What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Subscriber Contest is LIVE (3 Viewers)

Hawkeye21 said:
Spin said:
Make sure you leave some money left over to pick up some players mid contest in case one of your studs goes down early.
I didn't think you could make any adjustments to your team once the season starts.
You can't. It's a running joke made every year, kind of like hazing the 'rookies.'

Easily the earliest I've felt settled on over half the team. 13 players are highly unlikely to change (unless injuries cause a domino effect).

Hawkeye21 said:
Spin said:
Make sure you leave some money left over to pick up some players mid contest in case one of your studs goes down early.
I didn't think you could make any adjustments to your team once the season starts.
You can't. It's a running joke made every year, kind of like hazing the 'rookies.'
I was assuming that. That's why I didn't inquire any more about. Felt like I was being set up. Pretty good joke though.

Strategy help for the newbies out there:

- Late bye weeks are great. You want to rack those points up early on while the players are fresh to get a good lead on the competition. Also, having a late bye week helps refresh a player, enabling them to give you monster points towards the end of the contest.

- You cant really have enough kickers and defenses. The're both a very unpredictable position, so the more you have, the better chance of getting a monster week from one of them.

- Choose just one tight end and ride him to the finish. so many tight ends are basically dead roster space for a variety of reasons, so having more than one is just wasted cap space.

- The lower priced WRs are low priced for a reason: they all suck. don't be suckered into their low price.

- You don't have to use all your cap space early on. Later in the season you'll want that cap space to replace guys who get hurt. Target about 80-90% of your cap space for the first week.

- Late bye weeks are great. You want to rack those points up early on while the players are fresh to get a good lead on the competition. Also, having a late bye week helps refresh a player, enabling them to give you monster points towards the end of the contest.

- You cant really have enough kickers and defenses. The're both a very unpredictable position, so the more you have, the better chance of getting a monster week from one of them.

- Choose just one tight end and ride him to the finish. so many tight ends are basically dead roster space for a variety of reasons, so having more than one is just wasted cap space.

- The lower priced WRs are low priced for a reason: they all suck. don't be suckered into their low price.

- You don't have to use all your cap space early on. Later in the season you'll want that cap space to replace guys who get hurt. Target about 80-90% of your cap space for the first week.
I really hope there aren't people on here who believe a word you're saying.

I really hope there aren't people on here who believe a word you're saying.
Just trying to help, dude.

you get extra points for creativity. 20 kicker guy, 20 QB guy, all-Patriots guy, are legends.

For example, something this:

QB - Andrew Luck - IND/10 - $26
QB - Alex Smith - KC/9 - $8
RB - Adrian Peterson - MIN/5 - $32
RB - Andre Ellington - ARI/9 - $21
RB - Ameer Abdullah - DET/9 - $14
RB - Alfred Blue - HOU/9 - $8
RB - Andre Williams - NYG/11 - $5
RB - Antone Smith - ATL/10 - $3
WR - Antonio Brown - PIT/11 - $33
WR - A.J. Green - CIN/7 - $25
WR - Amari Cooper - OAK/6 - $19
WR - Anquan Boldin - SF/10 - $15
WR - Aaron Dobson - NE/4 - $3
WR - Andre Holmes - OAK/6 - $2
TE - Antonio Gates - SD/10 - $11
TE - Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TB/6 - $11
PK - Adam Vinatieri - IND/10 - $7
TD - Arizona Cardinals - ARI/9 - $7

Actually, this team will probably do well.

Last edited by a moderator:
you get extra points for creativity. 20 kicker guy, 20 QB guy, all-Patriots guy, are legends.

QB - Andrew Luck - IND/10 - $26QB - Alex Smith - KC/9 - $8RB - Adrian Peterson - MIN/5 - $32RB - Andre Ellington - ARI/9 - $21RB - Ameer Abdullah - DET/9 - $14RB - Alfred Blue - HOU/9 - $8RB - Andre Williams - NYG/11 - $5RB - Antone Smith - ATL/10 - $3WR - Antonio Brown - PIT/11 - $33WR - A.J. Green - CIN/7 - $25WR - Amari Cooper - OAK/6 - $19WR - Anquan Boldin - SF/10 - $15WR - Aaron Dobson - NE/4 - $3WR - Andre Holmes - OAK/6 - $2TE - Antonio Gates - SD/10 - $11TE - Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TB/6 - $11PK - Adam Vinatieri - IND/10 - $7TD - Arizona Cardinals - ARI/9 - $7

This post is amazing.

Hawkeye21 said:
Spin said:
I was assuming that. That's why I didn't inquire any more about. Felt like I was being set up. Pretty good joke though.
Yes it was a pretty good joke....in 2010.

QB - Andrew Luck - IND/10 - $26QB - Alex Smith - KC/9 - $8RB - Adrian Peterson - MIN/5 - $32RB - Andre Ellington - ARI/9 - $21RB - Ameer Abdullah - DET/9 - $14RB - Alfred Blue - HOU/9 - $8RB - Andre Williams - NYG/11 - $5RB - Antone Smith - ATL/10 - $3WR - Antonio Brown - PIT/11 - $33WR - A.J. Green - CIN/7 - $25WR - Amari Cooper - OAK/6 - $19WR - Anquan Boldin - SF/10 - $15WR - Aaron Dobson - NE/4 - $3WR - Andre Holmes - OAK/6 - $2TE - Antonio Gates - SD/10 - $11TE - Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TB/6 - $11PK - Adam Vinatieri - IND/10 - $7TD - Arizona Cardinals - ARI/9 - $7

This post is amazing.
You forget how many good players have names that start with A.

One of the teams in my FF league is named "The Brown Johnsons" which came about because one year his roster was almost entirely made up of Browns and Johnsons. It's also an innuendo for anal sex.

Lots of value on page 2 this year. Ray Rice for $1 is a steal considering the upside if he lands on a team, and if he doesn't, it's only $1.

Here was my first try

QB - Derek Carr - OAK/6 - $7
RB - Jeremy Hill - CIN/7 - $25
RB - C.J. Spiller - NO/11 - $21
RB - Doug Martin - TB/6 - $12
RB - James White - NE/4 - $5
WR - Julio Jones - ATL/10 - $26
WR - Mike Evans - TB/6 - $23
WR - John Brown - ARI/9 - $12
WR - Marques Colston - NO/11 - $12
WR - Markus Wheaton - PIT/11 - $5
TE - Jimmy Graham - SEA/9 - $23
TE - Tyler Eifert - CIN/7 - $9
PK - Graham Gano - CAR/5 - $3
PK - Sebastian Janikowski - OAK/6 - $2
TD - Cleveland Browns - CLE/11 - $4
TD - New Orleans Saints - NO/11 - $3

Here was my first try

Have 9/13 of your RB/WR/TE on my first go-round.

Excited for another year.

Here was my first try

Have 9/13 of your RB/WR/TE on my first go-round.

Excited for another year.
Good thing I have switched it up about 30 times since then :thumbup:

Really considering blowing $32 just to keep my initial roster intact with no non-injury changes and then have another entry to change 6 million times like normal.

I wish the season started this Thursday, I have had a lot of time to look at it this week and I love my team right now. I know that 4 weeks of preseason and camp reports are going to change my lineup about 15 times, a day!

I wish the season started this Thursday, I have had a lot of time to look at it this week and I love my team right now. I know that 4 weeks of preseason and camp reports are going to change my lineup about 15 times, a day!
YepIts funny. Right now I feel locked in but without a doubt something will change my mind later today or tomorrow.

Eta: biggest question I have right now is whether to go with 1 QB (probably not), have my #2 share a bye with #1, or take a #2 I like less than my original choice.

Miscellaneous pondering topics....

- does a rebounding Dalton or a Foles with question marks represent a better QB2 (or QB3)?

- is it better to handcuff Randall with McFadden or to invest in Blue assuming Fosters groin lingers?

- best investment: Quick, Jones, T Williams, Perriman or S Johnson?

- better $3...Riley Cooper or Nick Toon? I'm leaning Toon...

Dalton is on my radar, Foles really isn't.

There are too many other backs I like more than Randall for that money.

I would take that 3 dollars for Cooper or Toon and go with Colston, Brown, Wright or Steve Smith over those other guys.

See above, but if you do go this route I like Toon and Amendola at the 3 dollar range.

I would take that 3 dollars for Cooper or Toon and go with Colston, Brown, Wright or Steve Smith over those other guys.

See above, but if you do go this route I like Toon and Amendola at the 3 dollar range.
Agreed with all of this. The only $3 receiver who has been on my roster at any point is Tavon Austin. And he's not on there right now.

I just submitted the winning roster. I have incorporated the Science of Statistics™ into my excel spreadsheets via various modules and such, and it spits out the best team via multiple monte carlo simulations. :bowtie:

Agreed with all of this. The only $3 receiver who has been on my roster at any point is Tavon Austin. And he's not on there right now.
Brown and Wright are in anemic situations. Colston is in obvious decline. I had Smith in last year's contest and I'm concerned about going to the well again...so I'm leaning Perriman there.

I'm looking for WRs who will outperform their auction value....high ceiling guys. Quick, Jones, T Williams, Perriman or S Johnson. I think I like Quick and Stevie the best here in that context. Williams may see moderate growth and should have a stable floor. I'm on the fence with Jones.

As far as Randle goes, it's purely a case of buying the Cowboys running game cheap. That o line reminds me of the old cowboys o line. epic.

Brown and Wright are in anemic situations. Colston is in obvious decline. I had Smith in last year's contest and I'm concerned about going to the well again...so I'm leaning Perriman there.

I'm looking for WRs who will outperform their auction value....high ceiling guys. Quick, Jones, T Williams, Perriman or S Johnson. I think I like Quick and Stevie the best here in that context. Williams may see moderate growth and should have a stable floor. I'm on the fence with Jones.

As far as Randle goes, it's purely a case of buying the Cowboys running game cheap. That o line reminds me of the old cowboys o line. epic.
we'll see of course, but I don't know about Brown being in an anemic situation if Palmer stays healthy.

This is an interesting practice of balancing high upside with low floor guys IMO. Colston I think has the lowest floor of the receivers at his price point but he's highly unlikely to perform as a WR1 whereas it's possible others there might boom.

Currently sitting at 22...the lowest total I have used in the last five years (and since I have never finished in the money, I figured it might be time to change things up).

75% of my roster will have their bye before week 8 and is pretty evenly spread out over those weeks.

Right now I'm sitting with 3 QB's....two low end starters and a middle of the pack guy who will put up top five numbers this year (when he is playing). The two low end guys might be combined into another middle of the pack guy.

With so ? at RB, I decided to take three studs who should get a high % of the RB touches for their team. All of them are three down backs. Downside is that I only have three stud RB's....with one cheap back up who is in a good situation for playing time if the starter goes down (and there is history on my side there...worth a gamble). If my main three stay healthy I will be fine...and if they get hot at the right time, they will dominate.

I'm feeling more vulnerable at WR. 1 stud, 3 middle of the pack who catch a lot of balls, and 1 flyer who could explode if the cards fall right....but that will take at least one injury for that to happen. I think it will be safe to say that my flex will not be coming from this group.

TE is the group most likely to change....currently sitting at 4 TEs. 2 middle of the road guys who can break into the top 10 at the position. The bottom two have a lot of ? right now. If I don't use them, they will most likely be switched for an extra RB and WR flyer.

At kicker and Defense, I am taking 3 low priced picks each who have different bye weeks.

Like I said at the start, going with 22 makes me nervous...this will most likely change a lot as we get closer to the start of the season and more information comes out on the lower priced guys and injuries happen.

Honestly, I'm not sure why I have spent as much time on this as I have before week three of the pre-season. Damn...why am I still typing.................

Wright has a better situation than last year and he still out performed Williams who was extremely disappointing. I am not sure how Brown's situation is anemic, Fitzgerald isn't a down field threat anymore, but still needs to be accounted for over the middle and Floyd is always hurt/under producing.

Perriman is a rookie who is still like 4th on the depth chart

Quick is coming off an injury and you call Brown's situation bad. New quarterback, and a coach that loves to run the ball and play defense.

Johnson is going to an offense that is known to spread it around, he is going to have to compete with Gates/Green, Allen, Woodhead, and Floyd for targets.

Jones is iffy as well, Green, Gio and Eifert if he stays healthy are all going to probably see more passes thrown their way than Jones.

If you're looking for some historical survival rate data on roster construction while building lineups, feel free to use the querier here: http://o.ffense.com/fbg35k/querier/index.phpIt's been updated with last year's results and goes back to 2007.

Also, in the absence of any other solutions I'm planning to run the live scoring again this year. However, I'm pretty busy and it's only going to get much worse once we roll into NFL season, so if anyone ever wanted to try their hand at putting together a live scoring app for the contest I'd be happy to pass the torch. If you're on the fence, consider that at this time last year I'd never done anything like this in my life and in the span of a couple of weeks with a bunch of googling I was able to get a working site up and running. It was a tremendous learning experience for me, and it actually helped me land my current job which is awesome. Like I said, I can fire it up again this year but if anyone wants to take a crack at it please feel free, and let me know if you have any questions.

If you're looking for some historical survival rate data on roster construction while building lineups, feel free to use the querier here: http://o.ffense.com/fbg35k/querier/index.phpIt's been updated with last year's results and goes back to 2007.

Also, in the absence of any other solutions I'm planning to run the live scoring again this year. However, I'm pretty busy and it's only going to get much worse once we roll into NFL season, so if anyone ever wanted to try their hand at putting together a live scoring app for the contest I'd be happy to pass the torch. If you're on the fence, consider that at this time last year I'd never done anything like this in my life and in the span of a couple of weeks with a bunch of googling I was able to get a working site up and running. It was a tremendous learning experience for me, and it actually helped me land my current job which is awesome. Like I said, I can fire it up again this year but if anyone wants to take a crack at it please feel free, and let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for all the work you did! Following your posts/tracking every week was more entertaining for me than the actual contest. Great stuff...

I remember this. Last year I did it for the first time and lost horribly. It's just hard for me...
Most people will lose horribly. This contest is more like a longshot/lottery thing. Even if you make it to the final weeks, you're having to predict the top players 3+ months in advance.

Still, it's a lot of fun putting a roster together (and adjusting it hundreds of times).

Please remind me...Does the entry form get updated between its initial release and the submission deadline? The reason I ask is I noticed some sleepers I really like (ex. Stefon Diggs) are not on the entry form.

Please remind me...Does the entry form get updated between its initial release and the submission deadline? The reason I ask is I noticed some sleepers I really like (ex. Stefon Diggs) are not on the entry form.
That's one of the biggest complaints. But given the difficulty of adding players or adjusting, we really can't blame them.

In terms of dirt-cheap bottom of the roster guys at each position, I like Ryan Fitzpatrick, Andre Williams, Nick Toon and Scott Chandler.

Felt easier than normal to grab 4 or 5 elite players with Marshawn Lynch, CJ Anderson, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, AJ Green and Mike Evans among the more affordable top guys.

In terms of dirt-cheap bottom of the roster guys at each position, I like Ryan Fitzpatrick, Andre Williams, Nick Toon and Scott Chandler.

Felt easier than normal to grab 4 or 5 elite players with Marshawn Lynch, CJ Anderson, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, AJ Green and Mike Evans among the more affordable top guys.
Felt the same way for me

it's as if you copied my roster.

Users who are viewing this thread