What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Start Mikel Leshoure for Week 3? (1 Viewer)

I would not start him this week but I would have him in the on deck circle ready to insert in a few weeks. Kevin Smith is starting to look really sloooow.
Did you even watch the game? That remark makes it look like you didnt.In no way did he look slow, he ran hard and down hill yesterday against a very very very tough D.Shows how some watch football and people read stats.
Yes I watched the entire game. Smith ran hard but not with speed at all IMO. Last year he seemed to have a little burst in his step but I'm not seeing that this year.

Smith is so good that the Lions let him walk last year and only signed him last year because they were desperate. He spent the first two months watching TV on Sundays from his couch after no one wanted him.

Lions are a pass first team.

Don't let last night blind you; that was gameplan against the leagues BEST defense.

:lmao:

I've never seen such unsubstantiated and blind hate for a good player like this board has for Kevin Smith.

He is currently the best back they have in Det. Including Mikel, Bell, and Best. Mikel has proven nothing. Bell was ok last night, but def not better than Smith, and made a few mistakes that cost them some yards. Best isn't even a lock to play this year at all.

K Smith is not a special back. He is a pretty good back, drafted in the 2nd, with a history of injuries. When healthy, he can be the lead back and be a startable fantasy RB 1 or 2.
He's not a good player. He's below average.
how do you come to this conclusion?Last year: 4.94 ypc 8.14 ypr
Yes, all of 356 yards worth of carries. :lol:
356 more than Mikel. Coming off the street. Hard to call him below average.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both Smith and Leshoure. Figured I'd get a week 1 performance from Smith then would deal with a few weeks of bench for both as Mikel got into the swing. Then it would probably be the Leshoure show.

I love Smith. Picked him up last year the minute the Lions signed him and played him right away. That being said I think Leshoure will be the starter in a couple weeks and I'll be ready.

Just something on Kevin Smith, I would have traded him after week-1. The schedule goes SF, MIN (Wk-4), PHI-CHI-SEA wk 6-8. That's brutal and Leshoure is coming back. There's the possibility that injuries could have turned Leshoure into the next Monterio Hardesty, from what I know pre-injury he's the best back on the team, only time will tell. Even with that said I'm trying to ship Leshoure to the K-Smith owner or whoever wants him before the workload is even figured out.

The Lions are bringing in both Steve Slaton and Ryan Grant this week. My guess would be this probably means Best isn't going to be back or Leshoure doesn't look healed up yet. Given the lack of info on the latter, I'd bet it is the former.

K Smith may not be a good back and his talent may be below average, yet in 2011 he was still a top ten PPG running back in PPR. He's a fine RB2 up until Mikel walks the tallk.

I think it's crazy to start the guy in week 3. There is no way he comes in and is given the starting job. I expect at best he gets see 8-10 touches and goaline work.

Smith has done a pretty good job and fits the system better.

The Lions are bringing in both Steve Slaton and Ryan Grant this week. My guess would be this probably means Best isn't going to be back or Leshoure doesn't look healed up yet. Given the lack of info on the latter, I'd bet it is the former.
I'm betting it's the former as well. It's also possible they don't trust Smith or Leshoure to stay healthy long enough. Leshoure suffered an injury which ends careers and destroys explosiveness. Seriously, who the hell knows if he'll produce in at a pro level. I sure have my doubts.

I find this move baffling. Why would they need to bring in another back with Leshoure now available? You'd think he had never played a single snap of professional football or that he was coming off an injury that virtually no one has ever truly come back from or something. Weird :rolleyes:

I find this move baffling. Why would they need to bring in another back with Leshoure now available? You'd think he had never played a single snap of professional football or that he was coming off an injury that virtually no one has ever truly come back from or something. Weird :rolleyes:
J.Bell also performed decently last night. You'd think four RBs would be more than enough depth. Wtf can Slaton and Grant bring to your backfield other that mediocrity at this point. Possible reasons, some already mentioned..- Leshoure isn't really near 100% or in game shape- Best has no chance to come off the PUP- Smith is injured (someone mentioned that Smith looked as if he injured himself on the second to last play of the game last night)- DET has no faith in their current backfield

Wow - great analysis in this thread.

I think what will happen is that they will split carries. Detroit is a pass heavy offense and Smith is better in the receiving/pass blocking game.

J.Bell also performed decently last night. You'd think four RBs would be more than enough depth. Wtf can Slaton and Grant bring to your backfield other that mediocrity at this point. Possible reasons, some already mentioned..- Leshoure isn't really near 100% or in game shape

- Best has no chance to come off the PUP

- Smith is injured (someone mentioned that Smith looked as if he injured himself on the second to last play of the game last night)

- DET has no faith in their current backfield
- Leshoure isn't really near 100% or in game shapePOSSIBLE, BUT UNLIKELY. No indication he wasn't ready this play this week except for the suspension. Any talk of him physically not ready or not 100% is pure speculation.

LIKELY. Can't see the value of him coming back into the roster unless all others tank badly. From Sunday, K.Smith and J.Bell proved their value, but I feel they left plenty of room for Mikel to top both their performances. If Best is to come off the PUP, it might open the door for trade talks but even that's too speculative.

- Smith is injured (someone mentioned that Smith looked as if he injured himself on the second to last play of the game last night)

POSSIBLE and UNLIKELY - again speculation but not too wild a speculation given his history.

POSSIBLE UNLIKELY - It's likely that Detroit is really trying to balance their offense as well as find another threat to take some pressure of Megatron. SF showed their one dimensional focus on CJ by double and triple coverage. SF Defense was even encouraging the run with 2 deep cover, and despite their relative success against the #1 run defense, they probably were hoping for better success against that 2 deep cover defense. if DET had more success running, they could've kept more drives alive.

IMO, even if Mikel comes in a RBBC situation, I think he may see 50% of the touches. We'll get a better idea from this week's practices.

'Sweet Love said:
K Smith does not have the burst they are looking for in this offense. The Lions WANT to replace K Smith. It has nothing to do with hate, K Smith is not the back the Lions want and Leshoure will be given plenty of opportunity to replace him.
I actually have no problem with this statement. They've shown little commitment to him when they have other capable backs, but the problem is, they don't have enough backs that fit that mold right now. I know every "body" is different, so Best is not officially done, but if you look at the Collie situation (which is the closest comparison we have), Best has not even gotten to the "well maybe he can play" stage, and we saw what that meant for Collie this past week. My guess is that for 2012, he is out of the equation. Bell is a complementary back (heck, more of an emergency back) and the second LeShoure comes back, he is out of the picture. So now you have Smith and LeShoure. I do think LeShoure will get his opportunities, but since we have never seen him run in the NFL, we have no clue what to expect. Look at what Ryan Williams is doing in AZ (or really what he is NOT doing). LeShoure could easily be as ineffective as that. Where I am going with this is that DET would like for LeShoure to be the lead, but we have no clue whether he can. I'd assume a ton of rust and a big game or two towards the end of the season. I just don't see how he can take over, but he will get a chance.
What commitment are they supposed to have shown? Give a multi-year deal to a guy that came back for four games tweaked his ankle and there was no market for? Did they sign a big name free agent...or any free agent? Did they draft another running back?The kept a roster full of maimed or backup RB's going in assuming they got one thing on day 1: Kevin Smith. Do they want Leshoure healthy and productive...sure Do they hope Smith stays healthy the rest of the year and gets 15 carries a game spelled by Leshoure...I think that's what is most likely barring Leshoure puts on an Adrian Peterson showing.

what we know is Leshoure played in preseason and is full speed go right now so there should be no question about him being in game shape. Kevin Smith has shown himself to be a 4 YPC guy who attracted no interest league wide until Best went down last year. Leshoure is the presumed starter from the beat writers who have seen all the practices and been around the team the most. one question I have is why does everyone act like Leshoure adds nothing in the passing game and is helpless there so will be replaced and never catch a pass? he looked fine in the preseason to me catching a swing pass and going for 30 yards

I watch every Lion's game, and I honestly think that while Smith has performed admirably since rejoining the team last year, he leaves a lot out there. He gets just what's blocked, with moderated shiftiness to create for himself, but that's it. He just seems to leave a lot of yards out there in my opinion. If Leshoure is truly fully healed, and close to the back they drafted, I can't see how he doesn't supplant Smith as the lead back. He was wowing everyone last year before the injury. Trust me, I admire Kevin Smith, and appreciate that he is a very solid back in regards to doing what's needed of him. He's good in pass pro, a very good receiver, and as I said... seems able to get what's blocked, but he just isn't a difference maker.

This isn't to say that Leshoure is, but he was well regarded coming out last year, was flashing something early in camp, and is supposedly healthy now. Smith might be a solid fantasy back, but the Lion's need a playmaker, to balance this offense out. I bet they give Leshoure a shot to show whether he can do it.

Only if Smith gets hurt
Why? Leshoure is their best back.
Ok. What are his NFL accomplishments?
He has more burst than K Smith and that is all it is gonna take.
You can't expect this coming off an achilles tear. He can't catch either.
He only caught 8 less passes in college than Smith did and for 11.9 YPC to Smith's 8.1 YPC.

Only if Smith gets hurt
He only caught 8 less passes in college than Smith did and for 11.9 YPC to Smith's 8.1 YPC.
Smith has shown he can catch the ball in the pros. To my knowledge Leshoure has yet to show anything in the pros. I didn't see any of him in preseason, but I do remember reading that he wasn't impressing.

Only if Smith gets hurt
Smith has shown he can catch the ball in the pros. To my knowledge Leshoure has yet to show anything in the pros. I didn't see any of him in preseason, but I do remember reading that he wasn't impressing.
Which is it? Has he proven anything or not? You are saying he has proven nothing in the pros because he has no regular season games but also say he can't catch. How do you know he can't catch and hasn't recovered from the achilles tear if he hasn't played a pro game yet?I expect he will get a chance to prove himself over the next few weeks. Very few teams draft a player in the second round in order to then not give them a chance to play. Leshoure still needs to prove he can do it, but he will get a chance. If he doesn't offer anything more than Smith then I would continue to play Smith with Leshoure a change of pace back until next year.

'SproutDaddy said:
'cstu said:
'SproutDaddy said:
Only if Smith gets hurt
Looked good to me, and caught a few balls if I recall. You have made a few definitive statements regarding Leshoure now... without seeing the guy?

I see no reason this cannot become an RBBC if both Smith and Leshoure produce. If one gets hurt, then the other will obviously hold more value. Until we see how Leshoure looks and/or how Detroit plans to use the backs, it's anyone's guess.

I dont know what some of you are watching. Kevin Smith is NOTHING SPECIAL. Plus, he will inevitably get hurt- its only a matter of time.

Leshoure and him will split carries this week. Leshoure will have the majority of touches by week 6.

THat is all, I have spoken.

From Rotoworld:

Lions OC Scott Linehan continued to talk up RB Mikel Leshoure Monday.

Linehan brushed off Leshoure's 2.2 YPC in the preseason, saying the power back made some "fabulous one-yard runs." The concern is that Leshoure hasn't played in full game since college after tearing his Achilles in last year's training camp and serving a two-game suspension this year. "We'll see how much he's ready to go in [Week 3] but he'll certainly be involved heavily in the game plan and we'll go from there," Linehan said. "We've always felt like he was going to be a big boost for us once he came back in the lineup."

From Rotoworld:Lions OC Scott Linehan continued to talk up RB Mikel Leshoure Monday.Linehan brushed off Leshoure's 2.2 YPC in the preseason, saying the power back made some "fabulous one-yard runs." The concern is that Leshoure hasn't played in full game since college after tearing his Achilles in last year's training camp and serving a two-game suspension this year. "We'll see how much he's ready to go in [Week 3] but he'll certainly be involved heavily in the game plan and we'll go from there," Linehan said. "We've always felt like he was going to be a big boost for us once he came back in the lineup."
This says a lot. Leshoure is not just any 2-bit RB that the Lion could have considered dropping or putting on the practice squad or burying in the depth chart. Instead they are going out of their way to make room on the roster for him, and this considering they already have and watched K.Smith & J.Bell for a couple of weeks. Now the OC is excited to have this "boost" in their offence. All this says the Lions give Leshoure more than a fair share of opportunities, both to prove himself and demonstrate to the Lions exactly what they may have in Leshoure. My best guess is Leshoure gets a majority of carries in week 3 (8+ carries) and possibly 2+ targets. This may even continue to week 4. Does anyone have any ideas how he is being used in practice?

From Rotoworld:Lions OC Scott Linehan continued to talk up RB Mikel Leshoure Monday.Linehan brushed off Leshoure's 2.2 YPC in the preseason, saying the power back made some "fabulous one-yard runs." The concern is that Leshoure hasn't played in full game since college after tearing his Achilles in last year's training camp and serving a two-game suspension this year. "We'll see how much he's ready to go in [Week 3] but he'll certainly be involved heavily in the game plan and we'll go from there," Linehan said. "We've always felt like he was going to be a big boost for us once he came back in the lineup."
oh baby, that's EXACTLY what I want to hear from the OC. Fire up the bandwagon!!I've been trying like heck to get him in one league that I don't have him but have been close....may have to up the ante a bit.

i think this should help steer the crowd a little.this is more than conjecture based on the little history that's been debated in this thread.watch wk 3 and go from there.no reason to risk anything nxt wk.if u believe in him, pick him up, watch wk 3, and decide from there.if not, move along.

The hype surrounding Leshoure is palpable right now. One after another, reports are flying around how he's by and far the talented in the backfield, how he's a near lock to win the starting job. Kevin Smith is really getting shafted here haha.

The hype surrounding Leshoure is palpable right now. One after another, reports are flying around how he's by and far the talented in the backfield, how he's a near lock to win the starting job. Kevin Smith is really getting shafted here haha.
even given all those reports, I wouldn't start him before I saw him play unless I was desparate.

even given all those reports, I wouldn't start him before I saw him play unless I was desparate.
Absolutely not, I'm just kind of in awe. What we saw from Leshoure in the preseason was promising but certainly nothing to write home about. The coaching staff must really see something special in this dude.

Absolutely not, I'm just kind of in awe. What we saw from Leshoure in the preseason was promising but certainly nothing to write home about. The coaching staff must really see something special in this dude.
this is why you can't always trust the box scores....love this quote...Linehan brushed off Leshoure's 2.2 YPC in the preseason, saying the power back made some "fabulous one-yard runs."

I'm buying and selling Leshoure. I put in a nice bid in one league and offered him to the K.Smith owner in another for Torrey Smith(He actually thinking about it right now). I'll take him, not to many better gambles right now. I'll sell him if you're willing to overpay. I thought he was better than Ryan Williams and Mark Ingram out of college, not sure what the injuries may have done to his game but I'm still on board.There's a chance he never lives up to the hype and injuries hurt his career and top 15 upside at the same dam time.

J.Bell also performed decently last night. You'd think four RBs would be more than enough depth. Wtf can Slaton and Grant bring to your backfield other that mediocrity at this point. Possible reasons, some already mentioned..- Leshoure isn't really near 100% or in game shape

"decently?" 6 carries for 14 yards, and 1 catch for 9 yards, until a late 50 yard screen pass when the 49ers were in a prevent defense with 2 safeties deep, is decently? Checking out these 2 guys means little, IMO. If they sign one, then it's time to start reading the tea leaves.

"decently?" 6 carries for 14 yards, and 1 catch for 9 yards, until a late 50 yard screen pass when the 49ers were in a prevent defense with 2 safeties deep, is decently? Checking out these 2 guys means little, IMO. If they sign one, then it's time to start reading the tea leaves.
Is that really what you're going to nitpick at haha. Yeah, against SF, he played decently.

Long time Lions homer. The Lions are committed to RBBC and pretty deep too. I expect Bell to get a handful of carries in the near future +3-5 a game to Logan/Burleson/Young on pitch/reverse. I think Keiland Williams is probably the odd guy out here. Smith will continue as the primary for the short term and Leshoure phased in. You might see him taking over later in the year if he's as good as advertised but Week 3 he is a weak play. In any case I cannot see him getting 15+ carries in any game this year if things go our way

Users who are viewing this thread