What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thanksgiving Sides (1 Viewer)

Favorite Side

• Mashed Potatoes

Votes: 54 27.3%
  • Sweet Potato Pie

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Green Bean Casserole

Votes: 13 6.6%
  • Creamed Corn

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Creamed Spinach

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Stuffing

Votes: 100 50.5%
  • Mac and Cheese

Votes: 15 7.6%

• Total voters

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
We are helping my SIL for Thanksgiving and we are trying to figure out what to serve beyond Turkey.

What is your favorite side on Turkey Day?

Last edited by a moderator:
Stuffing but it depends who's making it...keep the ####### apples out of it please
some sausage is a big add, agree on the no apples. Traditional approach the best. Also some people can't make gravy. We make 3x the amount of stuffing and gravy needed for the main serving and it still is gone within 2 days after Thanksgiving.

Mashed Potatoes with Turkey Gravy is always the answer!!!

Sweet Potato Pie?.......wouldn't that be considered a dessert?

and you forgot fresh hot rolls & buttah!

The answer is stuffing, of course.

But more importantly, make what you can make well.

There's the lazy way to make all of these and a proper way. The lazy way is almost always useless. Well, except for the canned cranberry stuff. People love that garbage.

Cajun stuffing

Roasted potatoes with fennel, onion, and bacon

Jalapeño cranberry salsa

Caesar green beans

Stuffing, aka "dressing" in some parts, is the clear winner.

As noted, no ####in fruit in the stuffing, please.

It's a savory dish, not a sweet one. And yes, a little sausage is a sweet addition.

Stuffing dominates mashed potatoes - While not surprising, you'd think it would be closer.
It takes literally 30 seconds to whip up some instant mashed potatoes for dinner with your steak every night.

Stuffing is a bit more complicated, thus lazy people like me don't make it often, which makes it an extra-special treat on Thanksgiving.

I make a cornbread stuffing with sweet and hot sausage that people seem to love but my favorite side is broccoli casserole that I stuff blocks of sharp cheddar cheese into.

BTW, whats missing is Mashed Potatoes and Saurkraut, with some gravy.

Some german thing, at least germans who moved to Baltimore. And it's awesome. Especially when you then mix in some Stuffing.

Stuffing? You guys are ####### crazy. Yea, let me waste precious plate and stomach space on soggy salty bread.

Correct answer is any kind of potatoes or casserole.

1) mashed Potoatos

2) stuffing

3) brussel Sprouts with bacon

4) green bean casserole

5) jellied cranberry sauce (still in shape of can)

1. Mashed Potatoes

2. Green Bean Casserole

3. Stuffing

4. Olives (green better than black)

5. Cranberries

Yep stuffing rules- sausage no fruit and drizzle it with some gravy = $$$
gotta have some ground sausage in your stuffing.

last year, came across a bag of martin's stuffing bread. I love martin's in general and it was so much easier than having to dry out a loaf of bread and chop it up yourself.

Depends if you know how to cook. If you know what you are doing it is stuffing by a landslide. If you don't then it is sweet potato pie. When in doubt keep adding more sugar.

Raider Nation said:
fantasycurse42 said:
Stuffing dominates mashed potatoes - While not surprising, you'd think it would be closer.
It takes literally 30 seconds to whip up some instant mashed potatoes for dinner with your steak every night.

Stuffing is a bit more complicated, thus lazy people like me don't make it often, which makes it an extra-special treat on Thanksgiving.
Instant mashed potatoes :lol: :lol:

Raider Nation said:
fantasycurse42 said:

Instant mashed potatoes :lol: :lol:
I'm a bachelor. They are quick and taste fine smothered in the juice from whichever steak rub I use.

:shrug:

Stuffing wins if for no other reason than all the other gay dishes listed can be had year round.

I love macaroni and cheese… although I've never associated it with Thanksgiving.

Stuffing wins if for no other reason than all the other gay dishes listed can be had year round.
Pretty much.

Stuffing to me always depends on who is making it and it's never consistent. I've had people throw things such as fruit, raisins, oysters, meats, etc. in it.

I went mashed potatoes because it's really tough to #### that stuff up.

Pretty much.

Stuffing to me always depends on who is making it and it's never consistent. I've had people throw things such as fruit, raisins, oysters, meats, etc. in it.

I went mashed potatoes because it's really tough to #### that stuff up.
Mashed potatoes can be tremendously ####ed up in the wrong hands.

The correct answer is stuffing. You can have mashed potatoes frequently throughout the year. And, I'm talking feral mashed potatoes, not instant. You only get the real stuffing a few times a year.

1. Mashed Potatoes

2. Stuffing/Dressing whatever you want to call it

3. Green Been Casserole (Has to have the Fried Onions on it.)

4. Sweet Potatoes (Not my favorite, but needs to be there)*

5. Cranberries, but not from a can.

*What's the thought on marshmallows on the Sweet Potatoes?

I think it also wins because it's the dish that's least terrible when mailed in.

Mailed in mashed potatoes are worthless. You put enough gravy on it, fine*, but by themselves nothing special. *Even then, it's dependent upon someone making proper gravy, which is no guarantee.

I've never actually had green bean casserole that's been made with a lot of effort. I didn't grow up with the stuff and the only time I ever see it is when my wife's family makes it and, best I can tell, they just throw together some canned or frozen green beans with some cream of mushroom and dump some canned fried onions on top. I'm sure it could be decent, but I've been so turned off by the whole concept, I don't care to try.

And since I don't think fresh green beans are really an option in late-November, I'm not sure how possible a great GBC is. If it involves canned or frozen green beans, I'm not interested.

On the same lines, I'm not sure I've ever had a great sweet potato casserole, but the basic offering is very unspectacular. Usually, it's some crap out of a can loaded up with marshmallows. Don't recall too many fights over who gets the last bit of SP Casserole.

I'm not sure I've ever had Mac 'n Cheese on Thanksgiving, but if enough people have eaten that boxed crap, it's no wonder it's not getting more votes. Even a lot of homemade M&C is pretty underwhelming.

But stuffing.....while made from scratch with plenty of sausage is much preferred, the boxed crap can be surprisingly decent. Loaded with a ton of sodium to help the cause I'm sure, but if given the lazy options between all these, I'd take the stuffing.

And frankly, many T-Giving sides (and the meat itself) are generally pretty bland, even when homemade. There's a ton of it and people love them because they are traditional, but the most common are fairly bland dishes.

Actually, I think that's exactly why we only eat them at Thanksgiving.

Except stuffing, which in nearly every form, is loaded with seasoning.

Users who are viewing this thread