What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"The Unbearable Male Privilege of Beto O’Rourke" - Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

If Kamala Harris had written an essay on the subject of daydreaming about running little kids down with her car to kill them and steal their happiness, I have a feeling it would be decent-sized news.
She slept her way to the Senate and the news coming from that has been just about non existent.  :shrug:   But we manage to be outraged about buying kids into college.

Given the predilections of the mainstream press I doubt this would have garnered any more coverage than it has for Beto.

She slept her way to the Senate and the news coming from that has been just about non existent.  :shrug:   But we manage to be outraged about buying kids into college.

Given the predilections of the mainstream press I doubt this would have garnered any more coverage than it has for Beto.
They do with progressives, Harris and Beto's flaws are talked about all the time.  So are Warren's, Bernie’s and Tulsi's.  They do discuss Trump time to time too.  But so much there with him.

Slept her way to the Senate? What’s that all about?

Her first two public service jobs (paid big bucks, too) were gotten as a result of an extramarital affair with Willie Brown.   Even got a BMW out of it.
Meh, she was serving as a deputy district attorney in Alameda County, California, from 1990 to 1998, when she was appointed to those state boards so the deputy DA's job was actually her first public service job and there is no evidence that Brown was responsible for that.

It's a privilege to talk about privilege.

That privilege, at least in the west, is a legacy handed down from the white patriarchy.

If there is a backlash against Beta, (and that remains to be seen), I don’t think his whiteness or sex is the source of it. After all, both Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden are white and male and I doubt in either case you’ll hear anything close to a similar form of criticism. 
Freudian slip?  Intentional?

"Beta" as in "Beta male"?  

"Beta" as in "Female derivative of "Beto""

....or a simple misspelling?

Just wondering if any sarcasm was intentional.

This has been my point all along. I think tons of people are just like @ericttspikes here.

For people who've even remotely considered voting Democrat, they're voting for whoever the Democrats nominate.

So then for me, it boils down to who can actually beat President Trump? And that's where it starts mattering if the Democratic nominee can pull votes from people on the fence. 

I know it's the popular opinion to think every single 2016 voter is a MAGA Hat wearing rally attending lunatic. But in my personal experience that's good for MSNBC ratings but wildly inaccurate. 
@IvanKaramazovalready addressed a few historical examples of democrats nominating the candidate that would attract those on the fence.  There are similar examples for Republicans - Romney, McCain, and Dole for example.   I believe that the evidence is pretty clear that your best bet to win the presidency by "turning out the vote".  Hillary had a significant number of Obama voters staying home (7%) or vote third party (3%) in addition to the 9% she lost to Trump.  I think turning out those 10% plus some of the 50 million net new voters since 2012 that @roadkill1292frequently mentions should be the goal rather than trying to flip the few that are truly on the fence.  I think you do that by running to the "base"  of the party which is nether the center nor the extremes.

@IvanKaramazovalready addressed a few historical examples of democrats nominating the candidate that would attract those on the fence.  There are similar examples for Republicans - Romney, McCain, and Dole for example.   I believe that the evidence is pretty clear that your best bet to win the presidency by "turning out the vote".  Hillary had a significant number of Obama voters staying home (7%) or vote third party (3%) in addition to the 9% she lost to Trump.  I think turning out those 10% plus some of the 50 million net new voters since 2012 that @roadkill1292frequently mentions should be the goal rather than trying to flip the few that are truly on the fence.  I think you do that by running to the "base"  of the party which is nether the center nor the extremes.
Thanks. I understand your point and I don't disagree I'm in the minority here. To me, this is literally one of those things that seems so obvious but I fully understand it's just how I'm seeing it and plenty of smart people don't see it the same as I do. All good. 

Thanks. I understand your point and I don't disagree I'm in the minority here. To me, this is literally one of those things that seems so obvious but I fully understand it's just how I'm seeing it and plenty of smart people don't see it the same as I do. All good. 
I think the obvious answer is that you have to do both. Once you get into a cul de sac where you're a factional candidate, or the lowest common denominator aiming to be people's default choice, you're in big trouble. You need to be both inspirational and not seem too radical. You have to motivate the base and convince fence-sitters.

The good news is that it's not necessarily a binary thing, where there are centrists and extremists and you can only make one group happy. But it's also not the easiest thing to pull off.

I'm sure others will disagree but I'm not feeling too good about the situation white males have put us in.  If Trump's the Republican candidate, I think you are going to see a massive progressive turnout.  Those progressives are going to want to support a progressive candidate - not a moderate white male.  Beto doesn't strike me as a candidate dancing in the middle like Hillary, but he can do nothing about his white male status.  I think it's going to hurt him.

I believe that you have the "conventional wisdom" predominant point of view that elections are won by swaying swing votes in the middle to your side.  Especially with the rather close elections.   I just think that there are more potential voters is the individual party's center than the combined center.  Like it or not despite the unaligned registrations we as a nation are pretty partisan.  And I think that creates two masses of voters, or maybe two overlapping bell curves that shows where the voters and more importantly potential voters reside.  

The thing about Beto is the left already knew about his warts but when he was running against a Republican in Texas especially Cruz and they thought he had an outside chance they let it slide. Now he wants to be President and those warts are a bigger deal. He got a one point bump when he announced. Why is he even running? There is no burning desire for a Beto candidacy. Well except maybe in oil and gas circles. What unique thing does he being other than apparently it's his birthright according to him. Not much and what is unique the left isn't interested in. He's backed off Medicare for All for a buy in option. No one wants to start the negotiation there. We may end up there but if you start there you get less than even that. This guy brings nothing to the table to make him stand out from the crowd in a good way. Bunch of platitudes and nice stories. Been there done that thank you next.

Last edited by a moderator:
NCCommish said:
The thing about Beto is the left already knew about his warts but when he was running against a Republican in Texas especially Cruz and they thought he had an outside chance they let it slide. Now he wants to be President and those warts are a bigger deal. He got a one point bump when he announced. Why is he even running? There is no burning desire for a Beto candidacy. Well except maybe in oil and gas circles. What unique thing does he being other than apparently it's his birthright according to him. Not much and what is unique the left isn't interested in. He's backed off Medicare for All for a buy in option. No one wants to start the negotiation there. We may end up there but if you start there you get less than even that. This guy brings nothing to the table to make him stand out from the crowd in a good way. Bunch of platitudes and nice stories. Been there done that thank you next.
Thanks. I value your opinion on this so it's helpful. And it also shows me how wrong I am. I expected the Democrats to go wild for him. With the obvious difference in race, I thought he brought some of the positives of President Obama. Charismatic and an excellent speaker and seemingly a "good guy". But I agree the response seems to be mostly as you're saying with a yawn. Interesting. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I value your opinion on this so it's helpful. And it also shows me how wrong I am. I expected the Democrats to go wild for him. With the obvious difference in race, I thought he brought some of the positives of President Obama. Charismatic and an excellent speaker and seemingly a "good guy". But I agree the response seems to be mostly as you're saying with a yawn. Interesting. 
I'm not sure it's a yawn, it's just such a saturated field that it's hard to get any traction. His campaign raised more money in its first week than anyone else who's announced, so he certainly has the financial backing. Beto is still feeling his way around. What he gains from being well spoken and enthusiastic, he loses by being inexperienced and without much of a track record.  The thing I like about him is that he hasn't been BS-ing on topics he's not familiar with. He's willing to listen. And learn.  There are platform issues that he probably hasn't even formed an opinion on yet. And that's ok. Trump was pro-choice all of his life until he decided to run as a Republican. Then he became pro life.  Beto isn't my first choice, but I'm glad he entered the race. I'm looking forward to see how he grows as a candidate.

NCCommish said:
Beto might be a candidate who is not from the far left that inspires Democrats and independents.  We saw some evidence of his ability to do this in his Senate run.  Whether he can with the national spotlight brightly shining on him is an open question.  Time will tell.

I'm not sure what you are referring to regarding "oil and gas circles".  The articles about how individuals who happened to work in the industry donated small amounts of money to his Sentate campaign? Beto has been outspoken about the climate change crisis. 

Beto might be a candidate who is not from the far left that inspires Democrats and independents.  We saw some evidence of his ability to do this in his Senate run.  Whether he can with the national spotlight brightly shining on him is an open question.  Time will tell.

I'm not sure what you are referring to regarding "oil and gas circles".  The articles about how individuals who happened to work in the industry donated small amounts of money to his Sentate campaign? Beto has been outspoken about the climate change crisis. 
Last time I looked he was way up there in donations from the oil and gas industry. Now he's from Texas so go figure. But he's also voted many times with the fossil fuel industry and against the Democratic caucus. So it undermines his cred on his rhetoric.

Oh and since it came up here. Individual donors and unique donations are 2 very different things. Unique donations can and usually does mean the same people made several donations. It's a bundling term. There is a reason to use that language and Beto did.

If a Bernie or a Biden win...I could see Beto (more from the Biden side) as the young up and comer getting that experience as VP.  Because I see any Biden or Bernie presidency to be a single term due to age (were either to get elected)

If a Bernie or a Biden win...I could see Beto (more from the Biden side) as the young up and comer getting that experience as VP.  Because I see any Biden or Bernie presidency to be a single term due to age (were either to get elected)
An all-white male ticket? Good luck with that. Thankfully Robert is going to fade away soon enough anyway.

Given that Bernie's leadership in his campaign is so female dominated I don't think he'll be looking for a male VP.

No Biden and Bernie will have a female VP 

An all-white male ticket? Good luck with that. Thankfully Robert is going to fade away soon enough anyway.
If that is the best ticket...yes.  Or is it only ok when the Republicans do it? 

Given that Bernie's leadership in his campaign is so female dominated I don't think he'll be looking for a male VP.
Perhaps not...

My point for both of these is more that is Beto's chance this election.  He isn't going to make up the ground IMO to surge past any of the main favorites for the nomination.

If that is the best ticket...yes.  Or is it only ok when the Republicans do it? 

Perhaps not...

My point for both of these is more that is Beto's chance this election.  He isn't going to make up the ground IMO to surge past any of the main favorites for the nomination.
He should have run for the Senate seat. Polling actually gave him a pretty decent shot. And a lot of people that won't back his presidential run would have backed that.

Maybe Beto can check genealogy and see if he is related to Elizabeth Warren. It may give him some street cred.

She has been in the senate for just over 2 years. Quite an irresponsible insult to throw at someone for an affair they had 25 years ago

She has been in the senate for just over 2 years. Quite an irresponsible insult to throw at someone for an affair they had 25 years ago
We're talking about the woman who thought it was outrageous that Pence won't meet with women alone?  Maybe if Willie's wife was in the room 25 years ago...

She made her bed here.

We're talking about the woman who thought it was outrageous that Pence won't meet with women alone?
That is outrageous though
And just to add to this, even though it has been debated over and over.

This is such an ### backward view of men/women dynamics and just general decency. I am unsure whether it is Pence who thinks that every man wants to #### any woman he happens to be alone with, or whether his wife is so insecure that she thinks her husband wants to. But either way this whole thinking is beyond ridiculous.

In fact, I would argue that anyone who thinks this way needs to spend more time, not less, in the company of the opposite sex so they can evolve their damn thinking into something resembling that of a functioning human being

Users who are viewing this thread