What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Rise and Fall of ESPN (2 Viewers)

Czabe was saying that Witten did not want a 3 man booth so they gave booger the Jetson treatment with his sky cart.  Sound like it is a big eye sore for fans and they complain to booger all the time on the twitters.
Witten should be entitled to exactly zero input.  I hope he gets better but he'd easily be the last man on the Fox totem pole. He MIGHT be better than Jay Feely or Adam Archuleta on the CBS crews, but I doubt it. I've never heard either of them so I have to imagine they are both better than Witt.

I think Booger in that sky cart of whatever it is is pretty dumb, but I like him as a commentator much more than Witten.  Put Booger in the booth and scrap his floating chair, dump Witten, and things should be good.
I agree with this

Witten is still getting his feet wet, but he is not that good so far.  I hate how he chastises every receiver for any pass that is not caught.  CB does a great job at getting his hands in there and knocking the ball away?  No credit to the defense and the receiver should have caught it every single time.  

Is it too much to expect the top of ESPN's homepage to have the World Series score on it? I mean, I know that the game only ended a few hours ago so I guess it's old news, but some of us fell asleep and would like to know who won the freaking game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bidding has closed on the sale of the 22 former-Fox regional sports networks that Disney must divest as part of their acquisition of Fox.   Neither NBC or new Fox have submitted bids, presumably to steer clear of the same regulatory issues that have forced Disney's move.

If the RSNs get sold as a group, the new owner would become a force in sports media.  If they get carved up piecemeal, it could have ramifications on future rights fees that will extend even into markets where there is no Fox RSN today.

Bidding has closed on the sale of the 22 former-Fox regional sports networks that Disney must divest as part of their acquisition of Fox.   Neither NBC or new Fox have submitted bids, presumably to steer clear of the same regulatory issues that have forced Disney's move.

If the RSNs get sold as a group, the new owner would become a force in sports media.  If they get carved up piecemeal, it could have ramifications on future rights fees that will extend even into markets where there is no Fox RSN today.
My bid of 20 bucks was turned down. 

From Sports Business Journal:

For the first time since its launch 25 years ago, ESPN2 will not finish the year as the second-most-viewed sports TV channel.

Even with three weeks left in the TV ratings year, it’s clear that ESPN2 will fall all the way to fourth in both prime time and total day viewership. That puts the network behind both NBCSN and FS1 — both of which posted record high viewership for their channels this year in the time period from Jan. 1-Dec. 2.

ESPN remained the most-watched sports channel by a wide margin — a position that does not seem likely to change any time soon
Frankly, I'm surprised this didn't happen years ago.  ESPN2 never established its own identify, existing instead as an overflow network for ESPN

Jason Witten is uncomfortable to listen to-  like listening to a bad actor recite their lines in the grade school play..  ugh
This post is old but still relevant. Horrible. Robotic. And the hands! Omg I can't with the hands. His arms are always held out in front of him at belly level, like they being held up by some puppet strings.

From Sports Business Journal:

Frankly, I'm surprised this didn't happen years ago.  ESPN2 never established its own identify, existing instead as an overflow network for ESPN
They definitely tried when it first launched, pushing it as the "edgy" younger brother of the big boy. Remember everything being all lower-cased, and all those scratchy, Saved by the Bell style jazzy graphics?

ShamrockPride said:
This post is old but still relevant. Horrible. Robotic. And the hands! Omg I can't with the hands. His arms are always held out in front of him at belly level, like they being held up by some puppet strings.
It is really bad, the commentating team makes me want to shut the sound off. Chemistry is terrible on top of them being terrible in general. Have to think this group is a one and done. 

i am going to start calling one of the people in this thread booger as a nickname the spicy thing is that none of you will know who it is until you see your name with a zesty booger added to it and no one will be able to stop its spread worldwide because if there is one thing swc is known for it is coming up with awesome nicknames that stick forever like randall the touchdown robber cobber or travis the flying burrito kelce take that to the bank brohans 

Friend at work just showed me the clip and we had a great laugh. 

I can excuse him calling them the San Diego Chargers since many still do that, but the Hunter Henry thing was brutal.  Just shows how little he actually knows. 

You have one job: to talk about sports!!!! :lol:   :lol:  

I can excuse him calling them the San Diego Chargers since many still do that, but the Hunter Henry thing was brutal.  Just shows how little he actually knows. 

Lol brutal. 

What about the Derrick Johnson "matchup"...who isn't on an NFL team at the moment.

What about the Derrick Johnson "matchup"...who isn't on an NFL team at the moment.
Yep, that was just as bad. 

Smith is the guy who thinks he can just show up, talk over everyone, and think he is right, but it's clear he does not do his homework or even have an idea of what he is talking about.  To get that much wrong in such a short span demonstrates that quite clearly.  And he is ESPN's shining star! :lmao:  

:lmao:

Guy is the worst. ESPN, lol. 

I can only find the 30 second clips, I want to see the conversation afterwards, what did Teddy say? They took him off the screen, as he was wildly confused (for good reason).

... why did ESPN have to become what it has become?

If they could somehow time-travel early 1990s ESPN to the current day -- same anchors, same shows, everything -- would today's viewers just not watch? Are they quite certain of that?

... why did ESPN have to become what it has become?

If they could somehow time-travel early 1990s ESPN to the current day -- same anchors, same shows, everything -- would today's viewers just not watch? Are they quite certain of that?
Are you being serious? What business didn’t make a change for 25 years and stayed competitive? 

Ps Stephen Smith sucks 

Are you being serious? What business didn’t make a change for 25 years and stayed competitive? 

Ps Stephen Smith sucks 
I've thought it for a long time.

If I had the guts, talent, and know how, I'd create an old school sports show / channel that focuses on  sports and leaves all the political crap out.

I truly think there's a huge market for this, done reasonably competently.

Yep, that was just as bad. 

Smith is the guy who thinks he can just show up, talk over everyone, and think he is right, but it's clear he does not do his homework or even have an idea of what he is talking about.  To get that much wrong in such a short span demonstrates that quite clearly.  And he is ESPN's shining star! :lmao:  
I'm not sure it's even possible to recover from that. If it was just one guy, he could make an excuse that he just misspoke and meant someone else. But screwing up multiple times with guys that aren't even playing this year at positions where nobody comparable is playing well leaves no room for doubt. He absolutely meant to say what he said and had no clue what he was talking about.

Just curious, does anyone here actually watch ESPN?  Is there a relevant political topic they are covering right now, if so what is it?  The kneeling thing ended what? 2 years ago?  I forget the last time I heard about it.  What are these voluminous political topics that get this offensive amount of airtime?

Is it the metoo stuff? Baylor rapey stuff?  I'm curious.

Just curious, does anyone here actually watch ESPN?  Is there a relevant political topic they are covering right now, if so what is it?  The kneeling thing ended what? 2 years ago?  I forget the last time I heard about it.  What are these voluminous political topics that get this offensive amount of airtime?

Is it the metoo stuff? Baylor rapey stuff?  I'm curious.
Just old white guys complaining

I've thought it for a long time.

If I had the guts, talent, and know how, I'd create an old school sports show / channel that focuses on  sports and leaves all the political crap out.

I truly think there's a huge market for this, done reasonably competently.
It would fail miserably, especially if you're trying to compare it to the SC of a couple decades ago. 

As long as we all have phones that can not only get scores and news as quickly as we desire, but we can see highlights of something that happened last night/three hours ago/three minutes ago, those shows will never be massive draws again.

I'm not sure it's even possible to recover from that. If it was just one guy, he could make an excuse that he just misspoke and meant someone else. But screwing up multiple times with guys that aren't even playing this year at positions where nobody comparable is playing well leaves no room for doubt. He absolutely meant to say what he said and had no clue what he was talking about.
All true, but the news cycle moves so fast with everything nowadays that it will be forgotten by most sooner rather than later, and I think it is a safe assumption that anyone who actually watches Stephen A. Smith on a regular basis on purpose is fairly clueless anyway, so he's right up their alley.

There was in 2004. Except back then Conservative Guy™ wasn't whining about ESPN being too political for hiring Rush.
:lmao:

You got a list of posters from 2004 and comparing it to this thread.  You really are a Squistion alias aren't you?  I didn't believe it the first time I heard that one but this might prove it.
Oh look, the guy who stalks squisition is accusing other posters of being squisition.

Oh look, the guy who stalks squisition is accusing other posters of being squisition.
Nah, there are others that are convinced you two are the same poster.  I wasn't until the 2004 notebook came out.
I will say this about your sad cyberstalking of squistion: it has had an added side benefit of distracting the two of you (as well as many of your buddies), keeping you both relatively contained in the Kaepernick thread(s). Which makes the PF much more enjoyable for the rest of us. So, thanks for that. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread