What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Team can't get under the cap (1 Viewer)

houndirish

Footballguy
How are they penalized? Draft picks? Heavy fines? Other?

I can't imagine it would simply be a fine. Some deeppocketed owner might just view the fine as a cost of doing business.

Some cap guys are saying the Skins will be unable to meet the cap if the CBA isn't approved. I'm wondering what would happen in that scenario.

I can't imagine it would simply be a fine. Some deeppocketed owner might just view the fine as a cost of doing business.

Some cap guys are saying the Skins will be unable to meet the cap if the CBA isn't approved. I'm wondering what would happen in that scenario.
Salary Cap FAQQuestion 1.13

So...what happens if a team goes over the Salary Cap?

Answer: The short answer is simply that NO team CAN go over the Salary Cap. Note that every contract must go through the NFL League Office before the deal can be made official. Presumably, one of the things the league must do at this time is determine whether or not the contract would violate the NFL's Salary Cap. If the deal does violate the cap, then the NFL will reject it.

There have been instances in which a team has managed to sneak a cap evading contract by the league. Upon further review, the violations were caught by the league and the respective teams were penalized. Penalties include fines and/or forfeiture of draft picks. In recent history both the Pittsburgh Steelers and San Francisco 49ers have been penalized draft picks, while the 49ers' front office personnel (Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark) were also fined.

Salary Cap FAQQuestion 1.13

So...what happens if a team goes over the Salary Cap?

Answer: The short answer is simply that NO team CAN go over the Salary Cap. Note that every contract must go through the NFL League Office before the deal can be made official. Presumably, one of the things the league must do at this time is determine whether or not the contract would violate the NFL's Salary Cap. If the deal does violate the cap, then the NFL will reject it.

There have been instances in which a team has managed to sneak a cap evading contract by the league. Upon further review, the violations were caught by the league and the respective teams were penalized. Penalties include fines and/or forfeiture of draft picks. In recent history both the Pittsburgh Steelers and San Francisco 49ers have been penalized draft picks, while the 49ers' front office personnel (Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark) were also fined.
I don't believe this quoted answer is 100% accurate. It sounds like it pertains to the CURRENT year's cap, not future years.Contracts that are back-loaded are how teams get in "cap hell", or are "projected $20M over the cap".

The reasoning is that the next year's cap (and future years) are not set by the league until the offseason. The new number is what everyone must get their contracts under.

Your biggest 51 contracts count against the cap, in addition to all of your "dead money" and any bonuses that are not in the 51 man cap.

By using the current 53 man roster (53+), teams can see that they are over the cap. Time to start cutting the roster.

Teams have to cut down their roster to fit in their draft picks and any future veterans / rookies signed to the team.

I'm not a capologist so I don't know when teams have to be at the cap number (or under, of course).

Also not certain why it is 51, not 53 (it is a 53 man roster, last I checked).

Last edited by a moderator:
If you cut every player on the team and signed all rookies, I'm sure they'd fit under it. I think what those guys are likely saying is that they wont be able to keep some core players.

Anyways if there is no CBA they might delay the whole cap and free agency thing for a month.

Users who are viewing this thread