What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (6 Viewers)

The case law in NY is apparently settled as it relates to federal/state tax stuff.  No double-jeopardy (if I have it right).  Other charges could be problematic, but suspect they'll limit the scope to what they know they can get.

Remember, what they really want is for Manafort to tell the truth about his dealings with Trump and Oleg.  It's not a random vengeance chase.

Manafort was Trump's campaign manager. He was also in on the famous Trump Tower meetings with Russians. Trump would be pardoning a guy who was one of his own partners in crime. He'd be sending a loud and clear message that Cohen is doing full time because he stopped lying for Trump while Manafort will be a free man because he continued to.   I guess it's expecting too much based on what we've seen, but that might not sit well with people who actually would like to get to the truth.
Quick question, who was Cohen lying for in his most recent testimony before Congress?

What is that price?  The GOP is going to turn on him for issuing a pardon for crimes unrelated to Trump or the campaign?  Seriously?

Trump's pardon of Arpaio was far more egregious than pardoning Manafort for these crimes. 
I think the main price of a pardon is that the Democratic candidate will use it, possibly above all other issues, to charge Trump with corruption. I think it could really help Trump lose the election. Which is why I’m betting that if a pardon occurs, it doesn’t happen until after the election is decided one way or the other. 

Natasha Bertrand‏ @NatashaBertrand

Manafort makes a last-ditch appeal: "Your honor, I will be 70 years old in a few weeks. My wife is 66. I am her primary caregiver...this case has taken everything from me already. Please let my wife and I be together."

7:51 AM - 13 Mar 2019

Sure.  LOCK HER UP!

Natasha Bertrand‏ @NatashaBertrand

Manafort makes a last-ditch appeal: "Your honor, I will be 70 years old in a few weeks. My wife is 66. I am her primary caregiver...this case has taken everything from me already. Please let my wife and I be together."

7:51 AM - 13 Mar 2019

Sure.  LOCK HER UP!
I wonder how long his wife knew he was an "unsavory character" and still stayed with him? I mean, his kids knew he had blood on his hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how long his wife knew he was an "unsavory character" and still stayed with him? I mean, his kids knew he had blood on his hands.
Jail has apparently caused him such a decline in health that he seeks sympathy by rolling into the courthouse in a wheelchair, but also seeks sympathy because he is his wife's caregiver.  Not sure how you can be a caregiver while confined to a wheelchair.  Absolutely zero shame.

Short handing the math, it’s another 43 months. So 90 months total (which is 7.5 years). Manafort will get time served and could get up to 15% off for good behavior. So he will serve somewhere between five and six years most likely. 

Thats not insignificant for a septegenarian. 
Yeah, probably 74-75 years old before he gets out.  Might be a life sentence.
He was stealing from a mob boss....... :lmao:

Well - lets see how this plays out.  My prediction is that Trump will still pardon Manafort - sooner rather than later.

Manafort will then find some financial support to mount a legal defense to the NY allegations.  The first thing they will do is attack the indictment on double jeopardy grounds - and I think that could take several years to resolve.  It will have to be argued at the trial court level - and I assume NY has an appellate division, and then the NY Supreme Court, and then the US Supreme Court.  Given that Manafort is likely to be free on bail - this will not be an expedited process.

Only then - if Manafort loses all the way - will he ever stand trial on the state charges.

So, while I do find the indictment, and its timing, to be amusing, I am not sure Manafort will ever face the consequences in a New York prison. 
What’s the double jeopardy issue?  These NY charges are totally separate factually from the DC and EDVA 

ETA: Maneeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Natasha Bertrand‏ @NatashaBertrand 25m25 minutes ago

Wow. Downing (Manafort's attorney) is saying that Judge ABJ found that there was no evidence of Russia collusion. Protesters shout out “LIAR” and “THAT’S NOT WHAT SHE SAID.” (They’re right, it’s not what she said. She said this case had not addressed the collusion question.)
Henry and Co., is there no way Downing couldn't be reported to the bar for professional violations here?

Knowingly making a false statement of material fact or law to others, particularly misrepresenting what a judge stated?
If he had said: 

Judge ABJ did not find evidence of Russia collusion.
Instead of:

Judge ABJ found that there was no evidence of Russia collusion.
It would have been 100% factual.  You're not going to get a lawyer disciplined on that difference in an extemporaneous speech.

Plus, "Judge ABJ found that there was no evidence of Russia collusion presented by the prosecutor in this case" is potentially factual.

Jail has apparently caused him such a decline in health that he seeks sympathy by rolling into the courthouse in a wheelchair, but also seeks sympathy because he is his wife's caregiver.  Not sure how you can be a caregiver while confined to a wheelchair.  Absolutely zero shame.
It is just that mental dilemma that causes him to suffer every minute of every day.

Your honor...has he not suffered enough?

More

Nadler’s takeaways from Whitaker meeting. 1) Unlike in the hearing, Mr Whitaker did not deny that the president called to discuss the Michael Cohen case and the personnel decisions in the Southern district.

Manu Raju‏Verified account @mkraju

FollowFollow @mkraju

More

2) Whitaker was directly involved in conversations on whether to fire at least one US attorney 3) Whitaker involved in discussions about scope of the SDNY attorney Berman’s recusal and whether SDNY went “too far” in pursuing the campaign finance case where Trump was individual 1

1:58 PM - 13 Mar 2019
A lot of obstructifying here.

Interesting.  Sounds like the the OSC isn't going to be bringing any more cases to trial if he's stepping down.
Yeah - I think the idea of more indictments seems unlikely.

Its possible Mueller could indict, and then hand off to DOJ, if these are cases that arose out of his investigation, you would think his team would see them through.

NBC News‏Verified account @NBCNews

FollowingFollowing @NBCNews

More

JUST IN: In 420-0 vote, House passes non-binding resolution that calls for the public release of the Mueller report.
It would have been more meaningful to pass a law that required Mueller's report to be released to the Gang of Eight.

Users who are viewing this thread