What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE FBG Fashion Thread :style: (2 Viewers)

My casual wear consists of cargo shorts and t-shirts from 10Ks or local bars along with sandals or running shoes (depending on how much walking I plan on doing) and some framless Maui Jims (thanks, Mad Cow!). What's the verdict?
Summer attire for guys is a tough one for me. I'm not a big shorts and sandals guy personally, but understand that in the summer it's a necessity and when it's hot out comfort is key.Here's what my thoughts would be for your post:

- Cargo shorts are OK to me....just make sure the pockets are somewhat streamlined to the leg...not a big fan of the shorts that have pockets that stick out 4" from the leg and look like you have a bag lunch packed away in there. Also make sure the length is appropriate....my rule of thumb is just below the bottom of the kneecap. When I wear shorts I also tend to go up a size in the waist than what I wear for pants....I personally like my shorts to be a little bit baggier and have a little hang to them compared to pants. A snug fitting shirt with slightly baggier shorts is a solid summer look IMO.

- Personally I'm not a big fan of the marathon, local bar, softball league, Intramural champ T-shirt thing. I feel it comes off as cheap looking. Now, if the shirt has a subtle design or a funny saying or picture or something that's a conversation starter than I'm all for it, but more often than not I'm more of a fan of just a solid color T-shirt (v-neck preferred. Bonus points if the t-shirt looks a little vintage and washed out or faded). More simple and classic.

- Sandals or running shoes are fine. Just be careful with the running shoes....make sure they aren't bulky cross-trainers. Shoes with shorts should lean towards being more of a streamlined "athletic type" looking shoe and keep em simple. All white or incorporating one color is better. Subtle is always better in my opinion.

- Also be careful with the socks when wearing sneakers....I prefer no socks or very short (below the ankle bone height where you can't really see them anyways) if you're the kind of person who gets weirded out by not wearing socks with shoes.

- Thumbs up on the shades!

Visual of what I'm trying to explain...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HE7ZiqYDIW0/RqhN...shorts!.JPG
The only real problem I have here is that people that wear fake vintage t-shirts or ones with "witty" sayings on them should be punched in the face repeatedly. Legit 20 year-old Jax Beer t-shirt = :sleep:

Brand new faded Miller High Life t-shirt from Target = :facepunch:

MacArtist said:
100$ for a pair of jeans :sleep:I paid 12$ for some Kirklands and I look good in them.
You are indeed blessed. Any jeans I find at that price tend to look like Mom Jeans. Ugh. Must be nice being a guy when it comes to jeans.
I am just a poor fellah. They may look like #### for all I know. They do last though.

Had a discussion with some friends while at lunch. So i pose this question to some of you FBG's. Do you fashion conscious FBG's regard yourselves as pretty boy's? Some of my friends apparently think that if you are into fashion and matching your outfit it makes you a pretty boy. Mind you im from a small city in florida (apopka). Where i guess "real" men wear a regular shirt wrangler jeans and some dickies work boots.

So what say you guys?
I'm sure we come off as pretty boys and I guess there really isn't a whole lot you can do about it. If you're confident in what you wear and how you look and feel good than who really cares what others think.
I know this is the thing you're supposed to say but it's been my experience that most people that say it care a great deal about what others think. For some, it's the primary motivator. Not saying that it's the case with you as I don't know you. But it seems to be the case for lots of people that say that.So while it sounds good, it rings hollow for many.

J

MacArtist said:
$100+ FOR A PAIR OF JEANS???
The jeans that I've paid $100 or more for are the ones that last. My favorite pairs are at least 10 years old.My cheaper jeans are the ones in the trash two years later.

I know it might sounds strange, but I'm actually saving more money in the long run by buying a much higher-quality pair of jeans. Plus, it is a pain trying to find jeans in a 29/30 waist, 31" long. I find the higher-end jeans offer more size-wise. So not only do I get quality, but I get to save the time and expense of getting them altered.

Plus, since I'm an art director, I never wear skirts/slacks. I always wear jeans because we creative types can get away with it in the workplace. So yeah, it is worth it to me to pay upwards of $150 for a great pair of jeans. They are the only fashion item I splurge on.
Yeah but you're a girl. Totally different for a guy.I bought a pair of jeans off the clearance rack at Kohls for $20. The look great and have lasted close to 2 years.

Being tan and in great shape has nothing to do with being in style. More often than not, the colors you wear and the fit/cut of the clothes make you look bigger or skinnier than you actually are.
The older I get, the more I've come to realize that there is a lot more to how you look regardless of the clothes. You see it all the time with great looking men and women. Brad Pitt can wear pretty much whatever he wants and look good. Looking through my GQ the other day and they had Chris Pine with a classic fashion mistake - short sleeved dress shirt and tie. And he looked great because he's a good looking guy in shape. http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/slideshow/...false&cnt=1

Nice clothes help. But I don't think they're a substitute for getting off the couch.

J

Being tan and in great shape has nothing to do with being in style. More often than not, the colors you wear and the fit/cut of the clothes make you look bigger or skinnier than you actually are.
The older I get, the more I've come to realize that there is a lot more to how you look regardless of the clothes. You see it all the time with great looking men and women. Brad Pitt can wear pretty much whatever he wants and look good. Looking through my GQ the other day and they had Chris Pine with a classic fashion mistake - short sleeved dress shirt and tie. And he looked great because he's a good looking guy in shape. http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/slideshow/...false&cnt=1

Nice clothes help. But I don't think they're a substitute for getting off the couch.

J
:X I have to say I looked pretty darn good in this T yesterday.

My casual wear consists of cargo shorts and t-shirts from 10Ks or local bars along with sandals or running shoes (depending on how much walking I plan on doing) and some framless Maui Jims (thanks, Mad Cow!). What's the verdict?
Summer attire for guys is a tough one for me. I'm not a big shorts and sandals guy personally, but understand that in the summer it's a necessity and when it's hot out comfort is key.Here's what my thoughts would be for your post:

- Cargo shorts are OK to me....just make sure the pockets are somewhat streamlined to the leg...not a big fan of the shorts that have pockets that stick out 4" from the leg and look like you have a bag lunch packed away in there. Also make sure the length is appropriate....my rule of thumb is just below the bottom of the kneecap. When I wear shorts I also tend to go up a size in the waist than what I wear for pants....I personally like my shorts to be a little bit baggier and have a little hang to them compared to pants. A snug fitting shirt with slightly baggier shorts is a solid summer look IMO.

- Personally I'm not a big fan of the marathon, local bar, softball league, Intramural champ T-shirt thing. I feel it comes off as cheap looking. Now, if the shirt has a subtle design or a funny saying or picture or something that's a conversation starter than I'm all for it, but more often than not I'm more of a fan of just a solid color T-shirt (v-neck preferred. Bonus points if the t-shirt looks a little vintage and washed out or faded). More simple and classic.

- Sandals or running shoes are fine. Just be careful with the running shoes....make sure they aren't bulky cross-trainers. Shoes with shorts should lean towards being more of a streamlined "athletic type" looking shoe and keep em simple. All white or incorporating one color is better. Subtle is always better in my opinion.

- Also be careful with the socks when wearing sneakers....I prefer no socks or very short (below the ankle bone height where you can't really see them anyways) if you're the kind of person who gets weirded out by not wearing socks with shoes.

The only real problem I have here is that people that wear fake vintage t-shirts or ones with "witty" sayings on them should be punched in the face repeatedly. Legit 20 year-old Jax Beer t-shirt = :lmao:

:lmao: ironic t shirts are played like parker brothers and the fake vintage ones are even worse. Ed Hardy even worse than worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

The only real problem I have here is that people that wear fake vintage t-shirts or ones with "witty" sayings on them should be punched in the face repeatedly. Legit 20 year-old Jax Beer t-shirt = :lmao:

Agree for the most part. When I was saying "vintage" I guess I was more or less envisioning a solid colored that was slightly faded or distressed shirt that didn't look straight off the rack and lived in a bit...which is why I threw in the term "Bonus points" becuase having a proper one and pulling it off correctly is rare. I agree that no go on the new faded Miller High Life or "Who let the dogs out" ridiculousness.

:lmao: ironic t shirts are played like parker brothers and the fake vintage ones are even worse. Ed Hardy even worse that worse.
Agree on all fronts. Ed Hardy and Affliction T-shirts might as well just say "d-bag" across the chest and be done with it.

MacArtist said:
MacArtist said:
$100+ FOR A PAIR OF JEANS???
The jeans that I've paid $100 or more for are the ones that last. My favorite pairs are at least 10 years old.My cheaper jeans are the ones in the trash two years later.

I know it might sounds strange, but I'm actually saving more money in the long run by buying a much higher-quality pair of jeans. Plus, it is a pain trying to find jeans in a 29/30 waist, 31" long. I find the higher-end jeans offer more size-wise. So not only do I get quality, but I get to save the time and expense of getting them altered.

Plus, since I'm an art director, I never wear skirts/slacks. I always wear jeans because we creative types can get away with it in the workplace. So yeah, it is worth it to me to pay upwards of $150 for a great pair of jeans. They are the only fashion item I splurge on.
Yeah but you're a girl. Totally different for a guy.I bought a pair of jeans off the clearance rack at Kohls for $20. The look great and have lasted close to 2 years.
True, I am a girl. However, it seems to me that the jeans for guys are so much more simple. We women have more hangups about our bodies. So we want jeans that slim our tummies,make our ### look good, and makes us look thin. It's a lot harder to find jeans that we feel show us off and yet look cool. For guys, I think it is much more simple than that. =) All you need is the waist/length/color and you are pretty much set. Not so with us.
yeah, being a guy when I try on jeans I want my belly to bulge, my ### to look flat and an obese look in general :X

Had a discussion with some friends while at lunch. So i pose this question to some of you FBG's. Do you fashion conscious FBG's regard yourselves as pretty boy's? Some of my friends apparently think that if you are into fashion and matching your outfit it makes you a pretty boy. Mind you im from a small city in florida (apopka). Where i guess "real" men wear a regular shirt wrangler jeans and some dickies work boots.

So what say you guys?
I'm sure we come off as pretty boys and I guess there really isn't a whole lot you can do about it. If you're confident in what you wear and how you look and feel good than who really cares what others think.
I know this is the thing you're supposed to say but it's been my experience that most people that say it care a great deal about what others think. For some, it's the primary motivator. Not saying that it's the case with you as I don't know you. But it seems to be the case for lots of people that say that.So while it sounds good, it rings hollow for many.

J
Totally agree. Of course the "fashion guys" are going to care what others think to some extent because otherwise we'd just save the time and effort and throw on some baggy sweatshirt and comfortable oversized jeans and call it a day.What I meant about not caring what others think is if they feel that we are "pretty boys". Getting called pretty boy or #### or whatever other term you want to use doesn't bother me in the least...at this point I more or less just take it as a compliment because it's usually coming from the guys that have absolutely no fashion sense whatsoever.

J
Obviously looking like Brad Pitt helps. Many celebrities can wear a ridiculous outfit from the 80's, add a little spin on it and make it into a mini fashion trend if they wanted to. Unfortunately for the masses looking like a celebrity or even remotely close (both face and body) is next to impossible.So, although I agree that being in shape helps any type of clothes look and fit better there are things that bigger guys can do to help themselves.

First thing most bigger guys do is buy oversized baggy clothing thinking that will cover up the rough spots in their body, when actuality it just makes them look even bigger. Clothes don't need to be tight, but they should fit properly. Also, color is a big deal....the bigger you are the less brighter colors and patterns you should have in your wardrobe. The color black is a naturally slimming color. And wearing vertical type stripes instead of horizontal stripes in shirts tricks the eye into seeing height instead of width.

You guys wear sandals with jeans like the guy in that pic? Doesn't that ruin the jeans?
I'm not a "fashion guru", but I always wear sandals with jeans in the summer. It won't ruin the jeans unless your jeans are way too long to begin with and are dragging on the ground. :shrug:

You guys wear sandals with jeans like the guy in that pic? Doesn't that ruin the jeans?
I'm not a "fashion guru", but I always wear sandals with jeans in the summer. It won't ruin the jeans unless your jeans are way too long to begin with and are dragging on the ground. :shrug:
Never really liked that look. And i've always seen the jeans dragging on the ground when someone was trying to pull of the look. So i just don't understand the appeal of wearing sandals with jeans. Is it a comfort thing?

I'm not a fan of sandals with jeans. Don't really like the look and does have a tendency to ruin the bottom hem of the jean over time....but, for me it's not as much about ruining the jeans as it is that I just don't really like the look. I feel sandals are meant to be paired up with shorts, not pants. Shorts have a tendency to lend themselves with more of a casual/comfort/somewhat sloppy look which are what sandals portray as well IMO so they work well together during hot and humid summer days/nights.

If your jeans are the appropriate length for regular shoes than they will drag on the ground if you're wearing acceptable sandals (flip flops or low profile slip ons).If your jeans aren't dragging than I'd have to think one of the following things are going on (all of which aren't good):- your jeans are too short when you wear regular shoes.- the sandals you're wearing have a thick bulky sole- your jeans have an overly tapered leg (meaning they get tight around the ankle)- you still french roll your jeans circa 1982.One thing that is starting to come back into style somewhat is to roll up the bottom of your jean pant leg to show off a glimpse of the underside of the pant. So, if you do like the jean/sandal look than this is something that you can possibly get away with and avoid beating up the hem.

If I could find a good pair of jeans for < $75 I'd be all over them, but I still have not been so lucky. I went through dept. store brands as a kid and Am Eagles types during college, all of them were either not appealing to the eye or fell apart < 2 yrs after purchasing them. I started buying higher quality jeans about 3-4 years ago, none of which for < $75, I now have five pairs of different higher end jeans and all of them are good as new, I doubt I'll need to buy another one anytime soon. Long run, saving $ while wearing a better product.

Never really liked that look. And i've always seen the jeans dragging on the ground when someone was trying to pull of the look. So i just don't understand the appeal of wearing sandals with jeans. Is it a comfort thing?
:shrug:1. I'm lazy2. I'm generally not fashionable3. I don't want to buy 10 pairs of sneakers to match up with my clothes (read: I'm cheap)4. It's more comfortable than wearing a pair of decent brown shoes, for the most part.5. I don't really care what I look like as long as my girlfriend likes it.I don't fit the trendy, upscale look...it's just not me. My family members (literally) try to get me to buy $200 jeans and really nice clothes, but it's not my look. Some people can pull it off, and I obviously have some nice clothes for situations when I have to look nicer, but I just wear what I like and what's comfortable, not necessarily what David Beckham (offdee keeps spelling his name wrong) is wearing.I have a specific friend in mind who tries so hard to look fashionable. But he tries so hard that he comes off looking like a fool. Like I said, the fashionable, trendy look works for some people. I don't think it works for me, and to be honest, I don't have enough disposable income to even try.

If your jeans are the appropriate length for regular shoes than they will drag on the ground if you're wearing acceptable sandals (flip flops or low profile slip ons).If your jeans aren't dragging than I'd have to think one of the two things are going on (all of which aren't good):- your jeans are too short when you wear regular shoes.- the sandals you're wearing have a thick bulky sole- your jeans have an overly tapered leg (meaning they get tighter around the ankle)- you still french roll your jeans circa 1982.
They drag in the back a little bit, but they're not like bell-bottom jeans. The jeans haven't frayed at all, but they're not flood pants. Not tapered leg.Sandals are standard flip-flops.I don't even know what a french roll is.

If I could find a good pair of jeans for < $75 I'd be all over them, but I still have not been so lucky. I went through dept. store brands as a kid and Am Eagles types during college, all of them were either not appealing to the eye or fell apart < 2 yrs after purchasing them. I started buying higher quality jeans about 3-4 years ago, none of which for < $75, I now have five pairs of different higher end jeans and all of them are good as new, I doubt I'll need to buy another one anytime soon. Long run, saving $ while wearing a better product.
:goodposting: Along with just fitting better and lasting longer they also tend to hold their "wash color" longer. Since darker jeans are what you're wanting to go with nowadays this is important....you don't want them to lighten up dramatically after a few washes.A couple of washing tips:- Always turn your jeans inside out before throwing them in the wash (this helps keep the color better)- Once your jeans are fitted properly (bought off the rack and fit perfectly or tailored) hang dry them rather than in your dryer. The dryer will tend to shrink them a bit.

I don't even know what a french roll is.
Just jokin', I know you're not doing that (at least I hope you're not!). Sweet visual..http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...olled_jeans.jpg
This lengthNot really the kind of jeans I wear, but at that length, it really doesn't ruin the jeans unless you're like trying to play sports or are scraping along concrete all day. :shrug:

But then again, I'm not the one who should be giving fashion advice.

Just jokin', I know you're not doing that (at least I hope you're not!). Sweet visual..http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...olled_jeans.jpg
This lengthNot really the kind of jeans I wear, but at that length, it really doesn't ruin the jeans unless you're like trying to play sports or are scraping along concrete all day. :shrug:

Hmm, tough to say but I'd think those jeans would look a little short if he had on normal shoes. I like to see a little bit more of a break in the pant leg when it hits the top of the shoe than what is showing there. Not terrible, but an extra inch of length on that picture would probably make a world of difference.I realize the below pic is of a woman's feet (and very ugly feet at that!), but you can get the idea of the subtle difference I'd suggest in length compared to your pic....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iNcHkTPSsYI/SgLk...may+7+jeans.jpg

Hmm, tough to say but I'd think those jeans would look a little short if he had on normal shoes. I like to see a little bit more of a break in the pant leg when it hits the top of the shoe than what is showing there. Not terrible, but an extra inch of length on that picture would probably make a world of difference.I realize the below pic is of a woman's feet (and very ugly feet at that!), but you can get the idea of the subtle difference I'd suggest in length compared to your pic....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iNcHkTPSsYI/SgLk...may+7+jeans.jpg
It's hard to find a pic that does justification without taking a picture of myself. I'd say somewhere between the two, but it's such a subtle thing that it's hard to find a picture of someone else.I know they're not flood pants. I used to rock the flood pants to Catholic school when I was a little kid. But I also used to have jeans that were way too long for me and used to drag on the floor and fray/rip in the back.

The only think I know is that they drag along the ground lightly, but don't rip. You'll have to take my word for it that they're the right length...it took a long time and a lot of pairs of jeans to find ones that work.

It's hard to find a pic that does justification without taking a picture of myself. I'd say somewhere between the two, but it's such a subtle thing that it's hard to find a picture of someone else.I know they're not flood pants. I used to rock the flood pants to Catholic school when I was a little kid. But I also used to have jeans that were way too long for me and used to drag on the floor and fray/rip in the back.The only think I know is that they drag along the ground lightly, but don't rip. You'll have to take my word for it that they're the right length...it took a long time and a lot of pairs of jeans to find ones that work.
:thumbup:

Great article on skinny jeans. The video interviewing people in Willamsburg,Brooklyn is pretty funny.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124683780090998061.html

By RAY A. SMITH

Doug Black has found himself in a tight squeeze more times than he cares to remember. One day, he got caught in the rain without an umbrella and was unable to run. When his colleagues sat in a circle, the 23-year-old English teacher from Portland, Ore., couldn't cross his legs. And when he tried to jaywalk, while in Beijing for work, he couldn't hop the median divider with his friends.

"I had to walk half a mile down the street on my own to use the crosswalk," he says.

From copper-plated to stone-washed, see the history of jeans in America.

His jeans were too tight. But he has no plans to buy a looser style. "Discomfort comes with the territory," he says.

Skinny jeans, with tapered legs and narrow-peg ankles, seemed like a flash in the pan when they appeared in stores a few years ago. They seemed more suited to women. Today, though, sales of men's skinny jeans are going strong, and mass brands Gap and Levi's are getting in on the action.

Explanations abound for why men would want to wear jeans that look so uncomfortable and impractical. Some fashion observers say skinny jeans' tight hold on certain men stems in part from the wearers' desire to show off their gym-sculpted bodies. Then, too, denim brands, retailers and men's fashion magazines have relentlessly promoted skinny jeans. And pop stars like Justin Timberlake and Kanye West, by wearing skinny jeans, have given something resembling permission for style-conscious young men to wear them.

But men are discovering, as women have long known, that the style can be unforgiving. One sometimes must diet and wiggle, tug and stretch to squeeze into a pair of tight jeans.

So the makers of men's jeans are trying to be more accommodating. Levi Strauss & Co. added room in the seat and thigh in its newest skinny jeans for men. True Religion added what it calls a "four-way stretch" spandex material to its line of men's jeans selling for between $172 and $398. (Worried that men consider spandex in anything other than gym clothes to be for women only, it isn't advertising that detail.) True Religion says 15% of the top-selling men's jeans in its own retail stores were "slim leg" jeans in the first quarter of 2009, up from 11% in the year-ago first quarter.

A Levi spokeswoman says: "Over the past several months, our men's skinny jeans styles have been among our most requested and top-selling jeans."

Men's premium jeans, a small part of the overall market, have been a bright spot in the current recession. Men's jeans sales totaled $5.31 billion in the U.S. for the 12 months ended April 30, according to market researcher NPD Group, down 2% from a year earlier. But sales of fashion jeans priced $50 and up rose 8%. NPD doesn't track sales by style.

7 for All Mankind, whose men's jeans sell for between $155 and $225, widened the thigh and elongated the distance from the crotch to the top of the waistband on the new skinny men's jeans it will start selling this month. After men complained that the thighs on its jeans were too tight, the label, owned by VF Corp., had male employees at its Los Angeles headquarters walk, squat and bend in prototypes of the new look. It sold the style, called "Jared," at its Los Angeles stores as a test. Customers liked it, says Rosella Giuliani, vice president of design and merchandising, so it is going national.

[Drawing Skinny Jeans]

"Guys don't want leggings," says Patrick Robinson, head designer at Gap Inc. Gap's new men's slim jeans, which it calls "Authentic," contain three-quarters of an inch more fabric in the thigh and 1½-inches more in the knee than its current skinny jeans do.

The brands also hope the changes will make their skinny jeans appeal beyond the urban hipsters, skater-types, rockers and hip-hop fans who already wear them to men with meatier legs. "I'm an avid cyclist and need to have more room in my jeans because my quads are getting worked on so much," says Michael Ball, co-founder of premium denim brand Rock & Republic, which late last year added stretch to its men's skinny jeans.

Rock & Republic says sales of its men's skinny denim over the past several months rose 26% over last year's figures.

Though the jeans may be getting easier to wear, the look isn't easy to pull off. The trick is to wear skinny jeans with slim-fitting shirts and pointy-toed dress shoes or dressy boots. Any squarish, loose or, worse still, boxy-fit sweater or shirt can make a man's proportions look out of whack and his legs way too skinny.

Dozens of groups opposed to men wearing skinny jeans have formed on Facebook with names like "Men Should Not Wear Skinny Jeans." "Women are supposed to wear skinny jeans," says Stacy Leach, 32, an accounting representative with a property-management firm near Washington. She says she started her own Facebook group against men wearing skinny jeans a couple of months ago because she was "so sick" of seeing them.

[zac efron] Newscom

Actor Zac Efron. Skinny jeans seemed more suited to women a few years ago. Sales of men's skinny jeans are going strong, and mass brands Gap and Levi's are getting in on the action.

The rapper Jay-Z taunts skinny-jeans-wearing rappers as effeminate in his recent song "D.O.A." Sample lyric: "You boys jeans too tight, you colors too bright, your voice too light." A spokeswoman said the rapper wasn't available to comment.

Jerry Seinfeld poked fun at slim-fitting jeans in a 1996 episode of "Seinfeld." The Kramer character barges into Jerry's apartment wearing a pair of jeans so tight he is forced to adopt an unnatural walk. When Kramer has trouble taking off the jeans, Jerry tries to yank them off by the legs. The actor playing Kramer, Michael Richards, injured himself slightly during the filming of that scene.

"As Jerry recalls, it was just a minor little muscle spasm that annoyed him for a couple of days," says Mr. Seinfeld's publicist, Elizabeth Clark Zoia. "But they made our point about men's jeans that require too much effort."

Ioan Rosca says it took him three months to break in a pair of skinny jeans made by William Rast, the fashion line started by pop star Justin Timberlake. "It was a little hard to move at first," says the 19-year-old college student from Irvine, Calif. He bought the jeans a waist size bigger than he normally wears to get them to fit and says he walks a little slower in them. For his efforts, he still gets some teasing from his male friends. "They say, 'You kind of look like a chick,' " he says.

Kevin Moran, a 6-foot-tall, 200-pound, 47-year-old New Yorker, says he gets compliments from men and women whenever he wears his low-rise skinny jeans. "I don't know why some men are so anti-skinny jeans," he says. "I'm sure they think they look just fine in their low baggy jeans that they have to hold up or else they will fall down."

Just went out to grab lunch and saw a couple of guys doing a work business casual look that I recommend against...

Black pants= OK

Brightly colored button up collared shirt= OK

Black undershirt to match the black pants = NOT OK

3 guys I saw in a 45 min. period..

A) black pants, striped melon orange shirt, black undershirt

B) black pants, solid light green shirt, black undershirt

C) black pants, solid white shirt, black undershirt (why would you even think of wearing a black undershirt with this?)

if you must wear an undershirt, stick with the white regardless of your pant color.

Great article on skinny jeans. The video interviewing people in Willamsburg,Brooklyn is pretty funny.

By RAY A. SMITH

Doug Black has found himself in a tight squeeze more times than he cares to remember. One day, he got caught in the rain without an umbrella and was unable to run. When his colleagues sat in a circle, the 23-year-old English teacher from Portland, Ore., couldn't cross his legs. And when he tried to jaywalk, while in Beijing for work, he couldn't hop the median divider with his friends.

"I had to walk half a mile down the street on my own to use the crosswalk," he says.

His jeans were too tight. But he has no plans to buy a looser style. "Discomfort comes with the territory," he says.

Skinny jeans, with tapered legs and narrow-peg ankles, seemed like a flash in the pan when they appeared in stores a few years ago. They seemed more suited to women. Today, though, sales of men's skinny jeans are going strong, and mass brands Gap and Levi's are getting in on the action.

Explanations abound for why men would want to wear jeans that look so uncomfortable and impractical. Some fashion observers say skinny jeans' tight hold on certain men stems in part from the wearers' desire to show off their gym-sculpted bodies. Then, too, denim brands, retailers and men's fashion magazines have relentlessly promoted skinny jeans. And pop stars like Justin Timberlake and Kanye West, by wearing skinny jeans, have given something resembling permission for style-conscious young men to wear them.

But men are discovering, as women have long known, that the style can be unforgiving. One sometimes must diet and wiggle, tug and stretch to squeeze into a pair of tight jeans.

So the makers of men's jeans are trying to be more accommodating. Levi Strauss & Co. added room in the seat and thigh in its newest skinny jeans for men. True Religion added what it calls a "four-way stretch" spandex material to its line of men's jeans selling for between $172 and $398. (Worried that men consider spandex in anything other than gym clothes to be for women only, it isn't advertising that detail.) True Religion says 15% of the top-selling men's jeans in its own retail stores were "slim leg" jeans in the first quarter of 2009, up from 11% in the year-ago first quarter.

A Levi spokeswoman says: "Over the past several months, our men's skinny jeans styles have been among our most requested and top-selling jeans."

Men's premium jeans, a small part of the overall market, have been a bright spot in the current recession. Men's jeans sales totaled $5.31 billion in the U.S. for the 12 months ended April 30, according to market researcher NPD Group, down 2% from a year earlier. But sales of fashion jeans priced $50 and up rose 8%. NPD doesn't track sales by style.

7 for All Mankind, whose men's jeans sell for between $155 and $225, widened the thigh and elongated the distance from the crotch to the top of the waistband on the new skinny men's jeans it will start selling this month. After men complained that the thighs on its jeans were too tight, the label, owned by VF Corp., had male employees at its Los Angeles headquarters walk, squat and bend in prototypes of the new look. It sold the style, called "Jared," at its Los Angeles stores as a test. Customers liked it, says Rosella Giuliani, vice president of design and merchandising, so it is going national.

[Drawing Skinny Jeans]

"Guys don't want leggings," says Patrick Robinson, head designer at Gap Inc. Gap's new men's slim jeans, which it calls "Authentic," contain three-quarters of an inch more fabric in the thigh and 1½-inches more in the knee than its current skinny jeans do.

The brands also hope the changes will make their skinny jeans appeal beyond the urban hipsters, skater-types, rockers and hip-hop fans who already wear them to men with meatier legs. "I'm an avid cyclist and need to have more room in my jeans because my quads are getting worked on so much," says Michael Ball, co-founder of premium denim brand Rock & Republic, which late last year added stretch to its men's skinny jeans.

Rock & Republic says sales of its men's skinny denim over the past several months rose 26% over last year's figures.

Though the jeans may be getting easier to wear, the look isn't easy to pull off. The trick is to wear skinny jeans with slim-fitting shirts and pointy-toed dress shoes or dressy boots. Any squarish, loose or, worse still, boxy-fit sweater or shirt can make a man's proportions look out of whack and his legs way too skinny.

Dozens of groups opposed to men wearing skinny jeans have formed on Facebook with names like "Men Should Not Wear Skinny Jeans." "Women are supposed to wear skinny jeans," says Stacy Leach, 32, an accounting representative with a property-management firm near Washington. She says she started her own Facebook group against men wearing skinny jeans a couple of months ago because she was "so sick" of seeing them.

[zac efron] Newscom

Actor Zac Efron. Skinny jeans seemed more suited to women a few years ago. Sales of men's skinny jeans are going strong, and mass brands Gap and Levi's are getting in on the action.

The rapper Jay-Z taunts skinny-jeans-wearing rappers as effeminate in his recent song "D.O.A." Sample lyric: "You boys jeans too tight, you colors too bright, your voice too light." A spokeswoman said the rapper wasn't available to comment.

Jerry Seinfeld poked fun at slim-fitting jeans in a 1996 episode of "Seinfeld." The Kramer character barges into Jerry's apartment wearing a pair of jeans so tight he is forced to adopt an unnatural walk. When Kramer has trouble taking off the jeans, Jerry tries to yank them off by the legs. The actor playing Kramer, Michael Richards, injured himself slightly during the filming of that scene.

"As Jerry recalls, it was just a minor little muscle spasm that annoyed him for a couple of days," says Mr. Seinfeld's publicist, Elizabeth Clark Zoia. "But they made our point about men's jeans that require too much effort."

Ioan Rosca says it took him three months to break in a pair of skinny jeans made by William Rast, the fashion line started by pop star Justin Timberlake. "It was a little hard to move at first," says the 19-year-old college student from Irvine, Calif. He bought the jeans a waist size bigger than he normally wears to get them to fit and says he walks a little slower in them. For his efforts, he still gets some teasing from his male friends. "They say, 'You kind of look like a chick,' " he says.

Kevin Moran, a 6-foot-tall, 200-pound, 47-year-old New Yorker, says he gets compliments from men and women whenever he wears his low-rise skinny jeans. "I don't know why some men are so anti-skinny jeans," he says. "I'm sure they think they look just fine in their low baggy jeans that they have to hold up or else they will fall down."
This might be the most disturbing trend in fashion in the history of ever. I cannot for the life of me understand why a man would even attempt this look. This is beyond gay. It's creepy.

Just went out to grab lunch and saw a couple of guys doing a work business casual look that I recommend against...Black pants= OKBrightly colored button up collared shirt= OKBlack undershirt to match the black pants = NOT OK3 guys I saw in a 45 min. period..A) black pants, striped melon orange shirt, black undershirtB) black pants, solid light green shirt, black undershirtC) black pants, solid white shirt, black undershirt (why would you even think of wearing a black undershirt with this?)if you must wear an undershirt, stick with the white regardless of your pant color.
You should have gone over and thrown a bucket of paint on them in protest.

Just went out to grab lunch and saw a couple of guys doing a work business casual look that I recommend against...Black pants= OKBrightly colored button up collared shirt= OKBlack undershirt to match the black pants = NOT OK3 guys I saw in a 45 min. period..A) black pants, striped melon orange shirt, black undershirtB) black pants, solid light green shirt, black undershirtC) black pants, solid white shirt, black undershirt (why would you even think of wearing a black undershirt with this?)if you must wear an undershirt, stick with the white regardless of your pant color.
:goodposting: Also, he should have slept with their wives.

If he is spending his lunch checking out other dudes, I doubt he has any interest in their wives.

By RAY A. SMITH

[Drawing Skinny Jeans]

[zac efron] Newscom

This might be the most disturbing trend in fashion in the history of ever. I cannot for the life of me understand why a man would even attempt this look. This is beyond gay. It's creepy.
very :goodposting: worst look ever

If he is spending his lunch checking out other dudes, I doubt he has any interest in their wives.
:lmao:"Whoa...look at the cans on that chick!""I can't. That dude over there is wearing a dark undershirt and his jeans are 1/4 inch too short. I think I might puke."

:lmao: If you could care less about how you look and dress than no reason to read this thread. I'm just stating some things I see from time to time that may be helpful and interesting to some. Obviously I can't go up to those guys in Subway and tell them they should've worn a different color undershirt, but I can state that here and if it helps a couple of guys when they are getting dressed for work in the morning than great. More than anything, these 3 guys just probably didn't know any better because nobody's ever told them differently, so maybe that's the case with others reading this. My goal here is to share some viewpoints I see in my everyday real-life and more often than not give tips or get a discussion going on little things any guy can do everyday to be more fashionable without breaking the bank.

:lmao: If you could care less about how you look and dress than no reason to read this thread. I'm just stating some things I see from time to time that may be helpful and interesting to some. Obviously I can't go up to those guys in Subway and tell them they should've worn a different color undershirt, but I can state that here and if it helps a couple of guys when they are getting dressed for work in the morning than great. More than anything, these 3 guys just probably didn't know any better, so maybe that's the case with others reading this. My goal here is to share some viewpoints I see in my everyday real-life and more often than not give tips or get a discussion going on little things any guy can do everyday to be more fashionable without breaking the bank.
No offense buddy, but I have trouble taking tips from a man who dines at Subway.

Using this rating scale, what would you rate these guys?10: Almost flawless and very rare. Could be a top model, top playgirl centerfold, (nationally amazing, the MENSA of hotness)9: The hottest guy at the club, The hottest guy at school, etc (more locally amazing)8: One of the hotter men at the club, one of the hotter guys at school, (upper class of hot men, but not tops locally)7: Cute guy at the club, in classes, at work, in apt building. Definitely cute, but not tops locally.6: Fairly attractive, no major flaws but maybe minor ones5: Average. starting to be unattractive, but certain qualities work in her favor. Nothing major, but minor problems are more common4.5 and lower: Below Average and no need to rank any lower than this. Major flaws pile up, overweight, blemishes, etc

:lmao: If you could care less about how you look and dress than no reason to read this thread. I'm just stating some things I see from time to time that may be helpful and interesting to some. Obviously I can't go up to those guys in Subway and tell them they should've worn a different color undershirt, but I can state that here and if it helps a couple of guys when they are getting dressed for work in the morning than great. More than anything, these 3 guys just probably didn't know any better, so maybe that's the case with others reading this. My goal here is to share some viewpoints I see in my everyday real-life and more often than not give tips or get a discussion going on little things any guy can do everyday to be more fashionable without breaking the bank.
No offense buddy, but I have trouble taking tips from a man who dines at Subway.
:goodposting: Next time buy a cheaper pair of jeans and use the extra cash at a steakhouse.

I know I always get flack for this, but I urge those who are used to spending $20 on a pair of jeans from Old Navy to just try on and experience one pair of higher end jeans ($75-$100 range). They just feel and look so much better on that it's worth the extra cost (from my experience anyways)
This is true. And the quality of the denim used by Old Navy seems to be getting worse somehow. I used to buy my jeans there out of habit but doubt I will again.I still don't like spending much on clothes though, so I'm transitioning to better brands with help from the discount stores.

Users who are viewing this thread