What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 25 Greatest Films of the 21st Century So Far (2 Viewers)

I've seen one of those movies and heard of maybe 5 of them.  :bag:  

I will say "Boyhood" was really good.  :thumbup:

Hey guys the new Transformers  vs Aquaman movie is coming out soon, you'll love it. #officerpetemalloyonduty

I'll put Borat on that list. Flame away. First Bourne movie, No Country for Old Men, Michael Clayton, Good Night, Good Luck, Sideways. Probably a ton I'm forgetting without a list.

I got 34 I liked. Not sure they're the best 34 but two thirds of that list is crapola. 

No.    Title    Director    Year

2    In the Mood for Love    Wong Kar-wai    2000
3    There Will Be Blood    Paul Thomas Anderson    2007
4    Spirited Away    Hayao Miyazaki    2001
5    Boyhood    Richard Linklater    2014
6    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind    Michel Gondry    2004

10    No Country for Old Men    Coen brothers    2007

21    The Grand Budapest Hotel    Wes Anderson    2014
22    Lost in Translation    Sofia Coppola    2003

25    Memento    Christopher Nolan    2001

29    WALL-E    Andrew Stanton    2008
30    Oldboy    Park Chan-wook    2003

32    The Lives of Others    Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck    2006
33    The Dark Knight    Christopher Nolan    2008

35    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon    Ang Lee    2000

38    City of God    Fernando Meirelles and Kátia Lund    2002

40    Brokeback Mountain    Ang Lee    2005
41    Inside Out    Pete Docter    2015

44    12 Years a Slave    Steve McQueen    2013

47    Leviathan    Andrey Zvyagintsev    2014

51    Inception    Christopher Nolan    2010

53    Moulin Rouge!    Baz Luhrmann    2001

57    Zero Dark Thirty    Kathryn Bigelow    2012

59    A History of Violence    David Cronenberg    2005

62    Inglourious Basterds    Quentin Tarantino    2009

67    The Hurt Locker    Kathryn Bigelow    2008
68    The Royal Tenenbaums    Wes Anderson    2001

77    The Diving Bell and the Butterfly    Julian Schnabel    2007
78    The Wolf of Wall Street    Martin Scorsese    2013
79    Almost Famous    Cameron Crowe    2000

83    Artificial Intelligence: A.I.    Steven Spielberg    2001

87    Amélie    Jean-Pierre Jeunet    2001

90    The Pianist    Roman Polanski    2002

93    Ratatouille    Brad Bird    2007

96    Finding Nemo    Andrew Stanton    2003

I was scrolling up from the last post and saw this. First thing I noticed was A.I. 7 spots ahead of the Pianist and I read no further.

It is hard to do these things, but this is a pretty bad list, IMO.  Just a weird mix of elitist foreign movies that I haven't heard of and stuff that I don't think should be anywhere near a list like this - 40yr Old Virgin, Mad Max, Hurt Locker, Million Dollar Baby.  I think I agree with MAYBE 4 of them, mainly Eternal Sunshine and There Will Be Blood, but I think there are better foreign movies out there that are not on the list. 

5/25.

And honestly I didn't really care much for any of those five.  This list convinced me that the 21st century has been a ####ty century for movies so far.
I think there has been some amazing movies in the last 17 years, this is just a garbage list that doesn't represent them. 

Yeah, I'm right there with you.  I've seen maybe 4 or 5 movies the last few years.  Best one I've seen was Boyhood, which made the list and should have.  Spotlight and Big Short were good too.  Force Awaken was rubbish.  That's all I can remember seeing.  Haven't been to a theater since I took my son and his friends to see Adventures of Rin Tin Tin which ended my taking kids to movies.  Total waste of money and more importantly, time.
I like how it seems like people who don't watch movies have such a strong opinion about them.  ;)

there are people who went nuts over inside out... the psychology of it- similar to what I remember people doing with groundhog day. I guess they have layers that run deeper than the casual viewer like me can immediately offhand process. that said- I did like the movie. don't know that it's the best of the pixars even, let alone best 25 of the century so far. but I liked it.

there are other movies up there that were similar head-scratchers... wasn't a big fan of million dollar baby, hurt locker or munich. all decent enough movies, but nothing that resonated or suggested something more than "good enough" to me in the narrative, visuals or technical sides. and certainly not movies I would ever consider to include in this kind of list.
It's not even close.  We did like it but since 2000 they produced Monsters Inc, Nemo, the incredibles, cars, wall-e, and up. All of which were better imo, not to mention the sequels monsters U and Toy Story 3 which I might even put above the originals. 

In no order 

Memento 

No Country for Old Men

Match Point

Lost in Translation

And There Will Be Blood

Mystic River

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Zodiac

Children of Men

12 Years a Slave

Amelie

Elf

Borat

Superbad

Wedding Crashers

The Hangover

The Dark Knight

Inception

The Departed

The Artist

Nebraska 

Her

Requiem for a Dream

Drive 

American Hustle

The target audience for that list is people who majored in philosophy in collage and now ask you why you want fries with your order while they are at work.

The target audience for that list is people who majored in philosophy in collage and now ask you why you want fries with your order while they are at work.
The target audience of this post is your face. 

In no order 

Memento 

No Country for Old Men

Match Point

Lost in Translation

And There Will Be Blood

Mystic River

Zodiac

Children of Men

12 Years a Slave

Amelie

Elf

Borat

Superbad

Wedding Crashers

The Hangover

The Dark Knight

Inception

The Departed

The Artist

Nebraska 

Her

Requiem for a Dream

Drive 

American Hustle
I like this list 100x more than the NYT.  

I did my thread on the 2000s and this decade, but can't remember it.  I am sure the highlighted were near the very top for me too though. 

I like how it seems like people who don't watch movies have such a strong opinion about them.  ;)
I don't much anymore.  But I used to and since this list dates back 17 years I feel qualified to speak.  I did say Boyhood was terrific...gave my opinion on others.  But by and large, I don't have the time nor the desire to watch many movies.  I find the movie experience at a theater to be a negative ROI and just can't get excited about the big blockbuster flicks forced down my throat via advertisements.

Magnolia >>> There Will Be Blood.  That's right....I said it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't much anymore.  But I used to and since this list dates back 17 years I feel qualified to speak.  I did say Boyhood was terrific...gave my opinion on others.  But by and large, I don't have the time nor the desire to watch many movies.  I find the movie experience at a theater to be a negative ROI and just can't get excited about the big blockbuster flicks forced down my via advertisements.

Magnolia >>> There Will Be Blood.  That's right....I said it. 
Boogie Nights >>> Magnolia >>> There Will Be Blood

Is this 2000-present or 2001-present?  Because some great stuff from 2000 was left off. Almost Famous and Memento, for instance. 

Definitely the worst portrayal of touring of all time. Wish my old FFA rants had survived the purge - i havent the verve to recast them.
Yeah, you definitely can't view it as a biopic. 

But the soundtrack (also the soundtrack to The Boat That Rocked) forgives a lot. 

Yeah, you definitely can't view it as a biopic. 

But the soundtrack (also the soundtrack to The Boat That Rocked) forgives a lot. 
The best song associated with that awful flick was my rewrite on these boards of Tiny Dancer to make the subject a groupie turned out in a tour bus

The best song associated with that awful flick was my rewrite on these boards of Tiny Dancer to make the subject a groupie turned out in a tour bus
I understand not loving the whole thing. If you can't respect America, Simple Man, or I'm Waiting For The Man, you should be beaten over the head with a dead halibut repeatedly. 

hard to say - aint seen many of those. stopped going to the movies about a decade ago & Redbox has been my only film connection the last 5-6 years out in the boonies and they dont offer those type flix.

Fury Road & 40yo Virgin are the only ones from my 21st C Top 25. None of my top five - Imitation Game, Sweeney Todd, Adaptation, Lincoln, Gravity (imagine this aint that great a movie but the 3D experience of it was one of my great moments in a movie theater) is in their list.
Adaptation is a good call.  Sweeney Todd and Gravity? Tell the truth, you're actually my wife, aren't you?  Just messing with me?

Wizard of Oz also sucks as it's a total misrepresentation of life on a farm. 
"Under The Rainbow" was muuuch better - those wee ####### sure raised a ruckus, no?

and howzabout a little love for Billy Barty, and his fiendish stripping of Princess Leia down to her skivvies   :pickle:

Adaptation is a good call.  Sweeney Todd and Gravity? Tell the truth, you're actually my wife, aren't you?  Just messing with me?
Shouldn't you be out mowing the lawn instead of talking to your internet friends, like you do all night sometimes after our Freaky Fridays?! We're seeing the Lawsons tomorrow so you can't do it then and i'm not the one who'll be moaning about cutting it double-length after it rains all week....*folds arms, turns away*

In no order 

Memento 

No Country for Old Men

Match Point

Lost in Translation

And There Will Be Blood

Mystic River

Zodiac

Children of Men

12 Years a Slave

Amelie

Elf

Borat

Superbad

Wedding Crashers

The Hangover

The Dark Knight

Inception

The Departed

The Artist

Nebraska 

Her

Requiem for a Dream

Drive 

American Hustle
You need to send in your resume into the NYT. They need better film reviewers. 

I agree with the above mentions of City of God, Children of Men, and Ex Machina as on my shortlist of best films so far this century.  Not having The Dark Night is a travshamockery

Users who are viewing this thread