What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (16 Viewers)

Love the CNN caption "trump speaks after he suggests shooting looters"

Was all cash in my brokerage heading into today.  Bought several things down 3-4%.  Hoping Trump doesnt declare war or something.  

What a horrible interview.  What was his goal in giving the interview?  I don't think he even mentioned COVID-19.  smh
Someone on a message board said that the video was posted today but the video is from last fall.  It would explain the worse video quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
File under the category of blind squirrel- NERV had a failed phase 3 trial, and they were down bigly ($5.00 down to $1.81) this morning. Took a flyer and bought in at $2.52, figuring I'd hold for a few days and hope for a correction. Happened to log onto Robinhood, and sold at $3.61. 

My only winner right now is AG. Silver. Who'd a thunk it.
I'm having a really nice day after trailing the last few. I'm like the anti-Dow now. ZS and ZM are about 1/3 of my gains. Those two have been doing so well since October that they are now big holdings.

Jennifer Jacobs

@JenniferJJacobs

Trump won't announce the US is quitting the China trade deal, I'm told. Pompeo and Mnuchin both expected to be at the Rose Garden press conference.

2:07 PM · May 29, 2020·Twitter for iPad

Jennifer Jacobs

@JenniferJJacobs

Trump won't announce the US is quitting the China trade deal, I'm told. Pompeo and Mnuchin both expected to be at the Rose Garden press conference.

2:07 PM · May 29, 2020·Twitter for iPad
Will they be holding cattle prods just in case?

New Nader video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf5tQpXLuCY

EDIT: video was posted today but might be from last fall
Just watched the beginning of this and have some questions/comments:

-Nader is painful to watch.

-He mentions that Cytodyn bought PRO140 (or whatever the leronlimab molecule is called) from Progenics.  Is this common in pharma?  Why would Progenics sell a winning drug?  (I also have to reach out to my mom's friend's son who is a former exec at Progenics.  Probably haven't seen/talked to the guy in 20+ years but would be interesting to hear his thoughts on leronlimab).

Wow. He came out swinging pretty hard. The markets are reacting.  If this is not appropriate for this thread--I will delete. I don't want to ruffle any feathers. 

Nice little TZA run there gave me a 2nd chance to close out after not doing it earlier.  Not waiting for a 3rd.  

Interesting little boomerang for the market there.  Reacted very negatively at the beginning of his speech---but he didn't really make any crazy announcements by the end of the speech--and the market trampolined back.   Not sure how to digest that moving forward.  

Just wanted the beginning of this and have some questions/comments:

-Nader is painful to watch.

-He mentions that Cytodyn bought PRO140 (or whatever the leronlimab molecule is called) from Progenics.  Is this common in pharma?  Why would Progenics sell a winning drug?  (I also have to reach out to my mom's friend's son who is a former exec at Progenics.  Probably haven't seen/talked to the guy in 20+ years but would be interesting to hear his thoughts on leronlimab).
Progenics wanted to concentrate on their cancer drugs and PRO 140 was an HIV drug.  Ironically, leronlimab's best indication might be cancer.

Trump must have killed it because everything on my screen went from Red to Green.
He came out strong--announced the US was withdrawing support for the WHO.  Kinda went through a checklist of all of China's wrongdoings.  It felt like he was going to possibly drop a hammer sanction and tariff-wise--but kinda finished his speech with no real major policy announcements aside from the WHO thing.  Symbolically his speech could draw some reaction from the Chinese--but in regards to the markets (as I want to keep things in line with the thread)--I found it hard to figure out.  

NERV getting close to $4
Saw that. I'm ok with the gains I took, considering the fact that I'm the equivalent of a 5yr old with a loaded weapon.

ARVN is my new hotness. RSI is showing way oversold today, but I couldn't find any news to justify it. Bought in at $32.50, hoping for a Monday morning bump.

He came out strong--announced the US was withdrawing support for the WHO.  Kinda went through a checklist of all of China's wrongdoings.  It felt like he was going to possibly drop a hammer sanction and tariff-wise--but kinda finished his speech with no real major policy announcements aside from the WHO thing.  Symbolically his speech could draw some reaction from the Chinese--but in regards to the markets (as I want to keep things in line with the thread)--I found it hard to figure out.  
Big nothing burger. The whole speech was designed to make it look like he's tough on China without actually getting tough on them. I mean what did he do? Withdraw from the WHO and not recognize HK's independency? I doubt China cares that much about it. In fact, they probably welcome it. They can be more influential with the WHO and now they can take of HK and nobody will do anything about it. 

Not to turn it too political but it's impossible to at least not acknowledge the politics at play. It's a re-election year. From an economic standpoint, all Trump has is the stock market. He's going to do his best to help the stock market pull the rest of the economy. So he won't do anything as brazen as call for a trade war during market hours. I am of the belief that what the administration does and says are usually far apart. So I have to think they'll be pressuring China behind the scenes as well as pushing companies to move back. But he's going to walk the fine line of doing that without startling the markets. Of course, China knows that. Hence why they crossed his 'red line' on HK and this is all they got. 

The DKNG streaming play was out of nowhere, but not surprising.

They have big time connections to the media and finance worlds.   Wouldn't be surprised to see them to continue to go in that direction.   The comparisons to PENN are unfounded IMHO.  DKNG has a much higher ceiling IMHO.

Big nothing burger. The whole speech was designed to make it look like he's tough on China without actually getting tough on them. I mean what did he do? Withdraw from the WHO and not recognize HK's independency? I doubt China cares that much about it. In fact, they probably welcome it. They can be more influential with the WHO and now they can take of HK and nobody will do anything about it. 

Not to turn it too political but it's impossible to at least not acknowledge the politics at play. It's a re-election year. From an economic standpoint, all Trump has is the stock market. He's going to do his best to help the stock market pull the rest of the economy. So he won't do anything as brazen as call for a trade war during market hours. I am of the belief that what the administration does and says are usually far apart. So I have to think they'll be pressuring China behind the scenes as well as pushing companies to move back. But he's going to walk the fine line of doing that without startling the markets. Of course, China knows that. Hence why they crossed his 'red line' on HK and this is all they got. 
This does make sense.  And @TripItUp also kinda summed things up well--"china is important to our markets".   It certainly had a symbolic toughness to it--without much action of toughness--which is probably what he was hoping to accomplish.   The lack of major action helped the market--and the symbolic toughness probably helped his base.    

My only concern is this--China has not responded all that well to tough symbolism.   The Daryl Morey thing kinda stands out to me.   I guess there is a small chance that they could over react to the tough words--but if they don't--I think your nothing burger thing probably applies. 

Anyone want to buy some NERV? ... I've got plenty to spare here.

Trading halted for the 3rd time ... likely done for the day at $4.50.

I'm guessing it settle at around $2 or so next week.

Sold puts at $10's, $7.50's ... lots of $5's and a bunch of $2.50's

This one is gonna sting. Sorry to those that followed me.

Bout the worst possible outcome ... other than them going bankrupt .. which is still on the table.

If they can stay afloat, 2 more drugs in the pipeline ... so maybe I can recoup a little down the road.
If my math is correct, my break even is at $4.23.

Stock came back a little today and has settled at $3.70

if she can come back another .50 my losses will be minimal. Still stinks tho.

My break even is a little higher, I believe around 5, but not as many options as you. I’ll be happy to get out with a minimal loss, but after some other bad trades recently, I was hoping this one was my golden ticket out of the red!

My break even is a little higher, I believe around 5, but not as many options as you. I’ll be happy to get out with a minimal loss, but after some other bad trades recently, I was hoping this one was my golden ticket out of the red!
My break even is $4.60. I feel better this afternoon than this morning. $3.70 versus $2.50 makes for a huge difference. 50% for you mathy folks. 

Dipped into PEP near the end of day. Long term like most of what I pick, only did about 15% a position. Still have a lot of cash but portfolio is coming back into form. Will start back into CDW on Monday.

IRA Portfolio in order of weight:

APPL

MSFT

V

ABT

CRM

JPM

SE

ATVI

SLQT

PEP

NFLX

CDW (Monday, will probably start out as much as half a position)

Gonna add 2 more stocks and then I’ll have a little gambling money. 401K is all mutual funds and I just leave them be basically.

When you guys say you are opening a position and start with a quarter or half.........

Please explain.  What is "a position"?  Do you invest the same amount of money in each stonk when you invest in a "full" position?

Say you dont own DFS and wanted to start a position today when it was down 3%.  Explain your process.  How much do you start with?  How much do you add if it goes down?  What if it goes up right away?

When you guys say you are opening a position and start with a quarter or half.........

Please explain.  What is "a position"?  Do you invest the same amount of money in each stonk when you invest in a "full" position?

Say you dont own DFS and wanted to start a position today when it was down 3%.  Explain your process.  How much do you start with?  How much do you add if it goes down?  What if it goes up right away?
In many cases, the goal may be to own 100 shares. Instead of buying them all at once, you might buy 25 first and then more from there. For example, I liked BA when it got to 200 (it had traded around 300 pre-Covid). I bought 35 shares at 200. When it went to 150, I bought 35 more and then around 120, I grabbed the last 30. I don’t know if it is always a good practice, but in my example, I’m glad I proceeded slowly.

For me, a full position is about 10% of my account.  I only trade in my brokerage and ROTH, but primarily in my brokerage because thats the only place I can get significant funds in and out.

The other day I started with half a position of TGT.  If my brokerage account is 200K, I bought 10K worth of TGT.  

My thought process is, IF I'm wrong, which is quite often and the stock falls to a better price and I still like it, I will fill in with more shares.  IF I'm right, well my porftolio has grown, so I'm still happy.  

I only want to track about 10-15 stocks, and I don't want to be too overweight in any stock in particular as I want to be diversified.

Right now, only 2 stocks are over 10% of my portfolio - GOOG and WMT.  I have a lot of GOOG.  GB GOOG.

$4.08 after hours. You’re within shouting distance of break even. You might want to consider buying some of your puts back, especially the 5s which will be cheapest. Depends how much you want to gamble. Fingers crossed that it just gets better from here. What a day. 

My break even is $4.60. I feel better this afternoon than this morning. $3.70 versus $2.50 makes for a huge difference. 50% for you mathy folks. 
So do you put a limit order in to buy to close and see if it’ll hit or just let it ride out and likely own the shares at the end?

For me, a full position is about 10% of my account.  I only trade in my brokerage and ROTH, but primarily in my brokerage because thats the only place I can get significant funds in and out.

The other day I started with half a position of TGT.  If my brokerage account is 200K, I bought 10K worth of TGT.  

My thought process is, IF I'm wrong, which is quite often and the stock falls to a better price and I still like it, I will fill in with more shares.  IF I'm right, well my porftolio has grown, so I'm still happy.  

I only want to track about 10-15 stocks, and I don't want to be too overweight in any stock in particular as I want to be diversified.

Right now, only 2 stocks are over 10% of my portfolio - GOOG and WMT.  I have a lot of GOOG.  GB GOOG.
This perspective is helpful to me.  I find my current portfolio has way too many individual stocks spread between my/wife’s Roth, ira, individual and brokerage 401k.  It is definitely hard to track and honestly when you only have 1-2k in an individual stock, if it goes up 10% you look at it and don’t bother considering a sale since it’s only 100-200 bucks profit.  So I essentially end up holding them all longer term.

Users who are viewing this thread