What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Mike Gesicki, CIN (1 Viewer)

Again - just schtick. But if you don't think he is sharing the playbook (yes even in March) with Bill then I have a bridge to sell you.

I don't remember if it was mentioned in here or not, but NE OC Bill O'Brien recruited Gesicki to Penn State when O'Brien was head coach of the Nittany Lions.

This may actually be a better team for him than Miami was.
Really can’t get worse.
He and Parker are back together again, 2 guys with really poor separation metrics. Gesicki is fast for a TE, but not quick. He's a good red-zone target, getting 5 or 6 TDs 3 of the last 4 years. Height and 41 inch vertical. But HH and Parker also have height, limiting his end zone targets. His upside is about 800 yards and 6-7 TDs.

This may actually be a better team for him than Miami was.
Really can’t get worse.
He and Parker are back together again, 2 guys with really poor separation metrics. Gesicki is fast for a TE, but not quick. He's a good red-zone target, getting 5 or 6 TDs 3 of the last 4 years. Height and 41 inch vertical. But HH and Parker also have height, limiting his end zone targets. His upside is about 800 yards and 6-7 TDs.
I guess anything is possible, but NE hasn't had a WR or TE with 800/7 since 2017. The Patriots TE group combined only hit 800/7 in a season once since then. That being said, Gesicki is an upgrade for NE over Jonnu Smith, but that's not really saying much. Maybe Bill O'Brien will go back to the 2 TE system he ran with Gronk and Hernadez . . . but I wouldn't consider Henry and Gesicki in the same class as those two.

ESPN's Mike Reiss writes the Patriots view Mike Gesicki "as much as a receiver as a tight end."

Reiss throws cold water on the idea of the Patriots drafting a wide receiver in the first round, adding they have "big plans" for Tyquan Thornton and that this draft class at receiver "isn't considered strong when compared to past years." It's possible New England becomes a 12-personnel team often on early downs with Hunter Henry and Gesicki, and both have a chance of living the fringe TE1 life in fantasy football this season.
SOURCE: ESPN
Apr 13, 2023 at 2:35 PM ET

ESPN's Mike Reiss writes the Patriots view Mike Gesicki "as much as a receiver as a tight end."

Reiss throws cold water on the idea of the Patriots drafting a wide receiver in the first round, adding they have "big plans" for Tyquan Thornton and that this draft class at receiver "isn't considered strong when compared to past years." It's possible New England becomes a 12-personnel team often on early downs with Hunter Henry and Gesicki, and both have a chance of living the fringe TE1 life in fantasy football this season.
SOURCE: ESPN
Apr 13, 2023 at 2:35 PM ET
I have heard multiple informed people suggest NE could go CB or OT at 14 if the guy they wanted was still on the board, but they might try to trade back into the late first to snag WR Zay Flowers. NFL people aren't high on this draft class, but there may be some projects in Rounds 3-5 that might be worth a dart throw. To be clear, they probably have a specific player at CB or OT in mind, and if one of those players available, trading back would certainly be under consideration. The other WR they have expressed a lot of interest in is JSN, but I doubt they would take him at 14. He'd be more of an option if they trade back (and falls that far).

Sigmund Bloom
"The duo of Hunter Henry and Mike Gesicki shared the field the majority of the time. They were a favorite target of Mac Jones, as Gesicki impressed with his quickness as a natural pass catcher...early indications point to the 2TE package being a large part of that new scheme"
BOB was the OC for the first couple years of Hernandez/Gronk 2TE era IIRC. Not saying Henry and Gesiski are the same talent, nor is Mac to Brady, but to anyone who watched the Pats last year literally any creative playcalling (especially with the TEs) is a welcome sign.

Sigmund Bloom
"The duo of Hunter Henry and Mike Gesicki shared the field the majority of the time. They were a favorite target of Mac Jones, as Gesicki impressed with his quickness as a natural pass catcher...early indications point to the 2TE package being a large part of that new scheme"

Been hearing nothing but positive stuff about Gesicki so far…he has a great opportunity to bounce back with the Pats…one other thing to keep in mind is their Tackle situation has a chance to be a disaster which means going with two TE sets may be that much more important…while Gesicki is not known as a blocker the Pats do not have anything after him and Henry at TE so at least right now he should be on the field a ton.

Been hearing nothing but positive stuff about Gesicki so far…he has a great opportunity to bounce back with the Pats…one other thing to keep in mind is their Tackle situation has a chance to be a disaster which means going with two TE sets may be that much more important…while Gesicki is not known as a blocker the Pats do not have anything after him and Henry at TE so at least right now he should be on the field a ton.
Gesicki was a great athlete at the combine, but his separation metrics have been poor. More fast than quick and perhaps not a great route runner? If NE can scheme him open more than Miami did, and Mac can fit the ball into tight windows, Gesicki could have a bounce back year.

Really hard to tell what the Patriots will be yet. They have been a run-first team in recent seasons, but their OL is spotty and they have some decent but not great receiving options. As things stand now, I don't see any standout receiving options, and they will likely cancel each other out. Things could change if they end up with Hopkins, but JJSS, Parker, Thornton, Bourne, Gesicki, Henry, and Stephenson (maybe even Montgomery and Jones as a gadget guy) just seemed destined to put up ok numbers that might add up to a decent amount (but not great for any of them individually).

I like Gesicki more if the Pats sign Hopkins.
I like pretty much all their offensive players more if they sign Hopkins but it will be a nice boon to the short range stuff. They haven't had a viable field stretcher in a while.
Does Hopkins count as a field stretcher? Isn't he more a high volume possession guy at this point? I see him clogging up Gesicki's possible targets, not opening them up personally.

I like pretty much all their offensive players more if they sign Hopkins but it will be a nice boon to the short range stuff. They haven't had a viable field stretcher in a while.
Does Hopkins count as a field stretcher? Isn't he more a high volume possession guy at this point? I see him clogging up Gesicki's possible targets, not opening them up personally.
No, Parker or JJSS should be the field stretchers. Hopkins takes a defender off Gesicki who can beat LBs. I see better quality snaps for Gesicki in that scenario.

I don't have Gesicki high on the charts as is. To me this situation could boost his value a bit and maybe get him to top 10 TE status. The snap count will be there.

No, Parker or JJSS should be the field stretchers. Hopkins takes a defender off Gesicki who can beat LBs. I see better quality snaps for Gesicki in that scenario.

I don't have Gesicki high on the charts as is. To me this situation could boost his value a bit and maybe get him to top 10 TE status. The snap count will be there.

JJSS and Parker are not field stretchers...the best chance the Pats have with regard to a field stretcher is Thornton who has that potential, but they still don't know what they have with him yet.

Gesicki has consistently jumped off the TV screen in the receiving game. If this is offense is at least average I expect Gesicki to outperform ADP.

Fools gold. I have owned him since rookie year. The Fins weren’t holding him back, there were targets to be had. But lesser athletes who were better football players commanded them.

Fools gold. I have owned him since rookie year. The Fins weren’t holding him back, there were targets to be had. But lesser athletes who were better football players commanded them.
Meh. Bad offensive fit for Gesicki last year. Mike McD wants his TE to be more of a blocking type.

I love the potential for him as a slot TE with BOB

Meh. Bad offensive fit for Gesicki last year. Mike McD wants his TE to be more of a blocking type.

Hunter Henry had 50 catches last year when things were bad. He'll get a share of receptions and TDs. Gesicki doesn't have a high ceiling.

Hunter Henry had 50 catches last year when things were bad. He'll get a share of receptions and TDs. Gesicki doesn't have a high ceiling.
His ceiling is off the charts high. Henry really has nothing to do with his load. He is a big slot receiver and will be used that way in NE

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters
"I think Gesicki might pass Hunter Henry in some of the traditional 11 personnel, third down situations. Henry is a really crafty receiver, is a veteran guy, he knows his spots, he knows how to get open, but his speed and his explosiveness has taken a little bit of a downturn, I would say, certainly last year...whereas Gesicki was already out there running the seam and creating big plays in the spring and getting up the field and being explosive. So I think that they could pivot a little bit to Gesicki."

Patriots reporter Evan Lazar writes the team could “feature a heavy dosage of two-tight end sets that will resemble what we saw in [Bill] O’Brien’s first stint with the team.”

During that 2011 season, Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez combined to catch 169 passes for 2,237 yards and 24 touchdowns, with Gronkowski (90-1327-17) leading the way. While we don’t expect Mike Gesicki and Hunter Henry to replicate that same success, it’s possible the pair are both on the field enough to be fantasy relevant this season. Both Henry and Gesicki are being drafted outside of the top-15 tight ends, with Gesicki standing to turn into a solid PPR value. His versatility to operate in-line and from the slot has been hyped by the team all offseason and could prove profitable in fantasy.

Patriots reporter Evan Lazar writes the team could “feature a heavy dosage of two-tight end sets that will resemble what we saw in [Bill] O’Brien’s first stint with the team.”

During that 2011 season, Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez combined to catch 169 passes for 2,237 yards and 24 touchdowns, with Gronkowski (90-1327-17) leading the way. While we don’t expect Mike Gesicki and Hunter Henry to replicate that same success, it’s possible the pair are both on the field enough to be fantasy relevant this season. Both Henry and Gesicki are being drafted outside of the top-15 tight ends, with Gesicki standing to turn into a solid PPR value. His versatility to operate in-line and from the slot has been hyped by the team all offseason and could prove profitable in fantasy.
This is odd, because Lazar wrote the other day that the only reason Gesicki saw so much time in OTAs (with extended talk of 2 TE sets) was due to all the WR being banged up and not at practice. He suggested that the base offense would be 3 WR and 1 TE. He also explored whether NE could still add a blocking TE (Gesicki and Henry aren't really great at run blocking). I think Gesicki will see more middle of the field targets and Henry more red zone targets . . . but teams with 2 TE's rarely produce one starting worthy fantasy TE. All of this will be interesting to see how it impacts Stevenson at RB. They moved away from a FB and don't have a blocking TE. Maybe they start using a 6th lineman as TE eligible (they've done that before).

Miami Fan here and I think Gesecki is in the right place in New England. He is essentially a big slot WR who can go out to the boundary in short yardage and goal line. His blocking is "good enough" to move him inside on motion but he isn't gronk thats for sure.

I can probably write the script for the Pats offense fantasy wise this year. They will rotate who has a good game depending on matchups and the opponent. At some point, Thornton will have a breakout game and score a long TD. Everyone will run out to pick him up . . . and he won't score again for 6 weeks. Parker will have a week with 6-100-2 and be in demand. Then JuJu will go nuts and have a 9 catch week. Or Henry will score 2 TD. Or Gesicki will have a good week. Or Bourne will look great on a few plays. Or Marcus Jones will take a screen 90 yards. The point being, NE has a lot of players that COULD be involved any week or COULD be a matchup problem. But I doubt any of the receiving targets will do much consistently, and most of them will be feast or famine fantasy plays (and usually not fantasy start worthy except in larger / deeper leagues).

Patriots beat reporter Doug Kyed said Mike Gesicki left practice with an “upper body” injury and did not return to the field.

According to Kyed, Gesicki was injured during a tackling drill and was seen grabbing under his shoulder pads as he walked off the field. Gesicki is in his first year with the Patriots and has come on strong in recent days after a slow start to camp. He’s expected to serve in a big-slot role in the Patriots’ offense, with Hunter Henry operating more as the in-line tight end. We’ll likely know more about Gesicki’s injury in the coming days.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports Mike Gesicki sustained a separated shoulder.

The hope, per Rapoport, is that Gesicki is OK for the Patriots’ season opener. Gesicki was hurt during a tackling drill on Monday and was seen grabbing at his shoulder as he exited toward the team’s locker room. New England is widely expected to deploy two tight end sets this season, so the Gesicki injury could force offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien to shift course ahead of Week 1. Hunter Henry would be a little more interesting for fantasy purposes if Gesicki is sidelined for the season opener.

Mike Gesicki caught 3-of-3 targets for 36 yards in the Patriots’ Week 1 loss to the Eagles.

Gesicki was just one of many targets Mac Jones hit throughout the day. There was hope that he’d get more looks by moving on to the Patriots, but that has so far been proven to not be the case. He should be left on waivers at all cost.

- Rotoworld

3.25 million dollars. That's a drop in the bucket. Can't go wrong with that, really.

Gesicki was due to get paid before the Dolphins slapped the tag on him and never used him. What an awful way to see your salary plummet.

Might finally be in a system that fully uses his pass-catching skills. They do have a lot of TEs though, so he will need to earn his way on the field.

3.25 million dollars. That's a drop in the bucket. Can't go wrong with that, really.

Gesicki was due to get paid before the Dolphins slapped the tag on him and never used him. What an awful way to see your salary plummet.
Geisicki already made a total of $22.6 million prior to the deal he signed with the Bengals. He's earned almost $87,000 per reception over his career. By comparison, Travis Kelce has earned about $85,000 per catch. I don't feel that badly for Mike given what's he's been paid and the limited production he's put up (an average of 43 receptions per season).

I don't feel that badly for Mike given what's he's been paid and the limited production he's put up

Miami never threw their tight ends the ball when McDaniel was there and had him. How is he supposed to catch a ball that's not thrown to him? His limited production was by design in that case. Saying he got whomped in his wallet because he got tagged is not controversial at all. And that he's making 3.25 million dollars this year sort of speaks to that. Never mind what he made before—he got killed because of the tag and McDaniel's utter refusal to incorporate his TEs into anything but blocking.

Users who are viewing this thread