What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Television Draft: The Simpsons is judged the greatest show of all time (2 Viewers)

Anyone not in the draft willing to get a PM from me. I have a question for an outsider
Hit me up.

I will mention that we discussed this category early on in this draft (before picking, I think?). Active athletes don't count, nor do athletes who have never crossed over into the broadcast booth and/or sports-program set -- so no Michael Jordans or Tiger Woods, even though they were on TV all the time.

@timschochet Can you give me what an idea of what sports personality is, or at least what you intended it to be. 

Ill pick after I get an idea of what it is. The range of what has been taken is very big
Howard Cosell
**** Vitale
Jim McKay
John Madden
John Facenda
Bob Uecker
Charles Barkley
John McEnroe
Chris Berman
Dan Patrick
Stephen A Smith
Bob Costas

Two of them kind of stand out to me as not having as strong a foundation for this category as the others ... but the other ten constitute a consistent theme.

I’m traveling for work tomorrow. If I can get a text, great. If not put me on a 15 minute clock. 

Documentary question:

If a doc was originally shown at Sundance, but was never released in theaters and was only released on a tv station (and even awarded by major tv awards organizations), is it still not considered a tv doc?

Howard Cosell
**** Vitale
Jim McKay
John Madden
John Facenda
Bob Uecker
Charles Barkley
John McEnroe
Chris Berman
Dan Patrick
Stephen A Smith
Bob Costas

Two of them kind of stand out to me as not having as strong a foundation for this category as the others ... but the other ten constitute a consistent theme.
Does Bob Uecker count as an athlete?

mphtrilogy said:
Tried picking this in the movie draft, but couldn’t as it was made for TV let’s try here again 

The Up Series - Documentary 

The Up series is a series of documentary filmsproduced by Granada Television for ITV that follows the lives of fourteen British children since 1964, when they were seven years old. The documentary has had nine episodes—one episode every seven years—thus spanning 56 years. All were broadcast on ITV, apart from the sixth episode that was broadcast on BBC One. Individual films and the series as a whole have received numerous accolades;[clarification needed] the fourth episode, 28 Up, was chosen for Roger Ebert's list of the ten greatest films of all time.[2]
You people SUCK.  I can't believe this came up again.  I should make you pick one, but then some weisenheimers are likely to pick each one separately.  You can have 'em all.

Besides, they are all of a piece.

Documentary question:

If a doc was originally shown at Sundance, but was never released in theaters and was only released on a tv station (and even awarded by major tv awards organizations), is it still not considered a tv doc?
I'd have to see which one you are talking about to answer that.  This is oddly arcane.

Also:

DOCUMENTARIES ARE HEREBY NO LONGER ALLOWED IN DRAFTS.

Just don't.

You people SUCK.  I can't believe this came up again.  I should make you pick one, but then some weisenheimers are likely to pick each one separately.  You can have 'em all.

Besides, they are all of a piece.
I am going to change my pick.. didn't think it was going to be an issue

Not sure why it was an issue to begin with. IMO  a precedent was set with something like Planet Earth.   If each of those episodes is a narrative as a whole about life on Earth, not sure how each of these about a specific group of people isn't.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why it was an issue to begin with. IMO  a precedent was set with something like Planet Earth.   If each of those episodes is a narrative as a whole about life on Earth, not sure how each of these about a specific group of people isn't.  
no worries, moving on... 

RD 43- Danny Tanner- TV Dad

"Just remember, when children seem the least loveable, it means they need love the most."

Danny Tanner (Bob Saget) faced the difficult task of raising three young daughters after his wife passed away. Luckily, Uncle Jesse and Uncle Joey were there to help him shepherd DJ, Stephanie, and Michelle through childhood and into adolescence. Other than his obsessive compulsive cleanliness. Mr. Tanner was pretty much the epitome of a perfect TV dad.

@jwb

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to do a search in the thread for those who signed up to be judges and will update the sheet.  I'm assuming we will have a lot of openings so if you are following along and want to be a judge please reply and @ me or Acer.  I'm volunteering you Acer  :)

I'm going to do a search in the thread for those who signed up to be judges and will update the sheet.  I'm assuming we will have a lot of openings so if you are following along and want to be a judge please reply and @ me or Acer.  I'm volunteering you Acer  :)
:lmao:   so that didn't work out well - either the search function is broken or folks used different words than "judge" and "judging" in their posts.

My apologies but I'm not re-reading 66 pages.  If you volunteered to be a judge and still want to can you just re-post it?

I think the Documentary category has gotten more scrutiny than all other categories combined. I just don't see why in a television draft, documentary series that were on television wouldn't be allowed. Just an outsider's observations - not a big deal of course.

:lmao:   so that didn't work out well - either the search function is broken or folks used different words than "judge" and "judging" in their posts.

My apologies but I'm not re-reading 66 pages.  If you volunteered to be a judge and still want to can you just re-post it?
I  am judging Comedy - 1971 to 1990 and Comedy - 1991 to 2020.

I think the Documentary category has gotten more scrutiny than all other categories combined. I just don't see why in a television draft, documentary series that were on television wouldn't be allowed. Just an outsider's observations - not a big deal of course.
There is no issue.

And it's back, thank goodness.

The site bombed out while I was typing.

If anyone wants to be part of a 3-judge panel, let me know I am happy to team up.  I don't want to judge any categories solo though... prefer the dollar cost averaging approach ;)

There were a few others like Wild Kingdom that I didn't understand either.  That's a documentary series.
Still not a documentary anything.  Saying, "This is a lion.  It lives in Africa."  does not make something a documentary.  (I loved Wild Kingdom, by the way.)  Just like a movie that just shows a concert is not a doc.  There's no point of view, context, or anything of the filmmaker in it.  It's just a record.  There's no added content (except for the fun of watching Jim wrestle an alligator.)  It's basically an encyclopedia with moving pictures.

Still not a documentary anything.  Saying, "This is a lion.  It lives in Africa."  does not make something a documentary.  (I loved Wild Kingdom, by the way.)  Just like a movie that just shows a concert is not a doc.  There's no point of view, context, or anything of the filmmaker in it.  It's just a record.  There's no added content (except for the fun of watching Jim wrestle an alligator.)  It's basically an encyclopedia with moving pictures.
Its been awhile since I've seen them.  Can you remind me what the pov, narrative arc, perspective of the filmmaker, etc is for Planet Earth? 

I volunteered to do Sci Fi (Doc Oc dropped out of that one, even though he's still listed)

I'll also do Horror and Detective if nobody else has signed up for them.

Users who are viewing this thread