What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (6 Viewers)

wlwiles said:
Two episodes into Inventing Anna.  Enjoying the story so far, feels like it's building the story a bit slowly but that the payoff is going to be worth it.  The only thing I can't get over so far is the obviously fake German/whatever accent that Julia Garner is using.  She's a phenomenal actress, obviously is the highlight of Ozark and all that....but that accent is just inconsistent at best
She was on some late night show explaining the creation of the accent.  Said she wanted it to be a mixture of 3 different accents (there was reasoning behind it, but can't remember why)

She was on some late night show explaining the creation of the accent.  Said she wanted it to be a mixture of 3 different accents (there was reasoning behind it, but can't remember why)
Because the character was born in Russia and moved to Germany when young.....then to USA.  Plus the actual person had a similar accent.

Maybe she's such a great actress that the accent seems weird on purpose, as a way to add to the "who is she and where is she from" mystique...can't nail down an accent that's from all over...

Loved the first two episodes of Mrs. Maisel. For me the side characters are all way more interesting than Midge.
Same.  Suzie the manager is hilarious!  The latest season I'm digging Lenny even more(and more interesting as he is an actual historical figure).

jamny said:
I actually have it on my My Shows list on Hulu but it's hard to commit to such a long series, especially when some people say it takes a bit to really get going.
I'm in the middle of season one and suffering the time to get going.  It's just the same episode over and over with a different bad guy for the cowboy to go get by outsmarting and out drawing.  I assume it get's back to the main conflict between the Cowboy and Baby Billy at some point?  Hopefully it doesn't take multiple seasons to get there.

wlwiles said:
Two episodes into Inventing Anna.  Enjoying the story so far, feels like it's building the story a bit slowly but that the payoff is going to be worth it.  The only thing I can't get over so far is the obviously fake German/whatever accent that Julia Garner is using.  She's a phenomenal actress, obviously is the highlight of Ozark and all that....but that accent is just inconsistent at best
From what I have read it is very close to Anna's actual accent.

Severance has been outstanding
during the first episode, I was a little unsure if I would be able to continue. but I kept going and I am positively hooked. can't wait for the next episode.

I never thought of Adam Scott as that great of an actor, but he is very good in this. Turturro also.

Almost gave up after the second episode of Inventing Anna. Episode 3 was better but I'm still not sold on it. Does it get a lot better from here?

Almost gave up after the second episode of Inventing Anna. Episode 3 was better but I'm still not sold on it. Does it get a lot better from here?
This is me.  I think I got through 4 episodes and just thought....what is the point to all this, I'm not interested at all.  And that reporter chick is just annoying and a terrible actress.

Move to Heaven

It’s about a trauma cleaning company. One of the cleaners is on the spectrum. They’re hired to clean out the belongings of the deceased. Not a police drama - in one episode it’s a crime scene - but there is usually a mystery to solve. The belongings they find tell the story.

Netflix, 1s, 10e

(Korean w/ subtitles or English overdub)

Last edited by a moderator:
Minx - HBO Max

In 1970s Los Angeles, an earnest young feminist joins forces with a low-rent publisher to create the first erotic magazine for women.

2 episodes available, enjoying this a lot so far,  though massive amounts of male nudity, wife thinks it's hilarious. Jake Johnson is awesome. 

This is me.  I think I got through 4 episodes and just thought....what is the point to all this, I'm not interested at all.  And that reporter chick is just annoying and a terrible actress.
She's more annoying than Anna's horrible accent. She was better in small doses on Veep.

She's more annoying than Anna's horrible accent. She was better in small doses on Veep.
That accent is pretty spot on with how the real Anna talks. It is annoying just the same. I also found the actress who played the reporter annoying. Her facial expressions half the time looked like she just smelled something rotten. 

Just started the new show on Netflix with Toni Collette. Aside from her whinging daughter in the first ep, a decent start.

Pieces of Her - Is anyone else watching this? I watched the first three episodes on a flight this morning. I was definitely entertained. And Toni Collette is outstanding. I'll definitely watch the rest of the season.

I noticed that tubi had the old sketch comedy Fridays so I figured I'd check it out to see Michael Richard's. I remember him being the highlight of the show but I didn't remember Larry David on it too. He had some insane hair!

Pieces of Her - Is anyone else watching this? I watched the first three episodes on a flight this morning. I was definitely entertained. And Toni Collette is outstanding. I'll definitely watch the rest of the season.

I gave up after 2 or 3 eps. how the daughter is written was too stupid for me to hang with.
We watched the whole thing :bag:

The daughter is awful. It ends ok, not the worst thing I've watched, but I otherwise wouldn't bother.

Did anyone catch the first episode of Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty on HBO last night?  Surprisingly funny and well acted.  I think it’s a must for fans of the Showtime Laker era.

John C. Reilly as Jerry Buss is knocking it out of the park, and Jason Clark has the look of Jerry West nailed.

Only 1 episode so far, but I’m in.
I finally caught up with the season.

You are right about the actor playing Magic. He has a natural way about delivering his lines. It took me more than a few minutes to realize that Michael Chiklis is playing Red Auerbach. 

I knew Jerry West had issues with depression, but I didn't know they ran that deeply.

One thing I learned is that the producer of the series--Adam McKay--and Will Ferrell have had a huge falling out. Ferrell is a lifelong Lakers fan and desperately wanted to play Jerry Buss. Mckay not only refused to cast him but he didn't even bother to give a heads-up that he had chosen John C. Reilly instead. Reilly was the one who informed Ferrell.

McKay has said he didn't think Ferrell looked like Buss or had the same energy. I guess that makes sense, but it is kind of undermined with the casting of Adrien Brody as Pat Reilly. The profile shot of Brody ruins any resemblance to Reilly.

It is too bad about Ferrell and McKay. They built each other's career up in what was a great partnership.  

The Tourist was good 
I thought it was OK but man the more I think about it the worse some of the scenes were. I mean, you felt like a lot of the things might matter but they didn’t. It was kind of a rip off of characters all in one show. You had your Memento guy and his Fargo lady cop friend and your No Country for Old Men paid killer who of course had spider man like wall crawling ability.

I think the worst part was the ending and how they got there. The only visions he remembers were silly at the end.

This is where I'm at and my take also - having a hard time working up the desire to watch additional episodes 

Move to Heaven

It’s about a trauma cleaning company. One of the cleaners is on the spectrum. They’re hired to clean out the belongings of the deceased. Not a police drama - in one episode it’s a crime scene - but there is usually a mystery to solve. The belongings they find tell the story.

Netflix, 1s, 10e

(Korean w/ subtitles or English overdub)
I adore this show (on episode 5). Great recommendation. 

El Floppo said:
COOL! so now we all don't have to watch the Tourist.
😂 I tried to not spoil anything but also note what I didn’t like. It was weird that I was enjoying it but then as some story lines wrapped up it made me think WTF was the point. Or worse, it made me think of 24 where Kiefer would solve one issue only to realize that that wasn’t the plan all along and then do that 3-4 more times.

I am in season 2 of snowfall and having the hardest time with it. I like the main storyline of Franklin and his crew but Teddy and the third storyline just don’t interest me at all. Has anybody watched the whole thing? Is it worth it?

Gomorrah or Suburra?

I know some people here watched both. Consensus online seems to be Gomorrah being better but not by much.

Gomorrah or Suburra?

I know some people here watched both. Consensus online seems to be Gomorrah being better but not by much.
I preferred Gom but not by much.

They're both fun, but typically overwrought Italian shows.
to add...

Gom is more specifically focused on the Napoli crime scene, Sub deals with Rome crime scene, but spreads out into religion/politics. They each have their strengths as a result depending on your interests... but I found that with the overwrought tendency in both, Sub tended towards being more of a Soap Opera

Breaking in my free 3 months of AppleTV

Liked Ted Lasso season 1 - thought it would be a little funnier but enjoyed it.

LOVE Mythic Quest - can see some of the sunny elements in it.   Finishing this up before hitting Lasso season 2

Just noticed Servant of the People is back on Netflix. That is Zelensky’s TV show where he plays a high school teacher who becomes President of Ukraine.

I watched some of it back when Zelensky was running for office; wondering how it would look now in light of current events.

Users who are viewing this thread