What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (11 Viewers)

That wooooosh you just heard was ALL the blood rushing to FC's ****.
:lmao:

They want to ban him from ever being CEO of a public company ever again. 

That actually scares me, he'll turn into an evil genius, holding Earth hostage with some magical laser ray from the moon.

Thanks for nothing ex-GB SLB. :hot:
Seriously, WTF.  I'm actually good friends with three HM reps in different parts of the country and talk to them frequently.  At our place you have to wait a week, minimum, just for a drawing.  Actually having the designers help with installs we're so behind.  I'm so stupid.

ETA I hope @General Malaise considers firing up his magic football league again next year.  I don't care much anymore, really, but miss the characters like you and @cosjobs

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn. I didn’t see that news. Stock’s down $37 I’m after hours.
I seriously hope this pig finally dies - debating on selling on the open or riding it out.  Prob will sell half to take profits then let the rest ride to see what happens.

So if I predict that Mueller lays the smack down on our President in late 2018 or early ‘19, and that the markets are not going to like that one bit, is the best way to play that 1) buying puts in the SPY, 2) buying TVIX, 3) moving into gold, 4) moving into cash? I suspect there are other good options and that maybe combining several of these makes sense. Thanks for your input.

So if I predict that Mueller lays the smack down on our President in late 2018 or early ‘19, and that the markets are not going to like that one bit, is the best way to play that 1) buying puts in the SPY, 2) buying TVIX, 3) moving into gold, 4) moving into cash? I suspect there are other good options and that maybe combining several of these makes sense. Thanks for your input.
Good question.  Cheetolini will probably walk, but unfortunately, not on the plank.

Buying tvix is a horrible idea. It is something meant to be held for hours. Not even days. 

International bond funds may make a small amount of sense. Much of what we are seeing is us equity juiced by the rising dollar.  If the apple cart gets turned over people will want other paper.  

Metals are a #### show.  Not convinced they are coupled with anything at this point. 

That being said I'm looking into buying spy and qqq puts. It's just pretty pricey. 

Buying tvix is a horrible idea. It is something meant to be held for hours. Not even days. 

International bond funds may make a small amount of sense. Much of what we are seeing is us equity juiced by the rising dollar.  If the apple cart gets turned over people will want other paper.  

Metals are a #### show.  Not convinced they are coupled with anything at this point. 

That being said I'm looking into buying spy and qqq puts. It's just pretty pricey. 
Long term SPY puts was my first thought but they are indeed pricey. Tells you they are in demand which provides some credence to my prediction.

I have been thinking a lot about “flights to safety” and I’m skeptical that gold fills that role anymore, too. Apple or Amazon might be the places where folks find comfort in tough times so I may buy SPY puts and also more AAPL and AMZN. I know nothing about international bond funds. 

What a nutty day - large caps up .35%, small caps down 1.6%.  I can't remember seeing a 2% spread like that before.

Long term SPY puts was my first thought but they are indeed pricey. Tells you they are in demand which provides some credence to my prediction.

I have been thinking a lot about “flights to safety” and I’m skeptical that gold fills that role anymore, too. Apple or Amazon might be the places where folks find comfort in tough times so I may buy SPY puts and also more AAPL and AMZN. I know nothing about international bond funds. 
I don’t like bumping my own posts, but my lingering question of “where do we go for safety?” has not really been replied to. Aside from cash, if folks stay in the market during a downturn, my thought is that AMZN and AAPL are relatively safer than most other companies. Maybe MSFT should be on that list. What other defensive plays should 2019 bears be considering?

pecorino said:
I don’t like bumping my own posts, but my lingering question of “where do we go for safety?” has not really been replied to. Aside from cash, if folks stay in the market during a downturn, my thought is that AMZN and AAPL are relatively safer than most other companies. Maybe MSFT should be on that list. What other defensive plays should 2019 bears be considering?
I used to feel this way, but upon further reading, they def are not. 

From an individual stock purchase point of view, they’ve run so hard, I can’t imagine people not booking profits in a downturn.

Much more important though, they’re all heavily tied to different ETFs, more so than a lot of other companies.

Crazy Tesla thought, maybe someone can debunk it here from a legal standpoint.

I’m convinced Elon Musk is a shyster, he  tweeted something to burn those who have the audacity to bet against him, that was the final confirmation for me. It’s been lie after lie after lie since I’ve followed this company, yet the market still gives him tons of rope. If there ever is a day of reckoning for this stock, investors will have had plenty of warnings that they outright ignored.

Is this possible?

Anyone following along has noticed angry customers who have paid in full or for a portion of their car, yet have not received delivery. Can he juice the numbers with that money as profit since Tesla is still in possession of the car? I’m not talking about the deposits here, I’m talking about those who have actually purchased a vehicle and have not received. At this juncture, while unlikely, I can’t put it past him. While the odds are against this, I’d think that would be the end of him.

In example, I paid $60k for a vehicle in September, Tesla still has the vehicle and doesn’t deliver until October - can he finagle a way to get that as $60k of profit on the books?

I’m convinced Elon Musk is a shyster, he  tweeted something to burn those who have the audacity to bet against him, that was the final confirmation for me. It’s been lie after lie after lie since I’ve followed this company, yet the market still gives him tons of rope. If there ever is a day of reckoning for this stock, investors will have had plenty of warnings that they outright ignored.

Is this possible?

Anyone following along has noticed angry customers who have paid in full or for a portion of their car, yet have not received delivery. Can he juice the numbers with that money as profit since Tesla is still in possession of the car? I’m not talking about the deposits here, I’m talking about those who have actually purchased a vehicle and have not received. At this juncture, while unlikely, I can’t put it past him. While the odds are against this, I’d think that would be the end of him.

In example, I paid $60k for a vehicle in September, Tesla still has the vehicle and doesn’t deliver until October - can he finagle a way to get that as $60k of profit on the books?
Nobody puts full cash down for delivery of a car that isn't delivered.  He has booked the deposits.  That's all they ask for.

Two forum posts or tweets?  I hardly see a trend, like some rouge line item on a quarterly report.  I would imagine you couldn't book that as EBITDA and pass an audit.  It would be booked into a payable account as a liability in that situation.  
Agree, but you can’t see a ton of Tesla fan boys plopping down the full amount? I mean, come on! 

Agree it is highly unlikely, but I don’t trust him, and this company def is not running standard accounting practices. They brought in a chief accountant who resigned after a month, one month... How many senior executives last less than 30 days at large publicly traded companies?

For the life of me, out of everything I’ve ever read and researched, Tesla makes the least sense to me. 

We have confirmation that the guy outright lied about having a buyout offer (take private, similar concept). Wtmf?

Is this possible?

A software company I worked for in the 1990s did this. Ship the boxed software to distributor/reseller, book the inventor as sold, report higher income. What doesn't sell, write off as a loss, but by then, new software goes out to the distributor/reseller. Rinse and repeat. Shady AF, in retrospect. Our CFO refused to take the company public. He got fired. Company was gone a couple years after IPO. CEO was a DB.

Looks like rates are getting ready for their next leg up. The curve is steepening, so I don’t think this current move is in response to the Fed, as the shorter end is much more sensitive there.

Think the real question is how the real economy reacts to higher borrowing costs and higher costs to service debt. I’ve said this for over a year, but my gut says at 5% on the 30 year mortgage, you might start to see downward pressure on home prices. Affordability is already #### and the  pendulum can swing quickly from a sellers market (which it has been for some time now) to a buyers market.

Economy is super strong right now, and I have no idea what/if anything tips it. Regardless, if rates do start moving aggressively north, can’t imagine the market digests the end of the free money era well.

Is this possible?

Better question would be ... how does this NOT show as profit.

$$$ are deposited and merchandise has not even been manufactured yet.

This will absolutely lessen profits as these cars are manufactured and delivered without additional funds coming in.

I'm poo-pooing the market is crashing talk.

picked up 10 more shares of amzn @ 1912 today

One thing is for sure ... one of us in here will be right about the market, ... and the other one will be holding a bunch of amzn stock.

:sadbanana:

... aaannnnd we're back.

amzn currently $2011

Tempted to sell for a quick $1000 profit and reload on the next dip.
So I ended up selling these 10 shares of amzn at $2009 ... and I felt kinda dirty doing it since it's been so good to me.

But locking in almost $1000 profit here after just over a week.

Had some regret when it hovered at $2020 for a spell but this weeks dip looks like I can get back in for a potential repeat.

Now if I can do that 5 more times I could buy 3 more shares of amzn.  :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread