What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Subscriber Contest to be Unveiled by Wednesday Morning (1 Viewer)

Funny thing about Thomas is while I've liked him for awhile this year, I hear fantasy analysts saying that there are too many targets in Denver so Thomas won't get his shot. But I thought, "Yeah, there are tons of good receivers in Denver, and Manning can always hit the open receiver." I hoped Thomas would benefit from this embarrassment of riches, and he did.

Shocked Julian Thomas is only 28%. I would say anybody who doesn't have him and Thompkins isn't paying attention. Only about 3300 have both.
Count me in for one who paid attention to those guys...now, the other schmucks I have on my team...I may have fell asleep on.

Yeah, but how did you know the number of entries before the contest closed?
I'm assuming jdog took a guess. Just about every year in this thing at least the first week has been a free pass for everyone due to low number of entries.

Sounds like jdog was risking it would happen again. It factored in to my choice of Gronk too, and was one of the reasons I really wanted to get Gordon on the team as well. I figured at least one week of his suspension might get eaten up.

Semi-surprised with the Fan Duel stuff that they entries didn't spike this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a team out there that has all of my top 6 guys + he also has Brees on top of it (I don't). He afforded him by going 1K, 1D though so I have to hope that guy is gone some week 3k,3d saves me.

Suggestion for a future enhancement - make it a percentage basis so that people are dropped regardless of the number of entries.

~ said a Julius Thomas owner

Julio/Demaryius/Gronk and I am already unique. That has to be the smallest unique stud combination I have had in this contest.

Kept going back and forth between 18 players to 26 players. Decided to go Quality over quantity in the end. Once I decided I wasn't going to pay the premium for Graham, all the other positions got easier.

19 Players

Peyton Manning $26

Tony Romo $15

Jamaal Charles $31

Matt Forte $26

David Wilson $21

Giovanni Bernard $16

Julio Jones $27

Demaryius Thomas $24

Reggie Wayne $19

Miles Austin $14

Jason Avant $2

Kenbrell Thompkins $2

Jordan Cameron $12

Anthony Fasano $2

Julius Thomas $2

Stephen Haushka $3

Robbie Gould $3

New England Patriots $5

Carolina Panthers $3

Had I known the entries were so low I would have had Gordon and Blackmon at WR.

I came here today to talk about how bittersweet it was to see my Julius Thomas pick go off and how it's a shame that everyone else in the contest has him too...Then I saw that it was only 28% of you have him....sweet.

I came here today to talk about how bittersweet it was to see my Julius Thomas pick go off and how it's a shame that everyone else in the contest has him too...Then I saw that it was only 28% of you have him....sweet.
then you realized 100% of the non-thomas owners are also moving on to week 2...

1st Place: $20,000 + lifetime subscription to Footballguys.com + 2013 FPC entry + Titlecraft Trophy
2nd Place: $4,000 + FPC 3-Pack + 3-year subscription to Footballguys.com
3rd Place: $2,000 + FPC 3-Pack + 3-year subscription to Footballguys.com
4th Place: $1,500 + FPC Entry + 3-year subscription to Footballguys.com
5th Place: $1,000 + FPC Entry + 2013 subscription to Footballguys.com
6th place: $500 + 2013 subscription to Footballguys.com
7th place: $300 + 2013 subscription to Footballguys.com
8th place: $200 + 2013 subscription to Footballguys.com
9th place: $125 + 2013 subscription to Footballguys.com
10th place: $75 + 2013 subscription to Footballguys.com
11th - 15th place: $50
16th - 30th place: $40
31st - 100th place: $30
101st place - 150th place: $25

are the subscription suppose to be 2014, same thing with FPC entry?

then you realized 100% of the non-thomas owners are also moving on to week 2...
Well here's hoping it lasts.
I also would of thought more people would have taken him also. For 2 bucks seems the best bang for your buck..

Also have Witten and Vernon Davis looks like Julius could be the leader this week. Although Witten could have double digit grabs this weekend

Every year I'm constantly amazed at the excitement level of people after 1 game. Yes, Manning and the Broncos offense looked great. I'm guessing that 7 TD passes and 49 points will be a bit of an outlier though.

Well, my team is unique at least...

No one has the same top four RBs

No one has the same top four WRs

No one has the same top four TEs

Wilson/Bradford

Charles/Rice/R Bush/Gio

Andre/Garcon/Shorts/G Tate

Cook/Allen/J Thomas/Fasano

QB - Colin Kaepernick - SF/9 - $18

QB - Andrew Luck - IND/8 - $16

RB - LeSean McCoy - PHI/12 - $27

RB - Matt Forte - CHI/8 - $26

RB - David Wilson - NYG/9 - $21

RB - Joique Bell - DET/9 - $6

WR - Calvin Johnson DET/9 - $31

WR - Danny Amendola - NE/10 - $19

WR - Vincent Brown - SD/8 - $9

WR - Mohamed Sanu - CIN/12 - $6

WR - Jacoby Ford - OAK/7 - $2

WR - Kenbrell Thompkins - NE/10 - $2

TE - Jimmy Graham - NO/7 - $31

TE - Jason Witten - DAL/11 - $23

TE - Julius Thomas - DEN/9 - $2

PK - Randy Bullock - HOU/8 - $4

PK - Josh Brown - NYG/9 - $3

TD - Cleveland Browns - CLE/10 - $4

Total Value: 250 Number of Players: 18

Im hoping that the extra boost of 1.5 ppr for TE and the 2 added RB/WR/TE flex spots will make this heavy TE upside strategy pay off...

We Shall See

I know the historical results show smaller rosters have fair well in the past but with the addition of 2nd flex poistion this wil put more pressure on the smaller rosters. Believe we'll see a changing trend of larger rosters performing better.

I know the historical results show smaller rosters have fair well in the past but with the addition of 2nd flex poistion this wil put more pressure on the smaller rosters. Believe we'll see a changing trend of larger rosters performing better.
Agreed. Wish I would have read the rules this year. I picked based on memory from last season. :bag:

Agreed. Wish I would have read the rules this year. I picked based on memory from last season. :bag:
They took away 1 WR spot to create that 2nd flex though.

-QG

I think the opposite is true. This is my first year going with a smaller roster, and it was due to the 2nd flex replacing the 3rd WR.

I think the opposite is true. This is my first year going with a smaller roster, and it was due to the 2nd flex replacing the 3rd WR.
Agreed... I think historically results have shown larger rosters to do better (specifically during the elimination rounds) and then it is arguable whether results have shown any true indication that smaller rosters do better in the final 3 weeks.

But I think eliminating the 3rd required WR in favor a 2nd flex helps the smaller rosters more than the larger ones, and the elimination of the 3rd final scoring week also helps the smaller rosters.

In the end historically I think the sweet spot was somewhere around 22-25 players. Now I think it's closer to 21-23

Will be interesting to see what happens. Some of us still thought the value laid with the WR position (and OF COURSE we knew Julius Thomas would score like 9000 points ;) )

-QG

It's been very interesting seeing the rosters. Here's mine:

QB-Brady, Vick, Palmer: Felt Vick and Palmer were both good value.

RB--Peterson/Min, Richardson/Cle, Bush/Det, Moreno, Helu, Powell/NYJ: Moreno, Helu, and Powell were all good value.

WR--Bryant, Jackson/Phil, Givens, Thompkins/NE, Hey-Bey/Indy: Last 4 of these WRs were all excellent value.

TE--Cameron, Dickson, Fasano, Thomas: Really liked Thomas for the price.

PK--Bryant, Gost/NE

DEF--NE, Seattle: NE plays both Buffalo and the NYJ twice.

With the extra FLEX and not having to pick a LU, I wanted to be in a position where the FLEXs could come from multiple locations I feel that this team can do that.

Well, my team is unique at least...

No one has the same top four RBs

No one has the same top four WRs

No one has the same top four TEs

Wilson/Bradford

Charles/Rice/R Bush/Gio

Andre/Garcon/Shorts/G Tate

Cook/Allen/J Thomas/Fasano
How do you know? Did you have to go through every entry??

I had a hard time getting a read on this. Eventually I decided the flex-effect really had no bearing on the large vs small debate.

One thing I did decide was that with only 2WR's scoring, and the extra flex meant I shifted money over to RB's, which by and large are less streaky than WR's. In prior years, I probably put 20% more dollars into WR's, and this year was the opposite.

We'll see.

Big believer in the large rooster theory until very recently due to rule changes and prices for studs vs. joes have mellowed. Rolling with a 19 player lineup this year. Blasphemy!

Quarterbacks - Romo and Vick

Went with QB stud WR hook ups. You have to swing for the fences if your goal is to win. Didn't break the bank here either. Lower scoring for QB dictates spending less at this position.

Running backs - McCoy, Sproles, Bush plus long shots Jacquizz and Felix

RB get 1 PPR this year. If memory serves, it was only .5 PPR in prior years. I wanted to load up on backs who make a living catching passes out of the backfield. These guys will often get a "TD" per game just from their reception totals. Raise the floor boys.

Wide receivers - Dez Bryant, Antonio Brown, Danny Amendola, DeSean Jackson and Kenbrell Thompkins

Dez is my #1 projected WR this year. Posting here to be mocked later...Antonio Brown will be a fantasy #1 WR this season as long as Ben is healthy. Great separation and Ben looks for him on most plays (even some run plays). The team has also worked very hard at the lolly-pop pass to the front pylon of the end zone. The TDs will be there for the taking. Amendola and DeSean are primed for career seasons and scream pick me!!! pick me!!!

Tight ends - Graham, Stocker and Julius Thomas

Didn't intend to go shallow here, but the value was with the wide receivers for the flex plays. Even with TE getting 1.5 PPR, think fast, who will score more fantasy points? Amendola or Vernon Davis? They are both $19. I couldn't justify spending more here. Only exception would have been a Graham / Gronk combo, but I don't trust Gronks health. .

Biggest preseason regret - The one player that I really wanted to sqeeze in was Gio Bernard from Cinci. I had McCoy locked in from GO and have too many week 12 byes as it is. If I weren't blinded by McCoy as my bell cow I would have pulled the trigger.

I decided to go all studs with a shorter roster. Week 10 is going to be rough for me, but I figured that I only need 1 player to have a great week and I have the firepower for it. I will also need to avoid any injuries late. I finished 5th last year, and without looking back I think I used a similar strategy. We'll see what happens, should be fun.

QB: Tom Brady, EJ Manuel

RB: Adrian Peterson, Trent Richardson, Chris Johnson, LaGarrette Blount, Chris Polk

WR: Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant, Danny Amendola, Golden Tate, Kenbrell Thompkins

TE: Rob Gronkowski, Julius Thomas

K: Greg Zuerlein, Josh Brown

DEF: New England Patriots, Cincinnati Bengals

Here's my roster, I didn't have a lot of time on it this year, one and done for the lineup. My strategy was to find the best value plays first, then look at it from a low ownership perspective and try to find a good balance... I think I came up with a decent team.

I thought Brady was good value and expecting lower ownership out of the other two with chance for some decent games.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom Brady $19
Brandon Weeden $8
Jake Locker $8

Went strong at RB and with what I felt were the best value backups... I was comfortable with 3 starters based on their bye weeks and the new flex rules this year.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trent Richardson $27 0.00
Matt Forte $26 0.00 bye
David Wilson $21 0.00 bye
Joique Bell $6 0.00 bye
Christine Michael $5 0.00 bye

Again, the new flex rules helped this selection... 3 solid WR's with a lot of possible talent.
A.J. Green $25 0.00 bye
Andre Johnson $21 0.00 bye
Dwayne Bowe $19 0.00 bye
Markus Wheaton $5 0.00 bye
Keenan Allen $4 0.00 bye
Nate Washington $4 0.00 bye
Josh Morgan $3 0.00 bye
Kenbrell Thompkins $2 0.00 bye

I played this one a lot different than previous years and went with swing for the fences potential talent instead of the safer picks... We'll see how it works out.

Jared Cook $15 0.00 bye
Delanie Walker $6 0.00 bye
Kellen Winslow Jr $4 0.00 bye
Julius Thomas $2 0.00 bye

Best value I saw IMO
Randy Bullock $4 0.00 bye
Steve Hauschka $3 0.00 bye

Went for value and thought the Ravens would be better than they looked last night.
Green Bay Packers $5 0.00 bye
Arizona Cardinals $4 0.00 bye
Baltimore Ravens $4 0.0

Why does every team posted here have Julian Thomas but only 28% hold him in the game?
You'll find that, on the whole, the people in this thread take the contest more seriously than those who aren't and spend more time in the forums. They're more likely to recognize the hyped players like Julian's brother Julius.

bleachercreacher said:
I decided to go all studs with a shorter roster. Week 10 is going to be rough for me, but I figured that I only need 1 player to have a great week and I have the firepower for it. I will also need to avoid any injuries late. I finished 5th last year, and without looking back I think I used a similar strategy. We'll see what happens, should be fun.

QB: Tom Brady, EJ Manuel

RB: Adrian Peterson, Trent Richardson, Chris Johnson, LaGarrette Blount, Chris Polk

WR: Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant, Danny Amendola, Golden Tate, Kenbrell Thompkins

TE: Rob Gronkowski, Julius Thomas

K: Greg Zuerlein, Josh Brown

DEF: New England Patriots, Cincinnati Bengals
Will be interesting to see how you fair week 10. With the flex you need 7 players to score from the RB/WR/TE positions. You'll only have 8 from those positions going that week and two of those are Blount and Polk. And Brady will be sitting as well.

Users who are viewing this thread