What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 44 starts on page 5 (1 Viewer)

Haven't watched the first episode of the new season yet but if there's anymore of the woke ******** Probst introduced last time, it will be a hard pass for me.

"Should I stop using the term 'guys'?"

And the guy crying about representing the hard of hearing community while talking about his pregnant husband. Utterly ridiculous.

If you want to wreck a franchise, follow the above plan. Based on the promo ads I saw in the last month, a lot of people tuned out. A message along the lines of you don't know what you've been missing.

I can't watch the US version any more. Australian Survivor is better on every level.

Also love the way they air 3 episodes a week (Sun Mon Tue).

Haven't watched the first episode of the new season yet but if there's anymore of the woke ******** Probst introduced last time, it will be a hard pass for me.

And the guy crying about representing the hard of hearing community while talking about his pregnant husband. Utterly ridiculous.

If you want to wreck a franchise, follow the above plan. Based on the promo ads I saw in the last month, a lot of people tuned out. A message along the lines of you don't know what you've been missing.

I can't watch the US version any more. Australian Survivor is better on every level.

When Jeff decided there was something wrong with saying guys that just about did it for me. Still watching though but really no comparison between the shows. Australian head and shoulders above US. I think it starts with casting much more interesting characters on Aussie version.

When Jeff decided there was something wrong with saying guys that just about did it for me. Still watching though but really no comparison between the shows. Australian head and shoulders above US. I think it starts with casting much more interesting characters on Aussie version.
I still watch too but that was also the low point for me.

And it was not just him asking the question that bothered me. It is my belief that after everyone immediately said "no, that is fine, no one cares" that I think a producer coerced one of the contestants off camera to "change their mind" the next day so that the whole thing would not look moronic for even asking such a dumb question.

It looked so dumb that I also think that if they were not able to get some one to flip, that they would have simply edited out the entire question.

I still watch too but that was also the low point for me.

And it was not just him asking the question that bothered me. It is my belief that after everyone immediately said "no, that is fine, no one cares" that I think a producer coerced one of the contestants off camera to "change their mind" the next day so that the whole thing would not look moronic for even asking such a dumb question.

It looked so dumb that I also think that if they were not able to get some one to flip, that they would have simply edited out the entire question.
I could have cared less about the guys thing but I would have been fine if someone had a problem with it initially. That’s where I had the issue because even the couple people that I assume it was targeted towards were fine. There’s no doubt in my mind that the guys thing didn’t go the way they wanted and they manufactured the problem with it.

They really went for the whackadoodle theme this season.
Yeah, the gameplay at the first tribal was egregiously bad. He had to play the idol because it was so obvious. You could say it was a good call, but it was a no-brainer. The rest was just terrible. Two SITDs by people whose names never came up and targeting a guy with an idol knowing he has to play it. It wasn’t hidden, but it was like they never even thought, hmm what happens if he plays the idol?

The yoga lady on that team and the drug counselor are legit whacky and we’ve barely met everybody.

Why anyone would want to work with Carolyn is beyond me
The only reason is that she is completely insane. Some people think they can work with that.
If she survives a few more episodes, she's going to the end. Classic Noura/Angelina kooky zero-votes candidate. Gabler kind of looked like that at this point in S43, but his social game turned out to be really good and I don't know if Carolyn has that potential.

Carson's decision doesn't make sense based on what we were shown. I'm thinking either he knew Sarah didn't have a vote, Carolyn had the idol or both. Nothing else explains it.

Great chance to discover a hidden idol, leave a fake idol with a real parchment in its place, hide the key for some other sucker to find, and have it totally believable because the bag has been in everyone's sight this whole time... and he blows it :lmao:

Glad to see one of the three people who got the key thought of this.

And, did anyone else notice... the fake idol in Danny's bag is designed to look like the real idol from Carolyn's bag? And Danny's real idol looks like Brandon's fake idol? And Brandon's real idol is a match to Carolyn's fake?

That is, each tribe's real idol matches the fake idol from another tribe's bag. The producers are setting up for some massive round of distrust that I hope is just Chekov's gun waiting to go off...

The only reason is that she is completely insane. Some people think they can work with that.

Carson's decision doesn't make sense based on what we were shown. I'm thinking either he knew Sarah didn't have a vote, Carolyn had the idol or both. Nothing else explains it.
Helen in her exit press confirmed that both she and Carson knew that Sarah didn't have a vote.

Which means Carson knew that voting with Helen and Sarah would only result in a 2-2 tie, and potentially lead to another Daniel Strunk fiasco. And no player wants that (it's good for the viewers, though.)

With the cage...it seemed like a stick could have gotten it off without needing the key. Must have told people you have to use the key.

If she survives a few more episodes, she's going to the end. Classic Noura/Angelina kooky zero-votes candidate. Gabler kind of looked like that at this point in S43, but his social game turned out to be really good and I don't know if Carolyn has that potential.
I think Carolyn seems more quirky and eccentric than crazy. Whatever she is, none of her tribe suspected her of having the idol, so her personality seems to have helped her in that sense (so far).

Lol. What kind of idiot gets on survivor and then sits out every single challenge?

And it's not like she's some 65 year old grandma. She's a 25 year old who appears to be in pretty good shape.

Man, what a waste of space that one was.
Yeah and her reasoning was the kiss of death. Said she loved Survivor and wanted to do all the challenges and such to get the full experience but wanted her tribe to win more so sat out. Translation - I expect to be historically bad at challenges and don't want to embarrass myself so will just sit out.
I thought there was a rule you couldn't sit out back to back challenges?
Love that there are 2 fake idols in play. Especially like that they surprised us with the second one. What did Carolyn do with her fake idol?

I think Carolyn seems more quirky and eccentric than crazy. Whatever she is, none of her tribe suspected her of having the idol, so her personality seems to have helped her in that sense (so far).
She’s nuts but has a good personality and does interesting stuff.

Agree with both you and simey. I think my problem is she reminds me of someone at my office that causes me to run away screaming to get away from her. I could only take so much quirky before I lose it.

Lol. What kind of idiot gets on survivor and then sits out every single challenge?

And it's not like she's some 65 year old grandma. She's a 25 year old who appears to be in pretty good shape.

I thought there was a rule you couldn't sit out back to back challenges?
Only if there is more than one challenge in a single episode. It used to be a routine thing for Jeff to say because almost all episodes had two challenges. In recent seasons, most don't.

Jeff said on his podcast that they are considering modifying the rule to "no back-to-back sitouts ever, regardless of what episode the challenges appear in."

I suspect the rule is the way it is because viewers couldn't be expected to remember who sat out the previous episode. But now that a lot of people binge seasons all at once, that may not be an issue anymore.

Did Danny inadvertently take the target away from Matt and Frannie by broadcasting that Matt had an idol (which only Danny knows is fake)?

In previous episodes and at the beginning of the post-challenge scrambling, all the talk was "they are a strong pair/showmance and must be broken up." And then all of the sudden the debate was Claire vs. Josh. Did Heidi and Josh get spooked by Matt having an "idol"?

Did Danny inadvertently take the target away from Matt and Frannie by broadcasting that Matt had an idol (which only Danny knows is fake)?

In previous episodes and at the beginning of the post-challenge scrambling, all the talk was "they are a strong pair/showmance and must be broken up." And then all of the sudden the debate was Claire vs. Josh. Did Heidi and Josh get spooked by Matt having an "idol"?

Yeah I feel, especially so early and on a small pre-swap, pre-merge tribe, Danny could have gotten more mileage out of seeing what Matt did with the idol, who he shared the info with, etc., rather than by blowing up his game immediately. Letting it stay a secret for a bit longer and potentially into a swap or down-merge from 3 tribes to 2 could have opened up some opportunities for Danny.

Also, "HA HA! You idiots thought you could outsmart me! Jokes on you!"

Promptly goes home.

Promptly goes home.
This was an example of bad editing.

Promptly goes home.
We're sleeping on a baffling move by Claire: Going to Frannie and suggesting they VOTE OUT HER SHOWMANCE PARTNER. In no group of castaways is suggesting to Showmance Partner #1 that they vote out Showmance Partner #2 ever going to get any traction.

Promptly goes home.
We're sleeping on a baffling move by Claire: Going to Frannie and suggesting they VOTE OUT HER SHOWMANCE PARTNER. In no group of castaways is suggesting to Showmance Partner #1 that they vote out Showmance Partner #2 ever going to get any traction.
They made such a big deal about it too. It’s like the first week. Hey, let’s get rid of the guy with the idol but let’s not think about what could happen if he does. Oops, I guess I go home.

One other thing that’s kind of funny is that, aside from the spectacle of seeing a fake idol played, Danny and shoulder boy can’t really share the info otherwise they kind of out themselves.

So did Barbershop Matthew actually find an idol, or did Brandon get his head together and hide his fake, which Matthew found, and made a fake of? I couldn't follow that closely enough.

So did Barbershop Matthew actually find an idol, or did Brandon get his head together and hide his fake, which Matthew found, and made a fake of? I couldn't follow that closely enough.
Barbershop Matthew found an idol (which was rehidden after Brandon played his) and made his own fake, which is now in Jaime's possession.

Surprised not a single post after the show. I watched it last night but this season may be boring folks. I have no clue why Sarah didn’t play her idol. I know it’s fake but in her exit interview she clearly thought it was real. That’s two people who voted off people that they suspected/knew had idols and seemingly had no thought on what would happen if they did play it. When Brandon played his the girl I don’t even remember didn’t have an idol to play but both had inklings that they’d could get voted yet they still did nothing.

Seriously has been a lot of really poor play and strategy. At least a couple people played idols when they knew they were in trouble. Outside of that a lot of really bad play and stupidity (diving head first at a log and climbing a wet rock).

Surprised not a single post after the show. I watched it last night but this season may be boring folks. I have no clue why Sarah didn’t play her idol. I know it’s fake but in her exit interview she clearly thought it was real. That’s two people who voted off people that they suspected/knew had idols and seemingly had no thought on what would happen if they did play it. When Brandon played his the girl I don’t even remember didn’t have an idol to play but both had inklings that they’d could get voted yet they still did nothing.

Seriously has been a lot of really poor play and strategy. At least a couple people played idols when they knew they were in trouble. Outside of that a lot of really bad play and stupidity (diving head first at a log and climbing a wet rock).
We are enjoying this season. We have not watched for several years and just started watching it again. I like that they were smart enough to put the fake idols back in the bird cage.

We are enjoying this season. We have not watched for several years and just started watching it again. I like that they were smart enough to put the fake idols back in the bird cage.
I’m enjoying it as well even with the dumb stuff. I laughed at Sarah saying she should have played the idol. I hope last week was the first time she realized she had a fake.

I liked the bird cages instead of just random idol searches which IMHO might be placed on purpose (put it on well for a player who goes there the most).

My only worry again is that we have so many things in play. We added 2 (1 used, will it come back in play?) idols this week alone, so that means there are already 6 in play and a couple fake idols for what 13 people? One person has a fake and a real one and we aren’t even at the merge. I liked the swapping of team members, but I would think there will be at least one more “trip” which likely has nullifiers or have the powers. Just feels like too many again.

Decent episode that would've been better had Sarah played her fake idol.
I wonder if the 3 who switched tribes talked about their cover story so they'd all be the same?
Never understood the players that crawl across balance beams. Even if successful on the first try it takes soooo much longer.

Speaking about stupidity. I was surprised when Danny was doing flips onto the net during the challenge. He didn't need to do it and it reeked of "Look at me and this cool thing I just did". I commented to my wife that he's an injury waiting to happen. He also did a dive into the water after the challenge and Jeff commented "I'd give that a 11!". So that will only stoke his fire to keep getting attention.

Speaking about stupidity. I was surprised when Danny was doing flips onto the net during the challenge. He didn't need to do it and it reeked of "Look at me and this cool thing I just did". I commented to my wife that he's an injury waiting to happen. He also did a dive into the water after the challenge and Jeff commented "I'd give that a 11!". So that will only stoke his fire to keep getting attention.
They don't cast cautious introverts, so there will be a lot more of this.

They don't cast cautious introverts, so there will be a lot more of this.
True. They seem to have also upped the quirky quota with this season's cast. Carolyn, Yam Yam, the woman who says she has a magic wand that allows her to will things to happen, Kane who was singing Oh Canada and talking about being a hero.

I wonder if the 3 who switched tribes talked about their cover story so they'd all be the same?
They didn't know there was going to be a tribe swap until they separated.
Ahh, thought it was an idol and buff in the bag
It was. But when they were together, they had no idea that's what they were getting. They probably thought they were doing another "risk your vote for a shot at an advantage" thing. Then they went down separate paths and learned what was going to happen.

Promptly goes home.
In Claire's defense, it was early in the game (Day 5?) and she may have thought the Showmance roots weren't that deep.
Frannie may have just been doing a good acting job,but I thought she would be open to an all girl alliance at some point. I also got the impression that she may throw Matt to the side if it gets her further in the game. We'll see I guess.

Promptly goes home.
In Claire's defense, it was early in the game (Day 5?) and she may have thought the Showmance roots weren't that deep.
Frannie may have just been doing a good acting job,but I thought she would be open to an all girl alliance at some point. I also got the impression that she may throw Matt to the side if it gets her further in the game. We'll see I guess.
We just haven't seen a whole lot of what the real dynamics are on that tribe. I suspect Matt and Frannie will stick together for as long as they can until it makes sense for one to ditch the other. Most likely she would cut him before he would cut her because he's in a weird headspace with his recent breakup and she isn't (that we're aware of.)

Users who are viewing this thread