What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Big Chicken Coop: RL's Virtual Radio Station (1 Viewer)

A couple poppy "alternative" songs that I really enjoy, without apology:

The Struts - Kiss This  The Struts are an Alternapop band with a bit of a glam rock flavor. 

Say Anything - Alive With the Glory of Love It's a bouncy little punk-pop diddy about hiding from Nazis in the ghettos of Poland during the Holocaust. The official video really sucks too.
I want to like the struts...felt like they just try too hard. Better than not trying, and their stuff is overall decent enough.

Similar level but less in the trying too hard...boy azooga- loner boogie

I took another unplanned break from the board and while I was gone I really spent some time going through this band's catalog, after not having paid them much mind for 40 years.

It turns out these guys were among the most influential bands ever, influencing other bands from the English punk/post-punk scene, to Industrial (which they basically invented), to Heavy Metal, to today's modern alternative artists.  You also have to love a prolific band that also publishes tons of rarities, remixes, and even dub versions of their music.

I am talking about Killing Joke, of course.

Here are the absolute best versions of three of my favorite songs from the early part of their career. Despite being 35-40 years old each of these songs was far enough ahead of its time that I think that these could be played on the new music feature of a modern alternative radio station and nobody who didn't know the songs already would think they were that old.

Killing Joke - Requiem - Malicious Damage Mix

Killing Joke - Love Like Blood - Gestalt Mix

Killing Joke - Tension - BBC Session

Love like blood went on a bunch of my mix tapes.

I think we talked briefly about them...feel like I haven't listened to them at all since those days. Like you, I'm overdue for a deep dive.

I took another unplanned break from the board and while I was gone I really spent some time going through this band's catalog, after not having paid them much mind for 40 years.

It turns out these guys were among the most influential bands ever, influencing other bands from the English punk/post-punk scene, to Industrial (which they basically invented), to Heavy Metal, to today's modern alternative artists.  You also have to love a prolific band that also publishes tons of rarities, remixes, and even dub versions of their music.

I am talking about Killing Joke, of course.

Here are the absolute best versions of three of my favorite songs from the early part of their career. Despite being 35-40 years old each of these songs was far enough ahead of its time that I think that these could be played on the new music feature of a modern alternative radio station and nobody who didn't know the songs already would think they were that old.

Killing Joke - Requiem - Malicious Damage Mix

Killing Joke - Love Like Blood - Gestalt Mix

Killing Joke - Tension - BBC Session
I like this. :thumbup:

Pete Townsend put out a solo album in the mid-80s that was just okay overall, but this song (which was not one of the singles from the album) is more than okay:

White City Fighting - Pete Townsend

It turns out the song has a dual writing credit for David Gilmour and Pete Townsend and an interesting history:

The track "White City Fighting" originated as a composition written by David Gilmour for his 1984 solo album About Face.[3] He asked Townshend to supply lyrics, but felt that he couldn't relate to them, so Townshend used the song instead with Gilmour playing guitar.[3] Gilmour sent the same tune to Roy Harper, whose lyrics had the same effect as Townshend's on Gilmour.[3] Harper used the result, "Hope", which has a markedly slower tempo, on his 1985 album with Jimmy Page called Whatever Happened to Jugula?.[3]

Users who are viewing this thread