What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tiger Woods (5 Viewers)

I can't even defend his play today.

There isn't one aspect of his game that is working.

I had my knee operated on a few years back. I can ride a bike 100 miles, I can do any number of activities completely pain free without drugs/ice at all, but golf. By 9 holes I'm going for the advil. Every freaking time.

And I don't swing nearly as hard as he does.

He may not be done, but don't pretend it's gonna get better on it's own the way he treats it.

Nice drive into the trees followed up w. He can't hit a fairway and is still within 6 of the lead afterith a seemingly simple shot he shanks into the water.
Based on your posts in this thread, I can't take anything you say about golf seriously. Tiger has always had times in his career when he has struggled with driving, and this week he is playing horribly. He is still 6 off the lead after playing brutal all week. He will figure it out...he always does.At least let him play half a year before writing him off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice drive into the trees followed up w. He can't hit a fairway and is still within 6 of the lead afterith a seemingly simple shot he shanks into the water.
Based on your posts in this thread, I can't take anything you say about golf seriously. Tiger has always had times in his career when he has struggled with driving, and this week he is playing horribly. He is still 6 off the lead after playing brutal all week. He will figure it out...he always does.At least let him play half a year before writing him off.
Based on my posts? Seriously? The guy looks terrible today. He keeps bailing himself out. He looks defeated out there.

Based on my posts? Seriously? The guy looks terrible today. He keeps bailing himself out. He looks defeated out there.
Great observation.You could even go so far as to say he looks "career defeated". :thumbdown:

Yeah, seriously. You are arguing that he is done based on the fact that he hasn't performed at a god-like level for the last couple of months..although he did win Bay Hill and always finishes in top ten. You said he was done being dominant...which shows a total lack of perspective and acumen about the game of golf generally and Tiger's game specifically. He has struggled lately...no doubt. Your thread is ridiculous though.

I really thought that this might be the week he broke out of it. Very little pressure, a non-major. I hope he's not done. It's always fun watching a legend. I can't help but think of Gale Sayers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was his 5th stroke play event this year? He has 1 win and 4-5 top 10 finishes? His career winning percentage is somewhere just above 25%.

His C game is getting him top 10's. Let's see what happens the rest of the year.

He looked bad today. Finless as usual spot-on.
I watched every stroke. I feel even better about the thread this evening than I did on Friday. Lots of denial in this thread. Remember Mike Tyson? How long did it take for some people to let go?

Finless - I don't follow your comment. Can you explain?
Was thinking you'd reply with some sucker bet.

You say Tiger is done. I'll bet you $100 he wins a tournament before the end of the year. Waddya say?
No I sent you a PM with a legit bet if you think he's done.
My prediction.... No bet! :shock:
In Finless' hands. Legit offer made.
Couple problems here. We'd have to wait another 15 years potentially. What does Woods need to break it 5 more? I wouldn't take that bet. Too much money, too long to wait and you're from the internet. If you think it's a stretch to say he won;t break the record catch some of the articles out there. Also look up his odds to win majors.

He's done. He'll be competitive but he lost the fear factor. Looks like The Gold Bear might be out of the woods.
Understand ...so this statement above was fishing then right? I will be glad to to put a limit on the timeframe - say six years from now? And adjust the bet amount closer to something with which you are comfortable.

He's done. He'll be competitive but he lost the fear factor. Looks like The Gold Bear might be out of the woods.
Understand ...so this statement above was fishing then right? I will be glad to to put a limit on the timeframe - say six years from now? And adjust the bet amount closer to something with which you are comfortable.
Fishing? Did you miss the bolded? If you really want to gamble with me on Tiger we'll just have to take a look at his odds on the next tourney. This long term stuff doesn't work for me.

Fishing? Did you miss the bolded? If you really want to gamble with me on Tiger we'll just have to take a look at his odds on the next tourney. This long term stuff doesn't work for me.
Whoa cowboy - not lookin' for an ifight here. The point to this thread that you opened is clear - that Tiger's chances of breaking Jack's record aren't looking so good anymore. I like his chances quite a bit and extended a bet via PM. I didn't call you out. Let's not turn a "Joan" here and make this about the next tourney he plays.

Whoa cowboy - not lookin' for an ifight here. The point to this thread that you opened is clear - that Tiger's chances of breaking Jack's record aren't looking so good anymore. I like his chances quite a bit and extended a bet via PM. I didn't call you out. Let's not turn a "Joan" here and make this about the next tourney he plays.
Oh no fight intended whatsoever. I think they're are clearly 3 groups here. I am not alone. One group sees Tiger recovering - he'll be back dominating in no time. Another group sees him in a decline and that a combination of better players, a bad wheel and weakened confidence will have him much less competitive in the coming years. Then there's the group who really doesn't know.I'm not alone here. There's plenty of talk about Tiger's decline. Finishing in the top 5 or 10 isn't winning. He's a warrior but there's seems to be a tick getting in the way. He might turn it around but I wouldn't put my money there.

Oh no fight intended whatsoever. I think they're are clearly 3 groups here. I am not alone. One group sees Tiger recovering - he'll be back dominating in no time. Another group sees him in a decline and that a combination of better players, a bad wheel and weakened confidence will have him much less competitive in the coming years. Then there's the group who really doesn't know.I'm not alone here. There's plenty of talk about Tiger's decline. Finishing in the top 5 or 10 isn't winning. He's a warrior but there's seems to be a tick getting in the way. He might turn it around but I wouldn't put my money there.
The minor flaw in your theory is the amount of time you've allotted to Tiger to make a full time dominating return to the tour.

Tiger by far has been the most dominating athlete, maybe in history, in any sport. Might be struggling a little since his surgery by give him time, he will get his wins and his majors. I know it is impossible to compare athletes of different eras, but, there is no way that the golfers of the past played anywhere near the competitive fields that are put together today. Without question, Tiger is the best that has "ever" played the game of golf and he is nowhere near finished.

Today proved nothing, other than even great players can struggle with their swings from time to time. He'll see the tape and realize he was just getting stuck. It will be fixed, and he will win.

Anyone think that even though he looked bad and appears to be struggling he still finished in the top 10. I wonder if having a family now will temper the amount of time he dedicates to his game more than his knee or anything else. Time will tell.

Can't believe I'm defending Tiger as I'm not a fan, but finisihing 8th from a Tournament he never does well at is pretty damn good. He is far from done.

A lot of people trying to make excuses for Tiger right now.
I guess I'm missing something when the guy needs an excuse for winning one and finishing top 10 in the other 6 events he has played in. :blackdot:
What's the record for consecutive Top Tens? He's got 17 straight in stroke play events (won 10 of them).He's not quite right for sure. First day it was putting, missed 7 birdie putts inside 12 feet. Yesterday everything was 'spinners to the right' as he put it. Still grinds it out even when he's not hitting on all cylinders.I thought one of the best times to watch Tiger was not the dominant periods like 2000-01 or after he broke the majors drought, but during the 2003-04 when he wasn't winning majors. Even when his swing is off and the putts aren't dropping, he is a treat to watch. I've seen all the supposed great ones of this generation pull a Daly when they are out of contention. No one ever takes them (Els, Mickelson, Singh) to task for mailing in a round. Woods grinds it out no matter where he is at in a tourney.Never bet against him. He's got plenty left IMO.

Have any of those hating on Tiger ever been a serious golfer? :moneybag:
About to head down the links in a few.
So what's your freakin' point? There's only 4 things to consider here:1) Talent levelTiger's swing, especially with the driver, does go in and out. It always has. He can miss big time off the tee. He has repeatedly gone through periods where he gets stuck with his irons and blocks out to the rights. Those weeks - he still grinds/competes and usually finishes in the top 10, hardly ever missing a cut. But even he can't win the weeks he's swinging poorly. This is clearly nothing new for him. The weeks he is swinging on plane and putting well? Game over. That happens historically 25%+ of the time - hence his lifetime, incredible win percentage. Nothing has changed. Lots of players have pretty swings. Nobody is even on the same planet as this guy when it comes to mental toughness. Nobody. And that's the difference.2) DedicationSupposedly he's working harder on his game and fitness level than ever. He's already won tourneys (including a major) after Sam was born, so to think that this would interfere with his competitive desire is nonsense. Nothing's changed with his playing schedule and his will to be the best.3) CompetitionOne can argue that competition is tougher, but I don't buy it. They just rotate. Vijay, Phil, Sergio, Padraig, Stenson, etc - they play great in stretches then fall by the wayside. Tiger is the one constant. 4) AgeHe's young at 33, and at a minimum has 12 (I say longer) years to contend in majors. That's 48. So if you say he's got a 25% chance (his winning percentage) during his peak years (through age 40) that's 28 majors, and he will win about 7 of those by age 40. That obliterates Jack's record. And does anybody think he'll blank after age 40 when Kenny Perry and others have contended close to 50? He's got time.The only outlier is health. If he stays healthy, the above 4 truisms will apply.

He's a semi-professional fisherman I believe.

Nets, dynamite, whatever it takes.
Fisherman out with the local inspector, who's investigating his fishing technique ...fisherman lights a stick of dynamite, hands it to the inspector and says, "you gonna talk, or fish?"---

Tiger did struggle today ...and again finished top ten. What other golfer gets a graphic showing the courses where he has the lowest win percentage? Tiger's not done. He just needs more time to get his groove back. Although ..some of these young guns are showing skills with that "Tiger" power game.

A lot of people trying to make excuses for Tiger right now.
I guess I'm missing something when the guy needs an excuse for winning one and finishing top 10 in the other 6 events he has played in. :shrug:
What's the record for consecutive Top Tens?

He's got 17 straight in stroke play events (won 10 of them).He's not quite right for sure. First day it was putting, missed 7 birdie putts inside 12 feet. Yesterday everything was 'spinners to the right' as he put it. Still grinds it out even when he's not hitting on all cylinders.

I thought one of the best times to watch Tiger was not the dominant periods like 2000-01 or after he broke the majors drought, but during the 2003-04 when he wasn't winning majors. Even when his swing is off and the putts aren't dropping, he is a treat to watch. I've seen all the supposed great ones of this generation pull a Daly when they are out of contention. No one ever takes them (Els, Mickelson, Singh) to task for mailing in a round. Woods grinds it out no matter where he is at in a tourney.

Never bet against him. He's got plenty left IMO.
It's something stupid high like 71 or something from Nelson. Nobody will ever get halfway there again.

We all know that Tiger doesn't work hard enough. Tiger can't even come close to comparing to the workout regimens of guys like John Daly, Angel Cabrera or Happy Gillmore.

We all know that Tiger doesn't work hard enough. Tiger can't even come close to comparing to the workout regimens of guys like John Daly, Angel Cabrera or Happy Gillmore.
None of this sarcasm changes the fact that Tiger isn't the golfer he used to be. Sure he may be able to curl 120 on each arm but his swing has gone to ####. He spent his whole tournament bailing himself out of tough spots.

Tiger Woods done? :towelwave: What fools you are! Tiger will continue to win and will break the Major record in time. The guy plays, for him, horrible and still finishes in the Top 10. He was off for a year, he's got a few tweaks to make in his swing and he'll be right there winning again.

Users who are viewing this thread