What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (4 Viewers)

I might even have a shtick for this draft (mainly to keep me from taking the same songs every music draft) - I had thought about doing this theme for the last jukebox draft about half way into it

Eephus said:
Officially IN

Eephus
Rockaction
Buffaloes
krista4
Mrs. Rannous (and possibly Mr.)
Raging weasel
Pitchfork
timscochet
wikkidpissah
landrys hat
Pip's Invitation
ilov80s
simey
KarmaPolice
Binky The Doormat
zamboni
Hov34
PIK95
El Floppo
mphtrilogy

Active in thread but not officially IN yet

@Long Ball Larry @The Dreaded Marco @Aerial Assault

Sheltering-in-place on their Desert Island

@Nigel Tufnel @wazoo11 @Uruk-Hai @Steve Tasker @Abrantes @Charlie Steiner @Chaos Commish @shuke @Yo Mama @otb_lifer @Mr. Ected @rcam @MAC_32 @RedmondLonghorn @Bonzai @Mister CIA
I'll have to pass on this one, but will follow from afar. 

Now that I have that star beside this thread I keep popping in to see if someone explained the rules of this draft, I keep rolling snake eyes, yet I keep coming back in anyway.

Now that I have that star beside this thread I keep popping in to see if someone explained the rules of this draft, I keep rolling snake eyes, yet I keep coming back in anyway.
Go to the OP, MAC.

I'll help. You have a desert island. You have fifty years. Take a song released from each year that you want on the island. Make it under six minutes long. If it was an actual "A" side, you can claim the "B" side for your island, too. 

For example, last time we did a desert island juke box, it was from years '66-'15. Therefore, '66 got a song, '67 got a song. '68 got a song, etc.

This time we pick any fifty years of recorded music history we want and there are some other quirky rules, but I'm going to figure them out when we get there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry.

Apropos of nothing, I find the length almost funny, cause when I picture songs over six minutes long, I think of one word titles. Especially from Tool. Brevity, it seems is lost on the lyrics. Except for the later post rock bands, who can sort of be shoved (or dovetailed) into prog rock, all things considered.  

Sorry.

Apropos of nothing, I find the length almost funny, cause when I picture songs over six minutes long, I think of one word titles. Especially from Tool. Brevity, it seems is lost on the lyrics. Except for the later post rock bands, who can sort of be shoved (or dovetailed) into prog rock, all things considered.  
The “Stonehenge” sequence from This Is Spinal Tap remains the greatest takedown of prog rock ever. 

The “Stonehenge” sequence from This Is Spinal Tap remains the greatest takedown of prog rock ever. 
This is Spinal Tap pulled no punches everywhere and landed a ton.

My favorite little bit of that movie is the beautiful music he composes while lyrically imploring one to lick his love you know what. Kind of an indictment of the audience and lowest common denominators. 

Sorry.

Just from a quick scroll of what would be on my short list and the top of Tool, Metallica, Bruce, Jane's, Zeppelin, Frampton, Mad Season, Counting Crows, Bob Dylan, Outlaws, and Layla! are out. I'm sure there's more too.

This is a traveshamockery!

Just from a quick scroll of what would be on my short list and the top of Tool, Metallica, Bruce, Jane's, Zeppelin, Frampton, Mad Season, Counting Crows, Bob Dylan, Outlaws, and Layla! are out. I'm sure there's more too.

This is a traveshamockery!
Those bands you list certainly have songs under six minutes long. Except for maybe Zeppelin. And Tool, who I don't know enough about. Maybe Frampton, too. Okay, you got me. I really have no idea, but I know Jane's and Metallica definitely have songs under six minutes long. So does Bruce. And Dylan, too. 

Those bands you list certainly have songs under six minutes long. Except for maybe Zeppelin. And Tool, who I don't know enough about. Maybe Frampton, too. Okay, you got me. I really have no idea, but I know Jane's and Metallica definitely have songs under six minutes long. So does Bruce. And Dylan, too. 
'The top' of those artists lists are all over 6 minutes. Song length doesn't make a piece of music great, but the best ones have it. This band of misfits and their anti long song bias. WHAT DID AN EPIC EVER DO TO YOU! SHOW ME ON THE DOLL WHERE IT TOUCHED YOU!

'The top' of those artists lists are all over 6 minutes. Song length doesn't make a piece of music great, but the best ones have it. This band of misfits and their anti long song bias. WHAT DID AN EPIC EVER DO TO YOU! SHOW ME ON THE DOLL WHERE IT TOUCHED YOU!
I can't really, because the Hand Of Commissioner has decreed the spirit of the jukebox, rules loosely followed, but with the understanding most 45s don't clock in at over six minutes.

I think an EPIC draft would be just that. Something for the memory banks.

Three days was the morning/three lovers in three ways
And when she landed/three days she'd stay
Ohhh, I am a proud man anyway
Covered now by three days

We saw shadows of the morning light
Shadows of the evening sun
Till the shadows and the light were one

I can't really, because the Hand Of Commissioner has decreed the spirit of the jukebox, rules loosely followed, but with the understanding most 45s don't clock in at over six minutes.

I think an EPIC draft would be just that. Something for the memory banks.

Three days was the morning/three lovers in three ways
And when she landed/three days she'd stay
Ohhh, I am a proud man anyway
Covered now by three days

We saw shadows of the morning light
Shadows of the evening sun
Till the shadows and the light were one
Erotic Jesus

Lays with his Marys
Loves his Marys
Bits of puzzle
Fitting each other

All now with wings!

My island is still rolling in Fyre Fest residuals, so I was able to afford one of those fancy new juke boxes that might allow for a few songs slightly longer than 6 minutes. 

Are you in?  I'm going to roll for draft order
Yes, I realized this morning that my bosses have extended vacations scheduled through the rest of the month, so July isn't going to be nearly as busy as I thought when you @'d me yesterday. I am also finally starting to get overloaded with new music, so a break from the desert island may be in order.

Draft order process commencing.  Rolling 25 d100 against the following:

Rockaction
Buffaloes
krista4
Mrs. Rannous
Raging weasel
Pitchfork
timscochet
wikkidpissah
landrys hat
Pip's Invitation
ilov80s
simey
KarmaPolice
Binky The Doormat
zamboni
Hov34
PIK95
El Floppo
mphtrilogy
Dr. Octopus
Steve Tasker
Yo Mama
Long Ball Larry
MAC_32
Eephus

1/3

RPG Library Secure Dice generated the following rolls.

25d100, rolled once.

Roll set 1
Die rolls: 81, 27, 67, 43, 15, 31, 64, 34, 27, 6, 14, 18, 37, 65, 27, 58, 51, 24, 13, 66, 21, 10, 60, 89, 53 (Triples!)
Roll subtotal: 1001
Roll total: 1001

2/3

81    Rockaction
67    krista4
66    Dr. Octopus
65    Binky The Doormat
64    timscochet
60    Long Ball Larry
58    Hov34
53    Eephus
51    PIK95
43    Mrs. Rannous
37    KarmaPolice
34    wikkidpissah
31    Pitchfork
27    zamboni - TIE
27    landrys hat - TIE
27    Buffaloes - TIE
24    El Floppo
21    Steve Tasker
18    simey
15    Raging weasel
14    ilov80s
13    mphtrilogy
10    Yo Mama
8    MAC_32
6    Pip's Invitation

3/3

27    zamboni - TIE
27    landrys hat - TIE
27    Buffaloes - TIE
Tiebreaker

RPG Library Secure Dice generated the following rolls.

3d100, rolled once.

Roll set 1
Die rolls: 21, 17, 83
Roll subtotal: 121
Roll total: 121

Buffaloes, zamboni, landrys hat

Users who are viewing this thread