What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Delanie Walker (1 Viewer)

Dr. Octopus

Footballguy
I liked him in the offseason based upon his limited action last year, but figured the guy was stuck behind "Mr. Upside" Vernon Davis in SF so I didn't draft him in the late rounds of my start up dynasty despite my intrigue. I just picked him up though this week just in case, since TE is a real sore spot on my team especially with LJ Smith now injured again.

Vernon Davis has been alot of hype with no results thus far. Walker is built more like a WR and has some nice deep speed. Can he be a big part of the SF offense going forward or just fool's gold right now?

The Martz system really spreads the ball around, but there isn't any outstanding talent at the receiver psoition. Will Walker get his share of targets?

They gave him a new deal in the off season. He is 2nd on the depth chart for KR. He did return one in the preseason. You can search NFL.com for the video. Even if it is preseason I can't think of another TE that I've seen return a kickoff for a TD.

Considering that Click Clack has a history of injuries and perhaps more importantly a history of not being very smart when it comes to understanding the plays, Delanie Walker will probably get the chance to emerge somewhat. His situation is worth keeping an eye on.

Martz has not givin up on V. Davis and IMO likely wont. He is simply way too athletic to not utilize. The drops are frustrating, but are not a worry at this point. Yes, Delanie Walker is a beast, but Vernon is a straight freak. His presence at the line cant be ignored and defensive adjustments have to be made every snap he takes. If the pattern of trying to get the ball to VD past the linebackers continues, good things will happen. Granted, the ball still needs to be caught, but if he can slip into the secondary with the football, he will win that match every time against even the best safeties in the league. I believe as the OP said, Walker may be a one-week wonder and has little to no value, barring an injury to Davis. DW has always been good for some looks and touches, but no way does he cut into Vernons. The TD this weekend was designed to go to Walker, just as the one that Rossum got was designed for him. I dont expect either play to be called again the rest of the season.

The team has alot of confidence in Walker, hell they were working him out at WR before week 1. If I could start a WR in the TE position, especially when I am struggling at the position, why not? You may want to wait another week to see how they use him against New Orleans but the potential is there. I still believe, like others, that Martz is still in love with Davis' speed but that will not continue without production.

As a niner fan, I am tired of the Davis hype and would rather have substance over hype. So far in his career, Davis has shown speed with no route running ability to match his equally inadequate hands.

I liked him in the offseason based upon his limited action last year, but figured the guy was stuck behind "Mr. Upside" Vernon Davis in SF so I didn't draft him in the late rounds of my start up dynasty despite my intrigue. I just picked him up though this week just in case, since TE is a real sore spot on my team especially with LJ Smith now injured again.Vernon Davis has been alot of hype with no results thus far. Walker is built more like a WR and has some nice deep speed. Can he be a big part of the SF offense going forward or just fool's gold right now?The Martz system really spreads the ball around, but there isn't any outstanding talent at the receiver psoition. Will Walker get his share of targets?
I think so :)

I liked him in the offseason based upon his limited action last year, but figured the guy was stuck behind "Mr. Upside" Vernon Davis in SF so I didn't draft him in the late rounds of my start up dynasty despite my intrigue. I just picked him up though this week just in case, since TE is a real sore spot on my team especially with LJ Smith now injured again.Vernon Davis has been alot of hype with no results thus far. Walker is built more like a WR and has some nice deep speed. Can he be a big part of the SF offense going forward or just fool's gold right now?The Martz system really spreads the ball around, but there isn't any outstanding talent at the receiver psoition. Will Walker get his share of targets?
I think so :lmao:
Well I did read an article where one really smart man had some nice things to say about him and not so nice things to say about Davis. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Martz has not givin up on V. Davis and IMO likely wont. He is simply way too athletic to not utilize. The drops are frustrating, but are not a worry at this point. Yes, Delanie Walker is a beast, but Vernon is a straight freak. His presence at the line cant be ignored and defensive adjustments have to be made every snap he takes. If the pattern of trying to get the ball to VD past the linebackers continues, good things will happen. Granted, the ball still needs to be caught, but if he can slip into the secondary with the football, he will win that match every time against even the best safeties in the league. I believe as the OP said, Walker may be a one-week wonder and has little to no value, barring an injury to Davis. DW has always been good for some looks and touches, but no way does he cut into Vernons. The TD this weekend was designed to go to Walker, just as the one that Rossum got was designed for him. I dont expect either play to be called again the rest of the season.
VD got all of his usual reps in today, but Delanie Walker had his number called a little more than we have previously seen. Before anybody gets excited, keep in mind that these were with the scout team which has the responsibility of showing First D unit the opponents(N.O.) looks, subs, and formations, so this could mean nothing. But he did look good while doing it and I now wouldnt be surprised to see him worked more into the O. I still dont believe it will be enough to put up consistent fantasy numbers nor take away significant looks from VD.

Someone dropped VD and with Carlson on a bye I'm going to pick the guy up and cross my fingers. I think before the season is over VD will exceed his ADP.

VD got all of his usual reps in today, but Delanie Walker had his number called a little more than we have previously seen. Before anybody gets excited, keep in mind that these were with the scout team which has the responsibility of showing First D unit the opponents(N.O.) looks, subs, and formations, so this could mean nothing. But he did look good while doing it and I now wouldnt be surprised to see him worked more into the O. I still dont believe it will be enough to put up consistent fantasy numbers nor take away significant looks from VD.
At 3 targets a game how significant are VD's looks?

Someone dropped VD and with Carlson on a bye I'm going to pick the guy up and cross my fingers. I think before the season is over VD will exceed his ADP.
If someone dropped VD, and you picked it up,you may want to see a doctor and get it checked out.I do think it's too early to give up on VD.I think he will become a serviceable TE this season, but not the star that most envisioned him to be.

If someone dropped VD, and you picked it up,you may want to see a doctor and get it checked out.I do think it's too early to give up on VD.I think he will become a serviceable TE this season, but not the star that most envisioned him to be.
I kind of agree. It's a bit early to completely give up on him, though I'm getting closer with each mediocre week. What concerns me is that he seems to be a guy that even with a few good weeks, he has a big propensity to put up goose eggs on any given Sunday, which can lose you a game. I have to see Walker get more utilized consistently to think he has relevance.

Users who are viewing this thread