What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (21 Viewers)

What news happened here?
In a nutshell, power play most likely, Jack Ma needs to bend the knee to Xi. China threatening monopoly prosecution and whatever else they think of to BABA until then. Other stocks selling off because people remember they're in China, too

Last edited by a moderator:
In a nutshell, power play most likely, Jack Ma needs to bend the knee to Xi. China threatening monopoly prosecution to Baba and whatever else they think of until then.
Thanks. I admire the heck out of Ma's philanthropy, but he really poked the bear with some of his comments around the Ant Group IPO

It is hard to take folks bashing on AMZN as serious when the stock is up over 72% YTD.
This is the ffa, we get 72% on stocks in weeks, not a year. I’ve turned that type of return on utility stocks. It’s one on the few stocks down since the summer.   Continue to let Bezos off the hook for poor performance. 

And now it's up 4%.  Penny stocks are fun!
Lol. It’s hard to trust those prices. Looking at Yahoo Finance’s chart and there was no volume all morning. 15k shares all day and it looks like all of it was at the end of the day. Just look at the chart, it’s a straight line from open (don’t think that was real) to 11:55am when it looks like $360 worth was sold. You’ll see some funky stuff since it’s got the lowest volume I’ve ever seen.

Lol. It’s hard to trust those prices. Looking at Yahoo Finance’s chart and there was no volume all morning. 15k shares all day and it looks like all of it was at the end of the day. Just look at the chart, it’s a straight line from open (don’t think that was real) to 11:55am when it looks like $360 worth was sold. You’ll see some funky stuff since it’s got the lowest volume I’ve ever seen.
Yeah, noticed the same thing.  Curious how GM's firm even builds a position in a stock like this.  25 shares at a time?

Have a friend who is touting $LAC longterm, as they are sitting on the largest (or maybe 2nd largest) lithium reserve in the US. Prospects seemed to be tied a bit to TSLA and electric vehicles etc... Any thoughts on it or what an entry point may be?

It is hard to take folks bashing on AMZN as serious when the stock is up over 72% YTD.
Ya but bashnbezos is down like 12% lol

Nobody has been down this much on amazon stock since Jeff had to hand billions over to his wife.  

Another factor is that BABA isn't equity in Alibaba. Foreigners can't buy in to Alibaba. It's a shell game with a holding company in the Caymans that has a contract to get a share of profits, and China can pull the rug out any time. 

Yeah, noticed the same thing.  Curious how GM's firm even builds a position in a stock like this.  25 shares at a time?
It’s on the Toronto stock exchange as well. I don’t know if there are fees but the US one isn’t something I’d buy. Getting out of the stock could be very hard. 

Another factor is that BABA isn't equity in Alibaba. Foreigners can't buy in to Alibaba. It's a shell game with a holding company in the Caymans that has a contract to get a share of profits, and China can pull the rug out any time. 
I had that with KSFT, but the volume was low and that scares me, so I sold it all off yesterday and today, even tho it had been a good earner. 

Is that the same for all Chinese companies with US shares or is BABA different?

Had a bad, but luckily small, experience with LK but BILI has done really well for me this year.

Is that the same for all Chinese companies with US shares or is BABA different?

Had a bad, but luckily small, experience with LK but BILI has done really well for me this year.
I believe it's the same for all Chinese companies, but not 100% sure. If not... The Chinese government can force it on any company large enough to be a "strategic asset" so, any company worth owning will eventually be the same. 

So the hit on BABA may reflect added worry that the government is going to pull the trigger on locking out foreigners at some point on the horizon if things continue on the current path. 

Anyone see this as an opportunity to add BABA or is it only going to get uglier from here? Just bought some last week, oof!

We could probably move this stock trading amongst ourselves

CFO of Chewy Inc (30-Year Financial, Insider Trades) Mario Jesus Marte (insider trades) sold 45,692 shares of CHWY on 12/21/2020 at an average price of $100.4 a share. The total sale was $4.6 million.

Dang, just bought some today
Sold my chewy, just decided to use my money elsewhere

Yeah...I caught a warning from fidelity for selling to myself and moving a NYSE company about 5%.  Really it’s BS given what traders do to cydy on a regular basis. 

Are there rules on this pink sheet stuff?
I would assume so but it seems like you rarely hear about people getting in trouble for it. Unless you're Martha Stewart of course. 

Not the best day, but this group has helped me make more this year than I would have otherwise.  Thanks everyone, Merry Christmas.

Anyone see this as an opportunity to add BABA or is it only going to get uglier from here? Just bought some last week, oof!
Owning Chinese companies is just too hard. BABA’s a great company but SE is next door and China-free if you want a piece of e-commerce in the region.

So you're the pump and the dump?

:lmao:
I thought that’s how it was done?

Bid Ask spread was huge on BBQ. We are talking 50 cents on a $5 stock. I put one of my shares up for sale one cent below the ask after I already had a buy limit at that price. Just like that I moved the stock price around 5% on the sale of one share

I thought that’s how it was done?

Bid Ask spread was huge on BBQ. We are talking 50 cents on a $5 stock. I put one of my shares up for sale one cent below the ask after I already had a buy limit at that price. Just like that I moved the stock price around 5% on the sale of one share
See that's where you went wrong. Next time use accounts with different brokerages for the buying and selling. 

(Note to SEC, I am 100% joking and nobody should ever do this or break any other laws.)

I thought I posted this on here in the summer, but can't find it. One of my dollar stock gambles is going on a run $IPATF. It's a Canadian biotech that makes antibodies. From what I've seen it reminds me of CYDY except with competent leadership.

They announced last week that on the 31st they're being up listed to nasdaq. Stock was up 45% this past week, but I assume has some room to run with the uplisting.

BTC broke 27k.....

Was thinking of getting back into HVBTF at close on XMAS eve now it will be at a premium Monday morning along with GBTC

A stock with some exposure to bitcoin which I own at a cost of 16.86 is Cleanspark CLSK do not know if mentioned here but can bring some nice gains in Q1 of 2021

I started a position on Wed in Ilika which is a Solid State Battery Manufacturer.  They will eventually try to uplist and with clean and green being buzzwords in the energy sector I feel it is positioned well.  Going to try to accumulate about 1000 shares buy mid January.  Symbol is ilikf 

https://www.ilika.com

Anybody here in $FUSE? It’s a SPAC started by a team that includes Jim Ross, who created the SPY and GLD ETF’s. Another guy, John James, is the CEO of BetaSmartz, a digital financial platform. They’re targeting fintech and/or asset management. Some rumors they’re looking at BlockFi but that seems to literally be based on Twitter follows. If they DO go after something crypto-related, could pop, if not, I’m interested in fintech in general, anyway.

Still trading near NAV.

Anybody here in $FUSE? It’s a SPAC started by a team that includes Jim Ross, who created the SPY and GLD ETF’s. Another guy, John James, is the CEO of BetaSmartz, a digital financial platform. They’re targeting fintech and/or asset management. Some rumors they’re looking at BlockFi but that seems to literally be based on Twitter follows. Still near NAV. If they DO go after something crypto-related, could pop, if not, I’m interested in fintech in general, anyway.

Still trading near NAV.
I'll be in tomorrow. These are getting so hard to track lol. Half of my trading portfolio is now pre-merger SPACs lol. 

I'll be in tomorrow. These are getting so hard to track lol. Half of my trading portfolio is now pre-merger SPACs lol. 
I went from none to two (was 3, sold VSPR although I’m still watching as a reopening play) and might get in this one tomorrow, too. I’ve come around to the strategy as using these as a cash replacement like a few others in here.

My other two are HAACU and BFT.

I went from none to two (was 3, sold VSPR although I’m still watching as a reopening play) and might get in this one tomorrow, too. I’ve come around to the strategy as using these as a cash replacement like a few others in here.

My other two are HAACU and BFT.
I'm still in HAACU,BTWN,BWACU,PIPP/U, ACTC and VGAC. All SPACs targeting companies in hot sectors and with good leadership. 

It's better than cash, but may have to trim some of these if there is ever a decent pull back. Can't expect all of these to find a merger.

It's better than cash, but may have to trim some of these if there is ever a decent pull back. Can't expect all of these to find a merger.
Yeah I'm not super heavy in any of them (BTWN and VGAC are my largest due to leadership) but it'll be interesting to see how these play out down the road. 

Users who are viewing this thread