What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (16 Viewers)

Mark Cuban comments:

"“As long as we’re allowing companies to trade stocks in milliseconds, how can we expect this to be an investors market?” Cuban said. “Until you change that, you can’t change what’s happening with WallStreetBets.”

“When you short a stock, there’s a [vigorish] on it,” which is essentially a fee for placing a bet, Cuban said. “You have to borrow it and you’re paying some percentage to whoever owns a stock and is loaning it out. And as someone who has shorted stocks many times, you know when that vig is high, you know exactly what you’re getting into and you know exactly what the risks are and you just hope something like this doesn’t happen.”

He's kind of a tool, but he's a sharp tool.  (I like the guy, and he's certainly right here).

Old man thought - Why can't you youngsters buy quality companies and be happy with a 10-15% yearly return?
What if they feel like shutting us down on those?  Or just stealing the money out of our account? Or just changing the price to whatever they want? Only letting people sell those? 

wonder if any of the reddit guys are cleaning up with puts on the way down...

-QG
The puts have been so ridiculously expensive that, while one can make some money heading down, I would not describe it as cleaning up. That's for puts. How sweet would it be if they turned on a dime and started shorting it themselves. That's where the money is.

So did you expect flat out market manipulation?
What did you think the spike was from? Do you really think GME fundamentally is worth more than $10-30 a share? Go look at the revenue bleed that halved this year. It’s not a good company to own. I don’t care if the Chewy guy invested, the ride up was as manipulated as today. If you honestly didn’t think that what happened today could happen then you should buy stocks when they are 5-10 times what the actual company value is. I’m sure I missed out on some gains but I knew that I’d time it wrong because I tend to hesitate sometimes and being late to these parties means a lot of money. I hope the folks in here didn’t get killed but I posted my thought as well. It was clear that at some point the stocks would blow up.

Mark Cuban comments:

"“As long as we’re allowing companies to trade stocks in milliseconds, how can we expect this to be an investors market?” Cuban said. “Until you change that, you can’t change what’s happening with WallStreetBets.”

“When you short a stock, there’s a [vigorish] on it,” which is essentially a fee for placing a bet, Cuban said. “You have to borrow it and you’re paying some percentage to whoever owns a stock and is loaning it out. And as someone who has shorted stocks many times, you know when that vig is high, you know exactly what you’re getting into and you know exactly what the risks are and you just hope something like this doesn’t happen.”

He's kind of a tool, but he's a sharp tool.  (I like the guy, and he's certainly right here).
I am generally much more favorable to him than a lot of the other tools tis true.  I love how he will slap down every scam product/scammer on Shark Tank without mercy.

-QG

People have got to understand this has happened forever.  Just because it's being exposed on social platforms to be more transparent doesn't mean it's a new thing.   
Well kudos to the 16 year olds on the internet who are actually willing to stick their neck out to try and do something about it.  And shame on the boomer suits that are willing to just accept it and let the little guy get run over for all eternity.

They made one really poor point where they blamed government to some extent for lack of regulation on the hedgies but didn't articulate it well and the host kind of took it as if they were implying the government ordered the Robinhood shutdown and went off on them.

Other than that I think they made some great points.  I loved their intro when asked if they own any of these stocks and they replied something like "we specifically made sure we don't have any open positions on these stocks when we came on to talk about it because we did not want to have any conflicts of interest, unlike the people you typically interview who almost always have a monetary stake in what they're saying".
Yup, as the old saying goes:  Everybody talks their book.......

Added 150 shares of AAPL this morning.  When sanity returns, I expect the blue bloods of tech to benefit substantially.  

Well kudos to the 16 year olds on the internet who are actually willing to stick their neck out to try and do something about it.  And shame on the boomer suits that are willing to just accept it and let the little guy get run over for all eternity.
agree with all of this except boomer suits.  The money was doing this way, way before boomers were born.

What did you think the spike was from? Do you really think GME fundamentally is worth more than $10-30 a share? Go look at the revenue bleed that halved this year. It’s not a good company to own. I don’t care if the Chewy guy invested, the ride up was as manipulated as today. If you honestly didn’t think that what happened today could happen then you should buy stocks when they are 5-10 times what the actual company value is. I’m sure I missed out on some gains but I knew that I’d time it wrong because I tend to hesitate sometimes and being late to these parties means a lot of money. I hope the folks in here didn’t get killed but I posted my thought as well. It was clear that at some point the stocks would blow up.
There's a difference between "hey this thing is over shorted, if lots of people buy it will create a short squeeze the same way that MMers create short squeezes 2 dozen times a week" and "hey we're losing bad on this trade, let's call the owner of the broker they trade on and tell them to ban the other side from buying this stock we shorted or we will pull all of their funding".

If you can't see the difference there, I don't know what to say.

There is nothing wrong with taking small shots. I do that too with certain stocks (BLDP cough cough, BLMN and MGM when they were slaughtered and we made doubles inside of 4-5 months). As long as your willing to lose every cent of those "small shots”. 

My real money? My nest egg money? I invest and make calculated educated long term bets. Has worked for me since 1987. 

I will stick with what I know. And all I have ever done in this thread is give friendly “Free” advice from a professional money managers view point. I am sure I have helped a lot of people in here make money in 2020. 

And I always try to protect people in here who simply have no idea what they are doing from getting slaughtered. I am sure there are plenty of gung ho amateurs who are holding the bag here on GME.
Did I miss something on BLDP? I am still adding a little when it dips. I thought dirty hydrogen was the wave of the future,  and this was a good company to be invested in?

This is why i stay in index funds.
Personally I feel like there's a better return owning individual stocks.

What if they feel like shutting us down on those?  Or just stealing the money out of our account? Or just changing the price to whatever they want? Only letting people sell those? 
They aren't going to kill the goose that funds public companies.

:lmao:

This is like Arizona Ron promoting monogamy.

(Love you, BnB!)
Point taken.

Also agree that it's a great opportunity to grab some APPL for a quick 5-7% swing trade. While everyone is distracted with this nonsense, buy on the dip.

If you are honestly asking this question, then you haven't been paying attention for the past 12+ years.
Honest question from a noob. Has there ever been a case of systematically stopping buys on a specific stock and allowing sales to drive down the price? Is that manipulation normal? 

There were basically saying "who convinced RH to stop trading those stocks?"

think we now know that the hedge funders (who do 60% of RH business) pressured them to do so. And the doofus twins were trying to get CNBC to find that story. And they should.
Not doubting you, but where do you get the figure that 60% of hedge funds use Robinhood?  They aren't a prime broker, are they?  

Jefferies came out today and said "NO" on these stock names.  That's a big brokerage house with several hedge funds as prime brokerage accounts.  Crazy f'n times.

Old man thought - Why can't you youngsters buy quality companies and be happy with a 10-15% yearly return?
:lol:  

"Your company run 401K's give you folks a couple of fantastic index tracking funds to invest in.  You should all feel so privileged to be part of our amazing investing community!"   

No I did not think GME was worth that price, but this was fundamentally different. The fund shorted 140% and tomorrow was supposed to be the first day they need to start covering. 

No surprise they did everything they could today. 

Honest question from a noob. Has there ever been a case of systematically stopping buys on a specific stock and allowing sales to drive down the price? Is that manipulation normal? 
Brokers halt stocks for extreme volatility sometimes.  I'm sure legally that is what Robinhood will hide behind.  It's obvious that's not what is actually happening here, though someone will have to prove it somehow.

Although a lawsuit may be unnecessary.  Like Facebook or Google, Robinhood's product are it's users.  And they just epically sold out their users.  Without their users, they have no product, and I'd have to imagine they are going to lose a WHOLE lot of them over this.

No I did not think GME was worth that price, but this was fundamentally different. The fund shorted 140% and tomorrow was supposed to be the first day they need to start covering. 

No surprise they did everything they could today. 

MY biggest play ever was the BB play.  Yesterday I was so excited.  Today seeing it down 50% or whatever was awful.

After a bit of thought, I'm holding.  I'm in at $18.96 and hopefully it will bounce tomorrow

There is 100% a concentrated effort to kill GME by the call tomorrow, lol.  It's honestly amazing to see the process in place when you fly too close to the sun.
If its 100% shouldn't you be betting on it? Seems like pretty good odds

Last edited by a moderator:
Not doubting you, but where do you get the figure that 60% of hedge funds use Robinhood?  They aren't a prime broker, are they?  

Jefferies came out today and said "NO" on these stock names.  That's a big brokerage house with several hedge funds as prime brokerage accounts.  Crazy f'n times.
I don't think the numbers are that 60% of hedge funds use Robinhood, but rather that 60% of Robinhood's income comes from hedge funds.

I'm not sure if that's accurate, but it's been getting thrown around a lot.

Probably, but the scale of the manipulation has definitely been ramped up post-2008.
Right, and of course what will likely come of all this?  Probably more regulation on retail investors, nothing on institutions.

No different than the point I believe someone here pointed out early.  The result of the institutionally caused dot com bubble was the PDT rule placed on retail traders.

Users who are viewing this thread