What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trent Richardson Thread (1 Viewer)

The Colts bent over the Browns on trade value.

They did it so they can draft a QB next year, having a stud RB with a garbage QB is not going to help the Browns win. BAD value by the Browns, but the logic is sound.
So you think they should have gotten more than a 1st-round pick?
Just saying Richardson is more valuable than say the 25th pick. I see the Browns logic since they want to draft a franchise QB.

RBs are commodities in today's NFL. A team with so many holes, like Cleveland, doesn't really gain anything by having a stud or perceived stud at RB. They need help at so many positions. Richardson was a luxury they didn't need.
T-Rich is a heck of a RB, but I agree it was a bad pick for Cleveland's franchise.

Supposedly Browns front office being bombarded with angry calls from season ticket holders. Gonna be a long season. Fans don't give a rip about 2014 when 2013 just started.

They did it so they can draft a QB next year, having a stud RB with a garbage QB is not going to help the Browns win. BAD value by the Browns, but the logic is sound.
Just saying Richardson is more valuable than say the 25th pick. I see the Browns logic since they want to draft a franchise QB.
You forgot to log back in as Chachi. :)

I posted a few pages back about (former GM) Pat Kirwan being shocked about the Brownies pulling a 1st-rounder for him. He assumed they would get a 3rd which could become a 2nd with performance incentives. The RB market just isn't what it used to be.

690 user(s) are reading this topic

Was this a record?
Posted Today, 07:31 PM

715 user(s) are reading this topic283 members, 416 guests, 14 anonymous users

:jawdrop:

nope, guess not
Not even close. The board almost exploded when Moss was traded to the Patriots.

And of course when Hernandez killed a bunch of people.
Don't forget the furor over Faulk's ball cancer.
:lol:

You forgot to log back in as Chachi. :)

I posted a few pages back about (former GM) Pat Kirwan being shocked about the Brownies pulling a 1st-rounder for him. He assumed they would get a 3rd which could become a 2nd with performance incentives. The RB market just isn't what it used to be.
The actual value is fine. It's the fact that they are doing it now that isn't fine.

Crazy. So much for the NFL's mantra about parity and competitive balance.

First Indy tanking in 2011, now this.

Supposedly Browns front office being bombarded with angry calls from season ticket holders. Gonna be a long season. Fans don't give a rip about 2014 when 2013 just started.
Standard response;Concerned and valued fans, all of us at the Cleveland Browns football organization understand your disappointment over the recent trade of an extremely talented player. You're opinion is important to us but we ask that you understand the discussion was a difficult one to make but one the organization as a whole felt was vital to our future success. It is imperative we maintain pace with the suck-i-tude of Pittsburgh Steelers.

Regards

Worst trade in history?
I don't see it as that bad for Cleveland -- really it's horrible for their fans though as they appear to be simply giving up.
In the long run it may turn out ok. But it could be an absolute disaster. If they whiff in the draft then what? If Jacksonville gets the first pick, will they trade it to the Browns? Of course not.

Not a good sign for Trent. 2 coaches who know a thing or two about rbs, 2 games into their tenure, cut ties.

Studs don't get traded two games into their second season.
I agree. You see Trent's low YPC and lack of 20+ yard runs and you wonder how much of that is attributable to him vs. being attributable to the rest of the Brown' offense. We'll soon find out.
this screams something is up w/ T-Rich... but this trade is great news for his FF owners

Standard response;Concerned and valued fans, all of us at the Cleveland Browns football organization understand your disappointment over the recent trade of an extremely talented player. You're opinion is important to us but we ask that you understand the discussion was a difficult one to make but one the organization as a whole felt was vital to our future success. It is imperative we maintain pace with the suck-i-tude of Pittsburgh Steelers.

Regards
All those fans get all mad now, but if they end up with the first pick or get Bridgewater some how or some way, they will all rush back to get season tickets.

Worst trade in history?
I don't see it as that bad for Cleveland -- really it's horrible for their fans though as they appear to be simply giving up.
It depends on where the pick ends up. If the Colts miss the playoffs then maybe it's not that bad but it could be #32 if Richardson plays like I think he can.

I believe the Browns would have been better off keeping him and using their 1st on a QB even if it wasn't Bridgewater. It's no guarantee that he'll be a successful NFL QB anyway.

Worst trade in history?
It depends on where the pick ends up. If the Colts miss the playoffs then maybe it's not that bad but it could be #32 if Richardson plays like I think he can.

I believe the Browns would have been better off keeping him and using their 1st on a QB even if it wasn't Bridgewater. It's no guarantee that he'll be a successful NFL QB anyway.
So you think Richardson is the missing piece to win the superbowl? Put down the crack pipe and actually watch their defense.

@RapSheet: Listening to TJ Houshmandzadeh on Total Access: "Browns lost with Trent Richardson, they can lose without him." Tend to agree.

Worst trade in history?

Maybe Cleveland was worried they'd turn around their season and finish with too late a draft pick to grab Bridgewater, so they wanted a second 1st-round choice as insurance.

Worst trade in history?

Maybe Cleveland was worried they'd turn around their season and finish with too late a draft pick to grab Bridgewater, so they wanted a second 1st-round choice as insurance.
I agree with you, they seen what the Redskins paid for RG3. They already have a guy in mind at quarterback, my guess is it is Bridgewater, and they said we are going to do what we can to finish with the number 1 pick and go get our guy, if for some reason we don't end up with the record to get the pick to get our guy we want to make sure we have enough ammo to go get him.

I really hope that T-Rich has a long productive career in Indy. And I feel sorry for the Browns fans. I think that chances are that the Browns front office blows it with these draft picks. That is the key for the Browns. The picks only have value if they use them effectively. Somehow I think they won't, and the Browns will be starting over again in four or five years.

Trade TRich NOW. Get yourself a good top 5 RB while his value is the highest. Come November when Bradshaw is starting, don't say I didn't tell you so.

Off the top of my head I can't think of many running back trades were the team getting the running back has got the better end of the deal. Marshall Faulk deal might be the one notable exception.

Off the top of my head I can't think of many running back trades were the team getting the running back has got the better end of the deal. Marshall Faulk deal might be the one notable exception.
The Seattle deal for Marshawn Lynch seems to be working out well for them. They gave up a 4th rounder and a conditional.

Worst trade in history?

So you think Richardson is the missing piece to win the superbowl? Put down the crack pipe and actually watch their defense.
Their defense is middle of the road - same as it was when they went 13-3 in 1999.

Trade TRich NOW. Get yourself a good top 5 RB while his value is the highest. Come November when Bradshaw is starting, don't say I didn't tell you so.
only way this happens is injury... you dont give upa first round pick and then not see the field pretty much the entire game

I think the fantasy football winner here are those not involved with Bradshaw and TRich. I think it hurts both

Last edited by a moderator:
The Seattle deal for Marshawn Lynch seems to be working out well for them. They gave up a 4th rounder and a conditional.
Agree. Forgot about that trade.
And the only reason that happened was because of Lynch's off the field run ins with the law

I think the fantasy football winner here are though not involved with Bradshaw and TRich. I think it hurts both
As a TRich owner I'm ecstatic. TRich was getting pulled on 3rd downs (Oby was seeing 50% of the snaps on a weekly basis). CLE's offense is putrid.

FBG asleep at the wheel here? Looking for fantasy advice and silence....
A lot of them are posting advice on Twitter right now.
I subscribe to FBGs. I don't subscribe to twitter.
they sent out an email
About 30min after the news broke and these guys were added in all leagues.

Thanks for caring more about twitter followers than subscribers, FBG :rolleyes:
Who still plays in leagues without blind blind bidding for waivers?

Major 'wow' @ everyone thinking this is a bad deal for the Browns. RB is in the bottom half of important positions IRL.

For Fantasy, I am not happy as TRich & Bradshaw are my top 2 backs. At first I was pissed to get home & see McGahee had already been scooped up. But then I remembered the Giants worked him out and said "hey what's Bradon Jacobs' #?".

Draft Grades From 2012

http://nfl.si.com/2012/04/29/2012-nfl-draft-grades/

Cleveland Browns: I don’t mind Cleveland going all-in to get Trent Richardson at No. 3. Heck, I don’t even really mind reaching for QB Brandon Weeden at 22. I’m not sure what happened after that, though, as the Browns took OT Mitchell Schwartz when they needed a receiver, then tanked picks on DT John Hughes (87) and WR Travis Benjamin (100). Grade: C-plus

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1163416-2012-nfl-draft-grades-full-draft-results-report-card/page/9

Summary

The selection of Trent Richardson—even trading up to get him—was one of the best of the draft. The selection of Brandon Weeden? Not so much. Especially in Round 1.

Weeden is a good quarterback prospect, but he's 28 years old and will turn 29 in October. He's the oldest player drafted in the first round since the NFL-AFL merger. Cleveland could have sat on him until Round 2. Mitchell Schwartz was a great pick—he's a day-one starter at right tackle—but the John Hughes selection was another major head-scratcher.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/18843965/grades-2012-nfl-draft-round-1

Why, Browns? Yes, he's a good player, but backs don't decide Super Bowls anymore. And you gave up picks?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828cede6/article/afc-north-draft-grades-bengals-deep-class-headlines-division

Cleveland Browns: B
Mike Holmgren and Tom Heckert made rebuilding Cleveland's woeful offense their priority in the draft. The Browns were chided for moving up one spot to select Trent Richardson, but they secured a franchise running back with the skills to act as the driving force of the offense. Brandon Weeden appears to be the quarterback of the future, but it could be a short-term option, considering his advanced age (28).

Best pick: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama (Round 1, 3).
Richardson is a talented workhorse runner with exceptional all-around skills. He immediately becomes the anchor of the Browns' offense and alleviates the pressure on Colt McCoy and/or Weeden to carry the load.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/1/24/3913106/mel-kiper-improves-the-browns-2012-nfl-draft-grade-to-a-b

ESPN's Mel Kiper re-graded the 2012 NFL Draft today (insider article). Immediately after the draft, Kiper gave the Browns a B- for the draft they put together. Cleveland's new grade has them improving slightly to a B. Kiper's explanation is listed below:

Post-draft grade: B-
Summary: The Browns had question marks about value, but they did a really good job of hitting needs. They got the running back they really wanted, but when you take Trent Richardson at No. 3 overall, you're banking on stardom. At his best, Richardson has that upside, but he dealt with injuries all season and, in the short run, you could say others got more value at running back farther down the board.

Brandon Weeden wasn't bad, but there are legitimate questions about whether the new administration wants him to be the 2013 starter. Mitchell Schwartz filled in well at right tackle, and you have to factor in that perhaps the best rookie for the Browns was Josh Gordon, whom they grabbed in the supplemental draft in Round 2.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2012/nfl-draft-grades.cfm

B- BrownsIt's tough to hit Cleveland too hard when they landed Trent Richardson. However, there are questions surrounding the rest of their draft. Forget Brandon Weeden's age, is his talent 1st round worthy? And are there enough playmakers on offense not named Richardson to force teams to not put 8 in the box constantly?

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-04-29/ratings-2012-NFL-draft/54629536/1

Liked it: 12. Cleveland Browns: They paid through the nose to move up one rung to No. 3 for Alabama RB Trent Richardson and rolled the dice on 28-year-old QB Brandon Weeden 19 spots later. But they needed to close the talent gap between themselves and their AFC North foes, each of them playoff teams in 2011. Second-round T Mitchell Schwartz should start on Day 1, and keep an eye on LB Emmanuel Acho, whose brother Sam emerged as a solid player for the Cardinals as a rookie in 2011.

Agree. Forgot about that trade.
And the only reason that happened was because of Lynch's off the field run ins with the law
And they drafted Spiller

I really like Trent, he is a good RB but I dont see him as great or elite. This is probably one of the best situations for him though, Indy had a decent line and a good up and coming offense. Possible playoff team and may make a little noise in the second season. Maybe Cle is thinking of pairing both 1st rounders for a run at Johhny Manziel

I really hope the Browns did this as part of a larger overall plan to get a franchise QB; in one way or another. They haven't had a playoff caliber QB since they rejoined the league.

I hate to see Richardson's low YPC, but I'm willing to give him more time, especially now that he's running with a far better overall offense.

If this move gets the Browns a franchise QB, I'll give them a positive grade on the trade,

For the Colts, it's already a great trade, unless TR busts. I expect success for him though.

Major 'wow' @ everyone thinking this is a bad deal for the Browns. RB is in the bottom half of important positions IRL.

For Fantasy, I am not happy as TRich & Bradshaw are my top 2 backs. At first I was pissed to get home & see McGahee had already been scooped up. But then I remembered the Giants worked him out and said "hey what's Bradon Jacobs' #?".
They have shown they suck at drafting. What good is that pick when you blow it?

Users who are viewing this thread