What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Rise and Fall of ESPN (1 Viewer)

I think all of us can agree that the espys are terrible

A rare kumbaya moment for the thread
I saw it on my YoutubeTV scroll a few times and just laughed, never thought for a second to watch that nonsense.

Who in their right mind wants to sit down and see even more fawning over a bunch of full-of-themself jocks?  They already get plenty of accolades.  Actually they themselves probably eat it up.  Award shows are nauseating.

I would rather see an award show for something like America's Worst Intern.

Ignoring the political statement in this tweet, I found the numbers interesting:

https://twitter.com/NotKennyRogers/status/1414651296926236672
Kinda interesting but not really indicative, ratings for everything are down due to all the more options people have since then. I mean, I've seen some shows get cancelled for having "awful" ratings that, two years later, would have meant they were the #1 show on TV. Overall, all the TV numbers are down.

Ignoring the political statement in this tweet, I found the numbers interesting:

https://twitter.com/NotKennyRogers/status/1414651296926236672
1.1 million for a show they don’t have to pay rights to and costs nothing to make is a staggering payday for them. It’s not surprising that a guy mentioning woke in his tweet doesn’t understand how television has changed in the past 7 years. Probably still thinks Netflix only sends dvds. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I still catch myself flipping to Sportscenter looking for extended highlights like it’s 1995 or something. Too much talking head stuff now. I do watch chunks of SVPs Sportscenter occasionally because I like him and they hit on gambling and stuff but even that is hit and miss. As others have said, still worth it for live sports, 30 for 30, etc. I also still like PTI but it’s going downhill too. 

the bootlicking cucks defending this clownshow of a network is pure comedy gold   :lol:
I didn't think that real people used the word "cuck"; figured it was some sort of redneck urban legend and yet here it is... unironically. Seems like a good way to get people to lose respect for you, if you had any to begin with.

I didn't think that real people used the word "cuck"; figured it was some sort of redneck urban legend and yet here it is... unironically. Seems like a good way to get people to lose respect for you, if you had any to begin with.
I think I can explain the origins of the word but it will definitely get me a timeout. And I'm not sure if he meant it in that way.

I think I am just getting old.  I can't stand to watch ESPN anymore with the "screaming sports takes!"    I just listen to Dan Patrick on the radio.  It sucks when Dan is on vacation and they have some other people fill in.    During the fill in periods I listen to local news all week.     I don't understand how anyone can listen to Stephen A and other people like him.     GL

Isn't it realistic to expect ESPN to be more or less the final surviving cable entity?  Everything else including network TV is going streaming.  They have the single only compelling reason to turn into an actual TV at an actual timeslot that still exists.  

Any other network that has tried to make it work on pay cable has failed.  

Maybe just putting out hot garbage takes is what makes them pocket change and that's all they need.

I mean this is a network that somehow has decided a 3rd tier sports program needs it's own complete channel.  For a decade.  It's not like they have to be perfect on programming decisions.

I think I am just getting old.  I can't stand to watch ESPN anymore with the "screaming sports takes!"    I just listen to Dan Patrick on the radio.  It sucks when Dan is on vacation and they have some other people fill in.    During the fill in periods I listen to local news all week.     I don't understand how anyone can listen to Stephen A and other people like him.     GL
I'm right there with you.  The yelling is intolerable.  

I was watching a Skip/Shannon segment last week about Space Jam, and I had to keep my phone volume at about 15-20% because Shannon was literally screaming the entire segment. Then I'd have to boost the volume when Skip started speaking, so I had to go up and then down a bunch of times. Absolutely stupid.

I was watching a Skip/Shannon segment last week about Space Jam, and I had to keep my phone volume at about 15-20% because Shannon was literally screaming the entire segment. Then I'd have to boost the volume when Skip started speaking, so I had to go up and then down a bunch of times. Absolutely stupid.
Mute button would have worked better

Oh, and to show what a clown the face of ESPN is now, that being Stephen A Smith, go watch any clip from yesterday where he talks about Giannis.  I watched various media clips last night to see what was being said about the Bucks winning the title, and Smith almost looked like it pained him to say anything good about Giannis.  Dude puts on one of the greatest performances in basketball history, and Smith's reaction is, "yeah, he was sensational, we all realize that, but let me talk about something else now for 10 minutes."  What a clown.  I think it's obvious that Smith is buddies with a lot of NBA players, and if you are not one of those guys, his praise for you will never be overly stated.  I am sure if his buddy Chris Paul had won the title, Screaming A would be yelling from the rooftops about it. 

lol, completely agree. i have some ESPN clips on youtube on from time to time, and it is like everyone is always screaming. I noticed the other day this is spreading into other things, and would love if we don't turn a TV on to have someone screaming at us

What a mess the Seattle NHL expansion draft was last night. You could tell none of the idiot hosts knew anything about hockey and they kept on pulling up old Seattle NBA and NFL players to announce the selections...like Shawn Kemp trying to pronounce Joonas Donskoi

Marshawn Lynch didnt even try
Not to be an espn mark bc I really don’t care about any of their tv shows (I think their game presentations are excellent however) but the expansion draft was wholly produced and put together by the NHL. I agree it was a trainwreck though. 

1.1 million for a show they don’t have to pay rights to and costs nothing to make is a staggering payday for them. It’s not surprising that a guy mentioning woke in his tweet doesn’t understand how television has changed in the past 7 years. Probably still thinks Netflix only sends dvds. 
Going from 7.7 to 1.1 is literally an 85% loss.  There's no way to spin all of that away.

Going from 7.7 to 1.1 is literally an 85% loss.  There's no way to spin all of that away.
There’s over 14M less cable subscribers now than there were for the year in that tweet, not to mention infinite more steaming options for the casual viewer. If you want to ignore all of that and chalk it up to “omg go woke go broke” then have at it. 

Getting the Mannings is a pretty big deal I guess.

Color me skeptical about the MNF Megacast but they have the rights and channel capacity. Somebody will watch it.

There’s over 14M less cable subscribers now than there were for the year in that tweet, not to mention infinite more steaming options for the casual viewer. If you want to ignore all of that and chalk it up to “omg go woke go broke” then have at it. 
jeezus, man ... i hope you're at least on their friggin' payroll 😅

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I was thinking the same thing. 
Just combating the same idiotic woke/broke narrative from the Q crowd with facts. Every single network/cable service is down from where they were 7 years ago. NBC is going to be down millions on the Olympics. Food Network’s corporate owners felt the same hit and started up a steaming service to make it up. It’s across the board. :shrug:  

Remember when NIKE got all woke and backed Kapernick among other woke moves and the same people said that would be the end of them and then everyone stopped buying their shoes and started rocking New Balances instead and now NIKE is barely surviving and definitely not drowning in money? This is gonna be just like that.

Getting the Mannings is a pretty big deal I guess.

Color me skeptical about the MNF Megacast but they have the rights and channel capacity. Somebody will watch it.
A lot of buzz about the Mannings on MNF** among New Orleans locals on Saintsreport, FWIW. Not sure if people in Miami, NYC, Seattle, etc. would be as excited about it.

** I know it's an alternate feed.

Remember when NIKE got all woke and backed Kapernick among other woke moved and the same people said that would be the end of them and then everyone stopped buying their shoes and started rocking New Balances instead and now NIKE is barely surviving and definitely not drowning in money? This is gonna be just like that.
lol 

ESPN just renewed with the nfl and sec for mega billions but the Q board said they’re going under soon for being woke when JFK Jr comes back to lead their network or something. 

Users who are viewing this thread