What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Bible (1 Viewer)

Joe T

Footballguy
Anyone else watching this?

Sunday nights at 7 pm central. I think they've done an excellent job so far. :thumbup:

Lots of ###-kicking and murder in this thing so far. There was some angel-ninja guy who sliced the #### out of people in Sodom before God brought the heat down. I doubt they show this in too many Sunday school classes.

Before this series, I was unaware of how many of the Bible's female figures I wanted to have Biblical relations with.

There are some hotties in this series.

I watched the first and have the second one on the DVR. I liked it but it was pretty simplistic. It isn't anything that hasn't been done before but its presented in a good format.

Vikings is a good show, too.

Missed it and was going to watch on VOD, but then saw a commercial for it during Vikings. Jesus with the fan blowing his hair back and reaching a hand with a hole in it towards camera. Looked like Lifetime original programming cheesy.

At least they don't sugarcoat the slaughtering that went on but it's still a fairly generic retelling. Not bad but kinda cheesy.

I've enjoyed this show so far. The producers claimed to stay as true to the Bible stories as possible. Not so sure about that, but it's been entertaining. I'd be interested to read reviews from both Christians and Jewish religious folks. It is certainly shown from a Christian perspective.

Thanks for starting this thread. I DVRed the first one, was thinking about watching it tonight, but curious to hear the responses. Sounds like it's worth a watch, but I'm hesitant to sink a ten hours into this.

I've enjoyed this show so far. The producers claimed to stay as true to the Bible stories as possible. Not so sure about that, but it's been entertaining. I'd be interested to read reviews from both Christians and Jewish religious folks. It is certainly shown from a Christian perspective.
I only watched the second one up to the point of Samson's death. But I don't see how it's been shown from a "christian" perspective, aside from the fact that the Jews of that time didn't use the word "lord", but used his name YHWH.

So far I've enjoyed it. Having studied the Bible quite a bit, there were several interesting scenes chosen for the series that I didn't realize happened.

One scene that is a pet peeve for me is the fact that every movie that contains the scene of Pharaoh at the Red Sea shows him living. :thumbdown:

Overall, it's been pretty accurate. A little over the top with some of the acting but good nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far I've enjoyed it. Having studied the Bible quite a bit, there were several interesting scenes chosen for the series that I didn't realize happened.One scene that is a pet peeve for me is the fact that they every movie that contains the scene of Pharaoh at the Red Sea shows him living. :thumbdown:Overall, it's been pretty accurate. A little over the top with some of the acting but good nonetheless.
Agree, with this. Some of it has been a bit made for TV dramatic, but for the most part I've enjoyed it. It helps to visualize what you've read from the bible. It's not perfect, but for the most part is is good.

I'm curious to see if they'll get 3 different actors to play JC, God, and the Holy Spirit, or just one guy to play all 3

I'm curious to see if they'll get 3 different actors to play JC, God, and the Holy Spirit, or just one guy to play all 3
It might be tough to find three guys that are different, but also are the same person.
Not necessary. 2 people to play God and Jesus, and the Lost smoke monster can play the holy spirit. It's not a person anyhow. (Wait, that's a different thread right?) ;)

It might be tough to find three guys that are different, but also are the same person.
Not necessary. 2 people to play God and Jesus, and the Lost smoke monster can play the holy spirit. It's not a person anyhow. (Wait, that's a different thread right?) ;)
I'm with you on this one

'shader said:
'Jayrok said:
I only watched the second one up to the point of Samson's death. But I don't see how it's been shown from a "christian" perspective, aside from the fact that the Jews of that time didn't use the word "lord", but used his name YHWH.
I was talking more about the first episode with Abraham. BTW, Abraham looked good for a 100 year old man. There were subtle things like when he went to sacrifice Isaac on the altar. Before he plunged the knife Abraham turned and saw a small lamb standing there. The story has a ram caught in the thicket by its horns. But the lamb is more in line with the lamb of God (i.e. Jesus) to take the place of Abe's sacrifice of his son, Isaac. In another part where the 3 men visited Abraham before the scene at Sodom, one of the men was Asian, one was African, and the other's face isn't shown to the camera, but you can see he has long brown hair and was the leader. He is clearly shown as Jesus. There is no indication in Genesis that one of these 3 men is Jesus the son of God, so there is an example of the Christian influence on the show.

The more I watch it the less interesting it becomes. Too much forsaking accuracy for what they consider drama. Kinda like Braveheart.

'shader said:
'Jayrok said:
I was talking more about the first episode with Abraham. BTW, Abraham looked good for a 100 year old man. There were subtle things like when he went to sacrifice Isaac on the altar. Before he plunged the knife Abraham turned and saw a small lamb standing there. The story has a ram caught in the thicket by its horns. But the lamb is more in line with the lamb of God (i.e. Jesus) to take the place of Abe's sacrifice of his son, Isaac. In another part where the 3 men visited Abraham before the scene at Sodom, one of the men was Asian, one was African, and the other's face isn't shown to the camera, but you can see he has long brown hair and was the leader. He is clearly shown as Jesus. There is no indication in Genesis that one of these 3 men is Jesus the son of God, so there is an example of the Christian influence on the show.
This is a bit of a stretch, isn't it?

'shader said:
'Jayrok said:
how so?

'shader said:
'Jayrok said:
how so?
I didn't pick up on one of the angels being Jesus or on the lamb thing, but interesting points.

The more I watch it the less interesting it becomes. Too much forsaking accuracy for what they consider drama. Kinda like Braveheart.
I think some parts are silly. The angels doing Bruce Lee moves is a bit much. But all in all, I like seeing the visualization of events.

'shader said:
'Jayrok said:
how so?
If this was a sermon and the preacher tried to make it into Christological typology, then I would agree. But in a movie, it's hard to know exactly what the intention was. The main theological portrayal is fairly consistent so far with both a Christian and Jewish reading of the OT IMO. God chose a people, saved them through Egypt, gave them the promised land. Faith in God over faith in self, political power etc. Thread of a seed/lineage from Abraham onward.

'shader said:
'Jayrok said:
how so?
If this was a sermon and the preacher tried to make it into Christological typology, then I would agree. But in a movie, it's hard to know exactly what the intention was. The main theological portrayal is fairly consistent so far with both a Christian and Jewish reading of the OT IMO. God chose a people, saved them through Egypt, gave them the promised land. Faith in God over faith in self, political power etc. Thread of a seed/lineage from Abraham onward.
ok. I should have said it is shown from a Christian perspective in my opinion. When I saw the third man talking it clearly looked like he was presented as Jesus, to me, though it was subtle. They didn't show his face, just from over his shoulder. And he was speaking as God talking to Abraham, as if God was one of the 3 men himself in Genesis. This fits into the Christian view that Jesus=God himself. But it doesn't fit with the Jewish point of view that God would not appear on earth as a man.

'shader said:
'Jayrok said:
how so?
ok. I should have said it is shown from a Christian perspective in my opinion. When I saw the third man talking it clearly looked like he was presented as Jesus, to me, though it was subtle. They didn't show his face, just from over his shoulder. And he was speaking as God talking to Abraham, as if God was one of the 3 men himself in Genesis. This fits into the Christian view that Jesus=God himself. But it doesn't fit with the Jewish point of view that God would not appear on earth as a man.
I guess I didn't make that connection. But angels often spoke for god/as gods messenger. The word angel comes from the Greek for messenger.

'shader said:
'Jayrok said:
how so?
Yeah, I thought it was obvious that they were implying the third guy was Jesus.

At least they don't sugarcoat the slaughtering that went on but it's still a fairly generic retelling. Not bad but kinda cheesy.
This, whole thing is ok but my wife keeps asking me if I want her to pause it if I happen to get up for something and I ask why? I know how it ends. This episode was a lot better than the first one imo but the campy CGI stuff is unnecessary. Just tell the story.

Users who are viewing this thread