What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Oscars Do-Over: 90-94/ Master Thread (2 Viewers)

Best Picture of 1993

• Jurassic Park

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • Schindler's List

Votes: 71 57.7%
  • Philadelphia

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • The Remains of the Day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Fugitive

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Groundhog Day

Votes: 16 13.0%

• Total voters
I can already tell that I am out of my league in this thread, but...who cares. 

I voted Miller's Crossing for 90. This should come as no surprise to anyone who can see my avatar. The Coen Brothers create pieces that mimic my mind perfectly. 

91,I gotta go with Silence of the Lambs. While it could be argued that The Fisherking also mimics my mind... 🤔... ☹️... I just think Silence is the better pic.

Really nice comments here. 👍
I would like to see a Gilliam re-edit of MC and a Coen Bros re-edit of FK

I've been thinking about these threads and the lack of talking in the one I just fired up.  

If @Ilov80s doesn't mind the piggybacking, I think it's best just to use these as the threads for the year by year discussions.  Part of the griping about him getting the nominees wrong ;) , if he doesn't care the people who wanted to could throw out their top 10 or so lists for those years.  

I've been thinking about these threads and the lack of talking in the one I just fired up.  

If @Ilov80s doesn't mind the piggybacking, I think it's best just to use these as the threads for the year by year discussions.  Part of the griping about him getting the nominees wrong ;) , if he doesn't care the people who wanted to could throw out their top 10 or so lists for those years.  
Any conversation is good conversation. Also I think we will get more votes here than your set-up just because of how much easier it is to vote vs make a list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let’s hear it 
Honestly, I need to give it a fresh watch.  Not a huge Scorsese guy in general, and I know the voiceover drove me crazy (and I think that is tool he uses too much and not in a good way).  

I was thinking about doing a thread of my top 100 90s movies after I did my 00s and 10s ones a couple years ago, but I know Goodfellas wouldn't have been on that list and is one of the movies I assume I would have taken the most heat for not having on the list along with Coen Brothers movies.  

We all know the best film of 1990 was not nominated for an Oscar and anyone who disagrees can cross Graffiti Bridge and take a bite of my purple rock.

Wasn't a big fan of Goodfellas, mostly cuz i dislike the way Scorsese ends movies as much as i love the way he sets em up.
Agree so much with this.   I rewatched The Daparted a few weeks ago and forgot how much I dislike the last 20mins or so.  

@Ilov80s Would the idea be to go through the 90s consecutively -- so, 92/93 next up and so forth?  Wondering in case I want to look ahead for some research.

Honestly, I need to give it a fresh watch.  Not a huge Scorsese guy in general, and I know the voiceover drove me crazy (and I think that is tool he uses too much and not in a good way).  

I was thinking about doing a thread of my top 100 90s movies after I did my 00s and 10s ones a couple years ago, but I know Goodfellas wouldn't have been on that list and is one of the movies I assume I would have taken the most heat for not having on the list along with Coen Brothers movies.  
i'm with you on the Coen's a lilbit, too (why do we disagree so much on other stuff?) Only comedies Raising Arizona & Fargo were thoroughly satisfying watches, altho all had good elements, among their first ten or so films. The Man Who Wasn't There was the first of their dramas i liked all the way thru. They're still hit & miss with me even though i always look fwd to a new one. Buster Scruggs was their best since No Country and close to their best ever.

I went with Miller's Crossing and Boyz N The Hood. 

I thought Miller's Crossing was the gangster film of that era, and Boyz N The Hood viscerally moved me (and others, theaters had upped security because of the showing and gunfire in certain areas where I grew up.)

Oh, is this where I come in to talk about how overrated Goodfellas is?

:scared:
I struggle to make it all the way through pretty much every time I try to watch it. There are the set piece scenes that have become iconic, but overall it just kind of drags for me.

I went with Miller's Crossing and Boyz N The Hood. 

I thought Miller's Crossing was the gangster film of that era, and Boyz N The Hood viscerally moved me (and others, theaters had upped security because of the showing and gunfire in certain areas where I grew up.)
Has anyone ever heard the word "visceral" said out loud? Grrrreat word, but you GOTta sound like Perez Hilton if you say it, right?

ETA: Perez Hilton is soooo 2005 or whatever. Who's the new femfabutasticexpialidocious equivalent? I don't follow close enough

Has anyone ever heard the word "visceral" said out loud? Grrrreat word, but you GOTta sound like Perez Hilton if you say it, right?

ETA: Perez Hilton is soooo 2005 or whatever. Who's the new femfabutasticexpialidocious equivalent? I don't follow close enough
I use it rather regularly.  It can sound pretty guttural. 

The recently deceased William Goldman, perhaps the best screenwriter ever, automatically disqualified narrated films from consideration of quality.

ETA: so he must have HATED his Princess Bride
As an amateur screenwriter, I have learned that upwards of 95% of the time, narration is a crutch used when the screenplay doesn't adequately illicit the necessary sentiments through straightforward sight and sound.  

I think I need to go watch Miller's Crossing, apparently. 

I don't even know what the movie is about nor who's in it. 

I can totally picture Rock in a leather jacket, Dapper Dan in his hair and a Marlboro in his hand dropping the word visceral into a casual conversation. Very Tarantino like.
That's not too, too far off, but I can't even fathom a Marlboro at my age. Oof. So many years of giving myself an increased risk of cancer for absolutely no pleasure towards the end of my smoking days. Did I mention I was no fun anymore?   

And considering the sale shopping I did at the end of the summer season last year, this summer will see me in pastels. Lots of 'em. Don't get sober and shop for clothes. Bad, bad idea.  

*** [/] Dapper Dan update day!***

Today finds me in this shirt: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wirepinkflagcover.jpg

with these jeans: https://www.prpsjeans.com/collections/le-sabre-fit-1/products/le-sabre-rinse-e00p205f

and these shoes: https://img.ssensemedia.com/image/upload/b_white/c_scale,h_820/f_auto,dpr_2.0/191399F120004_1.jpg

dapped with this pomade: Aveda

No leather jacket in seventy degree weather, sadly. 

***Dapper Dan update day! [/end]***

Okay, so there's the most crucial of crucial updates. Listening to Pink Flag and Chairs Missing, but in spirit, this song: Hot Hot Heat

If this is now the general discussion thread in lieu of KP's earlier stuff, I'll play a similar role as I did in those threads and talk about movies most people don't care about.

Took a quick look through 1991 and identified these as notable for me in the foreign, documentary, and/or smaller/indie realms:

In foreign:  Europa Europa was compelling and recommended if you are interested in true-story Holocaust or war stuff.  The Double Life of Veronique isn't quite Dekalog or Three Colors trilogy level for me, but still top-notch Kieślowski.  I feel certain I've recommended Delicatessen in another thread or two, but with the caveat that you must be prepared for some dark, dark comedy.  Raise the Red Lantern was simply stunning and should have won the foreign-language Oscar (which was won by Mediterraneo, which I'm meh on).  I remember loving Toto the Hero but hesitate to strongly recommend since I don't remember specifics of why I loved it, but check it out if you have a chance.  Zentropa was one of Lars von Trier's earliest films; I know he's not for everyone, but this one was more experimental in style rather than experimental in making you hate all of humanity, so in that sense maybe a bit more approachable and appreciable.  Finally, Rhapsody in August is one of the weaker Kurosawas in my opinion, but I'll watch and enjoy any Kurosawa.

I have fewer than usual documentary recommendations; not sure what I was doing that year.  1991 was an "Up" year, in this case 35 Up, and of course that series is one of my favorite cinematic achievements.  Hearts of Darkness and A Brief History of Time are obvious choices, too.  I remember liking The Search for Robert Johnson maybe more because I'm interested in Robert Johnson than for the quality of the film.

Smaller stuff:  This group features four movies from four of my favorite directors.  City of Hope is not one of my top John Sayles movies, but all 1990s John Sayles is great to me.   Night on Earth isn't my favorite Jim Jarmusch but is still terrific.  Slacker isn't my favorite Richard Linklater but is worth watching.  And finally, The Adjuster is not my favorite Atom Egoyan but I enjoyed it; beware of subject matter before you decide to fire it up for family film night.  In the coming-of-age realm, I liked both Dogfight and Flirting at the time but wonder how they've held up.  While we're on early films from later-famous Aussies (as Nicole Kidman in Flirting), Russell Crowe had not yet become unwatchable in Proof.  A few UK releases worthy of viewing:  Naked Lunch (Cronenberg directing the Burroughs novel); Let Him Have It (an incredibly depressing true crime story); and Hear My Song (a charming little comedy).

Finally, not really "small" movies, but I want to give a shout-out to LA Story and Defending Your Life as being worthwhile comedies.  I find both Steve Martin and Albert Brooks hilarious, so YMMV.

As an amateur screenwriter, I have learned that upwards of 95% of the time, narration is a crutch used when the screenplay doesn't adequately illicit the necessary sentiments through straightforward sight and sound.  
As an amateur non-screenwriter, I've been preaching this forever, too.  Thank you!  I'll try not to go off on yet another rant about this.

I think I need to go watch Miller's Crossing, apparently. 

I don't even know what the movie is about nor who's in it

Does no one read my posts?

As an amateur non-screenwriter, I've been preaching this forever, too.  Thank you!  I'll try not to go off on yet another rant about this.

Does no one read my posts?
I meant prior to reading this thread.  Couldn't have told you 1 thing about this movie prior to about 30 minutes ago.

About a decade ago, right after i found my favorite of my cousins' kids rendered incommunicative by her Twilightmania at our fam reunion, i came up with a great take on a vampire TV series. But i couldn't get the premise across in a teleplay without the narration of my "victim" from the perspective of her 2nd life. I hated that device so much that i made it a novel instead. By doing so, i found the way back into the teleplay. By then, however, failure in selling other pilots proved to me that one could no longer sell originals to TV from the outside so i kept it a book and will only look to sell it in order to flip the rights to TV. Like everything else, i'm unlikely to finish it - i add 3-4 chapters every summer, then i get sick of myself.

Don't read anything about it.  Just go watch.

Then watch it a second time to pick up everything you didn't catch the first time.
So I hate reading about movies or series before I watch them.  I rather know nothing.

My wife is the exact opposite and likes to know what it's about and will read about it prior to starting.

I wonder who's in the minority. 

Finally, not really "small" movies, but I want to give a shout-out to LA Story and Defending Your Life as being worthwhile comedies.  I find both Steve Martin and Albert Brooks hilarious, so YMMV.
Just saw LA Story recently. You don't wanna do that - YIKES! Even some of the best comedies don't age..

Mr. Einstein is my alltime mancrush, so watching anything he does is like eating pho on a hangover.

So I hate reading about movies or series before I watch them.  I rather know nothing.

My wife is the exact opposite and likes to know what it's about and will read about it prior to starting.

I wonder who's in the minority. 
I'm firmly in your camp on this.  Just want to know enough to decide whether to see it, but won't read reviews or anything like that before seeing it.

Users who are viewing this thread