What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 25 Greatest Films of the 21st Century So Far (1 Viewer)

You need to send in your resume into the NYT. They need better film reviewers. 
I haven't seen a lot of those foreign movies so maybe they are really good, who knows. I am not adverse to likeing foreign films (although I only have 1 on my list). My biggest questions on my list are the comedies. I haven't seen some of them in a few years. Do they still hold up? Would a teenager find those movies funny or will they be lost on future generations? Comedies have to be accounted for on movie lists. The NYT seemed to fail to fairly account for comedies. 

Yeah, you definitely can't view it as a biopic. 

But the soundtrack (also the soundtrack to The Boat That Rocked) forgives a lot. 
Watched it with my older boys and they didn't like it as much as I thought they would.  I enjoy it for the music and for nostalgia. 

That list seemed iffy but I didn't see all of them. Million dollar baby sucks

but that said, I'm glad to see summer hours getting love. Great film 

Can we stop skirting the real issue here?

Most of these "top" lists are made by pretentious critics that favor artsy fartsy and foreign flicks. That is a misguided approach. Most of the mainstream lists would be fine if they were honest and listed as " the top whatever dramas and/or art house films". 

The truth is if you are making a list of top films then the only criteria should be that the film is entertaining regardless of cinematography, message, cast etc. If the best films are judged appropriately based on entertainment value then just about all of these lists are invalid because they overwhelmingly ignore comedy, sci-fi and fantasy as well as several other obscure sub-genres.

Bottom line this list is a crap and it only stands out as probably the crappiest  film list Ever made. I've seen more well thought out lists in YouTube or Reddit comments.

Its sad to think about some idiot sitting around and writing this garbage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most of these "top" lists are made by pretentious critics that favor artsy fartsy and foreign flicks. That is a misguided approach. Most of the mainstream lists would be fine if they were honest and listed as " the top whatever dramas and/or art house films". 

The truth is if you are making a list of top films then the only criteria should be that the film is entertaining regardless of cinematography, message, cast etc. If the best films are judged appropriately based on entertainment value then just about all of these lists are invalid because they overwhelmingly ignore comedy, sci-fi and fantasy as well as several other obscure sub-genres.

Bottom line this list is a crap and it only stands out as probably the crappiest  film list Ever made. I've seen more well thought out lists in YouTube or Reddit comments.

Funny how someone can be so close to being right and still so wrong at the same time.

P1 was great, very accurate. P2 is misguided. We can make a list of highest grossing a movies but why? That's just a factual list. Movies are every bit an art as they are a commodity. Criticism is as valid as art itself. The full value of a movie can not just be measured in profit. 

13 for me. don't agree with the order, and surprised as #### not to see Lives of Others or City of God in there... but I like a bunch of those. YiYi is one of my favorite movies- happy to see it get some respect on that list.
:yes:   Seems like I'm always hyping Yi Yi here, but it's a perfect movie.

On the NFW side, The Gleaners and I is one of my least favorite documentaries.

ETA:  Have seen 18 of these.

ETA2:  Think the list is rubbish.

I cannot make you understand. I cannot make anyone understand what is happening inside me. I cannot even explain it to myself. 
Doesn't sound like you can explain anything.....just disagree.

If you have a different viewpoint you should be prepared to express it if you are going to comment on people's posts. If not I'll just assume you are drunk and talking nonsense.

Doesn't sound like you can explain anything.....just disagree.

If you have a different viewpoint you should be prepared to express it if you are going to comment on people's posts. If not I'll just assume you are drunk and talking nonsense.
I responded to your post directly. Kafka understands my post to him.

Of course people are free to make a list however they want, but I personally think this is a bad way to approach it too. 

The fact is movies are an art form, or at least they can be used and viewed as such.  We get this in every medium and I think the truth is somewhere in the middle and we just need to accept that people consume these things in a variety of different ways.  Some people want to watch #### blow up while they shovel Sour Patch Kids in their mouth for 90mins and shut off their brain.  Nothing wrong with that and there are tons of movies made for that.  Some people are interested in the way the shot is set up, the way the camera movies, the other 100s of things that go on behind the scenes and there are directors and movies for that too.  Where we always go wrong is thinking that one way or the other is correct.  I poked fun at the list, but I have also put my top 150 movies of the last 15 years on the board, so I know how hard doing these lists are.  In the end I like looking at the lists and I think they always say something about the person putting them out there, which I find interesting. 

Depending on the critic there is something to be learned with these lists and reviews, but I think now more than ever being a critic of anything has just gone the way of the news cycle in that you have to take so much time sifting through the BS that is there for click bait by people that have no more film knowledge or experience than I do and people that maybe actually went film school or have some insight that you could learn from. 

Again, this happens for every art form.   But just like there is a different between a Mozart piece and a Nickelback song, there is a difference between a Kubrick movie and Transformers.  Doesn't mean you can't enjoy one more than the other, but let's not pretend that there isn't a difference in talent or difficulty of doing one over the other.  I think the best lists or critics are able to blend the two and not take themselves too seriously.  I don't trust a critic that can't enjoy a Marvel movie or a comedy.  I think this list was trying to do that, I just also think most of the movies were terrible. 

Agree with large portion of this.

P1 was great, very accurate. P2 is misguided. We can make a list of highest grossing a movies but why? That's just a factual list. Movies are every bit an art as they are a commodity. Criticism is as valid as art itself. The full value of a movie can not just be measured in profit. 
@RokNRole

General Malaise said:
I don't much anymore.  But I used to and since this list dates back 17 years I feel qualified to speak.  I did say Boyhood was terrific...gave my opinion on others.  But by and large, I don't have the time nor the desire to watch many movies.  I find the movie experience at a theater to be a negative ROI and just can't get excited about the big blockbuster flicks forced down my throat via advertisements.

Magnolia >>> There Will Be Blood.  That's right....I said it. 
Magnolia might be the most self indulgent, worst movie of the 21th century so far. Watching miserable losers for 3 hours was excruciating. The frog rain was stupid. Repeating "One Is The Loneliness Number" 6,000 times in the beginning made even Aimee Mann irritating, which is pretty hard to do. There Will Be Blood had a lousy 2nd half but at least the first half was interesting.

Magnolia might be the most self indulgent, worst movie of the 21th century so far. Watching miserable losers for 3 hours was excruciating. The frog rain was stupid. Repeating "One Is The Loneliness Number" 6,000 times in the beginning made even Aimee Mann irritating, which is pretty hard to do. There Will Be Blood had a lousy 2nd half but at least the first half was interesting.
Thought they were both stinky, excepting DD-L's performance in the latter. Pull Lewis out i dont see a thing to like in TWBB and that kinda story's right up my alley.

Sidebar -I rarely try to figure out a great actor's process, but i honestly believe DD-L was playing Plainview as if he were an oil well himself - bubbling, threatening promise, gurgling, rushing, bursting finally. Lub dat -

guess you've never been tied down to a chair and had an Alex LaFarge-like treatment during "Happiness" 

biggest mutha ####### POS to ever trouble cinema  :popcorn:

ETA: i see you cited 21st century, so, "Happiness" doesn't qualify there. 

guess you've never been tied down to a chair and had an Alex LaFarge-like treatment during "Happiness" 

biggest mutha ####### POS to ever trouble cinema  :popcorn:

ETA: i see you cited 21st century, so, "Happiness" doesn't qualify there. 
man- I did not walk out of happiness feeling happy (we're talking the solandz thing, right- not the jaden smith is will smiths' son so deserves a movie movie?). 

solandz and some of the frenchy directors out there have an ability to press all of my bourgeois buttons and make me feel really uncomfortable. I cant' get past that to enjoy the movies at all... even if I can see some of the artistry outside of that button pushing. I end up feeling the same strong reaction you're showing there... which stays with me. won't ever say that I like or will like these type of movies, but I appreciate and respect that they make me feel that strongly. too much of what's out there is just throwaway, where I barely remember I saw the thing as soon as credits drop. 

5/25

There Will Be Blood deserves a spot, but not #1.

40 year old Virgin doesn't belong on this list.

man- I did not walk out of happiness feeling happy (we're talking the solandz thing, right- not the jaden smith is will smiths' son so deserves a movie movie?). 

solandz and some of the frenchy directors out there have an ability to press all of my bourgeois buttons and make me feel really uncomfortable. I cant' get past that to enjoy the movies at all... even if I can see some of the artistry outside of that button pushing. I end up feeling the same strong reaction you're showing there... which stays with me. won't ever say that I like or will like these type of movies, but I appreciate and respect that they make me feel that strongly. too much of what's out there is just throwaway, where I barely remember I saw the thing as soon as credits drop. 
yes, the Solandz ####show

and i can really dig where you're coming from ... but that kinda visceral gut punch better have more tangible substance - because, much like "American Beauty", i find forays into outrageous suburban angst and ennui empty when they are played simply for the "oooohhhh - look at how many taboos we can trot out there - aren't we 'cutting edge'!!?!1?!"

i think two very underrated flicks accomplished it muchmuchmuch better: "Lymelife" and "The Ice Storm" 

as i said earlier in regards to "AB", it was boring and trite and not shocking in the least ... and, as underwhelming as i found it to be, it's still light years better than "Happiness".

Is this 2000-present or 2001-present?  Because some great stuff from 2000 was left off. Almost Famous and Memento, for instance. 
Correctly, it should be 2001-present.

[snob hat on]A '0' should be the last year of a decade/year/century because when you count, you start with 1 and end with the 10/100/1000. When we switch decades/centuries/millennia we like to go with the 9 as the end of the previous era. [/snob hat off]

Correctly, it should be 2001-present.

[snob hat on]A '0' should be the last year of a decade/year/century because when you count, you start with 1 and end with the 10/100/1000. When we switch decades/centuries/millennia we like to go with the 9 as the end of the previous era. [/snob hat off]
Yeah, that's why I asked. 

Users who are viewing this thread