What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"The Unbearable Male Privilege of Beto O’Rourke" - Thoughts? (2 Viewers)

"Psychedelic Warlord" is Beto O'Rourke.

Edit: the link you quoted is to a short story about running kids over with his car to steal their happiness for himself.
Oh jeezus. 

I will have to check this out. 

I take it he wrote this in college or something?

In a field this crowded, there are going to be negative narratives on all the contenders. It’s also true that while Beto was considerably more progressive than Ted Cruz, he is consistently less progressive than Warren or Sanders. I also think some progressives, including me, while admiring Barack Obama, wish he had been more effective at moving the policy argument.

I think there’s a distrust of charisma campaigns considering where the last charisma campaign led us. 

In a field this crowded, there are going to be negative narratives on all the contenders. It’s also true that while Beto was considerably more progressive than Ted Cruz, he is consistently less progressive than Warren or Sanders. I also think some progressives, including me, while admiring Barack Obama, wish he had been more effective at moving the policy argument.

I think there’s a distrust of charisma campaigns considering where the last charisma campaign led us. 

This, I think, is really the issue. For many in the core of the Dem party, he's too moderate. And as a result, he's going to be the target of "empty suit, privileged white guy" articles. 

I like that he's a moderate and I think once he's out there on the trail, he's going to win over a lot of people. Likability goes a long way in politics. 

Yikes..this might come back to haunt Beto.

A 15-year-old Beto O’Rourke once wrote a "murder fantasy" short story about running over two children with a car, according to a new report that also revealed the now-presidential candidate was a member of a famous hacking group.

The details were uncovered in a Reuters report on the “Cult of the Dead Cow,” a famous group of hackers credited with inventing the term “hacktivism.” Reuters revealed that O'Rourke, who joined the Democratic presidential primary race on Thursday, was a member, while reporting, "there is no indication that O’Rourke ever engaged in the edgiest sorts of hacking activity, such as breaking into computers."

But the report also revealed that teenage Beto, in connection with the group, wrote stories under the name “Psychedelic Warlord” -- writings that remain online.

One piece in particular detailed the narrator's murder spree, as part of his goal seeking "the termination of everything that was free and loving." The piece described the first kill as the murder of two children crossing the street.

It reads: “Then one day, as I was driving home from work, I noticed two children crossing the street. They were happy, happy to be free from their troubles. I knew, however, that this happiness and sense of freedom were much too overwhelming for them.

“This happiness was mine by right. I had earned it in my dreams. As I neared the young ones, I put all my weight on my right foot, keeping the accelerator pedal on the floor until I heard the crashing of the two children on the hood, and then the sharp cry of pain from one of the two. I was so fascinated for a moment, that when after I had stopped my vehicle, I just sat in a daze, sweet visions filling my head.

“My dream was abruptly ended when I heard a loud banging on the front window. It was an old man, who was using his cane to awaken me. He might have been a witness to my act of love. I was not sure, nor did I care. It was simply ecstasy. As I drove home, I envisioned myself committing more of these 'acts of love,' and after a while, I had no trouble carrying them out. The more people I killed, the longer my dreams were. ... I had killed nearly 38 people by the time of my twenty-third birthday, and each one was more fulfilling than the last.”

A 15-year-old Beto O’Rourke once wrote a "murder fantasy" short story about running over two children with a car, according to a new report that also revealed the now-presidential candidate was a member of a famous hacking group.

The details were uncovered in a Reuters report on the “Cult of the Dead Cow,” a famous group of hackers credited with inventing the term “hacktivism.” Reuters revealed that O'Rourke, who joined the Democratic presidential primary race on Thursday, was a member, while reporting, "there is no indication that O’Rourke ever engaged in the edgiest sorts of hacking activity, such as breaking into computers."

But the report also revealed that teenage Beto, in connection with the group, wrote stories under the name “Psychedelic Warlord” -- writings that remain online.

One piece in particular detailed the narrator's murder spree, as part of his goal seeking "the termination of everything that was free and loving." The piece described the first kill as the murder of two children crossing the street.

It reads: “Then one day, as I was driving home from work, I noticed two children crossing the street. They were happy, happy to be free from their troubles. I knew, however, that this happiness and sense of freedom were much too overwhelming for them.

“This happiness was mine by right. I had earned it in my dreams. As I neared the young ones, I put all my weight on my right foot, keeping the accelerator pedal on the floor until I heard the crashing of the two children on the hood, and then the sharp cry of pain from one of the two. I was so fascinated for a moment, that when after I had stopped my vehicle, I just sat in a daze, sweet visions filling my head.

“My dream was abruptly ended when I heard a loud banging on the front window. It was an old man, who was using his cane to awaken me. He might have been a witness to my act of love. I was not sure, nor did I care. It was simply ecstasy. As I drove home, I envisioned myself committing more of these 'acts of love,' and after a while, I had no trouble carrying them out. The more people I killed, the longer my dreams were. ... I had killed nearly 38 people by the time of my twenty-third birthday, and each one was more fulfilling than the last.”
Yeah, that's the short story I linked.  Nice to hear he was 15.

Didn't Sanders write some creepy stuff too?
It was certainly spun as pretty creepy.  It was definitely poorly written.  He wrote an essay about the need for people to discuss and explore the reasons for the pervasive rape fantasies in our culture that just kind of came off sounding like "if we don't role play this stuff, we'll all be sexually unfulfilled." 

You say charisma, I say potato. 

Wait, this was when he was 15 :lol:

Wow.

Matthew Sitman @MatthewSitman

Must be frustrating to be Liz Warren, rolling out policy after policy, and then see Beto make a splash by saying he just, like, needs to be in it, man.

This is the more disturbing part of the story. 

More here.

It almost makes me wonder whether a straight middle aged white male is at all wanted in the democratic party.   Just seems like I am the enemy at times.  
I'm a straight middle-aged white male who's fairly involved at the local level in the Democratic party, and I can assure you that if you're not welcome, it's not because you're a straight middle-aged white male. 

Seriously. They’re dipping into Kavanaugh territory. 
Beto is running against 4 Senators from the Kavanaugh debacle.  I think we can guess where this suddenly unearthed 30 year old story came from.  

This is going to be a ridiculously dirty Democrat primary. Creepy Castro already hitting Bernie on reparations and now this.  First debate not even until June.  :popcorn:

The Song of the Cow

By Psychedelic Warlord

I need a butt-shine, Right now You are holy, Oh, sacred Cow I thirst for you, Provide Milk. Buff my balls, Love the Cow, Good fortune for those that do. Love me, breathe my feet, The Cow has risen. Wax my ###, Scrub my balls. The Cow has risen, Provide Milk. Oh, Milky wonder, sing for us once more, Live your life, everlusting joy. Thrust your hooves up my analytic passage, Enjoy my fruits Provider of Cheese and other wonderful dairy products, We will cleanse your inner intestines. We will bathe in your Pungent Odor, Gather cotton. Count my eyes, Smell my skin, Love the Scarecrow and the Milkman. I live only for eternity, Thirst for the undrinkable. Hold the heat, Praise the dough boy at the pizza shop. Love the Oxen dung!

So yeah, not much defending of Robert Francis going on in here tonight. That shine is coming off quick.
I honesty don’t even know what his platform is.  He’s polished (I know too polished for you) and I wanted him to beat Cruz but I’m not sure he’s the darling some people are claiming.  I guess I want to hear more about the issues from him.

But again, I’m on record that Ham & Cheese on Rye (D) has my vote.

I honesty don’t even know what his platform is.  He’s polished (I know too polished for you) and I wanted him to beat Cruz but I’m not sure he’s the darling some people are claiming.  I guess I want to hear more about the issues from him.

I think everybody does. Problem is he hasn't done a thing. The guy is a facade and has nothing of substance to offer. It's all show.

I shouldn't say he's done nothing. He's got weird locked down.

Celebrating Sunday with modified Rueben's.  Doing it melt style, on rye, with home-simmered corned-beef, and Gruyere. ... and some drunk cabbage maneuvers., and carmelized onions.

Mr Anonymous said:
So yeah, not much defending of Robert Francis going on in here tonight. That shine is coming off quick.
No real need to defend any candidate anymore. Affairs, murder fantasies, DIUs, mean boss; who cares? Rs are in no position to throw dirt, but they will. Trump is no position to belittle and demean anyone, but he will. It's a charade that is boring to keep up with. Morality has been checked at the door. Whoever is that last person standing at the end of the process has my vote. As long as the D's don't elect a narcissistic sociopath crime boss like Don Veto, I really don't care who it is at all.

I agree and I feel the same way.   That's the biggest reason the Democrats have been getting their asses kicked up and down the beltway for 20 years, they turned their back on  the white hetero working man.  I don't really have a home.   But I side more with the left I guess.  I don't really give a crap about two dudes getting married or stuff like that.  I am also pro-gun.  :shrug:

When's the last time anyone from the left said "we are the worker's party."  Somehow they totally let a silver spoon baboon represent working class America.  They've let labor weaken to the point it hasn't been since WW2.   When's the last time anyone talked about workplace safety?  They don't seem particularly concerned.  I'm a lot more concerned about breathing in asbestos in my work place than I am about transgender troops.  Sorry but it just impacts exponentially more people.  The Democrats are far too concerned about being everything for every class of people who feel put upon that they left their base behind.  I feel like they don't really speak to me much at all as a white employed hetero male.  
yeah generally a lot of white men feel like the only thing that matters to the left is....gay rights or women rights or black rights......the "PC" culture 

Beto's resume is pretty thin, but he's getting a bum rap here IMO.  Stacy Abrams's resume is even thinner, for example.  And if she runs no one would bat an eye.

Suspect the other stuff is going to be a problem for him though.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah generally a lot of white men feel like the only thing that matters to the left is....gay rights or women rights or black rights......the "PC" culture 
The problem with this same group of “a lot of white men” is that they view social progress and equality for marginalized groups as a zero-sum game, as if those protections and rights have to come from somewhere (at their expense), right?

Meanwhile, ignoring all of the policies that will positively affect them like better access to healthcare, job training, education, wage standards, etc...

So concerned about the first paragraph and what that says about them that they ignore the second one.

Other people here are obviously better plugged into progressive circles than I am.  I do get the sense that the progressive left has soured very quickly on Beto, and at least some of it (not all, of course) is identity-politics driven. 
Progressive's are not into identity politics but other than that you are correct.  

They loved him against Cruz but he is not progressive.

Whoever is that last person standing at the end of the process has my vote. As long as the D's don't elect a narcissistic sociopath crime boss like Don Veto, I really don't care who it is at all.

This has been my point all along. I think tons of people are just like @ericttspikes here.

For people who've even remotely considered voting Democrat, they're voting for whoever the Democrats nominate.

So then for me, it boils down to who can actually beat President Trump? And that's where it starts mattering if the Democratic nominee can pull votes from people on the fence. 

I know it's the popular opinion to think every single 2016 voter is a MAGA Hat wearing rally attending lunatic. But in my personal experience that's good for MSNBC ratings but wildly inaccurate. 

So then for me, it boils down to who can actually beat President Trump?
It's worth noting that the Democrats have tended to get themselves in trouble when they try to pick nominees based on who is most "electable."  That got them John Kerry in 2004 and Hillary Clinton in 2016, both of whom were well below average.  Granted, this is a trivially small sample size, but it does go to show that it's hard to predict electability.

This has been my point all along. I think tons of people are just like @ericttspikes here.

For people who've even remotely considered voting Democrat, it really doesn't matter who the Democrats nominate.

So then for me, it boils down to who can actually beat President Trump? And that's where it starts mattering if the Democratic nominee can pull votes from people on the fence. 

I know it's the popular opinion to think every single 2016 voter is a MAGA Hat wearing rally attending lunatic. But in my personal experience that's good for MSNBC ratings but wildly inaccurate. 
Progressives and far left are two totally different things.  Progressives care about policies and not so much the person.  Far left is into identity politics.  

MSNBC is a corporate news propaganda station nothing more.  

I will show you a clip of where they say they you vote Trump over Sanders and say how bad Sanders is for the company err country.  Host needs to correct him like a child.

It's worth noting that the Democrats have tended to get themselves in trouble when they try to pick nominees based on who is most "electable."  That got them John Kerry in 2004 and Hillary Clinton in 2016, both of whom were well below average.  Granted, this is a trivially small sample size, but it does go to show that it's hard to predict electability.
Understood.

And I also fully get most people don't agree with me. 

This for me is a pure strategy / game play thing. Which I recognize might not be the best way to look at these things. I can't help it - it's just how I think. 

Far left is into identity politics.  
Wait a second....  I could have sworn that I just read several posters above you state that the Democratic Party no longer represents them since they are “white men.”  Who exactly is playing “identity politics” again?

Wait a second....  I could have sworn that I just read several posters above you state that the Democratic Party no longer represents them since they are “white men.”  Who exactly is playing “identity politics” again?
I know true progressives are not playing identity politics.  Far left and some centrists do.  I can't speak for whoever above is.

I know true progressives are not playing identity politics.  Far left and some centrists do.  I can't speak for whoever above is.
Next to "awesome", "progressive" is the most poorly-used word in the lexicon. During the Reagan era, its use was changed from referencing those who wanted liberty & fairness but not at the cost of prosperity, a la Teddy Roosevelt, to a euphemism offering escape to leftists from the "liberal" label the New Right was using to color all their opponents with a single slap of paint. Unfortunately, now they mean the same thing and i've been seeking a suitable replacement moniker for 25 years without success..

Users who are viewing this thread