What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

State Foods (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
These are sometimes fun. Mostly because nobody agrees. It's either "Yawn. Too lazy/obvious
or "LOL. Have they ever been to ________? How could they miss that?"

What do you think?

I’m not sure if just me, but I’ve tried reading the list a couple of times and my phone keeps crashing as I try to scroll that page. I give up.

It took me a good couples minutes for all the ads to load before I could scroll down to the bottom.

Cin-tucky lays claim to that abomination thing they call 'chili,' but there are only 2 locations still selling that dredge within 2 hours of me and I live in the most heavily populated metro area of the state.

Cin-tucky lays claim to that abomination thing they call 'chili,' but there are only 2 locations still selling that dredge within 2 hours of me and I live in the most heavily populated metro area of the state.

Yeah, Ohio’s dish the last 3 years probably should’ve been crow.

Colorado:
The first "Fool's Gold" sandwich, a sourdough loaf stuffed with peanut butter, blueberry jam, and a pound of bacon, was invented by the now-closed Colorado Mine Company, a restaurant in Denver.
Never heard of this but it sounds delicious.

Kansas:
A cross between a sloppy joe and a cheeseburger, loose meat sandwiches are a favorite among Kansas locals.
Lol. Loose meat sandwich, that is ban bait.

Michigan:
Wet burritos, which come covered in red chile sauce and tons of cheese, reportedly originate from the Beltline Bar in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
I would have guessed cherry pies (or something cherry related) but wet burritos was my second guess.

New Mexico:

Green Chile Cheeseburger
Nailed it, even included the bacon and avocado which is my favorite variant.

South Dakota:
Instead of traditional taco shells, those in South Dakota use frybread, which is flattened dough cooked in hot oil until puffy and crispy, to make Navajo tacos.

These are big in the southwest, given the Navajo presence. Very tasty.

Most items were predictable but that is okay. We have a pretty diverse country when it comes to cuisine. Now I am hungry.

Grew up in Michigan, would not have guessed wet burrito.
Fried chicken is too generic, but Zehnders does it best.
Cherry pie for sure would be on the short list. As would Apple cider and cinnamon donuts.

But the winner for Michigan should have been the Pączki.

Just having general "barbecue" for Missouri and Texas feels lazy. Shrimp and grits is a good choice for SC. Could use some good Brunswick stew on a cold, rainy day like today but I don't know if I've ever had it while in Georgia.

Would have gone Brisket or Burnt Ends specifically for Texas, but will take the generic BBQ over other choices they could have tried to squeeze in.

Cherry pie for sure would be on the short list. As would Apple cider and cinnamon donuts.

100% agree on being clueless on the wet burrito. I would have gone with The Coney Dog (with just mustard & onions). AND. Zef's in Eastern Market does them WAY better that American or Lafayette!!

Interesting to see Cuban Sandwich for Florida. Thought it was more of a Tampa thing. A well made Cuban sandwich is tough to beat. There are a couple of small restaurants in Ybor (the historic Cuban cigar making district) with wild chickens roaming around that make the best.

Was hoping to see Grouper Sandwich myself. As a Floridian I hate to say the best grouper sandwich I've ever had was in Mississippi at a touristy spot on the gulf.

I’ve seen Wet Burritos on menus but had no idea it was a Michigan thing.

Coney dogs
Pasties
Detroit style pizza

Yeah Pączki would have been a better choice

Heck even Almond Chicken would’ve been better than wet burrito

Was this article written by AI or something?

Alabama - never eaten chicken and white sauce here, ever.

At least Louisiana makes sense. Kinda hard to screw that one up.

I feel sorry for Minnesota....corn dogs.
They should have given them the juicy lucy.

Agreed.
Probably should be tater tot hotdish. It's terrible - well, not terrible, but not good, but it is very Minnesotan
Yeah, that or juicy Lucy would make more sense than corn dogs. I lived in MN for 5 years — literally never would have guessed corn dogs.

Great topic and list Joe. Gives me some new food ideas when traveling for work.

I feel sorry for Minnesota....corn dogs.
They should have given them the juicy lucy.

Agreed.
Probably should be tater tot hotdish. It's terrible - well, not terrible, but not good, but it is very Minnesotan
So this is like a green bean casserole with tater tots? Looks awesome.
Now imagine it has zero flavor. That’s the MN version.

Interesting to see Cuban Sandwich for Florida. Thought it was more of a Tampa thing. A well made Cuban sandwich is tough to beat. There are a couple of small restaurants in Ybor (the historic Cuban cigar making district) with wild chickens roaming around that make the best.

Was hoping to see Grouper Sandwich myself. As a Floridian I hate to say the best grouper sandwich I've ever had was in Mississippi at a touristy spot on the gulf.
Yeah. Agree with you. Key lime pie maybe? Best Cubans I’ve ever had are at a place east of Tampa in Plant City called Strawberry Hut

I would have picked a straight up taco for California. I can get excellent tacos from at least ten different places within a two mile radius. Most anyone that lives here in a reasonably populated area can say the same thing.

I would have picked a straight up taco for California. I can get excellent tacos from at least ten different places within a two mile radius. Most anyone that lives here in a reasonably populated area can say the same thing.

I hear you. But that's what I mean on the criticism. Pick taco for California and everyone rolls their eyes with BORING.

I actually don't mind Avocado Toast. That feels like a California thing. I could also see California Burrito or Sourdough bread. Or California Sushi Roll.

But for sure, y'all crush tacos.

I actually don't mind Avocado Toast. That feels like a California thing.

I guess, in a way. But it also seems like a California cliche too. I never eat avocado toast. Rarely a week goes by when I don't have tacos once or twice.

Agree about Sourdough bread though. Tri-tip would have been another good one.

I actually don't mind Avocado Toast. That feels like a California thing.

I guess, in a way. But it also seems like a California cliche too. I never eat avocado toast. Rarely a week goes by when I don't have tacos once or twice.

Agree about Sourdough bread though. Tri-tip would have been another good one.

YES. Tri-Tip actually should have been it.

My grandmother ate Cuban sandwiches in Ybor City in the 1930s. Post-Fidel, there are dozens of places in Miami that tout the best Cuban sandwich, including Versailles and La Carreta on Calle Ocho. I was also hoping for a grouper sandwich, one of my pre-vegan day favorites from anywhere on the Gulf Coast, but especially in Ft. Myers Beach.

These are sometimes fun. Mostly because nobody agrees. It's either "Yawn. Too lazy/obvious
or "LOL. Have they ever been to ________? How could they miss that?"

What do you think?

I think last time you (or somebody) posted this it was Marionberry Pie for Oregon. Haven't looked yet, but hoping that's not the case. Not that it's bad, but it's usually seasonal and nobody is ordering that for a meal. Dungeness Crab should have been the answer.

Looking now.....

BBQ for Texas sounds about right.

Perusing the list, it seems they got more right than wrong, imo.
My thoughts as well. Living in SC, they nailed that one. Krispy Kreme is based in NC so not out of line but with the BBQ battles we have between NC & SC I wouldn't have gone with a donut here.
Thank you. Had that abominable wretched dish once, ONCE and much like that tussle you had as a high schooler with a bottle of cheap gin, could never make myself go back and have a second helping. That nonsense needs to be stricken from the record.

I’ve seen Wet Burritos on menus but had no idea it was a Michigan thing.

Coney dogs
Pasties
Detroit style pizza

Yeah Pączki would have been a better choice

Heck even Almond Chicken would’ve been better than wet burrito

Was this article written by AI or something?

My favorite dish that I've only seen in Michigan? Perch. Had a crispy perch sandwich before playing 18 at Arcadia and it was one of the best fish sandwiches I've ever had.

Lived in Mississippi 4 years and I never once heard somebody say the "Vicksburg-Natchez-Jackson area" before. Natchez is an hour and a half from Vicksburg and Jackson. Weird.

And, with Mississippi being the country's leading producer of catfish, I would have thought that a lay-up for their food. Instead they go with Mud Pie? Feels like this thing needs to separate foods from desserts.

Maybe the FFA can come up with a better version of this?

Users who are viewing this thread