What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (11 Viewers)

Regarding money market accounts that pay around 4%, can someone explain to me like I’m 5? Is this accessible inside of a Roth or just a cash/brokerage account? In Fidelity, for example, does money need transferred into a specific “money market” fund or if cash is just sitting in the account does it get this interest?
What are the limitations on buying and selling equities within the account and how that impacts any interest received?

Thanks!
In my Schwab account I have to buy their money market account, currently paying around 4.5%. SWVXX. Fidelity has their own. Cash just sitting there doesn’t automatically get transferred into a high yield account. Atleast it doesn’t in mine.

Last edited:
Regarding money market accounts that pay around 4%, can someone explain to me like I’m 5? Is this accessible inside of a Roth or just a cash/brokerage account? In Fidelity, for example, does money need transferred into a specific “money market” fund or if cash is just sitting in the account does it get this interest?
What are the limitations on buying and selling equities within the account and how that impacts any interest received?

Thanks!
In my Schwab account I have to buy their money market account, currently paying around 4.5%. SWVXX. Fidelity has their own. Cash just sitting there doesn’t automatically get transferred into a high yield account. Atleast it doesn’t in mind.
Does your mm account pay interest on some regular basis like weekly or monthly, and if you sell from the money market account to buy a stock or something else, do you not get the interest for that period?

Thanks!
In my Schwab account I have to buy their money market account, currently paying around 4.5%. SWVXX. Fidelity has their own. Cash just sitting there doesn’t automatically get transferred into a high yield account. Atleast it doesn’t in mind.
Does your mm account pay interest on some regular basis like weekly or monthly, and if you sell from the money market account to buy a stock or something else, do you not get the interest for that period?

It's typically paid monthly and is all automatically pro-rated. So if you move it to the MM on the 7th of the month and then move some of it out to buy a stock on the 15th the portion you moved out will have earned interest for 8 days while the rest will have earned interest for 23 days and all of it will be paid out together at the end of the month.

Pochantas was in rare form today.
I don’t want this to get political. I mean, I’m about as apolitical as they get. She’s a moron.
Yeah it was ridiculous. And again you don’t have to be political to understand how it was oute Political Theater.

Highly unproductive.
I’m no fan of Powell but he handles her questions a lot better than I would. She wanted him to stop raising rates last summer when they were at 2% and wanted to send everyone $2000 monthly stimulus checks. What would inflation be if Warren got her way….15%?
Yeah, talk about tunnel vision. The criticism of the Fed is that they waited way, way too long to raise rates, not what they are doing now. "Transitory" has a permanent cache now because of those blinders. And boatloads of spending Warren is responsible for fanning the flames.

Thanks!
Pays out on the 15th of each month. If you sell before that, you get the prorated portion.

I don’t want this to get political. I mean, I’m about as apolitical as they get. She’s a moron.
Yeah it was ridiculous. And again you don’t have to be political to understand how it was oute Political Theater.

Highly unproductive.
I’m no fan of Powell but he handles her questions a lot better than I would. She wanted him to stop raising rates last summer when they were at 2% and wanted to send everyone $2000 monthly stimulus checks. What would inflation be if Warren got her way….15%?
Yeah, talk about tunnel vision. The criticism of the Fed is that they waited way, way too long to raise rates, not what they are doing now. "Transitory" has a permanent cache now because of those blinders. And boatloads of spending Warren is responsible for fanning the flames.
This is not even a Republican or Democrat issue.

Between both administrations during 2019-2021 they (The federal
Government) pumped 9 trillion dollars into the economy. Our entire economy is 22 trillion dollars.

Let that sink in for just a moment.

And interest rates were kept at zero that entire time.

This was a total team effort.

The roosters are coming home to roost.

Both sides need to STFU and allow monetary policy to run its course to cleanse out this stench of inflation.

Again I believe we already have been in a recession since summer of 2022….unemployment is gonna accelerate here shortly, housing is going to give way here shortly (not crash just correct) and by second half 2024 theybwill begin to cut to become more accommodating and re prime the pump to get the economy going again.

High quality, dividends, and more fixed income than you normally allocate to is the play for 2023 and 1st half of 2024. Then we can re-evaluate where things are going.

Last edited:

Again I believe we already have been in a recession since summer of 2022….unemployment is gonna accelerate here shortly, housing is going to give way here shortly (not crash just correct) and by second half 2024 theybwill begin to cut to become more accommodating and re prime the pump to get the economy going again.
Mortgage applications are pretty much at their lowest level ever. Housing is there.

Highly unproductive.
This is not even a Republican or Democrat issue.

Between both administrations during 2019-2021 they (The federal
Government) pumped 9 trillion dollars into the economy. Our entire economy is 22 trillion dollars.

Let that sink in for just a moment.

And interest rates were kept at zero that entire time.

This was a total team effort.

The roosters are coming home to roost.

Both sides need to STFU and allow monetary policy to run its course to cleanse out this stench of inflation.

High quality, dividends, and more fixed income than you normally allocate to is the play for 2023 and 1st half of 2024. Then we can re-evaluate where things are going.

At least this time it's just a relatively powerless member of congress throwing a hissy. Last time they tried to raise rates it was the president, who was much more successful in pressuring them to cut again. And unluckily, at EXACTLY the wrong moment with what none of us knew was on the horizon.

Mortgage applications are pretty much at their lowest level ever. Housing is there.

How much can this be attributed to low inventory? I know realtors are basically going broke or getting side hustles because there are so few houses to show here?

It could always be that people don't want to sell their current house, because they pay 2% to get a new one at 6 or whatever.

This actually could lead to more price inflation, not less, as you need to compensate those with the low mortgage just to get out.

How much can this be attributed to low inventory? I know realtors are basically going broke or getting side hustles because there are so few houses to show here?

It could always be that people don't want to sell their current house, because they pay 2% to get a new one at 6 or whatever.

This actually could lead to more price inflation, not less, as you need to compensate those with the low mortgage just to get out.
Where are you? Things have largely stabilized here (then again, I'm in Alabama, so they never got very crazy).

Where are you? Things have largely stabilized here (then again, I'm in Alabama, so they never got very crazy).

I think generally (with some exceptions, for sure) the areas that saw the largest appreciation are seeing the largest fluctuations now, which makes sense.

We have a vacation home in Southern Utah that we bought in Southern Utah for $500k in early 2021. But late 2021 comps in the area were selling for over $1M.

Things have retreated pretty rapidly lately, with comps now listing in the $600k's and some sitting on the market for quite a while.

Obviously I'm not going to complain about $100k appreciation in a year, but we left a lot of money on the table by not selling during the frenzy.

I think generally (with some exceptions, for sure) the areas that saw the largest appreciation are seeing the largest fluctuations now, which makes sense.

We have a vacation home in Southern Utah that we bought in Southern Utah for $500k in early 2021. But late 2021 comps in the area were selling for over $1M.

Things have retreated pretty rapidly lately, with comps now listing in the $600k's and some sitting on the market for quite a while.

Obviously I'm not going to complain about $100k appreciation in a year, but we left a lot of money on the table by not selling during the frenzy.

Wouldn't you have had to pay cap gains on that inside of 2 years? Probably worth it but I'm neither an accountant nor intelligent.

Wouldn't you have had to pay cap gains on that inside of 2 years? Probably worth it but I'm neither an accountant nor intelligent.
Not sure about Utah, but at least here on a second home it's just counted as regular property and is subject to LTCG.

Not sure about Utah, but at least here on a second home it's just counted as regular property and is subject to LTCG.

Yeah but I'd happily pay the CG to have gotten out at the peak. Trying to avoid taxes has cost me SO much money.

I had so many tech stocks that I wanted to roll into safer plays but I didn't want to pay taxes on so I just held them (figuring worst case they wouldn't fall any more than the tax burden that selling them would create). Now I don't have to worry about CG on them anymore because most of them are in the red, lol.

Silvergate.........goodbye
$SIVB looking like it might be at the beginning of a meltdown, too. Not a crypto bank but lots of business with startup tech-like businesses. I traded them for a while during the euphoric period. Seemed solid at the time, but haven’t paid attention to them in a while. Doesn’t look too great for them!

Dallas. Things got crazy and if anything prices are still up from 2022

And you're in Dallas....nowhere near a nice beach or a mountain. Brutal summers. Horrendous traffic. Forced to spend a great deal of time in your car. Best decision I ever made was leaving that place.

And you're in Dallas....nowhere near a nice beach or a mountain. Brutal summers. Horrendous traffic. Forced to spend a great deal of time in your car. Best decision I ever made was leaving that place.
Warmth, beaches, mountains are all a state needs. Best states in the country are CA, NC and VA.

$SIVB looking like it might be at the beginning of a meltdown, too. Not a crypto bank but lots of business with startup tech-like businesses. I traded them for a while during the euphoric period. Seemed solid at the time, but haven’t paid attention to them in a while. Doesn’t look too great for them!
Looked into both but never bought. I think SIVB is now just above when I first heard of them in 2020. Will be interesting to see where they end up. SI’s ending seems to be determined already.

Will be my first stock to go to zero!

:tfp:
Hopefully it was just a small position
Yes, it was - and as it turns out I managed to only lose 88% of my investment after selling this AM.

Curious as to who is buying SI when they have already announced they are closing up shop? People hoping there are some assets to be sold after all is said & done & that would somehow come back to shareholders?

I was surprised I was able to recoup any of my investment this AM after the news. Any thoughts from any of you who have been in this game for longer than I have?

Warmth, beaches, mountains are all a state needs. Best states in the country are CA, NC and VA.
NC/SC is real nice IMHO, adding in lakes as well. About to close (fingers crossed) on a great lakefront lot for our work until retired house in SC. Basically within 1-3.5 hours of Atlanta, beach (Hilton Head and dirty Myrtle), Asheville, Charlotte, Greenville, Augusta, Charleston and Savannah. Won’t be building for a few years at least but something to look forward to and hopefully not broke by then!

Yes, it was - and as it turns out I managed to only lose 88% of my investment after selling this AM.

Curious as to who is buying SI when they have already announced they are closing up shop? People hoping there are some assets to be sold after all is said & done & that would somehow come back to shareholders?

I was surprised I was able to recoup any of my investment this AM after the news. Any thoughts from any of you who have been in this game for longer than I have?
There a whole faction of retail investors propping up stocks that are going bankrupt or getting delisted. It’s a really weird phenomenon and usually turns into an SEC and hedge fund rant by the people who bought the pop hoping for more squeeze.

There a whole faction of retail investors propping up stocks that are going bankrupt or getting delisted. It’s a really weird phenomenon and usually turns into an SEC and hedge fund rant by the people who bought the pop hoping for more squeeze.
Wasn't this basically GME?

Yes. There are a bunch of people betting on short squeeze stocks. GME is a bit different in that they parlayed the squeeze into a company not on path to chapter 11. Most times the squeezes benefited executives who got out higher, hedge funds/financiers who sold the shares for the company and the people who initiated the volume and got out before the ride down (and likely shorted on the way down). Those companies are still on the path to chapter 11, just extended the timeline.

The lack of warmth in the spring is my biggest gripe about Oregon. Well, that and you can't swim in the ocean here unless you're a nihilist.

The lack of warmth in the spring is my biggest gripe about Oregon. Well, that and you can't swim in the ocean here unless you're a nihilist.
Agreed. Oh, and the zombies now roaming Portland, there's that.:crying:

NC/SC is real nice IMHO, adding in lakes as well. About to close (fingers crossed) on a great lakefront lot for our work until retired house in SC. Basically within 1-3.5 hours of Atlanta, beach (Hilton Head and dirty Myrtle), Asheville, Charlotte, Greenville, Augusta, Charleston and Savannah. Won’t be building for a few years at least but something to look forward to and hopefully not broke by then!
I see myself moving to Cary NC inside 10 years. I absolutely love it there. NC is amazing.

I don't think GME ever got to this "it's over, we're filing the papers now" stage. It was just not looking good and everyone projecting that they weren't going to make it when people started jumping in.

I think the only one that actually went that far and came back was Hertz, which was pretty much officially dead, papers were filed, inventory was being sold off, and then so many people jumped in it resurrected it and the company is fully back now.

So maybe some people hoping for that. But probably mostly just day traders. With these bankruptcy companies there is often some article or announcement that comes out in the midst of it about some potential hail marry recovery chance that causes the annihilated stock to pop 200% in 10 minutes before all the traders take their profits and it drops back down.

Crypto vs stocks?

I just purchased $1000 of ETH. after fees im at $976 I have .6888 ETH
ETH is at $1416.42 (per share?)

I bet it beats anything you have in stocks that you will buy $1000 in tomorrow.

if you win, well, you won, you made more than me. no side bets

you need to actually purchase $1000 worth though. this isnt the stock contest.

End of year
Game on?

Last edited:
Damn SIVB closed down 60% and now it’s down another 65% in pre-market. Either it’s cheap as heck for the future or it’s about to go under. Must be some sort of run on it.

Damn SIVB closed down 60% and now it’s down another 65% in pre-market. Either it’s cheap as heck for the future or it’s about to go under. Must be some sort of run on it.
Just got halted, news pending.
I see the halt now but it was stopped at $106. I saw it at $35 earlier this morning.
Trading under 40 now. The news was the capital raise failed and they’re exploring a sale.

Life comes at you fast…

I'm sure the market loves the latest budget proposal...
POTUS budgets are always thrown straight into the trash. It'll be ignored and the House will make up its own.

I see the halt now but it was stopped at $106. I saw it at $35 earlier this morning.
Trading under 40 now. The news was the capital raise failed and they’re exploring a sale.

Life comes at you fast…
I get why Silvergate imploded. Why is this one going down?

Just a general thought/concern in regard to what Jerome Powell says. He‘s raising rates to attempt to attack demand and to bring inflation down. I was just thinking though—this process will eventually lead to layoffs—which will shrink the work force—which very well could reduce supply. He and a lot of the market experts claim that the biggest mistake they could make would be to stop raising rates too early and to allow inflation to sink back into the markets. My question is—wouldn’t raising them too much be far more catastrophic? If the fed raises them too much—supply will decrease along with demand—which isn‘t great for bringing prices down—and we’d have far more people unemployed—in a business environment where margins are compromised because of high rates. It honestly makes me feel like it would make it so that we kinda are where we are now—but just with a lot more people suffering economically. It really is starting to feel to me like the fed really needs to consider pausing a bit and seeing the effects of these rate increases as they sink in. I’m certainly not claiming they will do this—- but its starting to feel like them taking a slower and more surgical approach from this point forward is something that I would personally prefer to see.

I'm sure the market loves the latest budget proposal...
POTUS budgets are always thrown straight into the trash. It'll be ignored and the House will make up its own.

Life comes at you fast…
I get why Silvergate imploded. Why is this one going down?
This guy outlined the problem in January.

What he’s saying back then is what is happening now.

Users who are viewing this thread