What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (15 Viewers)

Have ~$50k to invest across a couple retirement accounts. Roth and non-Roth. Considering:

Palo Alto Networks
C3.ai
Marvell Tech

Also thinking about dropping it all into GOOG.

Welcome any thoughts.
What kind of realistic average annual return are you aiming for here.
10-12% with maybe a touch more upside.

As opposed to 10% with maybe 25% upside with risk of -10% downside.
Split it 50/50 between ADX and VOO
ADX done in my Roth. Thank you. Interesting fund. Wow what a dividend.

Have an S&P fund with Fidelity covering a decent chunk of my 401k so may want another option. May do more ADX.

Thanks again Todem.

I’ve been loving the roller coaster of NVDA lately, but I have such an appreciation for steady stocks that just chug along. ORLY, CPRT, LIN, RSG aren’t exciting names but always seem to be green.

DWAC shareholders are meeting next Friday to merge with TMTG to create stock ticker $DJT. Currently hovering around $40 a share, they are about to be hit with 80% dilution when the companies merge. I don't have a play anymore, have been enjoying buying the rumors and selling the news and making a nice little profit the last two years.

Any TSLA buyers at these levels?
The street is finally seeing......they are now just another car company. And an overpriced one at that.
And a car company with moderate to substantial exposure to China. China’s economy is far worse than being advertised imo—and secondly—I think that it’s hard to trust betting on the policies of the CCP long term.
Yes that too.....China is killing them.

Buy the dip on Adobe (ADBE)? Down 14% to 490 today while pundit price targets are holding at 640.

I'm tempted, as 1) they have that creative biz on lock down, so it gives them a "floor", and 2) I think they'll be a beneficiary of AI as they start continue to incorporate and monetize that across their portfolio. But I have recently bought the dips in both the PANW (I'm even) and SNOW (it fell another 10%), and if the tech trade does in fact stall out here there may be opportunities to buy even lower.

tl;dr hell if I know

Last edited:
Silver on a nice little run lately. Feel like it's been trading around the low 20s forever, but if it can hold $25, I wonder if $30 is possible. The last time it held $30 it got as high as $49 but that was back in 2011.

I might take a little swing on AGQ to see if this move has legs.

Buy the dip on Adobe (ADBE)? Down 14% to 490 today while pundit price targets are holding at 640.

I'm tempted, as 1) they have that creative biz on lock down, so it gives them a "floor", and 2) I think they'll be a beneficiary of AI as they start continue to incorporate and monetize that across their portfolio. But I have recently bought the dips in both the PANW (I'm even) and SNOW (it fell another 10%), and if the tech trade does in fact stall out here there may be opportunities to buy even lower.

tl;dr hell if I know
I think AI is the concern with them wrt the creative biz. I know they're playing in that space, but it doesn't mean it can't also seriously impact their business.

Looks like a Boeing plane that flew out of San Francisco landed in Oregon missing an external panel tonight. Its certainly too early to rule out a maintenance failure- but its certainly not a good look optically for Boeing.

Airbus FTW
Hours earlier, a Boeing 787 Dreamliner that was traveling from Sydney to Auckland experienced a technical issue that resulted in injuries to 50 passengers.

WTF was this about?

Looks like a Boeing plane that flew out of San Francisco landed in Oregon missing an external panel tonight. Its certainly too early to rule out a maintenance failure- but its certainly not a good look optically for Boeing.

Airbus FTW
Hours earlier, a Boeing 787 Dreamliner that was traveling from Sydney to Auckland experienced a technical issue that resulted in injuries to 50 passengers.

WTF was this about?
Evidently someone hit a button to move the pilot's seat forward, causing them to mash the stick and go into a steep dive momentarily. Enough to vault passengers to the ceiling.

When people suggest I put money in miners, I used to listen. Now I just punch them in the neck and light some money on fire. It saves time.

I do hope of we meet up this summer that you just hit me right after we shake hands and then we go drinking.

Hey gb GM, you have any thoughts on Paladium or Platinum (looking at PALL and SPPP)? Trying to figure out a few easy ways to play commodities (outside of energy stocks) without messing with futures or any of that stuff. I owned PDBC for a while a few years back and did ok.

I'm starting to think about de-risking a bit. VERY heavy into growth and tech, which was great for the last decade. But the closer I get to retirement age, the more that potential variability starts to weigh on my thinking. I really have no idea how to do this, though. It's not really me.

In addition to some other names I already own, I grabbed some TGT, EXC, and O. Been trickling a little money into NTRSO here and there, as well. Good, relatively safe yield at this point, with 10% upside. Maybe a little more if rates really start to get cut again. Started looking at a few other options...

... Aaaaaaaaand then I bought some SHOP and doubled down on MELI. :wall:

When people suggest I put money in miners, I used to listen. Now I just punch them in the neck and light some money on fire. It saves time.

I do hope of we meet up this summer that you just hit me right after we shake hands and then we go drinking.

Hey gb GM, you have any thoughts on Paladium or Platinum (looking at PALL and SPPP)? Trying to figure out a few easy ways to play commodities (outside of energy stocks) without messing with futures or any of that stuff. I owned PDBC for a while a few years back and did ok.

No, no thoughts there, sorry. My giant call to go heavy uranium coincided with the very top of the market so I'm worthless.

$CMG doing a 50-1 stock split. Yes, we know this doesn't actually change the value, Mr. Well Actually.
It doesn’t change the value at all but is typically a good indicator because in order to split the stock must have been doing well. CMG does seem quite expensive at this point.

$CMG doing a 50-1 stock split. Yes, we know this doesn't actually change the value, Mr. Well Actually.
It doesn’t change the value at all but is typically a good indicator because in order to split the stock must have been doing well. CMG does seem quite expensive at this point.

I was just being preemptive because there’s always someone that wants to temper excitement over splits. I like when stocks I own or want to own split because it gives me more options flexibility.

I'm starting to think about de-risking a bit. VERY heavy into growth and tech, which was great for the last decade. But the closer I get to retirement age, the more that potential variability starts to weigh on my thinking. I really have no idea how to do this, though. It's not really me.

In addition to some other names I already own, I grabbed some TGT, EXC, and O. Been trickling a little money into NTRSO here and there, as well. Good, relatively safe yield at this point, with 10% upside. Maybe a little more if rates really start to get cut again. Started looking at a few other options...

Why not just own the entire market with index funds. That's what I'm doing moving into retirement. Been moving out of individual stocks more and more over the past year. I don't need huge returns and I can do without the risk.

Why not just own the entire market with index funds. That's what I'm doing moving into retirement. Been moving out of individual stocks more and more over the past year. I don't need huge returns and I can do without the risk.
I have money that's indexed as well. That would certainly be the cleanest break, but when I say de-risking isn't really me, that's about overcoming my personality and my attitude towards investments. I'm REALLY not at a point where I'm ready to completely abandon individual names in favor of just indexing. In particular, there's the fact that when I do get into retirement, I suspect this is one of the ways I'll spend my time. I'd just end up selling those funds to move money back into stocks that interest me at that point. I just need better diversification rather than being so heavily concentrated in one area. But buying Target isn't exactly exciting.

But I do appreciate the thought and certainly welcome those of others, particularly those who have already been through it or are approaching it themselves.

But I do appreciate the thought and certainly welcome those of others, particularly those who have already been through it or are approaching it themselves.
I am 15 years out but always pictured my retirement with 50% safe index stuff and 50% daily trading, mainly because I love it, I’m kinda just addicted to following it every day but also I do well long-term with it. But, my wife and I will also have a pension so I probably won’t be as risk adverse.

I am 15 years out but always pictured my retirement with 50% safe index stuff and 50% daily trading, mainly because I love it, I’m kinda just addicted to following it every day but also I do well long-term with it. But, my wife and I will also have a pension so I probably won’t be as risk adverse.
Yeah, that helps a lot.

There's a universe in which we're done in about 5 years, give or take. There are lots of dependencies, but if we don't target it, we definitely won't make it. Shooters shoot. That's the timeline driving my thought process atm.

I thought I posted my thoughts previously (perhaps the I want to retire soon thread), but I can't seem to find anything so I'll try to give some brief thoughts here.
I am looking at retiring in ~2 years (I'll be 54-55, wife 49-50), so there will be a bridge to cross before tapping into retirement funds (yes, I understand that there are work arounds, but I try to keep everything simple because I'm not that smart).
I don't look to de-risk all that much (read above, not that smart), but I am trying to shift from growth stocks to income producing vehicles, and here is what I have been doing:
Brokerage account - each month I buy O and SCHD. I also buy the likes of JEPI, JEPQ and I look for opportunities in convertible preferreds paying below par. I am aiming for $5-$6K/month in income at time of retirement. Any additional funds I buy individual stocks that I think have some growth and income potential for the next 5-6 years (CVX, WMT, YUM) as well as stocks I think are undervalued and relatively safer bets (ADBE, ANET, MELI). But the bulk of my brokerage account does go to income. Full disclosure, I have rather large positions in other individual stocks in this account with massive gains that i'm putting off selling until needed for retirement money (NVDA, GOOG are the two biggest).
IRA's - ROTH is rolling with 4 stocks and one fund. This is my smallest account and I just earmark it as emergency really, I'd like this to pass through to heirs I guess. Traditional IRA is largest account and just AIP index fund every month. I do have about 20% in individual stocks, but I don't trade too much in this account.
401K - just auto pilot as well, it is all plowed into total market stock fund.

Closer I get to retirement, more money I put into brokerage account each month (house is paid off and only one child at home still so modest fixed costs). I have also put less into my 401K each year as a percentage as pay, and those additional funds go into brokerage account. (Wife maxes her 401K as well as HSA plan so that's a nice buffer to have down the line).

I can't vouch for the integrity or intelligence of my investing thesis, but it's a pretty significant hobby for me that i put a lot of time and effort into.

I'm all set with doing my own research ... trying to figure out which stocks to invest in.
I still own a boatload of AMZN and GOOGL ... along with a little NFLX, MSFT & AAPL but I've been putting most of my new money in Vanguard index funds and let the paid professionals figure out what to do with it.
So far, no regrets. I've had excellent returns on these compared to my stonks.
The fees are low and I see no downside ... other than the occasional missing on a huge run on some random pharmaceutical or AI company.

Yeah, it's an interesting difference in approach and mindset. I'm also shifting to adding more to non-retirement accounts, but I've always bought income-producing stocks in my retirement accounts to keep from paying the taxes on the income. My brokerage account has traditionally been stocks I intend to hold and watch grow long-term (AAPL, GOOGL, SQ, PYPL, etc).

I have money that's indexed as well. That would certainly be the cleanest break, but when I say de-risking isn't really me, that's about overcoming my personality and my attitude towards investments. I'm REALLY not at a point where I'm ready to completely abandon individual names in favor of just indexing. In particular, there's the fact that when I do get into retirement, I suspect this is one of the ways I'll spend my time. I'd just end up selling those funds to move money back into stocks that interest me at that point. I just need better diversification rather than being so heavily concentrated in one area. But buying Target isn't exactly exciting.
Sounds good. I'm definitely headed in a different direction. When I finally cut ties with my income source I don't want to be sitting there looking at my accounts during a correction wondering if I made mistakes and thinking I might run out of money. Just going to log on quarterly to rebalance and forget about it.

You can do index funds, and when feeling frothy, swap a certain percentage to 3x leveraged. Buy SPY and/or QQQ, and when you feel the market is good, swap a percentage of them to SPXL or TQQQ. When you feel it's risky, swap them back. It's pretty simple, and it certainly scratches that "big return" itch.

Note, I do this in an IRA so any tax implications of moving in and out of positions are a non-factor.

Sounds good. I'm definitely headed in a different direction. When I finally cut ties with my income source I don't want to be sitting there looking at my accounts during a correction wondering if I made mistakes and thinking I might run out of money. Just going to log on quarterly to rebalance and forget about it.
So hypothetically, if I would retire at 60 with $3 million, budgeting a million for my 60's, 70's and 80's, wouldn't I treat the money I need in my 80's different than the money I need in my 60's (i.e. could be a little more aggressive and weather some ups and downs if I will not be accessing it for another 20 years)?

ETA; Sorry, maybe this is better suited for the "I want to retire soon" thread.

Users who are viewing this thread