What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Next 100 best movies from the 80's (2 Viewers)

Pretty good start. A lot more movies carried only on one list than I thought we would have but many are in my top 100, but didn’t make the top 60.

One of the few movies I truly remember being scared of, like didn’t want to go in the basement alone scared. Always felt like that creepy little guy was right behind me

Also gave us the best worst sequel of all time (even though there is 0 connection, or trolls for that matter)

What do you mean "or trolls for that matter"? Isn't Trolls 2 where that awesome "oh my god" clip is from? There are trolls in that.

Not to spoil it, but those are goblins
“Nilbog! It's goblin spelled backwards! This is their kingdom!”

But yes it’s the Oh My God movie.

Here’s a good history on it, basically they knew it was such a turd they branded it a sequel so someone would watch

One of the few movies I truly remember being scared of, like didn’t want to go in the basement alone scared. Always felt like that creepy little guy was right behind me

Also gave us the best worst sequel of all time (even though there is 0 connection, or trolls for that matter)

What do you mean "or trolls for that matter"? Isn't Trolls 2 where that awesome "oh my god" clip is from? There are trolls in that.

Here’s a good history on it, basically they knew it was such a turd they branded it a sequel so someone would watch

Dude those look like the same things from Troll.

Dude those look like the same things from Troll.
But they’re goblins

“Michael Stephenson: One year later, on Christmas morning, I unwrapped a present and it was this VHS copy of Troll 2. Looking at the cover, I was confused. I just remember my mom saying, ‘Turn it over, it’s your movie.’ Sure enough, I turned it over and there was my face screaming on the back of it. We put it in the VCR player and, seconds into it, my dad said, ‘Oh boy, Michael, this is a terrible movie.’”

99. Barfly
shuke - #41

Warning that I am going to have some movies in here that don't scream "80s" but were movies I enjoyed during the decade. There was a point in my life that I thought Mickey Rourke was the coolest cat on Earth. The trailer really doesn't do the movie justice with that cheesy soundtrack playing.
You don't like me? I don't like you. Dats just da natcha of da way tings woiks. One of my favorite movies period... And one my favorites to quote. Beautifully filmed... Weirdly but well acted and a deceptively amazing soundtrack and a still gorgeous Dunaway despite trying to play shabby drunk. But I get tired of thinking of all the things I don't want to do,. Things I don't want to be... Glider pilot, narc, save the whales... all that. Hey Eddie!

I didn't think Barfly would get picked... Thanks for that.
89 (tie) Sid and Nancy
Lambskin - #37

I screwed up and posted out of order. This and BTTF 2 are tied for 89. Dead Calm should be 88 by itself.
Fantastic movie. Oldman in a whole other level. Both of these would be in my top 50.

91 (tie). The Untouchables
shuke - #38

Very surprised to not see this in the other thread or the other lists.
First movie posted so far that made my list (75). I thought we would get some heat for it missing but I guess people just don’t like this movie much. Can’t believe it ended up this low here too. It’s definitely a corny almost comic book version of a gangster film but I find it charming.

96 (tie). Fright Night
Scoresman - #40

I'll let Scoresman comment, but this is one that wasn't in my next but definitely 100.
Hell yeah!. I had this on my list. I know many vampire movies also try to, but this one managed to mix in some sexiness with the laughs and scares. Great creature effects, and I loved the idea of the cheesy horror host. Also Evil Ed rulez!

The 80's were a great decade for horror flicks....hoping to see plenty more on this list
I know this isn't what they are doing here, so I won't keep saying it, but I didn't find that many held up when I was watching them in the last few years. I know Scoresman will throw out a couple gems, and I still had 5-6 on my top 100 that didn't make the overall list like Fright Night that I am sure will show up.

The 80's were a great decade for horror flicks....hoping to see plenty more on this list
I know this isn't what they are doing here, so I won't keep saying it, but I didn't find that many held up when I was watching them in the last few years. I know Scoresman will throw out a couple gems, and I still had 5-6 on my top 100 that didn't make the overall list like Fright Night that I am sure will show up.
I agree that a good chunk of the '80s horror films were from the early part of the decade trying to capitalize on the success of Halloween, but there are a few big ones that have held up and we may see.

89 (tie). Back to the Future 2
Scoresman - #37

Without giving too much away, someone loves him some sequels.

This probably doesn't make my top 100...have probably watched it 3 times.

BTTF Rankings

I might have to agree with you. Instead of watching BTTF for the 1000th time the other night when I posted our #1, I popped in Part 2 and was a bit disappointed. It picks up at the end, but the front part is surprisingly dull, IMO and I get irritated with the characters like Marty's son and Griff.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: JAA
After seeing No Holds Barred and Toxic Avenger, I feel way better about the list KP and I did.
DIfferent approach for sure, but a blast to start off with. But yeah, I am fully comfortable with the list we presented.

These two in particular I can't remember if I even watched. After my post above, I will probably stop looking to see if they are streaming anywhere. Of the 10 or so I looked at 3 were on Tubi and all the others it looks lIke I am getting some embarrassing titles through the library next week. ;)

NIMH, Toxic Avenger, and Troll were on Tubi.

After seeing No Holds Barred and Toxic Avenger, I feel way better about the list KP and I did.
DIfferent approach for sure, but a blast to start off with. But yeah, I am fully comfortable with the list we presented.

These two in particular I can't remember if I even watched. After my post above, I will probably stop looking to see if they are streaming anywhere. Of the 10 or so I looked at 3 were on Tubi and all the others it looks lIke I am getting some embarrassing titles through the library next week. ;)

NIMH, Toxic Avenger, and Troll were on Tubi.
For sure but if they think I’m not going to give them **** about some of these movies, they are sadly mistaken.

100 (tie). Escape from New York
shuke - #42

Just watched this again recently with my son. It didn't really hold up as well as I thought, but yes, as The General just said, Carpenter soundtracks make any movie better.
Agree on the score and Snake Plissken is a great name and has an awesome look. But yeah it hasn’t held up very well. It’s ranking at the back end here makes sense.
The continued charm of Escape From New York is the soundtrack, cheap effects, and great characters.

Donald Pleasance was perfect as The President.

Issac Hayes as The Duke of NY

Romero!!! Brain!! Cabbie!!

Ox Baker as the goon that Snake had to fight in the Garden….classic flick. Yeah it looks dated today….but it is a top 5 Carpenter flick easily.

shuke - #42

Just watched this again recently with my son. It didn't really hold up as well as I thought, but yes, as The General just said, Carpenter soundtracks make any movie better.
Agree on the score and Snake Plissken is a great name and has an awesome look. But yeah it hasn’t held up very well. It’s ranking at the back end here makes sense.
The continued charm of Escape From New York is the soundtrack, cheap effects, and great characters.

Ox Baker as the goon that Snake had to fight in the Garden….classic flick. Yeah it looks dated today….but it is a top 5 Carpenter flick easily.
Could just be a blind spot for me. I struggle with a lot of John Carpenter movies.

shuke - #42

Could just be a blind spot for me. I struggle with a lot of John Carpenter movies.
Definitely an acquired taste.

Users who are viewing this thread