What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thurman Thomas played without an ACL? (1 Viewer)

Pick

Footballguy
Just read that in TSN. Apparently, G Roberto Garza of the Bears has played the whole season without one also. I know you can run without ACLs but you can't move laterally. At least, that's what I heard and experienced myself.

:confused:

Exactly how are they able to cut then?
IIRC, there are two ligaments at the back of the knee, in the form of a X. The ACL is one, and I believe the other is called the posterior cruciate ligament (PCL). Perhaps the PCL can compensate over time to have enough strength to stabilize the knee on its own. The lateral knee ligaments probably strengthen a lot in this situation, too.

I played college wide receiver without knee caps, fingers, or feet. I had a big heart but had a lot of trouble getting open and then catching the ball.

I played college wide receiver without knee caps, fingers, or feet. I had a big heart but had a lot of trouble getting open and then catching the ball.
You could still burn Champ Baily so no worries.......

:thumbup: to the 'big heart'.Big Hearts are all you need to succeed in life. :yes:

So if this was something you've had for awhile then your body adapts I suppose? This concept just blows me away.

So if this was something you've had for awhile then your body adapts I suppose? This concept just blows me away.
Some things your body just needs more than others. It does "adapt" to some degree as well, but some things you can just get away without because they don't necessarily serve a critical function.You can live without a spleen without any SERIOUS issues. You can live without your tonsils and your appendix and your wisdom teeth without any issues at all.

A personal example:

I don't have any ligaments connecting my collar bone to my shoulder. A 3rd degree shoulder separation (which I've had) tears all of these ligaments. You CAN have surgery to get them reattached, but you don't really NEED to. My shoulder aches occasionaly (which is probably not a functions of the missing ligaments anyway), and it feels a little "funny" sometimes when I move it in odd positions, but it doesn't really cause me any significant pain and the joint feels generally stable enough to do anything I want to do.

Based on some things I've read and heard, I wouldn't be surprised to learn quite a few people are running around (literally) without ACLs that don't even know it. I suspect I may be missing an ACL actually. I heard and felt a pretty significant "pop" at one point and my knee gets pretty "wobbly" at odd times in odd situations, but I'm able to run and cut as well as I ever have (ignoring the age factor anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread