What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

These Drug Commercials are OUT of CONTROL!!! (2 Viewers)

I think it's good that we developed a shot that can cure obesity. That has been a holy grail for public health for as long as I've been alive, and now folks are mad that we succeeded.
You know this already but what happens is the drug plateaus and when people come off it they typically rebound plus more weight
-I don't fault the audience or citizens in this country

@belljr was pretty upset on page 1 and i don't in any way mean to lump him in with a lot of these drug companies. I am aware and fully understand folks that need real medicine.
I felt awful about what he shared that he and his wife endure, my heart genuinely goes out to them, he literally took a little leave of absence form @bostonfred wight loss thread
He understood I needed some space to try and achieve my weight loss goals...(he's not a big MoP fan, and some of you aren't either) all good
From the bottom of my heart I thank him and others that stood down and didn't pile on when I was trying to find my way during the pandemic
I would never want to make him feel alienated because I have strong opinions on a lot of these marketing tools by the drug companies.

Some drugs are necessary and cannot be overcome by simple exercise and diet, I know that.
It's just mean the way these drug companies are given freedom to recruit and plant seeds in peoples' heads about things they really don't need.

And Bell, FYI, my mom had her thyroid removed in her late 30s, never wanted to go back to the doctors and passed away at 46 from numerous cancers that spread all over her body
I felt awful when you posted and I didn't want to come over the top, sometimes you gotta know when to back off and I knew I got under your skin, that's not my goal.
Please forgive me for being short sighted, your POV is ALWAYS welcome in my threads

-We gotta stop attacking each other and I'd rather hear what others have to say even if i can't immediately post back because it will cause friction
I want to keep this thread open and I hope others share some of their experiences.

None of us have all the answers and that's why this place is still great, let's not shut down what is usually a great think tank
We need everyone to be more forward about what's happening.

-Different topic all together but I've had several friends in the hospital with blood clots all directly related to the vaccines and boosters...am I saying vaccines are bad?
Absolutely not, they save many lives but there are side effects and people need to know. All 3 of these guys play tennis with me on a regular basis so it's not about getting exercise

Keep an open mind and don't make it political even when others out there in the media are doing so.
We all are getting older around here and I feel this topic is vital for many so they don't fall prey to the drug companies

I appreciate everyone's input
Cheers!
Maybe we actually need more drug commercials, with more lists of side-effects at the end of them.

I think it's good that we developed a shot that can cure obesity. That has been a holy grail for public health for as long as I've been alive, and now folks are mad that we succeeded.
You know this already but what happens is the drug plateaus and when people come off it they typically rebound plus more weight

@belljr was pretty upset on page 1 and i don't in any way mean to lump him in with a lot of these drug companies. I am aware and fully understand folks that need real medicine.
I felt awful about what he shared that he and his wife endure, my heart genuinely goes out to them, he literally took a little leave of absence form @bostonfred wight loss thread
He understood I needed some space to try and achieve my weight loss goals...(he's not a big MoP fan, and some of you aren't either) all good
From the bottom of my heart I thank him and others that stood down and didn't pile on when I was trying to find my way during the pandemic
I would never want to make him feel alienated because I have strong opinions on a lot of these marketing tools by the drug companies.

Some drugs are necessary and cannot be overcome by simple exercise and diet, I know that.
It's just mean the way these drug companies are given freedom to recruit and plant seeds in peoples' heads about things they really don't need.

And Bell, FYI, my mom had her thyroid removed in her late 30s, never wanted to go back to the doctors and passed away at 46 from numerous cancers that spread all over her body
I felt awful when you posted and I didn't want to come over the top, sometimes you gotta know when to back off and I knew I got under your skin, that's not my goal.
Please forgive me for being short sighted, your POV is ALWAYS welcome in my threads

-We gotta stop attacking each other and I'd rather hear what others have to say even if i can't immediately post back because it will cause friction
I want to keep this thread open and I hope others share some of their experiences.

None of us have all the answers and that's why this place is still great, let's not shut down what is usually a great think tank

-Different topic all together but I've had several friends in the hospital with blood clots all directly related to the vaccines and boosters...am I saying vaccines are bad?
Absolutely not, they save many lives but there are side effects and people need to know. All 3 of these guys play tennis with me on a regular basis so it's not about getting exercise

Keep an open mind and don't make it political even when others out there in the media are doing so.
We all are getting older around here and I feel this topic is vital for many so they don't fall prey to the drug companies

Cheers!
Just so there's no confusion, I'm definitely not intending to attack you personally here or anything. We've got all of the next NFL season to be dicks to one another -- we can take the off-season off from all of that. ;)

I'm just saying that obesity is a massive problem in the US. All of us know this, and we've known it for a very long time. So when I see a drug come along that seems to succeed in helping people lose weight just by taking a monthly shot, that seems borderline miraculous to me. And I get that the first generation of this type of drug might not be the best, but this shows serious promise for fixing a massive public health problem. It's not just another copycat boner pill.

Cheers!
Just so there's no confusion, I'm definitely not intending to attack you personally here or anything. We've got all of the next NFL season to be dicks to one another -- we can take the off-season off from all of that. ;)

I'm just saying that obesity is a massive problem in the US. All of us know this, and we've known it for a very long time. So when I see a drug come along that seems to succeed in helping people lose weight just by taking a monthly shot, that seems borderline miraculous to me. And I get that the first generation of this type of drug might not be the best, but this shows serious promise for fixing a massive public health problem. It's not just another copycat boner pill.
BTW maybe someone could correct me on this, but my wife did a ton of research regarding Ozempic and the actual drug semaglutide. The drug that Ozempic actually is has been around for a LONG time. The branding of "Ozempic" really just revolves around the delivery method they use. I don't think the drug itself is really "first generation". Semaglutide has been used in bodybuilding circles for decades from what I understand.

Cheers!

FTR: I never thought you were attacking me, my bad if you even got a whiff of that, and second even if you did I'd wear it as a badge of honor :lol:

Here is the issue IK, in theory you make sense but the reality is you must come off the drug at some point, you plateau and once you do that, the weight comes right back on and many times it's even more.

-Furthermore...there are a bevy of side effects for over 50% of most folks who take the drug including some really bad intestinal blockage that is going to screw people up worse.

I hate to break the news to some folks but sugar is cocaine in a different form, one that is socially acceptable obviously and most folks don't think they are sugar addicts
It's in EVERYTHING these days...beer/liquor is sugar, I drink a lot but lately I've been cutting way back since NFL season is over and the other 3 major sports bore me to the point I don't watch them on TV which is when I like to drink...same with movies/TV shows, I have to really watch it.

I was probably 220 coming off the Super Bowl, I'm 6-3 and I can hide a lot of it but the other day just cutting a lot of unnecessary alcohol and also Mrs joined OA, overeaters anonymous and suddenly there hasn't been any snacks in the house and the kitchen closes right after dinner...I'm down to 202 already, looking to get back under 190-195, we'll see where this leads.

You don't need Ozempic, you just need to get real about what you consume.
I know will power is not easy but once you make the decision to not diet and decide to make a lifestyle change that you believe in and commit to, big changes can happen.
Again, this is not a cure all for things like cancer and a lot of other diseases people develop

We don't really know what causes cancer yet...but when you all hear what me and the Mrs do at the Univ of Miami Sylvester Cancer Center in the next post, I think some are gonna be shocked.
Big News coming out tomorrow and I've been sworn to secrecy but I think the night before is alright since I've been sitting on it since last week

-I guess I can just do it here...we have a 12 story building about to be opened on the University medical campus close to 95-downtown and we've been trying to raise enough money including naming rights and were just gifted $50,000,000.00 by the CEO of the Citadel, last name Griffin...I've been tracking this guy for a while and he's been quite philanthropic so I simply reached out with the help of the entire fundraising arm and told hm he's missing one thing from his portfolio, he went to school in South Florida and lives around here.

It's going to do a lot of good and I'm proud of what we've accomplished in a short period of time, we just came off the DCC-Dolphins Cycling Challenge which set a new record, I knew he was Phins fan and Mrs was given the duty of babysitting Sebastian the UM mascot which got us super close to many of the Phins including Dan Marino, that was an easy introduction to Griffin and then last week we got the news we wanted.

I don't know exactly what he will name the facility but it's probably going to say Griffin Cancer Center, we'll see what he decides. This should drop in a press release tomorrow.
We are not superheroes, there's a big team of people here and we wanted all the gift officers to share but I will give extra kudos to my wife who tirelessly works on prospects and when I pointed her to this guy, she came thru with more information than I could ever dreamed of...like I said he's been giving money out a lot lately, probably a blind squirrel could have hit this bulls eye but we're happy to have him on board.

I posed a link to this podcast in a weight loss drug thread about a month ago. You are completely on point with this subject. This podcst is really long, but if this is a topic you are passionate about it is definitely worth a listen: The Shocking Truth About The Obesity Crisis, Ozempic, ADHD & Food Industry Lies | Calley Means

I watched it and it made me mad. The short version… the Medical Community, big food corporations, Universities (like Harvard), Politicians, the Media, and Drug Companies are all working together and “rigging institutions of trust”
The truth is, the pharmaceutical industry and the healthcare industry at large… is the largest funder of government, it’s the largest funder of think tanks, it’s the largest funder of academic research, it’s the largest funder of news funding… it’s 50% of news funding. …they’re the largest funder of every single institution. They’re the largest funder of medical groups, they’re the largest funder of civil rights groups. The NAACP. So every group that we hold sacrosanct… Harvard, the NIH… the FDA… is more than 50% directly funded by the pharmaceutical industry. And then food (industry) is not far behind. So you literally have the core institutions that set our culture, that set the guidelines, their bills are paid by pharma.

He talks about Ozempic
The big problem with Ozempic is that literally hand in hand with the Ozempic argument is this idea that obesity is genetic, that obesity is this disease that you can’t really… control. That it’s a thing that you need to manage for the rest of your life. A 6 year old put on Ozempic… the instructions for the drug is that they need to take that injection for the rest of their lives. And you actually get, and have doctors on 60 minutes saying… don’t worry, throw willpower out the window. You can manage this with a drug. The criminal part for our country is that… that kid is going to have a more tortured life. If that kid is ingesting hormone disrupting, toxic, inflammatory food. And not learning how to exercise. Not learning how to eat healthy. They’re going to live a less optimal life. They’re going to live a more depressed life.

He even mentions Jillian Michaels
I was recently speaking to Jillian Michaels... She was recently on, I believe, CNN and was viciously attacked by the anchor for being anti-science for suggesting that Ozempic wasn't the... the real root cause treatment for obesity... they actually attacked her for being anti-science for saying that exercise might be a better root cause intervention. Of course right after that segment was an add for Ozempic. They're individually the 4th largest advertiser for cable news. Novo Nordics sponsors 60 minutes that ran that segment unquestionably saying that obesity is a brain disease, geneitic, and not tied to what we eat or (if we) exercise.

There is a segment where he makes recommendations for what we can do to tackle this problem and around 43:05 he talks about removing these ads from TV.

Also this... EU expands Wegovy, Ozempic probe over suicide risks to include other weight loss, diabetes drugs
Have not seen you in a good while or just haven't been in the same threads as you
Good to see you, glad I found something to make you post in one of my threads, please don't be a stranger, I'll check out your links.

Cheers!
Thanks for the reply MOP... I really appreciate that! For the past several years I've been lurking a lot and very selectively posting here and there. And this particular subject has been one of my biggest interests lately... so thanks for starting the thread.

Cheers to you as well... and good luck with your craft beer store, that sounds awesome!

I hate to break the news to some folks but sugar is cocaine in a different form, one that is socially acceptable obviously and most folks don't think they are sugar addicts
It's in EVERYTHING these days...beer/liquor is sugar, I drink a lot but lately I've been cutting way back since NFL season is over and the other 3 major sports bore me to the point I don't watch them on TV which is when I like to drink...same with movies/TV shows, I have to really watch it.

I was probably 220 coming off the Super Bowl, I'm 6-3 and I can hide a lot of it but the other day just cutting a lot of unnecessary alcohol and also Mrs joined OA, overeaters anonymous and suddenly there hasn't been any snacks in the house and the kitchen closes right after dinner...I'm down to 202 already, looking to get back under 190-195, we'll see where this leads.

The part you write about sugar is what... as I listen to more and more podcasts... is really important. It really is in everything. If you make an effort to cut it out, and start reading food labels, you will be shocked at how much is in, well, everything. As time goes on I feel the carb-insulin model of weight loss is gaining traction over the calorie deficit model. The theory that "a calorie is a calorie" is falling out of favor.

I'm 5-10 and weighed 195 for years. It wasn't until I severely reduced sugar intake, and minimized my carb intake (which turns into sugar if you don't use it for energy)... that I got down to 175. Like you mentioned... my biggest challenge is alcohol. I love craft beer and I love wine too.

The last part... about getting real with yourself... is so true. You have to be honest with yourself, which can be very difficult at times.

The part you write about sugar is what... as I listen to more and more podcasts... is really important. It really is in everything. If you make an effort to cut it out, and start reading food labels, you will be shocked at how much is in, well, everything. As time goes on I feel the carb-insulin model of weight loss is gaining traction over the calorie deficit model. The theory that "a calorie is a calorie" is falling out of favor.

I'm 5-10 and weighed 195 for years. It wasn't until I severely reduced sugar intake, and minimized my carb intake (which turns into sugar if you don't use it for energy)... that I got down to 175. Like you mentioned... my biggest challenge is alcohol. I love craft beer and I love wine too.

The last part... about getting real with yourself... is so true. You have to be honest with yourself, which can be very difficult at times.

Where does sugar in foods like apples or oranges fall into this equation for you? I could cut out all ADDED sugars (or at least, just on very special occasions like a birthday or something) but I'd have trouble giving up apples and oranges for breakfast. Curious if you view all sugars as being equal or if fruit/natural sugars are an exception.

Where does sugar in foods like apples or oranges fall into this equation for you? I could cut out all ADDED sugars (or at least, just on very special occasions like a birthday or something) but I'd have trouble giving up apples and oranges for breakfast. Curious if you view all sugars as being equal or if fruit/natural sugars are an exception.
It sounds wrong... but even sugar in fruit is still sugar and I treat it the same. I rarely eat fruit. When I do, it is fruit low in sugar. In general anything with 'berry' in it. Strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry. I do like berries and cottage cheese.

I don't think oranges are that high in sugar... but I'm pretty sure apples are. And so are bananas. I remember I used to eat an apple and a banana every day. I do use sweetener, I just do my best to stick to stevia, monk fruit, or allulose. I use sweetener in my coffee.

And I have had days where I've eaten 3-4 donuts. And I've had days where I've eaten Ice Cream Cake. Like you said, special occasions. A few times a year. I just do my best to limit it to 1 day and go back to the original plan as soon as possible.

You’d do well to eliminate added sugar and ultra-processed foods, while limiting animal products.

Carbohydrates aren’t the enemy, unhealthy foods are. Of all the things you can eat, fruit is among the healthiest.

The part you write about sugar is what... as I listen to more and more podcasts... is really important. It really is in everything.

Made very little change since moving to France. In fact, I polish off an entire loaf of bread either daily or every 2 days. Lots of cheese. etc. Maybe I eat more veggies now, but it's debatable.
The difference is the quality of the food here. Especially prepackaged things. Yes, you can find sugar quite easily... But it's legitimately day and night as to what is put in foods here compared to back home, especially in regards to the amount of sugars and salts... and then preservatives

ESPECIALLY in the bread.

We try to cook as much as possible here, from ingredients directly from the market, the butcher shop, the fromagerie etc...

Dropped 30pnds, maybe even more here.

Part of it's the outrage culture that has developed on social media. And part of it is the inability of the public to properly weigh risks vs. benefits -- the format these commercials are required to be in doesn't help with that at all. We saw this in the COVID vaccine debates as well. And that's about as much as I can say before getting us into territory that Joe doesn't want us to go in.

It sounds wrong... but even sugar in fruit is still sugar and I treat it the same. I rarely eat fruit. When I do, it is fruit low in sugar. In general anything with 'berry' in it. Strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry. I do like berries and cottage cheese.

I don't think oranges are that high in sugar... but I'm pretty sure apples are. And so are bananas. I remember I used to eat an apple and a banana every day. I do use sweetener, I just do my best to stick to stevia, monk fruit, or allulose. I use sweetener in my coffee.

And I have had days where I've eaten 3-4 donuts. And I've had days where I've eaten Ice Cream Cake. Like you said, special occasions. A few times a year. I just do my best to limit it to 1 day and go back to the original plan as soon as possible.
Fruit is consumed with fiber, that's a major major difference Jutz. I usually eat 2 bananas prior to tennis, there's a lot of benefits from different fruits but I'll point to berries of all shapes and sizes, they're very good for you and they do fight cancer so I'd load up.

Just my .02 and many other doctors and medical journals which we've been bashing but these things grow out of the ground, they were put here by God or mother nature, whichever and I think most folks should eat a lot more of them but they are f-bomb expensive for many and that's a problem.

Cheers!
Maybe we actually need more drug commercials, with more lists of side-effects at the end of them.
We actually need more detail on how often the drug works, and in whom, and how often its various side effects happen, and in whom. That's the info that is really helpful in determining if one should take it or not.

The part you write about sugar is what... as I listen to more and more podcasts... is really important. It really is in everything.

Made very little change since moving to France. In fact, I polish off an entire loaf of bread either daily or every 2 days. Lots of cheese. etc. Maybe I eat more veggies now, but it's debatable.
The difference is the quality of the food here. Especially prepackaged things. Yes, you can find sugar quite easily... But it's legitimately day and night as to what is put in foods here compared to back home, especially in regards to the amount of sugars and salts... and then preservatives

ESPECIALLY in the bread.

We try to cook as much as possible here, from ingredients directly from the market, the butcher shop, the fromagerie etc...

We have a bread shop here in town...Bread by Johnnys, guy started it right out of college, his bread is AMAZING and it's almost a meal by itself.
It tastes NOTHING like anything in a plastic bag in the grocery store. I have to watch how much I eat of it and it's like $12-$15 a loaf but there is no added BS in his bread and you feel healthy after you eat a couple slices. I don't even let them slice the bread, I just cut off a hunk with a bread knife. I don't go every week but there is a a major difference in his bread and whatever they put in Nature's Own, Arnolds, Wonder, they all stink. He uses a Sourdough for many of his breads, you can feel the difference

Last edited:

You’d do well to eliminate added sugar and ultra-processed foods, while limiting animal products.

Carbohydrates aren’t the enemy, unhealthy foods are. Of all the things you can eat, fruit is among the healthiest.

Appreciate it. I rather like eating an apple or an orange for breakfast so I'll keep it up. Tofu scramble on the weekends as a little treat.

ESPECIALLY in the bread.

We have a bread shop here in town...Bread by Johnnys, guy started it right out of college, his bread is AMAZING and it's almost a meal by itself.
It tastes NOTHING like anything in a plastic bag in the grocery store. I have to watch how much I eat of it and it's like $12-$15 a loaf but there is no added BS in his brea and you feel healthy after you eat a couple slices. I don't even let them the slice the bread, I just cut of a hunk with a bread knife. I don't go every week but there is a a major difference in his bread and whatever they put in Nature's Own, Arnlds, Wonder, they all stink. He uses a Sourdough for many of his breads, you can feel the difference

And that's what kills me... That bread is around the same price in canada. Insane price for flour, water, yeast.

You get that exact same bread here and it's anywhere from 1-1.30€. Bread HAS to be accessible to everyone. Billionaire or homeless, you eat the exact same quality bread. It's marvellous.

Appreciate it. I rather like eating an apple or an orange for breakfast so I'll keep it up. Tofu scramble on the weekends as a little treat.
I hate that you know how to draw me in
Agreed GM

Cheers!

Sorry if this comes off the wrong way, but I'm interested in the logic and not sure a better way to ask. It's one thing to say how you're cutting down on beer while equating it with sugar and "cocaine in a different form," but how do you reconcile that outlook with selling the product to others?
(Or do I have my admittedly poor notebook wrong?)

Users who are viewing this thread