What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 44 starts on page 5 (2 Viewers)

Gabler needs to get some tax advice. The entire $1 million is taxable income, but only around 50% of the contribution is deductible in the current year (exact amount depends on the rest of his return). He could be looking at having to pay around $150-250K in taxes from other assets (depending on where he lives).

Interesting that since forced firemaking at F4 began in S35, only one person who has won F4 immunity and not given it up to make fire has gone on to win the game (Nick in S37). Four people who won firemaking won (including Chris in S38, who won immunity and gave it up), and three people who were taken to the end by the F4 immunity holder won.

It's a fair point. But winning that final immunity is just an advantage, it's not a surefire path to victory. It's all in how you got there. I don't think Cass was able to make a good case for her path, at least, not as good as Gabler... both were on the right side of all the votes, so the differentiation was in the little things that Gabler did that she didn't.

I don't think her making fire and winning would have put her over the top. By the time you get to final 6/5/4... options are limited, the game has been mostly played. Her game to that point wasn't that impressive. She survived, sure, but so did the others... not like you could swap in some goats at the finish line (anymore, thankfully).

Gabler's only winning move is what he said previously.. Tell the Jury that if he wins the whole amount will go to help Veterans.

Could be a close vote as I can easily seeing spilt votes between Owen and Cassidy who are both worthy.
:popcorn:
Gabler KILLED it in Final Tribal.. Two season in a row where Final Tribal made the decision.

Last season the person who should have won SUCKED at final tribal and lost.
This time the person I didn't think had a chance(Gabler) crushed it and won all but 1 vote :bow:

Firemaking at the 4->3 TC is one of the best changes the game has ever made. Its the essential "survival skill" and it still gives a huge advantage to the winner of the last challenge. And its been used in a bunch of different ways. You can use to try and eliminate a big threat, bring a big threat with you (so you can say they're only there because you "allowed it") and as a potential resume builder if you have the guts/need to give up immunity and knock someone out yourself.

Big fan. Hope they never change it.

Sorry, noone can convince me that Cassidy should have given up immunity and went to fire.. Would have been as dumb as that one season the guy gave up his immunity necklace to save the woman, and then got voted out.

She worked too dam hard to win immunity to just give it up to hopefully beat Jessie in building a fire.
Even if she did that, I still think she'd lose as Gabler killed it at TC. :shrug:

Gallery has 2 daughters. They couldn't use the money?
Gabler works in medical device sales and support, sometimes sitting in on procedures to make sure the equipment is working and being used correctly. People in that position make more than 200K per year*. He's been doing this for more than 20 years. And he lives in Idaho, where the cost of living is much less than it is on the coasts. So he's probably got his retirement and his kids' college tuitions and weddings already saved for. He's not insanely rich but he's not hurting his family by doing this.

* - I know people in this field because I cover cardiology and I used to cover the medical device industry.

Ok, I think I would have voted with James, but that was a really cool ending.
All juries say they are going in with an open mind, but often that's not the case. Here, though, I think it was -- though I think Owen never really had a shot and they were being nice to him by saying that. None of the three finalists had an obvious case to win like Jesse, Karla and Cody did.

So I think it's quite possible that Gabler won with his answers at FTC, like Maryanne did in 42. He explained his game well and the jury agreed he deserved credit for taking out Elie at the fake merge and steering the mid-merge votes with Jesse and Cody. Whereas nobody bought Cassidy's argument that she ever drove strategy. And they especially didn't buy her rationale that she didn't need to put herself in fire against Jesse -- which I didn't either when she told Jesse that after the F4 challenge -- and that she thought she could beat Gabler even if he took out Jesse in fire. You could see Jesse squirm when she repeated those things to the jury, and that may have been the moment where she lost the game.

When you are at F4 and one player is the clear favorite, whoever takes them out in fire gets a huge boost in esteem from the jury. The immunity winner should recognize that and be the one to try to take them out. Deciding not to do so cost Natalie a chance to win Winners at War, and it may have cost Cassidy her shot here.

I liked this instant reunion better than those in 41 and 42. Mostly because it seems like this cast really likes each other, and that was not the case in 41 and 42. So there wasn't anywhere near as much awkwardness this time.
That whole fire thing is ridiculous. That’s the stupidest play ever to go up against Jesse in a fire challenge. You win immunity and you set who sits where. It’s annoying to think Gabler got so much by beating Jesse and Cass got dinged because she played it out perfectly by putting Gabler there. She got the exact result she wanted and putting herself in harm’s way is the dumbest thing I’ve heard. While the jury may have voted that way, Cass had a pretty solid resume, far better IMHO than Gabler. Gabler made people laugh at the last tribal and his showman skills shines.

Her answer was fine to me. I just assume that Cass wasn’t as well like as she maybe thought. I mean, she saw through Jesse wanting someone to beat in the fire challenge by trying to convince her. She saw through Karla trying to convince her to get rid of Jesse. One would say she got exactly what she wanted. It’s weird that she got no credit for that and even got dinged because she didn’t do fire herself. That’s like congratulating Cody for giving away his idol because he needed to head on beat Karla and forgetting that giving up immunity is dumb and cost him. It’s just weird to think how dumb we all said Cody was for giving up immunity and then ding Cass for not giving up immunity.

Everyone else would have 100% wanted Gabler next to them in the final 3. The jury voted as they wanted to vote. I would have voted Cass just because Gabler was never considered a threat and was absolutely being brought along by everyone. Not a single person voting for him should have been a negative. He had no idol and no one was afraid of him. I do think they were more anti-Cass than pro Gabler and he gave them enough to vote that way.
I believe you are 100% correct.

Im not a fan of fire tbh. i dont have an alternative but i dont like it at 4.

Otherwise great season. Props to Gabler. The fact he didnt even use donating that money in his final speech just makes it all that much more rewarding. CBS should match it.

Cass really thought she was gonna win. Seeing her face when the votes were read was great. Do we think Karla poisoned the Jury for her like she threatened?

I was rooting for Jesse though. But alas.
I think she may have. I honestly think their minds were made up. I don’t think Owen and Cass were as well liked. They seemed to gravitate towards each other when they won the last two immunities really congratulating each other.

I think Gabler had a great tribal but no one called him out on anything. If Cass had never gotten a vote and tried to use that, she likely gets a different response like a well that’s because you weren’t a threat. I think Gabler gave them a reason not to vote for Cass.

I guess I just look at it and think that Cass played everything out perfectly in the last 5, 4 and 3 to get exactly what she wanted and Gabler built a fire and nothing else. He was just a here’s who to vote for and Cass put him in the build a fire to get rid of Jesse.

I’m always more of a fan of people winning the game but this jury did seem a bit bitter, not in their questions, but they absolutely did not want to vote for Cass and to a lesser degree Owen. It still boggles my mind, unless they were bitter, that Jesse and Karla couldn’t acknowledge that Cass saw through them and was responsible for getting them out. A lot of times that gets kudos but definitely not last night.

That said, Gabler was fun and his donation was awesome.

I just think that so much comes down to the final speeches. id almost go as far to say that 75% of your ability to win has to do with the final council. You could play the perfect game but if you cant explain it, you can lose. And you could play and average or Goat game and absolutely kill that final council and win. Gabler had a great final council and surprised me because i probably would have voted Cass even though i wasnt really a huge fan. I think she lost folks when she got caught out there misleading a bit.

Nowadays its not just about how many imunities you won.

Gallery has 2 daughters. They couldn't use the money?
Gabler works in medical device sales and support, sometimes sitting in on procedures to make sure the equipment is working and being used correctly. People in that position make more than 200K per year*. He's been doing this for more than 20 years. And he lives in Idaho, where the cost of living is much less than it is on the coasts. So he's probably got his retirement and his kids' college tuitions and weddings already saved for. He's not insanely rich but he's not hurting his family by doing this.

* - I know people in this field because I cover cardiology and I used to cover the medical device industry.
did not know that about him. Yea if hes a sales engineer or sales rep in this space he likely does quite well especially if hes good.

Ok, I think I would have voted with James, but that was a really cool ending.
All juries say they are going in with an open mind, but often that's not the case. Here, though, I think it was -- though I think Owen never really had a shot and they were being nice to him by saying that. None of the three finalists had an obvious case to win like Jesse, Karla and Cody did.

So I think it's quite possible that Gabler won with his answers at FTC, like Maryanne did in 42. He explained his game well and the jury agreed he deserved credit for taking out Elie at the fake merge and steering the mid-merge votes with Jesse and Cody. Whereas nobody bought Cassidy's argument that she ever drove strategy. And they especially didn't buy her rationale that she didn't need to put herself in fire against Jesse -- which I didn't either when she told Jesse that after the F4 challenge -- and that she thought she could beat Gabler even if he took out Jesse in fire. You could see Jesse squirm when she repeated those things to the jury, and that may have been the moment where she lost the game.

When you are at F4 and one player is the clear favorite, whoever takes them out in fire gets a huge boost in esteem from the jury. The immunity winner should recognize that and be the one to try to take them out. Deciding not to do so cost Natalie a chance to win Winners at War, and it may have cost Cassidy her shot here.

I liked this instant reunion better than those in 41 and 42. Mostly because it seems like this cast really likes each other, and that was not the case in 41 and 42. So there wasn't anywhere near as much awkwardness this time.
That whole fire thing is ridiculous. That’s the stupidest play ever to go up against Jesse in a fire challenge. You win immunity and you set who sits where. It’s annoying to think Gabler got so much by beating Jesse and Cass got dinged because she played it out perfectly by putting Gabler there. She got the exact result she wanted and putting herself in harm’s way is the dumbest thing I’ve heard. While the jury may have voted that way, Cass had a pretty solid resume, far better IMHO than Gabler. Gabler made people laugh at the last tribal and his showman skills shines.

Her answer was fine to me. I just assume that Cass wasn’t as well like as she maybe thought. I mean, she saw through Jesse wanting someone to beat in the fire challenge by trying to convince her. She saw through Karla trying to convince her to get rid of Jesse. One would say she got exactly what she wanted. It’s weird that she got no credit for that and even got dinged because she didn’t do fire herself. That’s like congratulating Cody for giving away his idol because he needed to head on beat Karla and forgetting that giving up immunity is dumb and cost him. It’s just weird to think how dumb we all said Cody was for giving up immunity and then ding Cass for not giving up immunity.

Everyone else would have 100% wanted Gabler next to them in the final 3. The jury voted as they wanted to vote. I would have voted Cass just because Gabler was never considered a threat and was absolutely being brought along by everyone. Not a single person voting for him should have been a negative. He had no idol and no one was afraid of him. I do think they were more anti-Cass than pro Gabler and he gave them enough to vote that way.

Supposedly Karla really did go to Ponderosa and bash Cass. No real proof though. Does make more sense of why Gabler won. I think most of them had their minds made up going in.

And to those who said Gabler gave nice short direct answers ... wrong. It was edited that way. Apparently he rambled on and on and Jeff had to stop him a few times. That said, the answer that we did see were very well said. And Gabler supposedly had the jury laughing and smiling the whole time (ie there were eating up everything he was saying).

New season starting tonight. Is there a new thread for it? also if you arent watching the australian survivor season in progresss i highly recommend doing so. Its on its way to being one of the best seasons ever in the survivor franchise.

Firemaking at the 4->3 TC is one of the best changes the game has ever made. Its the essential "survival skill" and it still gives a huge advantage to the winner of the last challenge. And its been used in a bunch of different ways. You can use to try and eliminate a big threat, bring a big threat with you (so you can say they're only there because you "allowed it") and as a potential resume builder if you have the guts/need to give up immunity and knock someone out yourself.

Big fan. Hope they never change it.
I'm not a big fan of the fire challenge....and as far as the bolded......creating fire in real life may be an essential survival skill....but the fact that they are given flint/magnesium distances it from really being a survival skill IMO....

I thought Brandon made the right play, and he read it well with the lady playing her shot in the dark. When his "ally" played his as well, he had no choice but to play it. It also takes one target off his back, but he's got a lot of ground to make up in that tribe.

Feel really bad for Bruce who hurt himself in game. The way he dove under the first obstacle surprised me. He took that same speed to the second one and really cracked his head open. With a cut that deep I'm surprised they didn't take action earlier to make sure nothing got infected.

I did not feel as bad for Matthew. Not sure what he was thinking trying to climb a massive rock like that for no reason. He also didn't stand up for Brandon after saying he'd have his back. Not a fan.

Feel really bad for Bruce who hurt himself in game. The way he dove under the first obstacle surprised me. He took that same speed to the second one and really cracked his head open. With a cut that deep I'm surprised they didn't take action earlier to make sure nothing got infected.
I listened to Probst's new podcast. He said that Bruce has been officially asked to return for another season.

I listened to Probst's new podcast. He said that Bruce has been officially asked to return for another season.
I'm glad to hear that. Seems like someone who in a short period of time garnered a lot of respect from his tribe mates (and the other teams). It struck me how polite he was while Jeff told him he was being removed from the game.

New season starting tonight. Is there a new thread for it? also if you arent watching the australian survivor season in progresss i highly recommend doing so. Its on its way to being one of the best seasons ever in the survivor franchise.

Looking forward to the Aussie... I let it pile up and then I binge all the international versions in between US seasons. I'd watch live but I don't like trying to keep track of two different sets of tribes/advantages/etc at the same time lol

Great chance to discover a hidden idol, leave a fake idol with a real parchment in its place, hide the key for some other sucker to find, and have it totally believable because the bag has been in everyone's sight this whole time... and he blows it :lmao:

Just pure chaos. That premiere was unhinged. Possibly the craziest ever. Might be one insane season.

Last edited:
That was a good first episode.
- 4 appearances of the med team
- 1 player removed and 1 in a sling
- immunity idol found and played
- 2 shots in the dark played
Watching that girl fail miserably at throwing the hoop over the pole was brutal

Looking forward to the Aussie... I let it pile up and then I binge all the international versions in between US seasons. I'd watch live but I don't like trying to keep track of two different sets of tribes/advantages/etc at the same time lol
It's doable though, since US contestants will remind you (and everyone) repeatedly what 'secret' advantages they have.

It was entertaining.

I'm a couple of season behind on Australia, but really like it. My biggest issue is trying to understand what they are saying. It is amazing that it is so hard to understand people that speak the same language as you. We try using CC, but not every season has them available on the platform I am using.

How Australia deals with injury is better. Bruce would still be in following AU 24 hour medical exemption, and George would be out if they followed US method (torpedoing one of the best seasons I've seen).

Great chance to discover a hidden idol, leave a fake idol with a real parchment in its place, hide the key, and have it totally believable because the bag has been in everyone's sight this whole time... and he blows it :lmao:

Just pure chaos. That premiere was unhinged. Possibly the craziest ever. Might be one insane season.
It's certainly looking that way. Everyone on the orange tribe (Ratu) with the possible exception of Kane played terribly, and Kane might have made an enemy of Brandon because he was the only one remaining in the game who voted for him. And it was done in an entertaining way so I'm here for it.

I suspect the winner is coming from the Soka (green) tribe. The other two look like hot messes.

Maddy's pregame content gave me first-boot vibes, but I didn't expect it to happen quite this way. She played too hard too fast. And on a season where tribes start with only six people, targeting the strongest guy is a terrible idea.

Maddy's pregame content gave me first-boot vibes, but I didn't expect it to happen quite this way. She played too hard too fast. And on a season where tribes start with only six people, targeting the strongest guy is a terrible idea.
Yeah. Too bad Brandon didn't vote for the girl with the advantage. Since she didn't vote this time she now gets an extra vote and he will probably be the one targeted next vote.

Immunity idol SUCCESSFULLY played

and I don't get why those 2 decided to do their shot in the dark. you can only do that once the entire game. why waste it when you are not in trouble? just doesn't make sense.

and I don't get why those 2 decided to do their shot in the dark. you can only do that once the entire game. why waste it when you are not in trouble? just doesn't make sense.

The girl played her Shot in the Dark as cover for her missing vote, she'd have to explain why one was missing from the urn because she pocketed the parchment for an extra vote later. I think the guy was just worried his injury would send him home. New player/First Tribal Panic.

I think players don't really consider SitD as a worthwhile element of gameplay that needs protecting. It seems like one of those things where if you really need it, you have bigger problems, and even if you survive the 1-in-6 you'll need another miracle next week. And, of course, no one plans for being on the outs later in the game.

I could see an extra vote on Day 1 you can hold all game being worth more than the option to try SitD later on when you might not ever need it if you play the extra vote right.

Last edited:
Yeah. Too bad Brandon didn't vote for the girl with the advantage. Since she didn't vote this time she now gets an extra vote and he will probably be the one targeted next vote.
If we can ascribe any logic to that tribe, which I'm not sure we can.

The others don't know about the extra vote, and she's got plausible deniability for her story because she said she lost her vote and did indeed not vote. However, Claire telling Matthew during the sit-outs about how Matt said the advantage game worked is what may make the tribe continue to distrust Lauren.

The girl played her Shot in the Dark as cover for her missing vote,
Wrong girl. Jamie didn't have a missing vote. Lauren did, and did not play SITD.

The girl played her Shot in the Dark as cover for her missing vote, she'd have to explain why one was missing from the urn because she pocketed the parchment for an extra vote later. I think the guy was just worried his injury would send him home. New player/First Tribal Panic.

I think players don't really consider SitD as a worthwhile element of gameplay that needs protecting. It seems like one of those things where if you really need it, you have bigger problems, and even if you survive the 1-in-6 you'll need another miracle next week. And, of course, no one plans for being on the outs later in the game.

I could see an extra vote on Day 1 you can hold all game being worth more than the option to try SitD later on when you might not ever need it if you play the extra vote right.
no she didn't. that was a different woman. you CANNOT play your shot in the dark if you don't have a vote to give up. that is the "cost" to be able to play it.

That might be the dumbest tribe ever. Two people who weren’t in any danger play their SITD? That Jamie lady was just completely crazy. Not as crazy as the purple lady but there was zero indication she wasn’t safe. Loved when she was congratulated for being safe as if she smartly avoided disaster. Maddy was just a moron playing that hard. She literally made herself the target and she made Brandon play his idol. Duh, if you flush the idol, why would you vote for Brandon? Did she not realize that she handed Brandon the you decide who goes home card? Between the SITDs played for no reason and the flush the idol, oops that means I go home, it was one of the dumbest tribals I’ve ever seen. Lauren and Seth Rogen didn’t even put up a fight about Brandon. Lauren acted like no one knew her secret and didn’t even think she could have easily been the vote. Brandon just decided Maddy, which was also dumb. You have the power, why not take out the person with an advantage?

Also, what’s with the easily found out lies for the 3 person trip? The girl on purple even said it was like the prior seasons. Talk about an easy way to paint a target on your back at the merge. Any of her tribe mates find out, they have to assume she’s got an advantage so you make her the target.

Why did she and the dude lie? He doesn’t have an advantage so why lie. She does but she easily could have shown the I lost my vote and then said she wouldn’t pull again for fear of losing two votes. That seems like a solid story. Instead her story/lie makes it obvious that she has an advantage.

@Pip's Invitation I have to look at the cast pics after your posts to see who you're talking about. For the first 4-5 episodes each season I only remember a couple names. Until I do it's asian girl,crazy lady,old guy and such lol
This is why I read the pregame content. My wife and son started watching the show with S30 and for those first few seasons I wouldn't tune in until after the merge because I found the premerge so confusing and hard to follow with so many players. Starting with S35 I learned the cast before the season started airing and I can follow the early episodes much better now.

Brandon just decided Maddy, which was also dumb. You have the power, why not take out the person with an advantage?
He didn't (and still doesn't, as far as we can tell from the edit) know she has an advantage. He knew Maddy was gunning for him and was never going to work with him, so his decision made sense to me. Reminded me a bit of why Gabler went after Elie at the S43 fake merge.

I think sling guy played the sitd, because he really didn’t want to be on the wrong side of the vote. Now, in his mind, he didn’t vote. dumb He screwed Brandon over.

Haven't watched the first episode of the new season yet but if there's anymore of the woke ******** Probst introduced last time, it will be a hard pass for me.

"Should I stop using the term 'guys'?"

And the guy crying about representing the hard of hearing community while talking about his pregnant husband. Utterly ridiculous.

If you want to wreck a franchise, follow the above plan. Based on the promo ads I saw in the last month, a lot of people tuned out. A message along the lines of you don't know what you've been missing.

How does one access Australian Survivor?
New season is on youtube Macy76 channel. Older seasons on Beetv. That's a terrarium type app. Also I on Facebook page the tribe has spoken. Not sure if you can get old seasons on facebook.

I think sling guy played the sitd, because he really didn’t want to be on the wrong side of the vote. Now, in his mind, he didn’t vote. dumb He screwed Brandon over.
I got the impression that both of them were big survivor fans and wanted to go down in history as being the first one to successfully use the shot in the dark, and both kinda wanted to avoid the vote. And that was why everyone congratulated her even though it was meaningless.

Brandon just decided Maddy, which was also dumb. You have the power, why not take out the person with an advantage?
He didn't (and still doesn't, as far as we can tell from the edit) know she has an advantage. He knew Maddy was gunning for him and was never going to work with him, so his decision made sense to me. Reminded me a bit of why Gabler went after Elie at the S43 fake merge.
Matt told Brandon that Lauren lied about her boat trip. Brandon specifically says “but once it was out there that she had an advantage” in his interview on the show.

It stands to reason that since she didn’t show them a lost your vote piece of paper like the other tribe, you could or should surmise that she’s hiding the fact that she got the advantage.

I get his decision to target Maddy but I disagree that he didn’t know about a very possible advantage. I’m not getting a super smart vibe off of this tribe and thinking ahead but if Matt and Brandon don’t play like she has an advantage, that’s bad game play. Maddy is the threat you keep in your pocket once the advantage is gone or flushed. Again flushing it requires Matt and yoga lady to not do a SITD, which made no sense.

Users who are viewing this thread