What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Oscars Do-Over: 90-94/ Master Thread (1 Viewer)

Best Picture of 1993

• Jurassic Park

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • Schindler's List

Votes: 71 57.7%
  • Philadelphia

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • The Remains of the Day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Fugitive

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Groundhog Day

Votes: 16 13.0%

• Total voters
The general premise here is to redo the Oscars for Best Picture and get it right. The Academy has had some real clunkers (Crash, Driving Miss Daisy, etc.) So with hindsight on our side, let’s get it right. I will serve as the Academy and choose which 6ish movies are nominated. You, the FBGuys and FBGals will vote for your winner.

Now, this is also a veiled vanity project where I really just give my own personal Best Picture award. At the end of each voting period, I will reveal my winner for Best Picture. During the thread, there is room for all you to sway me to your side.

I am aware that the most frequent comment will be “why didn’t you include ____?” and “can I write in____?” I welcome the bashing but once the nominations are announced, it’s final. My nominations will attempt to mimic how the Academy actually works. This won’t be Best Superhero/Bond/Rambo movie. There won’t be any documentaries and very rarely will a foreign or animated film get nominated. Nothing against them, it’s just not how the Oscars go. This is meant as an Oscar do-over and not a total re-imagining of the Oscars. Here is my general guide for nominations:

The Test of Time Rule aka The Tom Jones Rule: I don’t care how wildly popular a movie was when it was released if it just doesn’t hold up at all then it is out.

The Other Test of Time Rule aka The Blade Runner Rule: If a movie wasn’t a commercial success or a major critical darling during its original release but has since become a classic, it is the exact kind of movie I want to nominate.

The Entertainment Factor aka The Cimarron Factor: No matter how successful, popular or even groundbreaking a film was, it has to be entertaining.

The Power of Influence aka The Power of Star Wars: Even if a movie is a bit flawed, it will get major bonus points if it made a lasting impression on the future of films.

Zeitgeist Factor aka The Black Panther Factor: While being timeless is great, it is also important to find movies that capture the spirit of their time.

It will be done in 2-year increments to keep the convo somewhat focused. I am starting with the 90s since it’s a fun decade and one where most of us are likely to have seen most of the movies.
Good thread..do more years in the future.    Was Trump in any movies? 

Russell Crowe had not yet become unwatchable in Proof.  
True story: 

In late 2000 some friends and my wife and I decided to spend the holidays in New York with some old buddies who worked tech on stage shows in the city. So it’s Thanksgiving time-ish (we were there about two weeks) and my wife LOVED that movie Proof.  She had kind of a Hugo Weaving thing. And she saw that there was a Broadway production of Proof starring Mary Louise Parker from Fried Green Tomatoes, one of her other favorite movies of all time (also 1991 - should be discussed here.). So she made me pay some ungodly amount of money to see Mary Louise Parker in “Proof” and practically had to drag me there (I hate stage shows of movies.)

Only it wasn’t some weird stage version of Proof by Jocelyn Moorhouse, it was Proof by David Auburn, the original cast, for which Mary Louise Parker won a Tony Award and the script won the Pulitzer and a Tony for Best Play.  Amazing show.

Unpopular opinion, but The Fisher King is one of my top 3 movies of all time, and I’m not sure what the other 2 are on any given day. 
I would have a hard time not making room for it in my top 5.

I’ve simply never tired of it and that’s saying a lot because I really couldn’t stand Robin Williams. I got his shtick, I understood why it was appreciated and at times adored by the general public, but whether it was acting, being interviewed, doing stand up, didn’t matter what, he just always made me uncomfortable. However, this role was the perfect vehicle for his naturally manic self to just shine. And not only does he shine, those around him do too. Reuhl, Bridges, Plummer, that Mr Noodles guy from Elmo.. All of them are just great. The Casting director knocked it out of the park on this one. 

I’m also of the opinion that the other movies from this 1991 list are pure garbage. 

Last edited by a moderator:
After a quick pass through some lists, 1990 has to be one of the weaker years for movies that I remember running across.

I loved Boyz N The Hood when I was younger but it didn't age well.  I tried watching it the other day and forgot how average it was.  Menace II Society on the other hand still holds up.  

Yep, 92 and 93 are next. Trump was in Home Alone 2 which I am pretty certain won’t get nominated. 
He won a Razzie for some 1980's movie for Worst Supporting Actor.  Don't remember the movie's name, was something I've never seen.

People really bashing Goodfellas here? C'mon. Because it's so iconic at this point? Silence of the Lambs on the other hand, that film doesn't hold up as well as you'd think. Obviously all-time performances from Hopkins and Ted Levine but that movie comes off dated now. The takes into the camera I can't stand. Just watched it last month. Goodfellas? Still electric. Watch that first 20 minutes again. ZIPS like nothing else. Guy shot that movie 30 years ago. They still try to copy those moves and can't touch them. The voiceover is why you don't like that film? Haha. Funny

I am fine with Dances With Wolves for 1990. Great soundtrack, scenery and good story. Goodfellas was very good, but always seems too long to me.

Went with Boyz N The Hood for 1991 over SOTL. Both are very good, but Boyz was a landmark film to me with amazing performances across the board.

If you don't vote Miller's Crossing you can take your flunky and dangle. And then think about whether or not you should start thinking.

If you don't vote T2, well, I swore I would not kill anyone. So watch your kneecaps.

Mr. Mojo said:
I am fine with Dances With Wolves for 1990. Great soundtrack, scenery and good story. Goodfellas was very good, but always seems too long to me.

Went with Boyz N The Hood for 1991 over SOTL. Both are very good, but Boyz was a landmark film to me with amazing performances across the board.
Dances with wolves was a pompous, predictable and pervasive bore, hasn't aged well either.

Anyone have any thoughts on the other awards? Best actor? Actrress? Supporting? Script? Music?
Does a re-release count? 

Doubtful, but if so, I like Fantasia for music. 

Edit: 1990 re-release  

Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by Johann Sebastian Bach.

Nutcracker Suite by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. Selections

The Sorcerer's Apprentice by Paul Dukas. Based on Goethe's 1797 poem "Der Zauberlehrling".

Rite of Spring by Igor Stravinsky.

The Pastoral Symphony by Ludwig van Beethoven.

Dance of the Hours by Amilcare Ponchielli.

Night on Bald Mountain by Modest Mussorgsky and Ave Maria by Franz Schubert.

Does a re-release count? 

Doubtful, but if so, I like Fantasia for music. 

Edit: 1990 re-release  

Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by Johann Sebastian Bach.

Nutcracker Suite by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. Selections

The Sorcerer's Apprentice by Paul Dukas. Based on Goethe's 1797 poem "Der Zauberlehrling".

Rite of Spring by Igor Stravinsky.

The Pastoral Symphony by Ludwig van Beethoven.

Dance of the Hours by Amilcare Ponchielli.

Night on Bald Mountain by Modest Mussorgsky and Ave Maria by Franz Schubert.
I don't think a re-issue would technically count but who cares, that is a Classical Music Greatest Hits. 

My quick thoughts on 90: 

Actor- Depp for Edward Scissor Hands,    Actress: Kathy Bates for Misery,

Supporting Actor: John Turturro for Miller's Crossing (upset over Pesci), Supporting Actress: Lorraine Bracco for Goodfellas

Director: Marty for Goodfellas, Script: Coens for Miller's Crossing  Score: Miller's Crossing

Henry Ford said:
True story: 

In late 2000 some friends and my wife and I decided to spend the holidays in New York with some old buddies who worked tech on stage shows in the city. So it’s Thanksgiving time-ish (we were there about two weeks) and my wife LOVED that movie Proof.  She had kind of a Hugo Weaving thing. And she saw that there was a Broadway production of Proof starring Mary Louise Parker from Fried Green Tomatoes, one of her other favorite movies of all time (also 1991 - should be discussed here.). So she made me pay some ungodly amount of money to see Mary Louise Parker in “Proof” and practically had to drag me there (I hate stage shows of movies.)

Only it wasn’t some weird stage version of Proof by Jocelyn Moorhouse, it was Proof by David Auburn, the original cast, for which Mary Louise Parker won a Tony Award and the script won the Pulitzer and a Tony for Best Play.  Amazing show.
Now that, my man, is serendipity.  

I don't think a re-issue would technically count but who cares, that is a Classical Music Greatest Hits. 
Agreed. Also, would it qualify as an original score? I don't know much about the rules, but it was a copy-and-paste, so to speak. A very nicely selected copy/paste though. 👍

My quick thoughts on 90: 

Supporting Actor: John Turturro for Miller's Crossing (upset over Pesci), Supporting Actress: Lorraine Bracco for Goodfellas

Director: Marty for Goodfellas, Script: Coens for Miller's Crossing  Score: Miller's Crossing
I like the Depp choice. As far as I recall, that performance was the first glimpse of his unique oddness that would appear more often in his later career. After 21 Jump Ship. 

Really like Turturro toooo. ✌️

Already said I love the Coens.

So, A 🙂

Agreed. Also, would it qualify as an original score? I don't know much about the rules, but it was a copy-and-paste, so to speak. A very nicely selected copy/paste though. 👍

I like the Depp choice. As far as I recall, that performance was the first glimpse of his unique oddness that would appear more often in his later career. After 21 Jump Ship. 

Really like Turturro toooo. ✌️

Already said I love the Coens.

So, A 🙂

No I don't think it would really count for anything. Goodfellas has great music too but it's none of it is new for the film. I think they could add a category for sourced music. I think the only music categories are original score and original song. 

No I don't think it would really count for anything. Goodfellas has great music too but it's none of it is new for the film. I think they could add a category for sourced music. I think the only music categories are original score and original song. 
Thnx. 

In the same quasi / non category, 1991 had some sound tracks I liked alot - that don't qualify, but are good to listen to. 

The Doors & The Five Heartbeats are at the top of my head - may be more. 

Alrighty 80's, I am inventing another non-category. 

The Tom Waits 1990-1 Award

Winner: Tom Waits

The Two Jakes - Plainclothes Policeman - Uncredited

At Play in the Fields of the Lord - Wolf 

The Fisher King - Disabled Veteran -Uncredited

Queens Logic - Monte 

Night on Earth - Composer

Might not get much love, but I always liked this guy. 

My quick thoughts on 90: 

I'd like to argue, but I'd be arguing just for the sake of arguing on those.

No votes for Edward Scissorhands in this poll, but I'll give it my Golden Globe for Best Musical or Comedy (throwing it in there based on Johnny Deep getting nominated for musical or comedy).  

ETA: The actual winner of Golden Globe for Musical or Comedy that year:  Green Card. I’ve never even heard of that one, and with 60% at RT and 6.2 at IMDB, that suggests that I’m not missing much.

I'd like to argue, but I'd be arguing just for the sake of arguing on those.

No votes for Edward Scissorhands in this poll, but I'll give it my Golden Globe for Best Musical or Comedy (throwing it in there based on Johnny Deep getting nominated for musical or comedy).  

ETA: The actual winner of Golden Globe for Musical or Comedy that year:  Green Card. I’ve never even heard of that one, and with 60% at RT and 6.2 at IMDB, that suggests that I’m not missing much.
91: 

Actor-  Robin Williams for The Fisher King,    Actress: Jodie Foster for Silence of the Lambs

Supporting Actor: Anthony Hopkins for Silence of the Lambs (he was not a lead in the movie, only was on the screen for 15 minutes), Supporting Actress: ???

Director: John Singleton for Boyz n the Hood        Script: John Singleton for Boyz n the Hood

91: 

Actor-  Robin Williams for The Fisher King,    Actress: Jodie Foster for Silence of the Lambs

Supporting Actor: Anthony Hopkins for Silence of the Lambs (he was not a lead in the movie, only was on the screen for 15 minutes), Supporting Actress: ???

Director: John Singleton for Boyz n the Hood        Script: John Singleton for Boyz n the Hood
The Fisher King is one that I've taken away from this poll that I have to watch.  I like all of the people involved; not sure how I've missed it so far.

I've got to stick with Jack Palance for supporting actor.  If you throw Hopkins in there, okay, Hopkins was better, but I can't take that one away from him.  One of the more memorable Oscar moments ever.  (But, if we're going way back, maybe I give him one for Shane).

Looks like the thread has pretty much run it's course. I will probably do some kind of brief write-up of what I think should have won. 

@Don Quixote I can add new polls to this thread, do you think that is the best bet and then change the thread title? I worry that if we break it into too many different threads it will become too disjointed?

Looks like the thread has pretty much run it's course. I will probably do some kind of brief write-up of what I think should have won. 

@Don Quixote I can add new polls to this thread, do you think that is the best bet and then change the thread title? I worry that if we break it into too many different threads it will become too disjointed?
I'm not sure how new poll questions work on the board when already voted for some of the questions.  Assuming that works, that approach is fine with me.

Where's the Test Forum when you need it?

91: 

Hopkins got to choose, knew what he had and went all-in. The performance doesn't look unprecedented anymore, of course, but it was. Commanding, insidious, terrifying. I'd read the book 3 times b4 the film came out and even then was surprised. At least we've gotten thru 3 pages without anyone saying that Brian Cox was a better Lecter which, next to considering the Tiny Dancer scene in Almost Famous noteworthy, is the most insipid cinema opinion of all time.

Queens Logic - Monte 

Love him as a musician, but not as an actor.

Nipsey said:
People really bashing Goodfellas here? C'mon. Because it's so iconic at this point? Silence of the Lambs on the other hand, that film doesn't hold up as well as you'd think. Obviously all-time performances from Hopkins and Ted Levine but that movie comes off dated now. The takes into the camera I can't stand. Just watched it last month. Goodfellas? Still electric. Watch that first 20 minutes again. ZIPS like nothing else. Guy shot that movie 30 years ago. They still try to copy those moves and can't touch them. The voiceover is why you don't like that film? Haha. Funny
Yeah sometimes this board really disappoints. 

Nipsey said:
Funny how?

The favorites are overwhelming here, both at 65%. I figured they would do well. The bigger surprise is Boyz n the Hood currently with more votes than T2.

The favorites are overwhelming here, both at 65%. I figured they would do well. The bigger surprise is Boyz n the Hood currently with more votes than T2.
Miller's Crossing is the surprise for me. It's good but I didn't expect it to be getting this many votes. 

What’s pretty clear to me is that both of these years are much better than anything we’ve seen in the last 5 (at least)...

Am surprised at the Goodfellas backlash though...

Hopkins got to choose, knew what he had and went all-in. The performance doesn't look unprecedented anymore, of course, but it was. Commanding, insidious, terrifying. I'd read the book 3 times b4 the film came out and even then was surprised. At least we've gotten thru 3 pages without anyone saying that Brian Cox was a better Lecter which, next to considering the Tiny Dancer scene in Almost Famous noteworthy, is the most insipid cinema opinion of all time.
Hold me closer, wikkidpissah

What’s pretty clear to me is that both of these years are much better than anything we’ve seen in the last 5 (at least)...

Am surprised at the Goodfellas backlash though...
I think we will find the 90s were quite a hot spot for “Oscar worthy” movies

Queens Logic - Monte 

Love him as a musician, but not as an actor.
Hmmph! 😤

Well then, Ms. Smarty Pants, who exactly would you give the Tom Waits 1990 - 1 Award to? 

:shrug:

Seriously, I am approaching this like we did your Beatles thread... 

...S'aul Good, man. 👍

Futher, I'll probably be an outlier regardless. 🤓

Hmmph! 😤

Well then, Ms. Smarty Pants, who exactly would you give the Tom Waits 1990 - 1 Award to? 

:shrug:

Seriously, I am approaching this like we did your Beatles thread... 

...S'aul Good, man. 👍

Futher, I'll probably be an outlier regardless. 🤓
Sorry!  I should have explained better.  I'm always happy to see him in a movie because I like him so much.  And he seems generally to be in good movies; it helps that he's in pretty much every Jim Jarmusch film.  But I've never watched one and thought, "Wow, that was a compelling performance by Tom Waits."  I mostly think, "Hey, there's Tom Waits!  I should crank him up on Spotify."  His acting seems to consist mostly of wearing hats and growling.  I do think he's a worthy recipient for your award.   :lol:  

ETA:  Down By Law is my favorite, and he has a particularly large role in it and in my opinion does fine.

Sorry!  I should have explained better.  I'm always happy to see him in a movie because I like him so much.  And he seems generally to be in good movies; it helps that he's in pretty much every Jim Jarmusch film.  But I've never watched one and thought, "Wow, that was a compelling performance by Tom Waits."  I mostly think, "Hey, there's Tom Waits!  I should crank him up on Spotify."  His acting seems to consist mostly of wearing hats and growling.  I do think he's a worthy recipient for your award.   :lol:  
So you agree that the award for Best Tom Waits of nineteen hundred and nineteen hundred and one should go to Tom Waits?  

So you agree that the award for Best Tom Waits of nineteen hundred and nineteen hundred and one should go to Tom Waits?  
Exactly! :doh:

ETA:  Down By Law is my favorite, and he has a particularly large role in it and in my opinion does fine.

Edited 2 minutes ago by krista4
Nah, no need to explain, I'm just MoCS'in ya. 😁

Also, I have been influenced by some of the theories bout ol'Tom. 

Specifically, that "Tom Waits", the persona, is actually a finely honed character in the 1st place. 

Thus, whenever you say, "Hey... Tom Waits...", you have actually already succumbed to his actin chops. 

True? 

Who knows..who cares? 

I just wanna buster ya chops! 😜

Users who are viewing this thread