What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (11 Viewers)

So do you put a limit order in to buy to close and see if it’ll hit or just let it ride out and likely own the shares at the end?
I wasn't the one quoted ... but my plan at this point is to ride it out, have the stocks put to me, and then sell covered calls like a sombiznatch till I come out on top.

If this price holds I'll need to make 0.25 on a call to come out of this mess unscathed. Might even make a couple of bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
This perspective is helpful to me.  I find my current portfolio has way too many individual stocks spread between my/wife’s Roth, ira, individual and brokerage 401k.  It is definitely hard to track and honestly when you only have 1-2k in an individual stock, if it goes up 10% you look at it and don’t bother considering a sale since it’s only 100-200 bucks profit.  So I essentially end up holding them all longer term.

I’ve only got 4 stocks that I’ve got less than $5k in for that reason. One is LK (own 100 shares) so we can ignore that. The other 3, honestly were during the bottom in March and I should have followed my normal practice of $5-10k because they are up a ton (over 100% combined). I think I was worried there was still more downside potential so I split up 1 normal buy into 3.

It’s not for everyone but I do agree that buying a really small position sometimes isn’t worth the effort. That’s said, I think from what I’ve read and seen, having 20-30 stocks is smart. Having just a few could make you a ton, but it can also blow you up in one day.

Also, I am not a day trader although I probably should be based on some of the tips and cash available. I’m just not experienced enough with all the limit orders and feel like stocks have been moving so much that I don’t want to get boned because I was in meetings and missed a 10% move.

Any thoughts on Spotify? They just signed Joe Rogan. Along with Netflix it's the only other subscription service I have. 

Any believe in it long term?

ghostguy123 said:
When you guys say you are opening a position and start with a quarter or half.........

Please explain.  What is "a position"?  Do you invest the same amount of money in each stonk when you invest in a "full" position?

Say you dont own DFS and wanted to start a position today when it was down 3%.  Explain your process.  How much do you start with?  How much do you add if it goes down?  What if it goes up right away?
I’m sure it varies by person, but I want to invest X amount into a new position based on my overall portfolio. I try to stay basically balanced but I’m just going to have more of some than others. But let’s say I want a new position to be 10k. If I like the stock but am concerned about momentum, I might just throw in 2k first and see what happens. I just don’t buy the whole position at once. Then I add if it goes whatever percentage either way it goes, which varies by stock. Like SE I’m fully prepared for it to drop into the 60’s because it’s been so hot, but I started small in case I’m wrong so I at least had some. I have general rules but parameters vary by the stock itself

What a horrible interview.  What was his goal in giving the interview?  I don't think he even mentioned COVID-19.  smh
You guys are misled. This interview was from last year. The interview was done by Biotech Trader and they acknowledged that it is old. Explains why no mention of Covid. Not sure why it was dated as of this May. 

Interesting to me from the interview was that NP mentions the BLA submission for HIV would be finished in September, which would be September of last year. As we know it took more than a half year after September 2019 to accomplish that. It explains to me why the BLA submission was so critical to the company's and NP's credibility. Again fosters the sense that NP is overly optimistic about timelines

Also NP talks about publication of a scientific article that would bolster their approach of txing HIV and increase public awareness of CYDY and leronlimab. Similar to where we are now re: Covid.

As an investor I liked that he compared the company to Gilead. He mentioned that Gilead was basically present CYDY from 1992 to 1997 due to low public awareness, development and SP but then went on a roll. He believed that something similar was going to happen to CYDY in a year.

Just seems to be so many positives in the future of the company. I'm in the process of freeing up additional cash to increase my holdings.

I can honestly say I’ve never seen a less impressive CEO. 
He's definitely towards the top of inept CEO's. Thanks to @chet I got into some cydy when it was really cheap and I unloaded some along the way to where I'm basically playing with the house's money at this point.  Keep in mind--  I kept my investment in it really small--so it's not like my opinion really matters relative to the rest of you guys that are heavily invested in it. With that said--I want to get back in and own more CYDY but NP's ineptitude is what is keeping me out.   For reasons that fantasycurse and chet know--I'm not a believer in Remdesivir medically against covid.   Perhaps it might help slightly in some cases--but it has some really bad side effects--and without going into detail--I think there are behind the scenes reasons why our government was quick to endorse it.  Even with that endorsement--I think it's clear that we are thirsty for other therapeutics and vaccine candidates --and Leronlimab has shown some fantastic potential.  To me--in the world that our government seems to be throwing money and opportunity to any decent pharma company with a potential vaccine/therapeutic--I find it insane that leronlimab isn't getting far more exposure than it is now and thats a direct indictment on NP.

This is the quandry--how often does a good product succeed under bad leadership? I personally don't think that happens very often. In fact--I think the opposite. I think that bad products can be made successful under good leadership.  NP has to have some self awareness and let go of the reigns.  The company needs a different and more eloquent person as the front man.  His leadership is inhibiting the company—their product isn’t..  However--I have a sneaking suspicion that NP might be old school Persian.  I'm over half Persian myself so I'm speaking from experience--old school Persian people tend to be very stubborn.  If he could replace that stubborness with some self awareness-I really think this company has upside.  The problem is that is a big "if".  

My break even is a little higher, I believe around 5, but not as many options as you. I’ll be happy to get out with a minimal loss, but after some other bad trades recently, I was hoping this one was my golden ticket out of the red!

pecorino said:
My break even is $4.60. I feel better this afternoon than this morning. $3.70 versus $2.50 makes for a huge difference. 50% for you mathy folks. 

$5.48 for me 😮

pecorino said:
$4.08 after hours. You’re within shouting distance of break even. You might want to consider buying some of your puts back, especially the 5s which will be cheapest. Depends how much you want to gamble. Fingers crossed that it just gets better from here. What a day. 
If you can get out without a loss... or just a small loss, I'm not going to argue that strategy.... but hear me out ...

If the stocks are put to you ...  and your break even was less than $5,  ... the $5 calls are advertised for 0.60 right now.

If the stock price holds at $4.10 and the $5 call price holds at .60, .... you sell the call, collect .60 per share, .... now your break even is .60 less.

If the stocks get "called" away, you're a winner at $5 per share plus your .60 premium.

If the stocks don't get called away, do it again the next month, collect another .60 per share.

There is a chance you loose if the stock price goes down ... but seems that it's already at bottom imo.

I think the fact that he’s 85% cash and bonds says a lot. Many people have posted in here about taking the high road yet subconsciously or consciously their motivation is the same. In this case he said he thinks (wants) the market will hit a new bottom to get back in lower. People say they don’t have an agenda but when you read between the lines they do.

It’s a stick thread that’s what we are discussing. Pretty sure I don’t think we want people to die. Heck a large percentage of this thread is about finding cures. It’s not wrong to hope for that and to hope to benefit from it.
I had a response typed out 40 days ago, but when I went to post, it was delayed due to suspension. Yep, 40 days for posting the comparison between life and economy. Like Moses, I've returned from the desert (or my garden) after wandering for 40 days and 40 nights.

My response was that you haven't been reading my comments. I'm retired. I can live comfortably the rest of my life on a 4% return. Which means that my goal is to preserve what I have, not hit home runs. I posted early on that I moved to cash at the end of January. The goal was/is to DCA back in very slowly. I don't care if the market goes up or down. I care about the bottom line. Other posters have said the same thing in the last 40 days. Even @Todem was thinking we could retest March lows. I didn't see anyone questioning his motives. It took very little risk to achieve 4% YTD. 

TL:DR. Not everyone has the same investment strategy or need. 

ghostguy123 said:
When you guys say you are opening a position and start with a quarter or half.........

Please explain.  What is "a position"?  Do you invest the same amount of money in each stonk when you invest in a "full" position?

Say you dont own DFS and wanted to start a position today when it was down 3%.  Explain your process.  How much do you start with?  How much do you add if it goes down?  What if it goes up right away?
My approach is different from most here.  I don't mind tracking 30 stocks as they are all in one place and it takes 15 seconds to scan fidelity's page to "track" them.  With Amazon , Google, CYDY, and cash taking up 50% of my portfolio, the positions in the the other 27 stocks are small.  Lately I've been investing in a sector that seems like a value.  For instance I have MRO, XOM, WTI, PEO, and Chevron.  If one moves up more than then rest in a day for some reason, I'll sell some shares and move it into one of the others.  If one is down 5% and the others aren't, I'll deploy some cash and acquire some. 

II know I son't want DFS to be more than 5% of my portfolio.  I might enter at a 1% stake.  If it goes down, I'll add another 1.5%, and then another 2% if it drops lower.  From there I'll usually stop, although in the case of Blooming last time, I bought more and ended up at 10% of my portfolio.  For me, this was an uncomfortably large position to hold.  If the case of DFS, when I'm ready to invest, I'll look to see if I like another stock like SYF and spread that initial buy between the two.

If it's a stock like several of the biotech I had where I'll never own more than a 1% position, I'll sell half after a 50% gain, a quarter after 100%, and then the rest after 200% if it ever gets there.  If it's a normal stock like WFC where I'm comfortable with a 5% position, I'll start taking profits as early as 20%.  If I'm say trading, I'll exit with only only a 10% gain.

A lot of this strategy is based on the belief that guys around here like Todem are pretty damn smart and this market is going to have a pull back.  I don't mind taking profits since I want to maintain my cash position and the only way to do that if you are buying stocks is to always be selling some too.  When the time comes and I fell like I want to to be 100% invested in stocks this will change where I'll hold my stocks for much longer before selling.

He's definitely towards the top of inept CEO's. Thanks to @chet I got into some cydy when it was really cheap and I unloaded some along the way to where I'm basically playing with the house's money at this point.  Keep in mind--  I kept my investment in it really small--so it's not like my opinion really matters relative to the rest of you guys that are heavily invested in it. With that said--I want to get back in and own more CYDY but NP's ineptitude is what is keeping me out.   For reasons that fantasycurse and chet know--I'm not a believer in Remdesivir medically against covid.   Perhaps it might help slightly in some cases--but it has some really bad side effects--and without going into detail--I think there are behind the scenes reasons why our government was quick to endorse it.  Even with that endorsement--I think it's clear that we are thirsty for other therapeutics and vaccine candidates --and Leronlimab has shown some fantastic potential.  To me--in the world that our government seems to be throwing money and opportunity to any decent pharma company with a potential vaccine/therapeutic--I find it insane that leronlimab isn't getting far more exposure than it is now and thats a direct indictment on NP.

This is the quandry--how often does a good product succeed under bad leadership? I personally don't think that happens very often. In fact--I think the opposite. I think that bad products can be made successful under good leadership.  NP has to have some self awareness and let go of the reigns.  The company needs a different and more eloquent person as the front man.  His leadership is inhibiting the company—their product isn’t..  However--I have a sneaking suspicion that NP might be old school Persian.  I'm over half Persian myself so I'm speaking from experience--old school Persian people tend to be very stubborn.  If he could replace that stubborness with some self awareness-I really think this company has upside.  The problem is that it's a big "if".  
Great post. Thanks. 

I had a response typed out 40 days ago, but when I went to post, it was delayed due to suspension. Yep, 40 days for posting the comparison between life and economy. Like Moses, I've returned from the desert (or my garden) after wandering for 40 days and 40 nights.

My response was that you haven't been reading my comments. I'm retired. I can live comfortably the rest of my life on a 4% return. Which means that my goal is to preserve what I have, not hit home runs. I posted early on that I moved to cash at the end of January. The goal was/is to DCA back in very slowly. I don't care if the market goes up or down. I care about the bottom line. Other posters have said the same thing in the last 40 days. Even @Todem was thinking we could retest March lows. I didn't see anyone questioning his motives. It took very little risk to achieve 4% YTD. 

TL:DR. Not everyone has the same investment strategy or need. 
I have no idea what we were even talking about but 4% YTD isn’t a great result. My three biggest accounts are up 22% (my largest cash position), 32% and 29% YTD and that’s with riding things out and in some cases buying more. Sure, someone who timed it perfectly would have gained more but to be up almost 30% YTD with that gigantic drop in the middle is a great result and that’s a lot of gains to miss. 

Great post. Thanks. 
Yeah, that’s my main worry. Seems like the actual results are pretty obvious but leadership sure isn’t taking advantage of it. I’ve got enough that I could sell it all at $3 and be extremely happy although short term taxes would suck.

I have no idea what we were even talking about but 4% YTD isn’t a great result. My three biggest accounts are up 22% (my largest cash position), 32% and 29% YTD and that’s with riding things out and in some cases buying more. Sure, someone who timed it perfectly would have gained more but to be up almost 30% YTD with that gigantic drop in the middle is a great result and that’s a lot of gains to miss. 
He is a retiree.  He only needs 4% gains.  In reality, he doesn't need any gains.  He is set.  He doesn't want the risk that comes with swinging for the fences.  April and May have been amazing for those invested in the market.  But April and May could have just as easily gone down instead of up.  People in the stock market right now have recency bias.  It feels easy to get 5% gains in one day instead of 1 year.  The next few months will likely bring people back down to earth.

If you can get out without a loss... or just a small loss, I'm not going to argue that strategy.... but hear me out ...

If the stocks are put to you ...  and your break even was less than $5,  ... the $5 calls are advertised for 0.60 right now.

If the stock price holds at $4.10 and the $5 call price holds at .60, .... you sell the call, collect .60 per share, .... now your break even is .60 less.

If the stocks get "called" away, you're a winner at $5 per share plus your .60 premium.

If the stocks don't get called away, do it again the next month, collect another .60 per share.

There is a chance you loose if the stock price goes down ... but seems that it's already at bottom imo.
For what it’s worth @Bossman the fact that worst case happened and you going to skate out of here with a loss but not a huge one shows that you were on the right path in terms of risk vs reward.

My approach is different from most here.  I don't mind tracking 30 stocks as they are all in one place and it takes 15 seconds to scan fidelity's page to "track" them.  With Amazon , Google, CYDY, and cash taking up 50% of my portfolio, the positions in the the other 27 stocks are small.  Lately I've been investing in a sector that seems like a value.  For instance I have MRO, XOM, WTI, PEO, and Chevron.  If one moves up more than then rest in a day for some reason, I'll sell some shares and move it into one of the others.  If one is down 5% and the others aren't, I'll deploy some cash and acquire some. 

II know I son't want DFS to be more than 5% of my portfolio.  I might enter at a 1% stake.  If it goes down, I'll add another 1.5%, and then another 2% if it drops lower.  From there I'll usually stop, although in the case of Blooming last time, I bought more and ended up at 10% of my portfolio.  For me, this was an uncomfortably large position to hold.  If the case of DFS, when I'm ready to invest, I'll look to see if I like another stock like SYF and spread that initial buy between the two.

If it's a stock like several of the biotech I had where I'll never own more than a 1% position, I'll sell half after a 50% gain, a quarter after 100%, and then the rest after 200% if it ever gets there.  If it's a normal stock like WFC where I'm comfortable with a 5% position, I'll start taking profits as early as 20%.  If I'm say trading, I'll exit with only only a 10% gain.

A lot of this strategy is based on the belief that guys around here like Todem are pretty damn smart and this market is going to have a pull back.  I don't mind taking profits since I want to maintain my cash position and the only way to do that if you are buying stocks is to always be selling some too.  When the time comes and I fell like I want to to be 100% invested in stocks this will change where I'll hold my stocks for much longer before selling.
It's always cool to hear how others approach it, especially others with knowledge and experience.  I have neither of those things.  As I mentioned before I have been investing for 16 years but never once bought an individual stock until recently.  

My money in my brokerage is the money I got from my cash out refi on my house.  I plannned to use it to buy another rental but now is not the right time for that IMO.  Instead I plan to follow along here and make a little money and then maybe buy another rental.  

For the most part I am keeping the majority of the money on the side for a potential retraction in the market.  I am 100% stock index funds in my 403b, so I dont need to be 100% deployed in my brokerage.  If I knew ANYTHING about stocks or had been following this thread more back in March I would have easily doubled that 50 grand I have in there, but instead i have to settle for a measly few grand gain so far.  

So for now just gonna sit back and watch a few stocks and wait for a good time to make some gains off some dips.  If that never happens then so be it, that just means my 403b is rockin.  

He is a retiree.  He only needs 4% gains.  In reality, he doesn't need any gains.  He is set.  He doesn't want the risk that comes with swinging for the fences.  April and May have been amazing for those invested in the market.  But April and May could have just as easily gone down instead of up.  People in the stock market right now have recency bias.  It feels easy to get 5% gains in one day instead of 1 year.  The next few months will likely bring people back down to earth.
I get it. That said I don’t even really remember what he’s referring to outside of looking at my post and him saying he got suspended. I understand he may be fine with those gains, but he sure seems to be gloating as if he assumed someone who stuck it out like me i way worse. I’m not that far from retirement and I’d be kicking myself if I pulled out early enough and then didn’t put money back in during the March drop. I held on and added from cash and I’ve earned 7 years of 4% gains YTD. Even if the market did retest March’s lows a person who got out before the drop would have blown me away if they shoved back in at that point. It’s just a guess, but I’d be shocked if I didn’t have close to a 100% gain overall on everything I bought in March.

Anyway, he replied back to me after 40 days to gloat so I figured I’d let him know my returns YTD.

For what it’s worth @Bossman the fact that worst case happened and you going to skate out of here with a loss but not a huge one shows that you were on the right path in terms of risk vs reward.
Seems he definitely got lucky but now he knows why the premiums were so rich. The only thing thing he missed out on what opportunity cost. In the time he’s been holding all those puts, the market’s up between 5-10%. I think he’s got some decent logic but it also showed how dangerous it really can be. The only winners were the guy who got out early and the guy who accidentally did the opposite!

Wait 4% YTD is being sneezed at. Guess people in here should be managing HFs then. The 60/40 strategy just turned positive and 4% is outperforming all the major indices save for the Qs. 
You’re right it probably isn’t. I just replied that to someone posting out of the blue and gloating. I’ve had a great year even with the drop. 

Monday a bloodbath?

Gundlach said 2 weeks ago the social unrest from having so many unemployed was being underestimated and quite dangerous. I didn’t really see it until this weekend, but he might be spot on. By far my favorite talking head, noted him in here a bunch of times.

Monday a bloodbath?

Gundlach said 2 weeks ago the social unrest from having so many unemployed was being underestimated and quite dangerous. I didn’t really see it until this weekend, but he might be spot on. By far my favorite talking head, noted him in here a bunch of times.
Watching the protesting/vandalism unfold on tv, can’t help but think Monday won’t be pretty.  But...stonks go up

I don’t see the correlation between protests/rioting and the stock market at all. 
Chaos and social unrest in the countries largest cities isn’t good for the economy. Sprinkle some CV19 in with a market trading at huge premiums and the risk is real.

ETA: I love Gundlach, but what he said didn’t make sense to me until this weekend either. It makes sense.

Chaos and social unrest in the countries largest cities isn’t good for the economy. Sprinkle some CV19 in with a market trading at huge premiums and the risk is real.

ETA: I love Gundlach, but what he said didn’t make sense to me until this weekend either. It makes sense.
Hmmm. Markets being at a premium are one thing. Some stores getting looted won’t move the needle at all. Imo. We’ll see I guess. 

Monday a bloodbath?

Gundlach is a talking head?   He's one of the largest bond managers in the world and was a star at TCW before Doubleline.

ETA: Everyone should listen to guys like him and Howard Marks even if they aren't in the fixed income space like me.

There were some really intense protests Thursday night and the markets seemed unaffected on Friday. Much more reactive to China news. We might be down on Monday but I’m not expecting anything cataclysmic.

Gundlach is a talking head?   He's one of the largest bond managers in the world and was a star at TCW before Doubleline.
He manages a portfolio of $150B, so what I meant when I use that phrase, it is more so meaning someone talking their book in this kind of circumstance.

He manages a portfolio of $150B, so what I meant when I use that phrase, it is more so meaning someone talking their book in this kind of circumstance.
Ok I see what you mean.  Bill Gross was the king of talking his book but I felt that he was a lot more blatant at it.  

I like Gundlach a lot because I think about and try to manage my books along the same lines as the things he focuses on.   IMO one of the keys to strong near term performance in fixed income is successfully marrying the current technical backdrop (flows, supply, defaults, etc) with the macro backdrop (growth, inflation, risk sentiment, etc) to derive a view on where the markets are likely headed.  From there, you look at valuations (spread percentiles, cds/cash basis, the shape of the curve, equity multiple percentiles, vol/vix levels, real effective exchange rates, etc) to try to come up with the optimal positioning to express this view.   It is a constant exercise but I find the views of guys like Gundlach and Marks really help me through this process, more so than the street.

Gundlach has been calling for a bond bear market for what, the past 3 years? Just like anyone, he can be wrong. But I wouldn't hold him in any more regard than any other prognosticator. I enjoy hearing from Gundlach and some of the broader level themes but the individual stuff, he isn't any better than anyone else. I suppose it's because Gundlach puts actual technical levels to call for a bear market while Marks usually stays more high level. 

ETA: Along those lines, Gundlach always has some alarmist or extreme view while Marks is usually more measured. Such as the whole protest side, I don't see how that correlates to the market at all. If anything, this could easily end up in folks taking their eye of the ball in terms of wealth/income inequality and the Fed/unemployment.

Monday a bloodbath?

I doubt it.  Expect a positive day.

The social unrest and the growing divide between the haves and have nots might not effect the markets on Monday or even the short term in general. However--it is a huge concern moving forward--as this country is ready to explode. Wait 2 weeks and see  what happens with the covid numbers in some of these major cities.  If it spreads among police and first responders--that changes everything.  With all of that said--I know this is a stock thread--but god bless us all.  Some of these protests are in the streets where we have offices and our friends have businesses.   It's hitting close to home for me. 

I doubt it.  Expect a positive day.
Is that just a contrarian opinion? I don't know what to expect day to day. Every time the market has a good day, I still expect the next day to give it back, but outside of a few rough days, that hasn't happened since the meltdown in the 2nd part of March. 

A friend of mine was suggesting I give options play with some cushion a chance. Says he makes a few hundred bucks on his plays because he does a 30% cushion.

I am learning about them, but do you guys do them? any advice?

cubd8 said:
A friend of mine was suggesting I give options play with some cushion a chance. Says he makes a few hundred bucks on his plays because he does a 30% cushion.

I’d probably hold off on NERV options for awhile.

cubd8 said:

Seriously, though, I don’t think you should mess with options unless you’ve really spent time studying stocks and managed your own investments for a bit, and have some strategy behind it. I’m sort of conservative but not completely, so I use options. But for me, it’s generally involving stocks I want to own anyway, so I’m just trying to generate some extra cash.

Options can be great, but they’re not the first thing I would do unless you’re really just gambling. But if you spend some time learning the market, you might get a decent options plan together down the road.

hxperson said:

ETA: Everyone should listen to guys like him and Howard Marks even if they aren't in the fixed income space like me.
Gunlach is very good at the bond markets but does like to grab attention/headlines. He's an eccentric guy, which is why TCW fired him  :lol:  

Agree on Marks. Actually met him in person 10 years back when Oaktree was trying to pitch the pension fund I was at on some mezzanine debt. He just oozes wisdom.

I'll probably sell at opening on Monday.  Why take a chance?  The chances of a decline are far greater than the chances of stonks going up.  Sometimes people's fear of a market decline causes a self-fulfilling downward spiral.  I might take a gamble on TVIX.

A couple weeks ago, AAXN reported and the stock popped 20%.  Ended up selling 1/2 to lock in some gains and not be too heavy.

With the Floyd killing and violence flaring up in lots of cities, there could be even more pressure for agencies to have body cams.  Didn’t appear that MSPD had them, but the citizen cameras were there.  

I am considering buying back in since the stock dipped about $10 as profits were taken. 

I'll probably sell at opening on Monday.  Why take a chance?  The chances of a decline are far greater than the chances of stonks going up.  Sometimes people's fear of a market decline causes a self-fulfilling downward spiral.  I might take a gamble on TVIX.
Market is going to tank Monday morning and then go right back up.

stonks go up, not down

Yeah starting to think stonks take a little dive tomorrow.  Literal panic in the streets.  

I thought Trump liked stonks??  He's gonna bring it down 2% with each tweet.

Buy stonks that sell bricks.

Users who are viewing this thread