What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Ukraine Conflict Thread (1 Viewer)

‘We Just Started Crying’: Call-Up Gains Steam as Russians Receive Draft Papers
This is how WWIII begins and the world possibly ends. :(

Putin’s War, and His Rule, Are In Trouble
This is such a blast to read.
Taking pleasure in this is disturbing. We (the West) have a tendency to label things in black and white, or good vs. evil, terms. I think the truth is more complicated and we would not be so cavalier if the battle were in our own backyard. This situation affects the world's people, economies, food supply and could lead to horrific escalation. I'd prefer diplomacy to bullets and am concerned with this sense of moral superiority. Let's not forget, the US has looked foolish/inept themselves at times in recent military encounters.

God bless the innocent people of Russia and the Ukraine and let's pray this situation somehow deescalates.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/russia-school-shooting-least-6-dead-dozens-injured-gunman-opens-fire

So.... Russia claims they need to de-nazify Ukraine. A guy with swastikas shoots up a school in Russia just as stuff is going HORRIBLE for them... Anyone else think this will be used to validate Russia's position in Ukraine? Odds that it comes out this was a "Ukranian sympathizer" ?
Yep. Russia will say this was a Ukranian operative or citizen. There is no doubt in my mind we will see that headline from the Russian Gubmint shortly.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/russia-school-shooting-least-6-dead-dozens-injured-gunman-opens-fire

So.... Russia claims they need to de-nazify Ukraine. A guy with swastikas shoots up a school in Russia just as stuff is going HORRIBLE for them... Anyone else think this will be used to validate Russia's position in Ukraine? Odds that it comes out this was a "Ukranian sympathizer" ?

Russians are blaming today's school shooting in Izhevsk, Udmurtia on Western intelligence agencies.
Non-stop military rhetoric and dressing children in military uniform, along with waging an illegal war and carrying out mobilisation, do not appear to be a factor for them.

The protests are what an eventual toppling of Putin would look like -- if they started on the periphery and spread across the entire country. Not saying that's what's happening, just that the spark of a fire would look a lot like this.

Not even sure it would be a good thing, TBH. Ideally Putin would get ousted in his sleep rather than by Russia going up in flames. And exactly who other than Putin has the standing to stop the war and take an "L" is an open question too -- someone has to be able to end this eventually, and I'm not sure who that would be.

What I will probably never understand is "No country" was ever going to invade Russia unless it was China. No country in the so called west would ever invade, there is no reason to even if Ukraine was in the EU or NATO. It would never happen.

And if Russia was so concerned about protecting the "Motherland" then join NATO and have total protection.

What I will probably never understand is "No country" was ever going to invade Russia unless it was China. No country in the so called west would ever invade, there is no reason to even if Ukraine was in the EU or NATO. It would never happen.

And if Russia was so concerned about protecting the "Motherland" then join NATO and have total protection.
I think the more likely expansion of the West against the Motherland would come from regions breaking away from Russia and joining NATO or other alliances for self-preservation (like the SW areas of Russia for example). That’s what Putin probably fears more than a military invasion.

I think the more likely expansion of the West against the Motherland would come from regions breaking away from Russia and joining NATO or other alliances for self-preservation (like the SW areas of Russia for example). That’s what Putin probably fears more than a military invasion.
I agree. It's the influence of former citizens and their offspring.

I agree. It's the influence of former citizens and their offspring.

Was watching a show last night and what Putin fears is Ukraine was evolving into a free society, turning into a Euro country that tourists would like to visit, and their population living a good, free life like the rest of Europe.

If that happened, then the people of Russia would want the same and it would disrupt their control and power.

Russia instead of evolving is going back to the Cold War era, going back to being a rogue state like north korea instead of moving forward. Unlike the uneducated population of NK much of the Russian population knows what is happening so it is going to be difficult to control going forward.

Last edited:
If it’s correct that there are holes in two different pipes at 6 km distance from each other on NS1 and NS2 then there is no way this could be an accident or have natural causes. And it can hardly be the work of some amateurs.
Norway, European nations depending on our gas, and NATO, should now clearly state that if Russia does anything to our gas infrastructure, it means grave consequences (Article 5)

European economies hangs in the balance. It's time to make a stand and remove any percieved ambiguity

NordStream 2 did get shut down after Russia invaded Ukraine so it looks like that statement was very accurate. But why would the US blow up NordStream 1? It doesn't really seem in the interest of NATO or the US to shut it down, based on the issues with gas supplies in Europe.

Given the logistics involved, one would think it would have to be a state actor. People will point at Russia, but unless it's some Reichstag Fire or 3D chess sort of move, it doesn't really make sense for them to do it. I've seen Germany suggested, but that doesn't make much sense to me either. Ukraine benefits, but that seems like a stretch given their location. Regardless, it's a radical move by somebody, because I would think it would go really badly for whatever nation did it if there was some sort of conclusive proof.

NordStream 2 did get shut down after Russia invaded Ukraine so it looks like that statement was very accurate. But why would the US blow up NordStream 1? It doesn't really seem in the interest of NATO or the US to shut it down, based on the issues with gas supplies in Europe.

doesn’t make sense for the US or Russia. This comment from Biden was stupid

Users who are viewing this thread