What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Darren Waller, Retired (11 Viewers)

I have been unplugged all offseason for the most part. How bad is his outlook for 2024? He is so cheap in redrafts/BBs right now.
Waller himself hasn't confirmed whether he's even coming back this season. If he is, he should easily be the #2 option in the passing game, and he was more productive than people remember him being last season. He's still absolutely a top-15 TE, but again, that's if he's playing.

Set to make $12m+ this year, unless he can't walk, can't see him not playing.
If it were just about the money he'd be on the field right now. Obviously there's a lot more playing into this for him. Injury issues,marriage issues,burnout?
I'd be surprised if he doesn't retire.

He has enough money to live a great life. Sure, everybody wants more, but I doubt just $ is the reason he comes back, he's not that good, on a bad team, awful field to play on, on a bad team, no real QB, and on a bad team. Its easy to see him not coming back. I honestly dont care either way, doubt I would consider him for my TE2 on a FFL roster.

If it were just about the money he'd be on the field right now. Obviously there's a lot more playing into this for him. Injury issues,marriage issues,burnout?
Is there any mandatory requirement for him to be there right now for him to actually lose money?

Is there any mandatory requirement for him to be there right now for him to actually lose money?
From what I have read on the Giants official site I don't think so.

From what I have read on the Giants official site I don't think so.
Right so if he isn't losing money and has an injury history, I mean to me, it makes sense that while he wants to get paid for this year, he also wouldn't want to risk injury at voluntary camps.

Either way, I think he plays this year, probably tweaks the hammy some more, plays in 7-9 games, and then retires.

He has enough money to live a great life. Sure, everybody wants more, but I doubt just $ is the reason he comes back, he's not that good, on a bad team, awful field to play on, on a bad team, no real QB, and on a bad team. Its easy to see him not coming back. I honestly dont care either way, doubt I would consider him for my TE2 on a FFL roster.
Sooo here's the deal. Most NFL players (90+ %) get divorced and then sued(part of divorce hearings) so the wife and kids can be provided the life they were living when the player played.
From what I understand, the timing is key. If he establishes this retired life of making and spending less, then the wife can't expect as much.
This is disturbingly common. (I'm aware some bills have failed before states and Congress to counter this but let's not get political per board rules)
Sooooo
My gut says-
Waller WAS retiring because events were triggered.
Waller does not want to make $ that increases his future "burden" here. (I love kids please don't twist my words) He needs info from his lawyer, maybe his lawyer contacted his ex or soon to be ex's lawyer and they're probably waiting on an answer.

It's also ridiculously common for a freakout video of some sort or to go get lost in the woods for months. Imagine you made millions and your ex gets it before judging them.

I ran a retired NFL players private website, essentially a board, for years. I still kind of do but don't get paid because I haven't done a thing in years.

Followup-
I would doubt his heart or head is in it initially but as long as he has camp to clear his head, he could be fine.
Just watch camp, if he reports, and as long as he seems like himself then I'd still draft him in FF and expect good things

I think he plays this year,
Be surprised if that's not the case and would cite two reasons.

Money. He's made $42M before taxes, good money of course most people would be able to live very comfortably but seems hard to pass on picking up on what amounts to 25% of his career earnings to date for just playing one more year. If Waller was my brother, son or friend I'd likely be imploring him to suck it up one more year even if his heart is not in it. Just to much money to leave on the table for one more year, he can live comfortably now, he can live better and leave more behind.

I think part of the reasons he's mulled retirement is he think he can have a musical career. I"m thinking with that video release coming out he's finding out that's probably not the case.

Dan Duggan
We're officially past June 1, so if Darren Waller retires or is released the Giants will gain $11.6M in cap savings with $2.5M dead money this year and $4.9M dead money in 2025.

Know there's been a notion from some that the Giants and Waller had a handshake agreement not to announce anything before June 1. If that's the case, they can officially announce and process his retirement now (he also could have announced it whenever he wanted and just waited to officially process it). Still, we wait...

ESPN’s Jordan Raanan reports the Giants expect Darren Waller to announce his retirement.

The most we’ve seen of Waller this offseason came from a music video he posted last week. The Giants haven’t given a deadline for Waller to announce his decision, but according to Raanan, he “is likely to make a decision by next week’s mandatory minicamp about his playing future,” adding that people close to the team believe he’ll opt to walk away. Waller caught 52 passes for 552 yards and one touchdown over 12 games last season and has played in 12 or fewer games in each of his last three seasons. The soon-to-be 32-year-old has dealt with multiple injuries over the years. Third-year tight end Daniel Bellinger would presumably get the first crack at the starting job if Waller does retire. In two seasons, Bellinger has caught 55 passes for 523 yards and two touchdowns and could have some streaming upside on a team short on receiver talent.

ESPN’s Jordan Raanan reports the Giants expect Darren Waller to announce his retirement.

The most we’ve seen of Waller this offseason came from a music video he posted last week. The Giants haven’t given a deadline for Waller to announce his decision, but according to Raanan, he “is likely to make a decision by next week’s mandatory minicamp about his playing future,” adding that people close to the team believe he’ll opt to walk away. Waller caught 52 passes for 552 yards and one touchdown over 12 games last season and has played in 12 or fewer games in each of his last three seasons. The soon-to-be 32-year-old has dealt with multiple injuries over the years. Third-year tight end Daniel Bellinger would presumably get the first crack at the starting job if Waller does retire. In two seasons, Bellinger has caught 55 passes for 523 yards and two touchdowns and could have some streaming upside on a team short on receiver talent.
Actually he said they expected him to retire but it would be a pleasant surprise if he didn't. Which is nothing new.
If ya ask a coach how he's going to handle such a situation, that's exactly the response a coach would give

So by my calculations he's made $41 million in his career. If he retires he's going to write a check back for $9 million and pass on $12 million this year. Play one more year and bank $21 million.

So by my calculations he's made $41 million in his career. If he retires he's going to write a check back for $9 million and pass on $12 million this year. Play one more year and bank $21 million.
so he retires after week one? lol
Interestingly enough, he's has the highest per game roster bonus on the team and zero guaranteed money this year.

Playing this year increases his career earning by about 60%. It's crazy how much money is tied up in this year for him. The giants cutting him makes far more sense and would help him too (vs retiring)

I'm not sure he'll owe the bonus back, maybe you heard otherwise but sometimes they come to an agreement where the team does not try and recoup the money and my guess is that's what will happen here.

I'm not sure he'll owe the bonus back, maybe you heard otherwise but sometimes they come to an agreement where the team does not try and recoup the money and my guess is that's what will happen here.
It's possible the Giants walk away from $7.5M for playing part of one year.

Rapaport reporting that he’s told the team he’s retiring…

Link

Sources: #Giants TE Darren Waller has informed the team he plans to retire, walking away at the age of 31 after just one season with NYG.

Waller hasn’t attended workouts, and the team had known for some time he may not play. Now, he’s officially let them know before minicamp.

Darren Waller retired from the NFL after eight seasons.

After spending all of the offseason away from the Giants, Waller is now ready to hang it up. The eight-year vet entered the league as a sixth-round pick of the Ravens back in 2015. The former Georgia Tech wide receiver battled through substance abuse issues early in his career and missed the 2017 season as a result of being suspended for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. He returned to the Ravens in 2018 and was traded to the Raiders at the end of that season. In 2019, Waller, who had made the permanent switch to tight end, broke out for 90-1145-3 and earned a Pro Bowl nod in 2020 when he caught 107 passes for 1,196 yards and nine touchdowns. Injuries would plague him over the last three years, as he appeared in just 32 of a possible 51 games and played in just 12 games for the Giants in his lone season with the team. Waller overcame late draft capital, early struggles in his career, and a positional overhaul to carve out a solid career for himself. His retirement frees up roughly $11.6 million in cap space for the Giants, who are now expected to go with third-year tight end Daniel Bellinger as their starter. They also selected Penn State’s Theo Johnson with the No. 107 pick in this year’s draft.

Theo Johnson has crazy upside. Probably going to start going a bit earlier in rookie drafts now.
His QB is Daniel Jones. Darren Waller had crazy upside last year with Saquon Barkley still on the team, that didn't work out too well for Saquon or Waller.

The pressure to perform on a big stage like NY coupled with his addiction issues, I guess it's no surprise. GL Waller wish you well.

Saying he had some illness in November that hospitalized him for 3 days and almost killed him. Strange that story never got out.

Just drop him at this point. :wink:

“Quit playing checkers on my board, I’m playing chess B*tch.
And if I fall, my brothers pick me up like Byron Leftwich.”

man I haven't thought about that play in forever

He's gonna eventually have to learn to take the hitchhike offer. It's free and u can't just live on the beach with just your High school lettermen jacket forever

How bad are the Giants when Waller on Year 3 of a $51M deal he signed last year, only 31 and can't even make it thru another season for $15M I'm assuming?
That's a lot of money to say I can't play another down.

I hope he has not relapsed and doing this all of sound mind, body and soul
Maybe he can make a jump to the booth or media, his opp $$ is right now, not 5 years down the road looking back and regretting not squeezing out 1 more year with the Giants

-Giants a potential top5 pick in the '25 Draft?

Last edited:
So Giants fans.
Do you want to see improvement let's say to the last wildcard spot?
Or do you want them to get a top 5 pick next year HOPING for bigger,better improvement NEXT year?
What say you all?
For myself I'll take a wildcard this year

So Giants fans.
Do you want to see improvement let's say to the last wildcard spot?
Or do you want them to get a top 5 pick next year HOPING for bigger,better improvement NEXT year?
What say you all?
For myself I'll take a wildcard this year
How secure is Daboll if they finish bottom 5?

Just drop him at this point. :wink:

“Quit playing checkers on my board, I’m playing chess B*tch.
And if I fall, my brothers pick me up like Byron Leftwich.”

man I haven't thought about that play in forever
I haven't seen talent like this since Rappin' Rodney.

Well I was totally wrong on this. Shocked at the cash he walked away from. Wouldn't have been as surprised, but this was his first big contract.

Users who are viewing this thread