What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (18 Viewers)

Actually having just an OK day. My 401ks will do well, but I have too many high flyers. Not that that has been a bad thing the past two months, but when the value stocks take flight, stuff like AMZN and ZM are almost bearish to a degree and the stocks that are at all time highs like TWLO and SHOP take breathers. Maybe I need to diversify a bit more in my trading accounts or use some cash for short term buys.

I always say focus on growing dividend companies with excellent balance sheets and wide moat. 
Todem- I’m a late comer to this thread and I appreciate you freely sharing your insights.  

In reference to your quoted advice, do you have any recommendations  to share?

Actually having just an OK day. My 401ks will do well, but I have too many high flyers. Not that that has been a bad thing the past two months, but when the value stocks take flight, stuff like AMZN and ZM are almost bearish to a degree and the stocks that are at all time highs like TWLO and SHOP take breathers. Maybe I need to diversify a bit more in my trading accounts or use some cash for short term buys.
Feels like amazon has been in a holding pattern because the economy is opening up, which is kind of hilarious. 

Disney carrying the day for me. GB that mouse. 

Dow is sitting about 15% off the all-time high. Powerful bear market rally. Liquidity is the fuel. 

QE back in full force. 

Again.....we are on the high side of the bear market bounce. Trading these fun little stressed stocks (BLMN, MGM, CCL) has been a blast. But 90% of my portfolio is in the master list for the long term. Don't get caught up trading too much is my advice. Know what you are willing to lose when you do this. 

We have a ways to go in 2020 and again......it is not a straight line....even in bull markets. Know what you own. Understand your risk tolerance. I always say focus on growing dividend companies with excellent balance sheets and wide moat. 

I will check back in here when/if we can trade BLMN/MGM again LOL. That stock has been a darling for my short term trading profits and it will pay for numerous vacations for the next several years when we feel good about travel again!!! CCL I am actually holding onto right now as I dipped my toes in it......and feel longer term it can be a huge winner once this is well behind us and everyone get’s back to living again and trust me.....crusies are a big part of that travel boom when it happens again. And CCL's balance sheet is the best of the big three.

Good luck everyone. Let’s all profit!!!
:tebow:

It is so great that you are willing to share your knowledge with all of us!

Todem- I’m a late comer to this thread and I appreciate you freely sharing your insights.  

In reference to your quoted advice, do you have any recommendations  to share?
Back on March 16th I posted this list of stocks I was actively buying between March 16th - March 23rd and added a few more of course along the way including BLMN which we traded several time already along with MGM, DIS, and CCL.

AAPL

AMZN

GOOGL

EMR

CSCO

T

EXC

LMT

PG

JPM

INTC

MSFT

GLPI

BA (we were buying aggresively at 115, 105 and 100)

BMY

TGT

VZ

PEO

BLMN (trading this)

TXRH (Traded this)

CCL

DAL - Have not bought this yet

FDX

DFS

PFE

PPL

If anyone bought all or most of these when I posted this.....your probably up at least 25% total easy...maybe more depending what days you bought. I have more positions in my master sleeve.....but these were the ones I focused on during the pandemic fire sale and for me will come to be known as the pandemonium pandemic bottom. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Feels like amazon has been in a holding pattern because the economy is opening up, which is kind of hilarious. 

Disney carrying the day for me. GB that mouse. 
I don’t mind, plenty of plain old mutual funds and most of what I own that’s red today has been on a tear lately. Only regret is selling a few things in April to build up some additional cash and not plowing that back in. There is no chance I thought most of my stocks would actually be well above where they were before the crash. TWLO is down 6% today and it was at $68 at the bottom. Even down today it’s at $195. It’s previous high before this run was $150. It’s up 30% over it’s previous all time high so can’t cry about that. Heck, AMZN is also up 15% from the February all time highs. It is funny that it’s turned into a defensive stock. It’s one of the most epic growth stories of all time and now it’s like a bearish stock.

@Todem What is your current cash position?  Are we raising cash again for the next dip?
I deployed some on JPM, XOM, BLMN, MGM and CCL in the last 6.5% sell off before this rally. So we are sitting in about 17% after the BLMN sale today. I may sell a little more to get to 20% max. 20% is the max I would sit in cash now. It will be good to take advantage of the minor sell offs yet to come. Don’t be surprised to see  a 10% sell of from here. 

Par for the course in this type of environment. 

Anyone here dabble in renewable energy stocks? I’m looking to make some long-term investments in the industry, currently looking into BEP, TPIC, VSLR, and REGI. Anyone have some other good names?

I deployed some on JPM, XOM, BLMN, MGM and CCL in the last 6.5% sell off before this rally. So we are sitting in about 17% after the BLMN sale today. I may sell a little more to get to 20% max. 20% is the max I would sit in cash now. It will be good to take advantage of the minor sell offs yet to come. Don’t be surprised to see  a 10% sell of from here. 

I’m at about 15% now and itching for a little dip. I should have bought a week ago Thursday but this damn job always seems to mess up my timing. That early dip on the 14th was a great one and it was over before I got out of some meetings. I’m not a trader but definitely missed a few.

Anyone here dabble in renewable energy stocks? I’m looking to make some long-term investments in the industry, currently looking into BEP, TPIC, VSLR, and REGI. Anyone have some other good names?
I own SEDG and it’s had some craziness the last couple months. Bought at $95 in January, was a rocket a month later over $140 before the crash halved that and it’s back at $136 right now. Plan to keep it for a few years because the financials have been solid (pre-CV). Should hold up even during the next couple quarters and resume.

Folks in the Mancini twitter feed are saying we could go straight to 3100 or retrace to 2970....... basicaly a bunch of market people doing a collective shrug.  New rules need to be written now that we are out of the channel of the past month.

im holding closer to 45% cash after taking profits today.  Happy to let the rest run to 3100 or buy back in the 29’s.

I haven't bought any yet, but I've had HASI on my watch-list for a while. More of a dividend play since it's a REIT but there's some growth potential there, too. 

I'm not sure about individual companies but I've kept a decent amount in QCLN (clean energy ETF) for a while.  

Thanks.  Good to have the reassurance of a pro.

I came into today at 18% and have sold to raise that to 25%.  While that may be a tad high, I had too many winners today up around 10% today.  Usually when that happens, I can buy back in lower.  I suspect some of them will drop to up 5% on the day and I can add back half of what I sold to lower that cash %.

I have a tough time selling when up

I bought MAR 4/3/20 at 58.99 been lucky and it's up to 95.28 as of today. How does one determine when to take profit and invest in something else?
Didn't someone recently post a saying about this? Was it Todem? 

Something about "you can never lose money selling a winner."? 

If it wasn't someone in here, it was either Mancini, Revshark or Helene Meisler.

I held BEP for a while because of that sweet sweet dividend.  But then I got impatient and sold at 30ish.  It's at 50 today and man, what a dope I am. 

If it wasn't someone in here, it was either Mancini, Revshark or Helene Meisler.
Makes sense. Not complaining on the winners but I almost get  peralised when they get high and I don't do anything with them.

Not trying to start an argument but I don’t think that’s great advice. You can lose money if you sell a stock and buy something else that loses money. You can put your money in a savings count and you won’t lose money. You can sell a stock too early and miss out on gains.

How does one determine when to take profit and invest in something else?
As long as there are no serious tax ramifications, sell when you think a stock is more likely to go down than up.  Would you buy the stock if you didn't already own it?  A person's psychological makeup can make them make imprudent decisions.  I had an uncle who bought Cisco stock early on.  He held it all the way up and then he held it all the way down.  People kept telling him to sell because the stock market was bound to plummet but he just couldn't let go of something that had done him so well.

As long as there are no serious tax ramifications, sell when you think a stock is more likely to go down than up.  Would you buy the stock if you didn't already own it?  A person's psychological makeup can make them make imprudent decisions.  I had an uncle who bought Cisco stock early on.  He held it all the way up and then he held it all the way down.  People kept telling him to sell because the stock market was bound to plummet but he just couldn't let go of something that had done him so well.
I'm having the same dilemma with my MSFT, AAPL, GOOGL and FB stocks.  They've done well for me and I am finding it difficult to sell some of them to free up cash for other short-term plays.  I guess it's like drafting a player and having him do great for you for 7-8 weeks and then having to decide whether or not to trade him for a playoff run.  You have a good feeling that the players you get back will be more valuable for you, but its so tough to let go of one of your picks/babies.  Such a mind-F....need to take emotion out of it.

JPM is really getting it done today.  I wished I had bought more but I bought just little enough I wouldn't be tempted to flip it.  My plan is a longer term hold on that one.  I should add the JPM purchase was totally funded by MGM and BLMN profits.

Not trying to start an argument but I don’t think that’s great advice. You can lose money if you sell a stock and buy something else that loses money. You can put your money in a savings count and you won’t lose money. You can sell a stock too early and miss out on gains.
I built a large portion of my own personal portfolio over time (from 1987-1999) selling half when I hit 100% or more in gains and finding another great company to invest in. Not trade. Invest. Have I had some losers over the 30 plus years I have been in the market? Yeah of course. But my batting average has been very high (hence why I do this for a living). 

When you sell half....after earning  100% or more in gains....you own it for free the rest of your life. And the stock continues to rise.....and doubles again...and again with total return taking into consideration dividends reinvesting too. 

I have not missed out on future gains at all. What I did was take my original risk off the table, parlayed that to a new position in another company....and the rest is history. 

My grandfather and my father sat me down at 12 years old and taught me this. It has been the greatest advice I ever got.....and I give the same advice to my clients....and to you folks here. Difference is my clients have been paying me for it.....your getting free advice here.

Do with it what ever you want. 

But this is called risk mitigation and compounding returns an building a portfolio on profits (and of course any money you keep contributing yourself) But when I was 17 years old I was not making an income. I was a high school student playing ball. And by the time I was 25 years old I built a portfolio from 25K (my seed money was all the bar-mitzvah money I got, my dad turned it over to me and said this is it son you will never get another gift like this so be smart with it) to 100K doing exactly what I just told you. And of course we are far higher since 1995. Average annual of over 10% total return net of taxes in my non IRA account.  You can do the math from that.

Stock picking of course is the key. But it is something I am good at fortunately. 

And I will say it again. I never met someone go broke taking profits. It is what you do with the profits next that determines your fate. Invest wisely. Not recklessly.

You ask yourself "Would you buy the stock at the current price?" right ?
What the matter with holding cash?

it it’s time to sell a position it’s time.  Don’t have to force yourself into a new posistion if the market is bearish.  

If the overall market is still bullish and it’s time to sell a particular posistion instead of cash you can put it into SPY as an alternative to cash.

Users who are viewing this thread