What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (9 Viewers)

Manti only and probably the biggest problem was not admitting from the beginning they only met online and never in person. I get that he was embarrassed by it and is understandable but that "lie" turned everyone into thinking he was in on it
Caught this a couple days ago. Agree with what you said, him not saying immediately "well I never actually met her" made everyone turn on him, but in the documentary he explained very well I thought about how he was right in the midst of NC prep, draft prep, he didn't know what was going on, that Ronaiah/Lennay then came back to him and said "hey wait I'm alive after all", and he was just stuck in this "what the heck do I do" situation.

And I'd forgotten about how that whole situation and how the media's portrayal of "is he in on it?" started turning into a question of "wait is he covering up that he's gay?" and that contributed to his draft position slide, as he fell out of what was assuredly a first round selection. The documentary did a great job making you really feel for this dude...

I just realized we have HBO-Max.

Other than the Dragon show, what else should I be watching here? I prefer sci-fi/fantasy/action/stuff blowing up, not so much "dramas".

Thx in advance.....

Like what haven't you seen already?

These are must-see HBO shows

The Wire
Sopranos
Deadwood
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Leftovers
Band of Brothers
Succession
Sharp Objects
Boardwalk Empire
Watchmen
Mare of Easttown
Station Eleven

I watched most if not all of the Sopranos. Haven't seen any of the others. I am compiling a good list now!
Shuke did indeed give you a great list there. All bangers. I’d add Barry to it imo.
Also add Veep, Silicon Valley and Generation Kill.

Veep is the most vile, repulsive, hilarious show I've ever watched. Hate myself for every belly-laugh, chortle, and chuckle throughout the whole danged series. Highest recommendation.
Really? I gave up after a few episodes.
I'm currently watching it for the 3rd time and it's still as hilarious as the first time. Such a great show.

Lost Ollie (Netflix) is kinda a live action/stop motion animation Toy Story that dabbles with some dark tones, and I really liked the first (of 4) episodes.

Finished The Sandman. Enjoyed it but it felt like 3-4 completely different stories taking place over 10 episodes. Heck one episode had 2 completely different stories altogether. Bizarre.

Lost Ollie (Netflix) is kinda a live action/stop motion animation Toy Story that dabbles with some dark tones, and I really liked the first (of 4) episodes.
Finished Lost Ollie in a day. Adored it.
Agreed. It’s definitely a bit dark though. My daughter wasn’t quite prepared for it.

The ending definitely caught me off guard. Have to say I wasn’t expecting that, but I really liked it.

Finished The Sandman. Enjoyed it but it felt like 3-4 completely different stories taking place over 10 episodes. Heck one episode had 2 completely different stories altogether. Bizarre.

I agree. The whole thing felt pretty disjointed. The resolution felt pretty cheesy too.

The girl from plainville on Hulu

I thought Elle Fanning did a great job portraying Michelle Carter. It's def not an easy watch as it delves into trauma, abuse and suicide.
It's interesting to see it told from Carter's side even though there are no clear good/bad guys from this story.

7/10 worth a watch

Am I gonna have to wait a whole year for the last Better Call Saul season to get to Netflix? I don't really want to have to subscribe to another service to get AMC to be able to watch it.

Just started Black Bird on Apple, 3 episodes in and absolutely love it! Paul Walter Hauser is phenomenal, even better performance than his Richard Jewel.
this show is sooo good

Just started Black Bird on Apple, 3 episodes in and absolutely love it! Paul Walter Hauser is phenomenal, even better performance than his Richard Jewel.
this show is sooo good
It really is, I think they will win so many awards.
I thought it was decent. It kind of ended abruptly. I would have liked a little more. The bad guy is creepy as hell though.

Yeah, same thoughts. I liked it, but the continuity was just like non-existent.

I just realized we have HBO-Max.

Other than the Dragon show, what else should I be watching here? I prefer sci-fi/fantasy/action/stuff blowing up, not so much "dramas".

Thx in advance.....

Like what haven't you seen already?

These are must-see HBO shows

The Wire
Sopranos
Deadwood
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Leftovers
Band of Brothers
Succession
Sharp Objects
Boardwalk Empire
Watchmen
Mare of Easttown
Station Eleven

I watched most if not all of the Sopranos. Haven't seen any of the others. I am compiling a good list now!
Shuke did indeed give you a great list there. All bangers. I’d add Barry to it imo.
Also add Peacemaker and Chernobyl.

I liked it but do agree the plot was all over the map. I thought the episode that took place in the diner was terrific, and the Cereal convention, haha.
Not loving its chances for another season, cost a lot to make and not sure *that* many people watched.

I liked it but do agree the plot was all over the map. I thought the episode that took place in the diner was terrific, and the Cereal convention, haha.
Not loving its chances for another season, cost a lot to make and not sure *that* many people watched.
It had 250 million viewing hours, but regardless Gaiman has said that if Netflix cancels it, there are other services ready to pick it up. Netflix only produced it so it's very easy for them to shop it to other services.

Watched the first two episodes of The Patient. I would say it's fairly solid. Heard it starts strong, sags in the middle and ends strong.

If it ends up going where I think it will after the end of episode 2, I might be out sooner rather than later however.

[REC] - Tubi (free). Spanish zombie movie! I saw the American remake of this called Quarantine, but never the original from Spain. It really grabs hold of you and doesn’t let up - really well done, with mayhem almost the whole time. The main actress does a great job - as a reporter on a fluff show, then as a person reacting pretty realistically to the situation by being freaked the hell out. Definitely check this one out if you like zombie movies.

Need some recommendations on Amazon or Netflix shows for my in-laws. He has some mild cognitive issues and gets confused if timelines are not linear. Series where the episodes stand alone tend to be preferred, i.e. more like Law and Order and less like Breaking Bad. They liked 'The Old Man' recently, but he even complained about the timeline shifts in that. We're not looking for high quality programming here, they also have been watching all the episodes of 'Castle'. In fact shows like Castle, NCIS, etc. would be just about perfect.

Thanks.
Late reply for this, but Bosch on Amazon is a pretty straightforward cop show that we like that would be a good fit here.

Juan of the Dead - Hulu. A Cuban zomcom! I’ve been waiting for this one to pop up on a streaming service, and it finally did. The overall story was a little fragmented - it was more of a collection of scenes loosely strung together. Some were really good, like a dancing sequence on a rooftop and some good jokes. The effects were pretty poor overall, but this was fun.

Got Apple Plus back over the weekend and blasted through 8 of the 9 episodes of Severance. Really in my wheelhouse.

My wife got it for a show that is kind of about Jeff Bezos's ex-wife, starring Maya Rudolph. Quality cast in it, but I'm really over shows about super wealthy people. Gave it two episodes and I'm done with it.

Got Apple Plus back over the weekend and blasted through 8 of the 9 episodes of Severance. Really in my wheelhouse.

My wife got it for a show that is kind of about Jeff Bezos's ex-wife, starring Maya Rudolph. Quality cast in it, but I'm really over shows about super wealthy people. Gave it two episodes and I'm done with it.
College buddy just told me over the weekend that Severance is worth picking up Apple for a month. I’ll have to check it out.

Randomly decided to try Black Summer this am on my day off. Just a few episodes in, but really liked the setup, style, and intro of characters. I thought the 1st episode was pretty impressive the way it tied up and goes back to the characters and where they all were in the chaos.

That said, it's still a zombie apocalypse, so there is still a bit of eyerolling at the choices being made (especially when it looks like they had a few weeks of being holed up and maybe knew a bit what was going on?), but so far I like it.

Randomly decided to try Black Summer this am on my day off. Just a few episodes in, but really liked the setup, style, and intro of characters. I thought the 1st episode was pretty impressive the way it tied up and goes back to the characters and where they all were in the chaos.

That said, it's still a zombie apocalypse, so there is still a bit of eyerolling at the choices being made (especially when it looks like they had a few weeks of being holed up and maybe knew a bit what was going on?), but so far I like it.
First and last episode of season 1 were the best examples of overlapping chaos (turn on subtitles for the final episode - one inaudible line completely changes the biggest scene in the show). Season 2 got back to that energy for almost the whole season… I really hope this show doesn’t get cancelled, I think it’s my favorite zombie show or movie.

The Elvis movie on HBO was quite good.
I tried and found Hanks unwatchable.
Watched it last night and enjoyed it. Had no problem with Hanks.
My son was all about watching this so we sat a week ago and watched it over two nights. I thought it was OK, but I I'd say 5.1 out of 10 at best. Hanks seemed to make the most of a caricature of what Parker probably was. Butler's eye shadow was waaaay over done. The make up person should be :clyde:

Wife convinced me to try “Fate: The Winx Saga” which premiered on Netflix today. Young Adult supernatural show about “fairies” with magical powers going to a magic highschool (apparently this is an aged up, live action version of an Italian cartoon?) Starts out like a lot of young adult tropes (they’re somewhat self-aware of this as there is a joke in the first episode where 2 characters talk about which Hogwarts house they would be sorted into) but despite the terrible name and the familiar setting, it actually turned out much better than I expected.

Thought we were in for some CW teen melodrama cheesiness but they really kept the romance and teen-angst parts to a minimum and actually had a decent story with some nice twists/reveals. Only 6 episodes so we finished it off pretty quick in one night. Only complaint I had was whoever does the sound/music did a poor job and kind of ruined the climactic battle scene in the final episode which was the only really cheesy moment I recall.

If you like shows like The Order, Warrior Nun, Umbrella Academy, etc. I would definitely give it a try.

Looks like season 2 comes out today on Netflix, not much promotion. Am in for season 2 although Netflix has been cancelling most of these types of shows these days.

I'm almost done with it. When it started wasn't sure I was going to stick with it but it's grown on me. Think I'm on episode 10.

Watched first 2 episodes of second season of Russian Doll. I don't think I can go on. Anyone think it's worth it?

I'm almost done with it. When it started wasn't sure I was going to stick with it but it's grown on me. Think I'm on episode 10.
Finished the Sandman this morning and have to agree with most in here, the ending was odd. Didn't really fit the direction the previous 10 episodes had taken IMO. I'd contine watching but I don't have high hopes it will be renewed.

Finished the Sandman this morning and have to agree with most in here, the ending was odd. Didn't really fit the direction the previous 10 episodes had taken IMO. I'd contine watching but I don't have high hopes it will be renewed.
I thought the Sandman got near universal critical acclaim and was a netflix viewing hit? They even released a bonus episode. I'd be shocked if it wasn't renewed.

I thought the Sandman got near universal critical acclaim and was a netflix viewing hit? They even released a bonus episode. I'd be shocked if it wasn't renewed.
Its a very expensive show to produce

Was just going off some of the responses here that mentioned skepticism on the renewal. I enjoyed the overall theme of the show, at least it was something different than the usual regurgitated drivel out there. Be cool if gets renewed.

Watched first 2 episodes of second season of Russian Doll. I don't think I can go on. Anyone think it's worth it?
I didn't think it was as good as the first season but still found it entertaining. Its a quirky show for sure and not for everyone.

I'd say if you enjoyed the first season, its probably worth finishing.

Believe they've had 3 or 4 seasons at this point but I just started watching For All Mankind on apple tv. Alternate history show about the soviets beating the US to the moon leading to the space race never ending (at least as of midway through season 2)

Pretty good show. Interesting story and lots of good characters (despite not having a ton of especially recognizable actors)

Edit: it does seem like a lot of people crap on the 2nd/3rd seasons for too many woke storylines and soap opera like dialog/plots. So we shall see

Last edited:

I can understand dropping it.

Believe they've had 3 or 4 seasons at this point but I just started watching For All Mankind on apple tv. Alternate history show about the soviets beating the US to the moon leading to the space race never ending (at least as of midway through season 2)

Pretty good show. Interesting story and lots of good characters (despite not having a ton of especially recognizable actors)

Edit: it does seem like a lot of people crap on the 2nd/3rd seasons for too many woke storylines and soap opera like dialog/plots. So we shall see
The first season is the best but I’m still all in after season 3. When it’s good, it’s real good. I’m not sure “woke” is the right categorization. “Hokey” might fit season 3 better. Still enjoyed it.

Just a heads up if you have Hulu and are looking to add ESPN+ for NHL.
The stand alone ESPN+ is $9.99 a month
But if you order the bundle of ESPN+ and Disney+, it's only $6.99/month.

And not sure if it will hold but Hulu was showing a $2 increase soon but it didn't show as if it will happen on the bundle.

Users who are viewing this thread