybernetic being. The Emperor looked at it with disgust at first, then recognized the face beneath the implants. Captain Lennox?! The Emperor knew he was part of Vader's fleet; rather independent thinker but an effective leader. "I speak for the Borg," the hologram said. "We have come to bring you perfection. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Your culture will..." The captain's neck began to twitch and convulse and he stopped speaking. His neck began to visibly contract and finally, the man who once was Captain Lennox fell out of range of the holotransmitter, the sound of cracking trachea indicating death. The Emperor released his grip as the image of Admiral Thrawn returned. "What are your orders, my lord?"
:thumbup:

Yah, seems like all the rumor sites are all jumping on the Matthew Vaughn rumor. All it takes is one "source" and website to report it and that seems to be how this rumor is spreading but I think he would be a good choice as director. I don't think a ton of people have seen Stardust but I thought it was great and you can see how some of that could translate to Star Wars. Vaughn also has shown he can direct some dark violence with Layer Cake but I don't think he will be given free range to get that dark.

I wish the media would focus on the writer(s) more than the director at this point. Unless it is a director like Weadon who can actually partake in the writing part of the process, having a great director and a rotten script does not make a good movie

'Insein said:
I don't know how it can be Star Wars if it doesn't start with

Actually, the funny thing was that I did not open the link and assumed he was talking about not having credits to start the movie. That was a HUGE thing between Lucas and the Academy. He took a lot of abuse for not rolling credits in the beginning. The Fox intro is another thing that I did not even think about but it is 'part' of the flow of the start of the series.

Users who are viewing this thread