What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (6 Viewers)

For smaller accounts (50K or less) looking for high yield/growth and hedges (think Roth or Traditional IRA’s) looking to set it and forget it (not looking to buy individual stocks)

ADX - Adams Equity Growth Fund (1.23% Yield)
DIAX - Dow 30 Overwrite Fund (7.4% Yield)
QQQX - Nasdaq 100 Overwrite Fund (8.65% Yield)
BXMX - S&P 500 Overwrite Fund (7.06% Yield)
JEPI - Premium Equity Dividend Fund (11.80% Yield)
RSP - Equal Weight S&P 500 ETF ( 1.73% Yield)
GCV - Gabelli Convertible Bond Fund (9.63%)
Thanks Todem.
Let's say someone has a large chunk of cash they were looking to put someplace safe for the next couple of years.... maybe collect some dividends ... vs. just letting it sit in a bank.
Would these funds make sense for that?
The way CD rates are now….if you truly want safe I would shop for a 4.75-5% 2 year cd.

I have not seen longer ones at those rates. Best I was able to get was 4.85% 2 years.

If you need safety and can get a guaranteed 4.75% for two years that is the way I would go.

I say that because you were specific “someplace safe” “couple of years”

I would not take any risk when I see the word safe and less than 3 years.
That is definitely something I would consider. The only thing I don't like is the 2 year commitment. If the market starts to turn around I'd want to jump in. I was thinking dividend paying funds would be easy to get out of when I was ready.

For smaller accounts (50K or less) looking for high yield/growth and hedges (think Roth or Traditional IRA’s) looking to set it and forget it (not looking to buy individual stocks)

Thanks Todem.
Let's say someone has a large chunk of cash they were looking to put someplace safe for the next couple of years.... maybe collect some dividends ... vs. just letting it sit in a bank.
The way CD rates are now….if you truly want safe I would shop for a 4.75-5% 2 year cd.

I have not seen longer ones at those rates. Best I was able to get was 4.85% 2 years.

If you need safety and can get a guaranteed 4.75% for two years that is the way I would go.

That is definitely something I would consider. The only thing I don't like is the 2 year commitment. If the market starts to turn around I'd want to jump in. I was thinking dividend paying funds would be easy to get out of when I was ready.
You want safe though. There are no guarantees in the market. If your looking to invest it then stick it in a 3.5-4% money market account. It will be liquid and you can buy into the market.

You’re just not being clear on what are the goals and purpose of these funds.

Thanks Todem.

Do you you want to get into the market now? I don’t know what you want….clearly explain what you are trying accomplish.

There is a no parking lot In equites. If your looking for a parking spot use a money market. Liquid…decent interest.

If you want to invest…..invest. And those ETF’s I gave are all excellent. Equal weight all of them.

Time in the market….not timing the market. Always remember that.

Always have at least a 3-5 year time horizon no matter what at a minimum.

If this money is ear marked to be for investing…..then invest it. Don’t try and time it.

Dollar cost average into the portfolio each month.

Last edited:
PFE long term looks very attractive at these levels.

Excellent pipeline to offset the current big drugs going generic in a couple of years. Also they are working on an all in one Covid/Flu RNA vaccine targeted for 2025/2026.

Healthy reliable dividend yield here and a low forward mutliple.

It has pulled back over 15% YTD we have owned this for a long time and are adding more here.

My 18-24 month price target is around $70
PFE CAGR with dividends over the last 25 ears - 2.5% per year. Ooof. I love most of your picks and have a big pile in stuff like UWMC, but PFE is historically a huge dog. I'm not betting against that history.

Looks like PFE just broke through a key support level in the mid-$41s (the 5-year chart makes it pretty clear).....if it bounces here might be a good buying opportunity. If not, could be look out below for a little while.

ETA: By no means am I a CeTA, but i do like to look at these historical support/resistance levels

Last edited:
PFE long term looks very attractive at these levels.

Excellent pipeline to offset the current big drugs going generic in a couple of years. Also they are working on an all in one Covid/Flu RNA vaccine targeted for 2025/2026.

Healthy reliable dividend yield here and a low forward mutliple.

It has pulled back over 15% YTD we have owned this for a long time and are adding more here.

My 18-24 month price target is around $70
PFE CAGR with dividends over the last 25 ears - 2.5% per year. Ooof. I love most of your picks and have a big pile in stuff like UWMC, but PFE is historically a huge dog. I'm not betting against that history.

Looks like PFE just broke through a key support level in the mid-$41s (the 5-year chart makes it pretty clear).....if it bounces here might be a good buying opportunity. If not, could be look out below for a little while.

ETA: By no means am I a CeTA, but i do like to look at these historical support/resistance levels
It’s right at where I consider oversold territory.

7.5 PE

I’m betting that Axon is off to an excellent start in developing one.
👍I've been wanting to add to my AXON position and just did today as it hangs around 7 month lows.
This thing (AXON) has been a shining beacon. What a freaking horse. Probably due for a pullback but talk about a stock that’s just ignoring everything.
AXON just keeps going. It’s insanely expensive though - been saying that for a couple years now. Rolled my covered calls on it today.

Feel like we’re going to get a rally here soon but we’re gonna get atleast one more big move down. We got some pretty ****ty data indicating we‘re in stagflation and the market pretty much brushed it off.

Last edited:
Just read an article on these 3 stocks and how they've taken a beaten and are great buys on the dip - Confluent (CFLT) down 74%, Data Dog (DDOG) down 60%, and DigitalOcean (DOCN) down 75%.

Thoughts?

Just read an article on these 3 stocks and how they've taken a beaten and are great buys on the dip - Confluent (CFLT) down 74%, Data Dog (DDOG) down 60%, and DigitalOcean (DOCN) down 75%.

Thoughts?
I think it was smart to post it here first before buying. These guys know know more and will probably have better options. scroll up for a bit for TODEM's list of buys. smarter play in general.

I also Like to look at the stock contest for picks

Thoughts?
I think it was smart to post it here first before buying. These guys know know more and will probably have better options. scroll up for a bit for TODEM's list of buys. smarter play in general.

I also Like to look at the stock contest for picks
Definitely have seen Todem's list, have been in conversations with him for about 2 years now and have certainly grabbed a bunch of his recs. However, been reading a bunch on these and was looking for some feedback. Thx

Reactions: KGB

Thoughts?
They’re all good companies. I’d rank them DDOG, DOCN, CFLT with DDOG a pretty strong number one.

The market still doesn’t really love high growth tech, and a lot of companies are talking about longer sales cycles for enterprise software with everyone preparing for a recession that may or may not happen. But, since nobody rings a bell to tell you when the market will return to being a bull, I can’t really say buy or don’t buy now as a blanket rule. If you’re going to buy any of these, I would scale in slowly (I do this all the time, anyway.) Like, if your average position size is $1,000, buy $100-$200 max and then wait for earnings. Then, if the reason you still like them is validated, add a little more.

SI getting pummeled on some combination of crypto and their earnings.
$SI just announced their deposits have plummeted and are cutting 40% off their staff, but have also announced everything is fine, don’t worry.
$SI have submitted a file delaying their 10-K while updating their “everything is fine, don’t worry” stance to “we might not exist soon.”
Down 57% today, surprised there was no discussion.

SI getting pummeled on some combination of crypto and their earnings.
$SI just announced their deposits have plummeted and are cutting 40% off their staff, but have also announced everything is fine, don’t worry.
$SI have submitted a file delaying their 10-K while updating their “everything is fine, don’t worry” stance to “we might not exist soon.”
Down 57% today, surprised there was no discussion.
SI was my pick in the 2023 contest & I posted a news blurb in the other thread (below). I don't think this one is coming back. I think the thesis of SI as a crypto <-> banking infrastructure play is pretty well pummelled at this point & unlikely to recover.

I haven't exited my small position in it, mainly because I seem to be stupidly stubborn in that way. I have managed to turn my $650 investment into about $150 in a couple of months. At least with a long position I can't go negative!

Question for the more seasoned investors here - what is your protocol for cutting bait on a losing position? (this is in a ROTH IRA, so no option for harvesting losses)

Silvergate's stock plunges as crypto bank warns it may go out of business​

12:05 pm ET March 2, 2023 (MarketWatch)

Print
By Steve Gelsi

Silvergate's stock loses 44% of its value as the company delays its financial statements after posting an unaudited loss of nearly $950 million in 2022

Silvergate Capital Corp.'s stock lost more than 40% of its value Thursday after the company delayed its financial statements and said it is evaluating its ability to continue operating for the next 12 months, as the crypto-asset bank scrambles to cover withdrawals tied to the meltdown of the crypto market.

Silvergate (SI) said in a filing that it expects to record further losses related to its impairment on its securities portfolio after selling additional debt securities to cover withdrawals.

Silvergate's stock dropped 44.5% to under $8 a share, a level not seen since March 2020, with at least one analyst downgrading the stock.

Separately, Coinbase Global Inc. (COIN) said it would stop sending payments to or receiving payments from Silvergate, "in light of recent developments and out of an abundance of caution," the company tweeted Thursday.

Coinbase plans to facilitate institutional client cash transactions with its other banking partners, the company tweeted Thursday.

Coinbase's stock fell nearly 8%, while shares of Signature Bank (SBNY), another financial-services company that works with digital currencies, fell 5.6%.

Silvergate disclosed in a filing an unaudited loss of $948.7 million in 2022, compared with net income of $75.5 million in 2021. It does not expect to be in a position to file audited results by the extension date of March 16, the company said.

"The company is evaluating the impact that these subsequent events have on its ability to continue as a going concern for the twelve months following the issuance of its financial statements," Silvergate said.

JPMorgan analyst Steven Alexopoulos downgraded Silvergate to underweight from neutral and withdrew a price target for the company.

Silvergate realized $886 million in losses from selling securities as crypto-related deposits fell 68% to $3.8 billion in its fourth quarter, the company announced in January.

"With the company having sold additional securities (beyond what was guided) at a loss in January/February, this reflects that the company is facing continued liquidity challenges," Alexopoulos said.

Wedbush analyst David Chiaverini cut his price target on Silvergate's stock to $9 from $13 and reiterated a neutral rating to reflect a "lack of near-term positive catalysts and [belief] the crypto market could remain suppressed with elevated interest rates for the next couple quarters" until a pause in rate increases by the U.S. Federal Reserve.

"[Silvergate] is managing to a smaller balance sheet to maintain regulatory capital ratios, which could impact its earnings power," he said.

Silvergate listed a number of accounting issues that it is working on, including:

Silvergate's independent registered public accounting firm is requesting details on such matters, and the company is responding to such requests.

Founded in 1988 and based in La Jolla, Calif., Silvergate provides banking and loan services with a focus on financial-infrastructure solutions and services for the digital-currency industry.

MarketWatch writer Frances Yue contributed to this report.

Also read: Feds coach banks on managing crypto liquidity crunches

-Steve Gelsi

Adding a lot of TLT right now with 10 year at 4%. And VCIT
That's an interesting choice. Why buy the very long end right now?
Inflation has peaked and rates will likely head down this year, especially if we have a recession which I believe we will. I like bonds more than stocks right now.
I hope you're right. My IEF early this year was awesome and has kicked me in the nuts since.

Inflation has peaked and rates will likely head down this year, especially if we have a recession which I believe we will. I like bonds more than stocks right now.
I hope you're right. My IEF early this year was awesome and has kicked me in the nuts since.
I like and own IEF as well. I still own stocks in case I am wrong, I just have trimmed a lot.
With interest rates this high and a PE of close to 18 on S&P 500 this is the lowest equity risk premium we have seen in over 15 years. Nothing wrong with short term bonds with yields up near 5% either, own those too. I just expect to see 10 year down around 3% by end of year which gives greater returns short term to longer duration.

I highly doubt rates head down this year…..think second half of 2024 for that to start happening. Best case is 1st quarter 2024 we start seeing a return to a more accommodative interest rate environment.

Higher for longer. They are not even done yet. IMO two more .25 increases are coming.

Interview with Mat Ishbia on Sports Illustrated regarding his purchase of the Phoenix Suns.

Interesting guy, and I can see why @Chadstroma likes him and invests in his company. Love his dig at the owner of Rocket Mortgage at the end.
If you like him here you have to hear him speak.... let me see if I can find something to link

Is he divorced or not?
I believe so. I remember hearing that he was getting or was divorced... I believe it was before UWM went public.

I highly doubt rates head down this year…..think second half of 2024 for that to start happening. Best case is 1st quarter 2024 we start seeing a return to a more accommodative interest rate environment.

Higher for longer. They are not even done yet. IMO two more .25 increases are coming.
I am talking long term rates, not short term.

I am talking long term rates, not short term.
Ahhh........yes...I agree with that. I think overweighting longer duration is a very smart play. 8-15 year duration.

Saw a recommendation/article that suggested selling PEO and buying XLE instead. Couldn't read the entire article to get why they're making this rec but was wondering what you guys thought, especially @Todem with PEO being on your list.

Anybody heard of TRKA? Some guy I follow on Twitter was hyping it up a few weeks ago so I bought $500 worth and it’s up about 45%. Just going to sell it and cash out this week but wondering if anybody else had any.

Thoughts on this high growth monthly dividend stock - MTR (Mesa Royalty Trust).

Mesa Royalty Trust (NYSE:MTR) is a Houston, Texas-based publicly traded royalty trust that was created in 1979 to own and collect royalties from oil and gas properties in the Hugoton natural gas fields located in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.

The trust has a 90% net profits interest in the properties, which means that it receives 90% of the net proceeds from the production of oil and gas on the properties. The trust receives these payments monthly and distributes them to its shareholders, who are entitled to receive a share of the trust’s income based on the number of shares they own. Mesa Royalty Trust’s (NYSE:MTR) trailing annual dividend yield stands at 9.10% as of February 28.

Monthly Dividend per Share: 15.82 cents

This stock is $17.03 per share, so if I bought 1,000 shares for $17,030, I would get 1,000 x 15.32 = $15,320 a month in dividend payments?!?

If I'm wrong, please explain. If I'm right, why isn't everyone doing this?!

Last edited:

Mesa Royalty Trust (NYSE:MTR) is a Houston, Texas-based publicly traded royalty trust that was created in 1979 to own and collect royalties from oil and gas properties in the Hugoton natural gas fields located in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.

The trust has a 90% net profits interest in the properties, which means that it receives 90% of the net proceeds from the production of oil and gas on the properties. The trust receives these payments monthly and distributes them to its shareholders, who are entitled to receive a share of the trust’s income based on the number of shares they own. Mesa Royalty Trust’s (NYSE:MTR) trailing annual dividend yield stands at 9.10% as of February 28.

This stock is $17.03 per share, so if I bought 1,000 shares for $17,030, I would get 1,000 x 15.32 = $15,320 a month in dividend payments?!?

Math isn't your strong suit. 1000 x .1582 = $158.20

Thank you for the fix. I took it as $15 dollars and 82 cents. It's really a little under $0.16. Makes much more sense.

Yeah, but I like the 15k/month dividend better, too.

You also have to file schedule c for these. It's a big pain. One of my biggest windfalls ever was buying one of these.

Yeah, but I like the 15k/month dividend better, too.
Hell yeah. Knew I was screwing something up.

Thank you for the fix. I took it as $15 dollars and 82 cents. It's really a little under $0.16. Makes much more sense.
But many fewer cents.

Anybody heard of TRKA? Some guy I follow on Twitter was hyping it up a few weeks ago so I bought $500 worth and it’s up about 45%. Just going to sell it and cash out this week but wondering if anybody else had any.
Percentage wise this has been my biggest short term hit ever and I have like, one really nice steak dinner for 2 on the line here. Sucks.

Saw everything go deep red and thought I wonder if Powell said something and well sure enough.
He's been clear and consistent which is all we can really ask, not his fault that the stock market often ignores him.

That said, today may be more of a reaction to that clown show we call Congress. Oof.

Regarding money market accounts that pay around 4%, can someone explain to me like I’m 5? Is this accessible inside of a Roth or just a cash/brokerage account? In Fidelity, for example, does money need transferred into a specific “money market” fund or if cash is just sitting in the account does it get this interest?
What are the limitations on buying and selling equities within the account and how that impacts any interest received?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread